• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Double Fine Adventure ("Broken Age") Development Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

2th

Banned
Double Fine Adventure Development |OT|

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/66710809/double-fine-adventure
fpnG8.png

Welcome to the Adventure
The world of video game design is a mysterious one. What really happens behind the closed doors of a development studio is often unknown, unappreciated, or misunderstood. And the bigger the studio, the more tightly shut its door tends to be. With this project, we're taking that door off its hinges and inviting you into the world of Double Fine Productions, the first major studio to fully finance their next game with a Kickstarter campaign and develop it in the public eye.

Founded in 2000 by industry veteran Tim Schafer (Day of the Tentacle, Full Throttle, Grim Fandango), the San Francisco-based company has established itself as a unique creative force with critically-acclaimed titles such as Pyschonauts, Brutal Legend, Costume Quest, Stacking, Iron Brigade, Once Upon a Monster, and Double Fine Happy Action Theater. This year, you'll be given a front-row seat as they revisit Tim's design roots and create a brand-new, downloadable "Point-and-Click" graphic adventure game for the modern age.

About the Project
Over a six-to-eight month period, a small team under Tim Schafer's supervision will develop Double Fine's next game, a classic point-and-click adventure utilizing modern touch technology. Where it goes from there will unfold in real time for all the backers to see.

2 Player Productions will be documenting the creative process and releasing monthly video updates exclusively to the Kickstarter backers. This documentary series will strive to make the viewer as much a part of the process as possible by showing a game grow from start to finish, with all the passion, humor, and heartbreak that happens along the way. Double Fine is committed to total transparency with this project, ensuring it is one of the most honest depictions of game development ever conceived.

There will be a private online community set up for the backers to discuss the project with the devs and submit their thoughts and feelings about the game's content and direction, sometimes even voting on decisions when the dev team can't decide. Backers will also have access to help test the game once a beta is available. Once the game is finished, backers will receive the completed version in the available format of their choice.

For fans of adventure games, this is a chance to prove that there is still a large demand out there for a unique medium that inspired so many of us.

Platforms
PC, Mac, Linux, iOS, and Android!

Feedback
Double Fine has setup up their own forums for this but I was given the ok to make this OT by one of their producers. The forums are up at the Double Fine website. http://www.doublefine.com/forums/

MAKE SURE YOU REGISTER USING THE SAME EMAIL ADDRESS YOU USE FOR KICKSTARTER

Remember to be careful of what you say here for the time being, but they will be working on their stance on privacy.

Progress (I will be posting a list of updates, sans the information for now, so people know exactly how many updates we get for this.)

March 23 - Update #7: Unleash the Backers!
Forums Opened

Been waiting on my registration email for about 5 minutes now...

Once you sign up it will take about 24 hours for your account to be activated, at which point you will be able to see and post on all the Double Fine public forums. It will take another 24 hours or so until the backer forums magically appear, but then you'll be good to go!

*)

Dipswitch

Just registered myself - got kicked out once and it went through the second time. Seems like their fervent hopes that the forums would handle the load were somewhat overly optimistic.

Oh well, it's just forum access.

I'm completely avoiding those forums as I want the game to be completely fresh when it's actually released. I doubt I'll be in this much either.

2th

Banned
already PM'd a mod by the way to get the name changed to add the line "In Schafer We Trust" sorry for the bland OT. I was in a rush since i got the email about their forums going up.

El-Suave

I'm completely avoiding those forums as I want the game to be completely fresh when it's actually released. I doubt I'll be in this much either.

I kind of want to do the same thing myself, but especially with the documentary it seems one would miss out on a lot of fun when it happens. I think I'll watch and participate and see how they handle spoilers. Then I decide whether to stop or not.

Haunted

Site is down for me. Looks like 80,000 people trying to hop on at the same time was too much haha.

btw, what's the official stance towards discussion in this thread? I mean, the whole point of the backers forum is that it's only for backers and not public. >_>

Site is down for me. Looks like 80.000 people trying to hop on at the same time was too much haha.

btw, what's the official stance towards discussion in this thread? I mean, the whole point of the backers forum is that it's only for backers and not public. >_>

Tim said not to share art or vids, and even to tell DF when you see that on other sites.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Info will get out, there's no way around that. But it doesn't mean we'll be allowed to discuss that here.

Can't wait to get my account approved :)

Zeliard

Site is down for me. Looks like 80,000 people trying to hop on at the same time was too much haha.

duckroll has said discussing private forum stuff here is a no-no.

Haunted

I hope they have a good moderating team. The forum will most likely be horrible.
I'm not sure why you would think that. Adventure fans are nice people.

Just expect of a lot of pretty broken English from the German portion of the backers. :p

Lissar

Reluctant Member
It's looking like info is probably going to be kept very private (based on what is being said in the forums.) Disappointing, but I suppose expected.

I kind of want to do the same thing myself, but especially with the documentary it seems one would miss out on a lot of fun when it happens. I think I'll watch and participate and see how they handle spoilers. Then I decide whether to stop or not.

Yeah, it's going to be hard avoiding those monthly documentary episodes. But I'm going to try hard to save it all for after playing the game.

Dreweyes

I didnt get any sort of captcha, just clicked the link, and I can access the forum.
Probably cause I already had an account?

Lissar

Reluctant Member
actually there is supposedly a post on the forums where the backers will get to decide what happens with this.

But right now it's like at 50/20 with super private winning. I doubt we're going to be able to share.

Sharing video is an absolutely no-no regardless though.

2th

Banned
But right now it's like at 50/20 with super private winning. I doubt we're going to be able to share.

Sharing video is an absolutely no-no regardless though.

wish i could see it but i have a had a forum account over at double fine before this and it isnt using the same email as my kickstarter account. now i have to wait for this to get changed so i can see it.

as for staying super secret i vote no. i think it would amazing to have a very transparent game development process for the entire world to see for the most part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom