• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT3| #BetterThenEllenPudge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh what the hell, that game I won just disappeared into the ether. I pressed close on the end screen and DOTA2 said I was still in a game. It would give me a server error when I tried to reconnect and when I finally did press leave game it didn't give me any record of the match having happened (even an abandon).

Weird.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I don't know why people think ursa counters ES when dude has a skill that pushes ursa away when he rages
Right clickers do. Lycan is the best imo since you treat ES like Pudge and stick a wolf on him + can't be slowed and run at max speed.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.

So what's the upside of using "Dota Marks"? I see there are a lot of restrictions on what "Dota Marks" can be used for but I don't understand the actual significance of your work having a "Dota Mark".

And if I'm reading this right, should the creator of Pudge Wars choose to port it to the DOTA2 engine, they cannot profit from it at all? Not even through some sort of deal with Valve like with Workshop creators?

So what's the upside of using "Dota Marks"? I see there are a lot of restrictions on what "Dota Marks" can be used for but I don't understand the actual significance of your work having a "Dota Mark".

And if I'm reading this right, should the creator of Pudge Wars choose to port it to the DOTA2 engine, they cannot profit from it at all? Not even through some sort of deal with Valve like with Workshop creators?
I think what Valve are intending to do is the same deal as CS:GO, where there's a whole bunch of free maps (including copyrighted stuff) on the Workshop but they'll occasionally add official maps and monetize them (while still being able to play them in custom games and such)

I imagine Pudge Wars would be one of the first, since it's Pudge Wars.

Quesa

Right clickers do. Lycan is the best imo since you treat ES like Pudge and stick a wolf on him + can't be slowed and run at max speed.

See that's a better counter. Ursa, on the other hand, needs bkb and blink/sb to properly counter a good ES. I guess he's also tanky which makes him harder to gank alone.

I think I've found a new pub stomp god.

Ursa.

Won my last 6 games as Ursa in the mid to upper 3k bracket. He seems to have such a huge impact not only in the early game with ganking, but once you do your first Rosh it seems the enemy just goes completely on the defensive. Not only that but in team fights while you are able to be kited, you have such a huge impact because you are the TARGET and everyone goes nuts on you but most are busy running out of melee range of you. Had trouble against a clock in my first game but a forcestaff fixed that, blink dagger in all the other games.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
See that's a better counter. Ursa, on the other hand, needs bkb and blink/sb to properly counter a good ES. I guess he's also tanky which makes him harder to gank alone.
If you waste your silence to just move an Ursa (he should have slow'd you) it's a pretty good deal.

Zephyx

Too bad Lycan is not that viable in CM games. Reliant on too much farm and is lacking a good disable. I want to use him properly, but there are so many better carries out there.

Razzer

Too bad Lycan is not that viable in CM games. Reliant on too much farm and is lacking a good disable. I want to use him properly, but there are so many better carries out there.

Well luckily you don't have to worry about ES counters in CM either. Though if you were speaking generally then yeah.

Zephyx

Well luckily you don't have to worry about ES counters in CM either. Though if you were speaking generally then yeah.

ES can be situational though. It's unpopular but some teams do pick it. With the metagame today focusing on aggression, ES is out of place due to it being a defensive support and lack of initiaition without a blink dagger. I thought that the support pool was going to get bigger with the recent changes we had, but it seems more restricted now.

Razzer

ES can be situational though. It's unpopular but some teams do pick it. With the metagame today focusing on aggression, ES is out of place due to it being a defensive support and lack of initiaition without a blink dagger. I thought that the support pool was going to get bigger with the recent changes we had, but it seems more restricted now.

You realize the ES they are talking about is Earth Spirit not Shaker right?

Mohasus

They are talking about Earth Spirit, not Earthshaker.

i was watching merlini play tinker, and i just realized something

i remember watching eternalenvy play storm, and before he uses his soul ring, he drops his bloodstone on the floor, then uses soul ring, gains 140 mana, but when he picks up the bloodstone again, the mana he gains is proportional to the total mana, which means he gets the bloodstone bonus, then he only loses 140. so it's like he gains 500 mp or whatever

the thing is, why don't people do that on tinker? you wouldn't even need to go base if you had a bloodstone. it would still be worth it with a hex. lvl 1 rearm + lvl 4 march is only 340 mp

Zephyx

i was watching merlini play tinker, and i just realized something

i remember watching eternalenvy play storm, and before he uses his soul ring, he drops his bloodstone on the floor, then uses soul ring, gains 140 mana, but when he picks up the bloodstone again, the mana he gains is proportional to the total mana, which means he gets the bloodstone bonus, then he only loses 140. so it's like he gains 500 mp or whatever

the thing is, why don't people do that on tinker? you wouldn't even need to go base if you had a bloodstone. it would still be worth it with a hex. lvl 1 rearm + lvl 4 march is only 340 mp

Bloodstone is not that useful if you are tinker, imo. It's expensive at that price since you can get better, re-armable items such as Manta Style or E-Blade. Better gear up for a hex, shiva's, blink/force staff, BoT and dagon and other useful/clickable items as your core. That's 5 slots already without the bloodstone. You won't need that regen anyways since you can always TP back to base.

Anyway, I've never seen a Soul Ring SS. Better get a bottle (if mid) or rush Orchid (if you're safe lane). Can you share the replay?

Sibylus

Banned
I prefer flat mana over regen for Tinker, may as well have a large reserve to draw upon if you're pushing and fighting before you BoTs out.

Razzer

Bloodstone is not that useful if you are tinker, imo. It's expensive at that price since you can get better, re-armable items such as BKB, Manta Style or E-Blade. Better gear up for a hex, shiva's, blink/force staff, BoT and dagon and other useful/clickable items as your core. That's 5 slots already without the bloodstone. You won't need that regen anyways since you can always TP back to base.

Anyway, I've never seen a Soul Ring SS. Better get a bottle (if mid) or rush Orchid (if you're safe lane). Can you share the replay?

BKB can't be rearmed.

NBtoaster

That doesn't seem to apply to Dota 2. It seems to just enable people to use the Dota name in Starcraft II and Warcraft 3 as long as they don't pretend it's official or made by Valve or make money of it.

I wonder just how big this update is if they plan on multiple days. They've already covered about 90% of what Wraith Night's page advertised in just one day. We haven't even touched heroes, balance or hero visual remakes (all of which Wraith Night also had), making me wonder what's going on that they had enough material for 2, possibly 3, days.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I wonder just how big this update is if they plan on multiple days. They've already covered about 90% of what Wraith Night's page advertised in just one day. We haven't even touched heroes, balance or hero visual remakes (all of which Wraith Night also had), making me wonder what's going on that they had enough material for 2, possibly 3, days.

Maybe so, but remember that often Day 2 is thematic and announces no content at all.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
when have we ever had a day 2 after a day 1 with info? Wraith Night just had 2 days of nothing before the reveal, this format is actually a bit different for Dota 2.

Well the day one has previously had info that turned out to be inaccurate, such as for Frostivus, with Day 2 then saying it's canceled.

I agree it's different. Just not sure what to expect tomorrow.

Randdalf

Honestly, I don't think they'll go for three days of content. I can see the last day simply being "it's out guys!" whilst tomorrow is "here's techies!"

Honestly, I don't think they'll go for three days of content. I can see the last day simply being "it's out guys!" whilst tomorrow is "here's techies!"

You think the test client update will go out tomorrow? If it's only 2 days of content, they'd have to do the test tomorrow for release on day 3, which would be tuesday

Which I supposed makes a bit of sense because TF2 is supposed to have a big update soonish, so if TF2 is having a big update this week, they might want to space them out, with Dota before it because it has the bigger server load

Randdalf

You think the test client update will go out tomorrow? If it's only 2 days of content, they'd have to do the test tomorrow for release on day 3, which would be tuesday

Which I supposed makes a bit of sense because TF2 is supposed to have a big update soonish, so if TF2 is having a big update this week, they might want to space them out, with Dota before it because it has the bigger server load

Yup. I think the difference between these sort of daily reveals between Dota 2 and TF2 is that there is much more to reveal in TF2 than Dota, like maps, weapons, (god-forbid) hats, new game modes, etc. Whereas Dota has been typically limited to new heroes and crappy economy stuff.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
So just how does "Coaching" a party work? Like, can the coach see everything the other five players can see? That seems like it would be useful just from a strategic standpoint, having an extra pair of eyes

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
you can only see what your team sees so yes

Still, that seems really useful. Its real time, right? Not delayed by anything? Having someone who's sole attention is on monitoring when enemy heroes go missing and where they were headed or who can check enemy items in the heat of a fight seems like a strategic advantage.

kasane

Still, that seems really useful. Its real time, right? Not delayed by anything? Having someone who's sole attention is on monitoring when enemy heroes go missing and where they were headed or who can check enemy items in the heat of a fight seems like a strategic advantage.

It is and you can talk to them

Chris R

I've almost gotten my friend into Dota. Issue is, the only hero he likes so far is Sniper. Thinking of ending our friendship.

Sniper is a great hero to start with though, its like a ranged Skelly King. Just get into AP with them and have them random. It's served me well.

Just make sure they max shrapnel first

Qvoth

can't believe they didn't name the horse red hare or red rabbit
that's the legendary horse from 3 kingdoms, lu bu's horse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom