• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT2| Ellen Pudge starring in Beyond Two Throws

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lotto

Tong Fu just feeding like crazy. What happened to this team, geez, what a stomp by Vici.

Edit: sub-17 min gg what the hell

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Finally broke my 8 game losing streak... By having my entire stack pick our best heroes.

Is this what Dota has become?

Aaron

I don't think this is the game for you, literally 70% of my matches are like this.
You need to join more guilds and get with playing the same people regularly instead of spinning the wheel with randoms. It's a much better experience. The GiantBomb guild sometimes has inhouse matches, which are the most fun I've had with the game. You haven't lived until you've gone all Pudge. Once I finished building a mech, our team went on an insane hook charge that turned into fly buzzing madness.

My sweetest friend.
Everyone I know goes SB in the end.

elyetis

Finally broke my 8 game losing streak... By having my entire stack pick our best heroes.

To be fair it's not like the matchmaking can know before hand if you are gonna play try hard, or have fun with a hero you never played.

Smurf is sadly the only answer to separate game with your best hero, to game with hero you don't even have 5 matchs with.

I might be alone on that but god I want a AP mod where random doesn't exist, seeing people random the repick without asking if anyone was interested in a swap, make me hate my time while the match didn't even began. Same thing with seeing the entire ennemy team random a perfect lineup, + knowing they have far more gold than us.
On another hand, I now did about 4-5 captain draft, and it does feel like a really good mod, the pleasure of captains mode but without only seeing top tier pick, and perfect combo setup.

demented

Get in game, no one talking. Ok. After picks someone talks, it's Russian. Ok I understand plenty it's fine.
Rus Veno says lagg and abandons, at this point we're leading like 20 5 (got spirit breaker in SD :p), Rus bane whining whole game, feeds few times leaves. Rus PA hasn't said anything whole game keeps farming jungle and not doing anything except charging 5 man alone and dying when rest of us are dead. Sniper IDK what's he been doing but has no items.

GG for them ofc but still had 10 more kills at end...

meh, I really should follow my own advice and play with guild/stacks, or well what people above me have been saying as well.

( if anyone cares http://dotabuff.com/matches/338538571 )

Hylian7

So a couple of questions to any lurking Lone Druid experts here.

1. Is there any hard and fast rule as to where the bear will show up when you use Return on it? I tried to pull some Sylar shit when I was getting tower dived (I was on Dire, so I was running north) and used Return, and instead of bodyblocking my enemies, I accidentally bodyblocked myself which got me killed.

2. I feel like I die a lot more than I should in teamfights, and I feel like this is due to my positioning of Sylla. Should I basically just have him stay back and have the bear do the fighting, or both attack the target, or what? I usually have both attack the target and I feel like it's painting a big target on Sylla and then either we lose the teamfight, or we win it and don't survive so we don't have as strong of pushing power.

3. Regarding items, is there any point I should be moving everything to Sylla or just leaving it there? My usual build is Phase Boots for the bear, Maelstrom for the bear, and from there I go either AC on Sylla (because the aura spreads to the bear), or Basher on the bear.

4. True form. I know pretty much once I have it I should stay in it unless I really need to be ranged or need the movement speed. I guess this ties back into the item question. What exactly am I doing with Sylla? I know LD is a carry with extreme pushing power, but everyone always says things go on the bear, but the bear has no attributes and does not gain anything by Sylla leveling up.

Demoli

1. Is there any hard and fast rule as to where the bear will show up when you use Return on it? I tried to pull some Sylar shit when I was getting tower dived (I was on Dire, so I was running north) and used Return, and instead of bodyblocking my enemies, I accidentally bodyblocked myself which got me killed.

2. I feel like I die a lot more than I should in teamfights, and I feel like this is due to my positioning of Sylla. Should I basically just have him stay back and have the bear do the fighting, or both attack the target, or what? I usually have both attack the target and I feel like it's painting a big target on Sylla and then either we lose the teamfight, or we win it and don't survive so we don't have as strong of pushing power.

3. Regarding items, is there any point I should be moving everything to Sylla or just leaving it there? My usual build is Phase Boots for the bear, Maelstrom for the bear, and from there I go either AC on Sylla (because the aura spreads to the bear), or Basher on the bear.

4. True form. I know pretty much once I have it I should stay in it unless I really need to be ranged or need the movement speed. I guess this ties back into the item question. What exactly am I doing with Sylla? I know LD is a carry with extreme pushing power, but everyone always says things go on the bear, but the bear has no attributes and does not gain anything by Sylla leveling up.

This is my take on the your questions:

1. I feel the bear return to the druid's left most often, and if not to his back. I guess if the treeline is blocking the space where the bear would normally appear it will spawn in front of you or something along those lines.

2. As Sylla, you must position yourself as a fragile support and your bear as a carry similar to alchemist or skeleton king. You should refrain from attacking with Sylla, since he is way more fragile than the bear until at least lvl16. You also hit like a wet noodle and don't have the gigantic bonus of the roots as the bear does, so you are really not a threat to the enemy team in a mid to late game teamfight.

3. Keep everything on the bear, since it'll be the bear doing the face tanking and not Sylla itself. AC on the bear gives it i think +15 armour, which he'll need if he's tanking damage, whle Sylla should not be taking damage at all. My item build depends on the game, if i'm jungling, offlaning or safe lane farming, and which enemies i am facing. My favourite is Midas into phase + brown boots into radiance, following with an Ac and basher for the bear. I usually also pick up acloak and a magic stick on Sylla, and if they have a lot of backstabbers like bounty hunter, clinkz, riki and weaver, I pick up a Ghost Sceptre. If the game goes very late game, mkb and abyssal on bear and either daedalus or mjolnir for the last bear slot, and Heart, Scythe, Mkb, abyssal and buterfly on Sylla, but you'll never to the point where you'll be 12 slotted, as sylla is not the ebst late game carry and if you got that late, you probably won't win the game.

4. Stay in true form, it'll allow you to escape from msot ganks due to your obnoxious health gain. It also gives your bear that damage and armour from his red paw thingy. I know it seems wierd ignoring the hero to focus on his summon unit, but the ebar is just so much more threatening than the druid is, plus, by playng safe, you can use your ressumon as a buyback of sorts.

b

But srsly nothing makes me madder than hell then people who don't play for the team. Those who last pick random medusa with 3 carries already on the team and act like repick is a foreign concept, then try to evade all blame when your ancient is getting pushed in. People who take 100% cs then ask you to get wards, or ask why you're dying when you're still sitting in brown boots with gg branches. I buy wards as 1-3 all the time if my support isn't getting enough gold from towers/assists. I think most people have the mechanical skills to play dota well, they lack the foresight to pick a good balanced team is what causes extremely lopsided games.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
iVV5UlWvuKFUN.PNG

The Scammers Strike Again With Hilarity, part 2, electric boogaloo

Oh, that guy added me too, I just ignored him. Was that guy just after Dragon Claw hooks?

b

But srsly nothing makes me madder than hell then people who don't play for the team. Those who last pick random medusa with 3 carries already on the team and act like repick is a foreign concept, then try to evade all blame when your ancient is getting pushed in. People who take 100% cs then ask you to get wards, or ask why you're dying when you're still sitting in brown boots with gg branches. I buy wards as 1-3 all the time if my support isn't getting enough gold from towers/assists. I think most people have the mechanical skills to play dota well, they lack the foresight to pick a good balanced team is what causes extremely lopsided games.

Yeah fucked up picks probably piss me off more than poor play though I'd rather have an extra carry than a last pick Pudge...when you already have 2+ heroes that can go mid and are in desperate need of a support.

I mean I guess the mentality is something like "fuck you, I'm playing what I want to have fun", but they're griefing the other people on the team by not picking into at least a somewhat balanced lineup with a good shot at winning.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Yeah fucked up picks probably piss me off more than poor play though I'd rather have an extra carry than a last pick Pudge...when you already have 2+ heroes that can go mid and are in desperate need of a support.

I mean I guess the mentality is something like "fuck you, I'm playing what I want to have fun", but they're griefing the other people on the team by not picking into at least a somewhat balanced lineup with a good shot at winning.

Yes this is why I have become so fond of Captain's Draft, even as a solo player but moreso as a 3-stack or more. I love drafting and I will always take people's requests into account, but first and foremost I can ensure that the team we draft is viable.

Single Draft is almost entirely luck, as you can just as easily be saddled with 5 Carries as 5 Supports. I don't really understand why they like to break down hero choices as Str/Agi/Int. The draft choices IMO should contain at least one carry and one support.

Random Draft is a bit better but still dependent on your team. At least if you go last you can attempt to pick something your team needs, but there's nothing more frustrating than having first pick and watching the other 4 make abominable choices.

BeesEight

Hurray, new thread!

Been so busy this last week that I've had almost no time for Dota. I feel like I'm in withdrawal. At least I know the only thing that'll change once my schedule frees up is the amount of hats.

sixghost

1. I'm not exactly sure, but it always seems like if Druid is moving while the bear is recalled, it will be behind you. So if you're trying to recall the bear to body block while you hide in the trees, that should work as long as your moving.

2. If it's a stomp, get the druid in there to do a bit more damage, or use him to bodyblock or run to a spot to cut off the enemy so you can recall the bear ahead of them. In big teamfights, unless you are super far ahead in levels, like you get a quick 16 with midas, you need to just let the bear fight and keep Druid safe.

3. I don't really do this myself, but I dont think you want anything besides boots and maybe a wand on Druid until super later game, unless you really need a cloak or something. AC should go on the bear for the attack speed and extra armor.

4. I stay in druid form unless there's a fight coming up, I need to use the damage boost for hitting a tower, or if I'm worried about getting ganked. Druid form is way faster and allows you to jungle more quickly by virtue of running to the next camp right before the bear kills the current one.

Also, you should really try midas->radiance, or just straight to radiance if you like LD. Pushing other lanes with radiance bear is what makes to hero so damn strong.

shira

Interesting jpg. If I may...

A/D.

Competition against other humans is designed with the expectation that you (a) want to win and (b) are willing to try. If the challenge of proving your IQ and ability against someone else and standing atop their broken remains isn't the reason it's fun, why not just play bots? To me it's like basketball. You can play against other guys or you can play at a hoop by yourself. If you want competition (that is, partaking in a battle of wills and skills in an effort to claim temporary victory), you play with the people and your goal is to win.

Hell, even when I'm trying a new hero against real people for the first time, I'm pissed if I lose. I'm almost always positive and encouraging as I'm a really nice guy in general, but ...

...losing just isn't part of my DNA. It's not acceptable, ultimately. If I'm losing, it becomes my mission to figure out what I'm doing wrong, correct it, and shit down the next guy's throat. I go to the lab (usually in lobbies all by myself or against bots or 1v1's with friends) until I've worked out the problems or understand the matchups that caught me slipping better so that next time I can be successful. I'm watching replays to see what I'm doing wrong or what others are doing wrong and I take those mental notes. Notes about the big picture, the ebb and flow of the match. Notes about the little picture, individual lane matchups and execution. If I lose, I think about what I needed to do to win. If I'm winning, I think about the shit I could have done better to win more decisively. Even in in-house matches. It's all fun and games, but I still want to crit your face for 1.2k on the way to a stomp.

Failure is only temporary. Success is inevitable with proper repetition and expectation. To that end, if losing is a satisfactory conclusion for you (not you, but in general) on a given day (or every day), I'm not the guy you want in your party because we don't have the same goals...and not having the same goals usually ends badly. Some of my friends I never play with because they just play for something to do and even after thousands of matches, their game hasn't improved. Don't have time for that. So yea if losing ever became a satisfactory conclusion for me, I'd quit the next day.

Now understand...I get no enjoyment out of losses (they can be entertaining, but in the end they're empty at best and fucking frustrating at worst), but I always take the time to learn as much as possible from every moment of every loss. There is always, always much to learn. It's why I hate people who have a built-in desire to quit before games are truly over (this is a bigger problem in League than Dota since there's no quit option unless you're in a lobby). Often times, it's the losses when you learn the most and see the biggest flaws in your game. Teachable moments abound, if you will.

So yea, it's A for me. Or perhaps it's D, because a game can be a "good game" even if it's a loss. But I'm won't be "happy" or completely satisfied, if that makes sense. But I've had very few performances, win or loss, that I was completely and totally satisfied with my performance in.

Interesting, having played with you I can see this 100%. I don't really care for winning, as long as it is a well played game. Nothing more satisfying than chaining combos or executing a plan/strat to perfection if it be us or the other team. Seeing good play and reproducing it from the pros or milk is really satisfying; good play is what gets my endorphins rushing.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
DOTO

AwR9oMs.jpg

Swaps between A and B/C.

To me the journey in a game is the most important. If I played well and our team coordinated and did their job, but we got outplayed in the end. I'm good with that. I'm here to learn and improve and if that means a non-victory that's fine. There are better players than me out there.

If I've had some shitty streaks though, I'll go full try hard. Some games won this way are far less satisfying. That's not really a 'gg' in my eyes. They just got crushed by some pubstomp hero I played since I wanted a win, or someone on their team fed, or couldn't lane for shit.

Duesy

I have a few games as LD so I might qualify for this.

1. As others have said, it looks like it will recall either to the left or slightly behind because you will be running.

2. In team fights and in general, you should be staying in the back until you start winning the fight or until you land a root on someone that isn't a serious threat. Battle cry or whatever the true form skill is that increases your damage adds quite a bit of dps so it's good to pop that once you get a root and can just wail on someone with both your bear and hero.

During the later parts of the game you aren't as tanky as you were in the mid game so it's better to just stand back.

3. As for items, generally cloak and tranquils on the hero and Midas, depending on if you jungle or if your farm is good in lane, into radiance and AC on the bear. You should put everything on the bear because he needs to armor to survive fights. I don't like maelstrom because you can't split push with the bear with it and radiance just allows you to farm faster. Most games should be over by this time by the time you get AC. LD is a subpar late game carry.

LD is kind of like AM in the sense that you should be split pushing to cause the other team to back while you get your core up, otherwise you won't be very strong in fights. In an ideal game, all t2 towers down in 20 minutes. You are able to rax faster than the entire enemy team unless they have some insane push, so you can definitely punish them for grouping up and trying to end early before you get too strong.

4. Everything on the bear; most of the items you should be picking up don't have attributes on them anyways.

Demoli

Great the pl on my team that just demanded mid from a TA just stole her bottle.

Just when you think you are out of it, it pulls you back in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom