• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 Beta Thread V: Real Talk Strikes Back [Tutorials]

Status
Not open for further replies.

MormaPope

Banned
I'm too scared to play public matches because the amount of venom in the community seems deadly. I've put 26 hours into playing against bots with other people and I'm slowly grasping plenty of elements in Dota.

Will probably play public matches around hour 50 or so. Sounds weird to say that for a game that's based around player vs player.

Ridli

I'm too scared to play public matches because the amount of venom in the community seems deadly. I've put 26 hours into playing against bots with other people and I'm slowly grasping plenty of elements in Dota.

Will probably play public matches around hour 50 or so. Sounds weird to say that for a game that's based around player vs player.

If you keep playing against bots you are probably going to start learning habits. Don't stay in there too long.

Dude, just the plain fact that you are putting in this much effort, that practicing has even crossed your mind, makes you better than a LOT of players, especially at the starting dredges you'll be playing at.

I say play ONE bot match with the character you want to play as, with a guide loaded up and everything so you get a feel for that hero and his role, and then go to MM with that hero immediately next match.

Xyber

Man, I tried a few games on d2ware. Shit is crazy. Haven't managed to get some insane combination of skills yet though. :(

Finally lost a match with Huskar. Lead the team in kills, but couldn't overcome the first-time Pudge player. He finished 0/11, I believe and missed all but one hook in 45+ minutes.

Can't do much about that.

are there any decent inhouse leagues in dota 2? because i'm starting to think that I might just give up on dota given how consistently awful matchmaking games are.\

edit: and by awful, i don't mean abusive players or anything like that. I mean my teammates simply refuse to cooperate or communicate. insane feeding is commonplace, and people don't understand or listen about what to do when they've lost a lane. they just keep going back and feeding again and again. and forget about wards or people buying couriers; that's the least of my problems. my actual skill at dota becomes irrelevant compared to trying to herd angry children.

What's your skill level roughly at?

i have no idea how to quantify my skill level. i've been told by people with way more skill than me that i'm ok. I don't pretend to be good.

I just feel frustrated that games are so time consuming, and yet I don't feel like I even get to play the real game most of the time. even stacking doesn't fix the problem because it just results in a lot of stomps because the other side gets the retards.

edit:
Whats your SteamID anyway?
faolchu. but the u has a rising accent on it. you may have occasionally seen me chatting in the gaf channel looking for matchmaking.

Finally lost a match with Huskar. Lead the team in kills, but couldn't overcome the first-time Pudge player. He finished 0/11, I believe and missed all but one hook in 45+ minutes.

How the fuck did you get matched with a first time Pudge player, when you are on the >1000 wins ratio.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist

That pudge has had 16 games as Pudge, and usually does pretty good. Not too sure what happened that game, he had very little impact looking at this damage done in the end.
http://dotabuff.com/players/101864633/matches?hero=pudge&game_mode=&match_type=real

Looking at the replay, the main issue is you guys just ignored life stealer for the first 20 minutes, and Pugna dumped all his money into Dagon upgrades. You were also the closest to a carry the team had, and Huskar doesn't really go that late.

MormaPope

Banned
Dude, just the plain fact that you are putting in this much effort, that practicing has even crossed your mind, makes you better than a LOT of players, especially at the starting dredges you'll be playing at.

I say play ONE bot match with the character you want to play as, with a guide loaded up and everything so you get a feel for that hero and his role, and then go to MM with that hero immediately next match.

Did just that. Found a build I really dug, went into a match and went 15-7 with 12 assists. The one hero that really sticks with me is Luna, her ultimate with the right build can clear an entire team out if timed right.

Won two games tonight as jungle Dark Seer. Went Soul Ring - Boots - Mek - Arcane Boots - Shiva's both times. Anything after that was fluff. Was Dire both times though, which I think makes it slightly easier. Did the small camp, medium when I could, while stacking the large. Once I got the large up to 3+ stacks I'd clear it out for $$$$. I'm sure there's slightly more efficient ways to do it - corners I could cut. Didn't look at a specific guide though. Skipped Hood/Pipe because either someone else got one, or our team didn't need really need one.

~11 minutes Mek both times. Vacuum into Shiva's is definitely great though.

I wasn't harassed at all though. Dark Seer is definitely harder to kill early than say, a jungling Lycan, thanks to surge, but being uninterrupted certainly helped.

Edit: This guide pretty much covers my methods - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAjPOyjWjl0

sixghost

Are there any carries you guys would recommend for someone who sucks with every carry besides Meepo? When I play with my normal matchmaking group, I tend to play 4 or 5, so I haven't had too much practice playing traditional single unit carries like PA or Jugg. Are Naga or Lone Druid similar? I really enjoy using 2 or more units at once.

Are there any carries you guys would recommend for someone who sucks with every carry besides Meepo? When I play with my normal matchmaking group, I tend to play 4 or 5, so I haven't had too much practice playing traditional single unit carries like PA or Jugg. Are Naga or Lone Druid similar? I really enjoy using 2 or more units at once.

Naga not so much. Lone Druid probably more up your alley.

remz

LD is probably your best bet.

Moving the bear is kind of like moving another less micro intensive meepo

shira

Just had a game where our BH went Heart first.

Why.

Kotl heart first. Welcome to trench

How the fuck did you get matched with a first time Pudge player, when you are on the >1000 wins ratio.
. . . They pull me back in

are there any decent inhouse leagues in dota 2? because i'm starting to think that I might just give up on dota given how consistently awful matchmaking games are.

edit: and by awful, i don't mean abusive players or anything like that. I mean my teammates simply refuse to cooperate or communicate. insane feeding is commonplace, and people don't understand or listen about what to do when they've lost a lane. they just keep going back and feeding again and again. and forget about wards or people buying couriers; that's the least of my problems. my actual skill at dota becomes irrelevant compared to trying to herd angry children.
CEDEC is pretty good I hear

What do people make of the solo queue matchmaking? I was keen to try it if it could reduce the number of stomps, since I think that's the thing I like least about the game. The queue times seem fine but I think the player pool is quite a bit smaller, I was matched with an absolute beginner more than once for the first time in a long time.

patapuf

Yep, had far too many stomps recently the teams are hardly ever balanced. The MM is trash.

Snowballing is part of the game. Even pro games often end in stomps . Loose 2 lanes in the beginning and it gets really difficult to come back with an unorganized team.

Not that there aren't really bad players in games sometimes.

SamVimes

Kotl heart. Riki shadow blade. Those are basically the two worst item combos for first item
Kotl never play like they're supposed to in pubs anyway. Riki i'm guessing thought he was so ahead that it didn't matter. Or just people following that shit site divine courage.
Snowballing is part of the game. Even pro games end in stomps often. Loose 2 lanes in the beginning and it gets really difficult to come back with an unorganized team.

Not that there aren't really bad players in games sometimes.

You also have to contextualise everything, that are matchups that you can't win solo.
For Example the other day in all random i got Spectre.I was bot with Timbersaw (that just pulled because there wasn't anything he could do) because apparently AA needed to go top against an hard lane Lich that was denying and nuking me all the time. Our Nyx had a pretty good score but the problem is that you need to understand that it doesn't matter if Nyx gets all the kills in toplane, when i can only get shit farm because everytime i approach the wave i lose 1/3 of my health. I got the first gank around 13 minutes even though half the time Lich was just in front of my tower.
If you watch the game without actually noticing what's happening bot lane you would just say i had shit farm and Nyx was doing great, but the truth is that i couldn't do much better.

shira

Kotl never play like they're supposed to in pubs anyway. Riki i'm guessing thought he was so ahead that it didn't matter. Or just people following that shit site divine courage.
KOTL reasoning was so he could survive longer. Team agreed - needs moar HP. Next item vanguard.
Nope. We were losing, even the winning team was trolling him.

I almost hit 1000XPM with Meepo. Greatest accomplishment in Dota 2 for me.

grats
4NOSIrh.gif

Spookie

What do people make of the solo queue matchmaking? I was keen to try it if it could reduce the number of stomps, since I think that's the thing I like least about the game. The queue times seem fine but I think the player pool is quite a bit smaller, I was matched with an absolute beginner more than once for the first time in a long time.

It's like MM before it got some love. It's swings hard both ways unfortunately. You're better off playing with the stacks and hoping for some luck.

Des0lar

will learn eventually

I wanted to like it, but it's shit. Since there are no stacks, people pick the worst shit possible and play like idiots. Avoid it and queue for normal matchmaking. Even if you play against stacks.... it's not worth the headache

I am above .500 playing solo queue, there is a sense of carelessness that comes with it that is refreshing from a pre-made.

It is better suited for those who don't rage often.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut

The venom won't really go away. You'll always have opponents or teammates flaming once in awhile; even the best players get flamed--seems to be human nature when online. The best thing you can do is dive in, grow some thick skin, and just not give a fuck; mute and report flamers.

i have no idea how to quantify my skill level. i've been told by people with way more skill than me that i'm ok. I don't pretend to be good.

I just feel frustrated that games are so time consuming, and yet I don't feel like I even get to play the real game most of the time. even stacking doesn't fix the problem because it just results in a lot of stomps because the other side gets the retards.

link your dotabuff. Also, if you want organized, legit
tryhard
matches, then queue up with friends and play AP/RD/CM. If you're solo queuing, it's like expecting your classmates in a PE pickup basketball game to call pick n rolls, plays, and positions.

So, VALVe's matchmaking is a bit plop then?

Compared to most games I've played, Dota 2's matchmaking is pretty solid. No matter how Dunnings people get, the fact is that they are getting queued with players close to their caliber (or teams that are balanced overall). Like someone else said above, there are just so many factors to a DOTA game that even the most closely balanced games will end in stomps sometimes. It's the nature of the game. Stomp =/= imbalanced teams by default. People just like to blame losses EXCLUSIVELY on external factors.

All the smurfs I see are usually scaled up to their true MMR pretty quickly as well.

Ultrabum

The matchmaking is fucking great, Warcraft 3 dota the matchmaking was the game title. No noobs, noobs only (which was useually some pro trying to get easy kills).

Holy shit that race to get the first Luna is heating up.

Pick your waifu

Nooooova!

Haha it's like the FemShep cover thing for ME3.

Working on my own Luna stuff but I haven't started modeling yet - just on 2D concepts.

Have a glaive and a shield design that I think will work, and a shoulder that's probably okay. Helmet/head-slot is giving me the most issues. Her default one is really good, so it's difficult to design a new one that a) doesn't look worse and b) fits in with the rest of the set design.

Could skip helmet and shoulders and just go for a glaive/shield set, which could be okay.

Mount I'm taking a pass on as that's a bit ambitious for me at the moment. I do have something in mind for that with another Luna set that I'd like to attempt in the future though.

May work on and finish my Spectre weapon before moving to the 3D work for Luna. Her requirements are up in the importer, but her model still isn't on the website yet - I'd have to extract it (or find it elsewhere) myself, which could be a bit of a pain. I also want to work on some stuff for Dark Seer, as he's been broken down for ages and hasn't gotten any love.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Currently downloading this... I vaguely remember playing the mod on Warcraft III. What am I in for? Ass kicking?

The WC3 mod, but with people knowing how to play more. It is an online video game, so don't be surprised by cry babies and people raging. You have a decent chance of getting your ass kicked your first game or ten unless you remember how to play, but you can just play a few co-op bot games to get familiar with the game.

GorillaJu

People are generally pretty polite I've found, these days anyway - it's just that common courtesy never sticks out, where hate speech and flaming is hard to forget. Even when I'm playing with really good players, and I make a bad play and know it, 90% of the time I don't get called out on it, probably because they expect you to know when you've done something dumb. There are people who will call you out on it in no uncertain terms though. There is also a type of person who thinks they're being helpful by constantly getting on your case for everything - just ignore them and it'll suddenly get peaceful.

You also get good moments mixed in with the bad. Today I was matched up with a 4-stack who talked all kinds of trash to me, blamed me for everything, called me terrible, etc. We lost that one. Next game I got matched with them again, the same two guys were constantly shit-talking me but we won that one convincingly. Then the next game, I got matched against that 4-stack and absolutely stomped their shit in. Not much feels better than pausing on them after you just got a triple kill to let it sink in.

Xater

I am above .500 playing solo queue, there is a sense of carelessness that comes with it that is refreshing from a pre-made.

It is better suited for those who don't rage often.

Solo matchmaking just takes way too long if you don't like playing All Pick and I avoid that game mode like the plague. If I am not palying with a 5 stack it always ends up with a 4 carry game with me as the only support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom