• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doug Lombardi did not leave Valve. Stop hyperventilating and go read a book.

MRORANGE

Gaben works in mysterious ways.

ibxxQ3i9Bwou83.jpg

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Marketing VPs have pretty valuable skills that can translate easily to really any industry. It's not crazy to think he just took a better job somewhere else or upgraded to a Chief Marketing Officer (or better) position.

Especially considering Valve's crazy success with Steam, now may have been a good time to leverage himself into a better position.

edit: Okay it's not true then lol

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Can't help but feel company morale is insanely low. They don't have the same drive for developing games anymore. Just about everything they work on is in development hell / limbo. Maybe they have set a standard that is too high for themselves internally. Valve/Steam needs less worship as a digital platform and more tough love criticism as a games developer.

They aren't beholden to anyone but the consumers, and as such have completely self-imposed publishing schedules. The concept of "development hell" has a completely different meaning in this situation, if it applies at all. We're conditioned to think that game taking longer than 2-3 years must be a disastrous project, but Valve doesn't work the same way as the rest of the industry.

I agree with your point about high standards. That combined with no time limits does have its downsides as far as actually putting games out there. But they know that HL3 has to do something really new and different to be received as anything other than a disappointment, and they're probably working to achieve that, if they're working on it at all.

Zzoram

Right after Gabe talked about the importance of being a self owned company? I don't think so man.

Maybe the employees had some kind of revenue sharing options and someone made a huge bid on Valve. Gabe turned it down and employees are upset they didn't get to cache out?

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
This thread is now about how shit LinkedIn is.
Don't ever use Linked-in as confirmation. It's a horrible website that people frequently use incorrectly. Many times, instead of "Date - Present" being displayed, if the user enters the data in the wrong field, it will show "Date - <current month/year>," which looks like an end date but actually isn't. For example, if Doug doesn't touch his Linkedin account, on March 1st that entry will say: "January 2000 - March 2013."

Maztorre

Can't help but feel company morale is insanely low. They don't have the same drive for developing games anymore. Just about everything they work on is in development hell / limbo. Maybe they have set a standard that is too high for themselves internally. Valve/Steam needs less worship as a digital platform and more tough love criticism as a games developer.

Or you could do the bare minimum of research and see that Valve are constantly putting out content for all their games. But please, tell me more about DOTA2/CS:GO/Portal 2/TF2's development hell in recent times.

Half-Life 3 will be shown when Source 2 is ready and the minimum spec on PC is raised in line with next-gen consoles.

HoosTrax

Why no <mail> ? Is that a GMail setting?

jbovsTK7quz1P5.JPG

They censored out lombardid@valvesoftware.com?
I'm guessing you don't use g-mail? The tiny little arrow next to the word "me"/"Doug" displays the person's full info, including e-mail address. I don't recall when this was changed, as earlier versions of g-mail probably displayed the address by default.

And regardless, the polite thing to do would have been to censor-filter out Lombardi's e-mail, even if it's commonly known. (referring to the guy who contacted him and posted the screenshot)

Kadayi

Banned
Or you could do the bare minimum of research and see that Valve are constantly putting out content for all their games. But please, tell me more about DOTA2/CS:GO/Portal 2/TF2's development hell in recent times.

Surprising as it may seem but not everyone gives a damn about multi-player or hats.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Surprising as it may seem but not everyone gives a damn about multi-player or hats.

Did you not read the post he quoted? The comment wasn't, "just about everything they work on is of no interest to me", but "just about everything they work on is in development hell/limbo".

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
His LinkedIn profile has now been fixed:

VP of Marketing
Valve corporation
January 2000 – Present (13 years 2 months)

DaBuddaDa

Yeah but this is such a simple thing to fact check before running to twitter to report it.

Twitter isn't meant for "reports." Nobody "reported" it officially on a website that I can see. Most twitters are personal and in no way (and sometimes explicitly stated) connected to the publication the person works for.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
His LinkedIn profile has now been fixed:

VP of Marketing
Valve corporation
January 2000 &#8211; Present (13 years 2 months)
Good to know (if absolutely true). I think it would have been really bad for Valve if Doug left. Not perhaps on an operational level (nothing against Doug, I'm sure he performs his duties well) but people would have seriously started to think something would have gone awry. Again, good to know and I hope Doug and his associates will get the opportunity to really shine in the comings months, starting at GDC, when it comes to Source 2, Steambox and hopefully Half-Life 3.

Maybe Valve are closing down and Doug accidentally made it public before he was supposed to, updating his LinkedIn and forgetting that it's publicly viewable.

#conspiracy

I doubt this is anything more than a mistake though, but an odd one nonetheless.

Top Bottom