• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dozens of suspicious cellphone purchases at three Missouri Walmarts

Status
Not open for further replies.

M52B28

Banned
This is all over my news feed due to some of my Mizzou friends.

HANNIBAL, Mo. (WGEM) -
Authorities are investigating after dozens of prepaid cellphones were bought at three Missouri Walmarts this week.

FOX 2 St. Louis reports large quantities of cellphones were purchased in Columbia, Lebanon and Macon.

Macon County Sheriff's Office says it turned information over to the FBI after purchases at the Walmart in Macon, Missouri. But that's not the only Walmart in Missouri hit with suspicious cellphone purchases.

ABC 17 reports the Columbia Police Department found out Monday about several men that bought dozens of phones around 9:30 p.m. Friday. A witness told ABC 17 the men paid with cash.

"Right then and there, I knew there was not something adding up about this," the witness told ABC 17. "It's not right. It doesn't make any sense. Who's going to order 50 phones for Christmas? Who does that?"

Former Missouri Homeland Security Coordinator Paul Fennewald told ABC 17 the stores did the right thing by calling.

"I think on the surface, that is suspicious," Fennewald told the station. "If I had seen the same thing, I probably would have called somebody also."

KYTV reports two men bought 60 cellphones at the Lebanon, Missouri, Walmart at 3:50 a.m. Saturday, setting off concern.

"That's not normal for this area," Laclede County Sheriff Wayne Merritt told KYTV.

After speaking with the men, KYTV reports the officers did not have a legal reason to detain the men, so they let them go, and alerted the FBI.

"I'm not going to say just because they're different religion or because they're Muslim, but these people were they were foreign-speaking, then you need to take notice and you need to let us know about it because it doesn't hurt to check on it," Merritt told KYTV. "You're not being racist or anything like that. You're just protecting yourself."

Fennewald told ABC 17 the prepaid phones can be a way for criminals to talk without being tracked by law enforcement, and in many past terror attacks, cellphones have been used to trigger an explosive device.

"If we're going to prevent that next terrorist attack, especially the next terrorist attack in Columbia, Missouri, or Boone County, it's not going to be the FBI," Fennewald told ABC 17. "It's not going to be law enforcement. It's going to be the viewers of this broadcast that are probably going to be the key to preventing."

A Hannibal Walmart store manager told WGEM News no purchases like these had been made at his store, and his employees know to report anything suspicious to the store's corporate office.

WGEM News has reached out to Walmart's corporate office to find out what its policies are regarding suspicious purchases, but the call had not been returned at the time of publication.

In 2006, USA Today reported terrorism charges against three Palestinian-American men who were found with nearly 1,000 cellphones were dropped. The Washington Post reported authorities said they lacked evidence that the men intended to use the phones to commit criminal acts.

I'm seeing so much stupid shit posted. Someone mentioned that Lithium strips can be used in meth, I'm not sure if that's true, but these parts of Missouri are like boonie town with methlabs sprawled across.

Al-ibn Kermit

It's not uncommon for someone to buy phones here and sell them overseas when they go on trips to see family. I know someone who sold 50 iPhones when he went back to Iraq for summer vacation.

Back when I was still just a teenager working at Walmart I remember Homeland security coming in and briefing me on these guys who were buying prepaid phones and what to look out for and who to call if I saw it happening. It was pretty intense for an otherwise uneventful place

Stringer Bell teaching them how it's done.

the_wire.jpg

M52B28

Banned
Back when I was still just a teenager working at Walmart I remember Homeland security coming in and briefing me on these guys who were buying prepaid phones and what to look out for and who to call if I saw it happening. It was pretty intense for an otherwise uneventful place
I have no clue why someone would need that many cell phones. Do you have any idea why?

Average Missourian on Facebook is saying IEDs for the war on America, but come on, that's a tad bit unrealistic.

Al-ibn Kermit

Did they tell you to watch out for someone who comes in every week to buy a single prepaid phone/sim or whatever and who always pays in cash? The type of person who would save money just getting a phone plan? That makes sense and is probably a drug dealer/terrorist or someone who doesn't want to get wiretapped.

This story sounds like somebody buying the phones to resell them. Maybe the reason why they paid in cash was there were multiple friends investing into it.

Any other explanation sounds too dumb to be true. Unless these weren't even smartphones.

I have no clue why someone would need that many cell phones. Do you have any idea why?

Average Missourian on Facebook is saying IEDs for the war on America, but come on, that's a tad bit unrealistic.

It's not uncommon for someone to buy phones here and sell them overseas when they go on trips to see family. I know someone who sold 50 iPhones when he went back to Iraq for summer vacation.

Resale, using the components for something, or maybe they run a business (legal or otherwise) where these phones would come in handy.

Is it a bit of a red flag? Sure. But saying that you're calling the feds about it because someone "looks foreign" instead of just because they're buying a bunch of phones seems a bit off.

What if a Caucasian man did the same thing? I'd hope they'd call regardless of who did it, because that many phones in the span of a week seems a bit sketch.

Etzer

It could just be that they intend on reselling those phones. It's not that uncommon. Look at the comments on any good deal posted on Slickdeals.

Resale, using the components for something, or maybe they run a business (legal or otherwise) where these phones would come in handy.

Is it a bit of a red flag? Sure. But saying that you're calling the feds about it because someone "looks foreign" instead of just because they're buying a bunch of phones seems a bit off.

What if a Caucasian man did the same thing? I'd hope they'd call regardless of who did it, because that many phones in the span of a week seems a bit sketch.

The person who reported is quoted as saying the reason is because it was unusual to buy so many phones. It was the sheriff who brought up the topic of their nationality.

Do prepaid phones even work overseas?

Geist-

I live in Columbia, most of the people I talk to think it's probably nothing, but also that there is a possibility that someone may be targeting the University of Missouri.

Dali

It could just be that they intend on reselling those phones. It's not that uncommon. Look at the comments on any good deal posted on Slickdeals.
It's unusual behavior and was rightfully reported. Speculation is fine but better to confirm than wonder.

I'd report it too if I worked there.

Obviously it could be fine and they were bought with good intentions, however, my first thoughts would be they bought them as burners for some sort of gang related crime coming up. But that is because I have watched the wire.

I would think that it could be terrorist also, but more likely drugs.

I would have also questioned it if I was working at the check out where they walked though. Something casual like "are these Christmas presents?" Or something of he like. If there was a good reason then and there I might have dropped it.

norm9

Dudes got lots of girlfriends. One per phone seems reasonable.

"We're not racist. Just protecting ourselves." Umm, yeah.

Fusebox

Banned
I've got no issues with the store calling someone, it was a suspicious purchase. I also have no issue with the men being let free immediately after questioning showed they had a valid reason to buy them. Seems everything worked here for a change.

norm9

It's unusual behavior and was rightfully reported. Speculation is fine but better to confirm than wonder.

Whatever happened to those people that stocked up on ps3's back in the day. Seems suspicious to buy more than one. And don't get me started on Amiibos. There's chips in them, ya know.

andycapps

Regardless of race, multiple people buying 50 pre-paid cell phones in cash at multiple stores should send up some type of alarms. Maybe not terrorism, maybe drug related, but it bears looking into.

CornDogg

It seems Jefferson City is joining the fun as well.

http://www.abc17news.com/news/fbi-investigating-suspicious-purchase-at-columbia-walmart/36877514

I live in Columbia, most of the people I talk to think it's probably nothing, but also that there is a possibility that someone may be targeting the University of Missouri.

Don't get shot. Gun violence is getting a little out of hand in Columbia. Glad to have moved, though I wasn't in the greatest of areas, apparently.

Grym

What, your first thought if someone was buying 50 phones is that he is giving them away at a soup kitchen?

My point with the initial post wasn't necessarily about soup kitchens, no. But a cell phone is one of the most useful tools to donate to a large number of charities in order to benefit the poor, destitute, or yes, homeless. It is hard to do anything without a phone these days (and there are fewer and fewer pay phones available)...search for a job, get a job interview, find a place to stay for the night, connect with necessary helping hands, etc.

Organizations wouldn't be paying for those in untraceable cash.

That's a good point. I guess it really depends on how much money worth of phones was purchased. I could see an individual buying 10ish phones for charity with cash if that is the way they pay for stuff regularly (like my parents use cash for everything). Any organization would definitely pay with another form though.

Syriel

This is all over my news feed due to some of my Mizzou friends.

"Right then and there, I knew there was not something adding up about this," the witness told ABC 17. "It's not right. It doesn't make any sense. Who's going to order 50 phones for Christmas? Who does that?"

I'm seeing so much stupid shit posted. Someone mentioned that Lithium strips can be used in meth, I'm not sure if that's true, but these parts of Missouri are like boonie town with methlabs sprawled across.

Sounds like these folks have never heard of Slickdeals. ;)

Or the fact that cheap prepaids make for decent:
MP3 players
Dashcams
Free phone calls (via Hangouts)
Mini tablets for kids
Chromecast remotes
Fodder for upgrade deals (VZW was running a $300 upgrade offer when you traded in an old cell phone)
etc. etc.

Geist-

It seems Jefferson City is joining the fun as well.

http://www.abc17news.com/news/fbi-investigating-suspicious-purchase-at-columbia-walmart/36877514

Don't get shot. Gun violence is getting a little out of hand in Columbia. Glad to have moved, though I wasn't in the greatest of areas, apparently.

Ya, I think I have a handle on what areas to avoid, I'm actually hoping to move in the next 6 months. I work near Columbia College and the frequency of gunshots when I'm heading home in the evening is more than I feel comfortable with.

The person who reported is quoted as saying the reason is because it was unusual to buy so many phones. It was the sheriff who brought up the topic of their nationality.

Thanks for clarifying. Still though, not sure if I'm pleased it was the LEO who brought it up instead of the person making the call...

Syriel

This story sounds like somebody buying the phones to resell them. Maybe the reason why they paid in cash was there were multiple friends investing into it.

Probably just a scalper.

Also very likely. As an example, Best Buy had the VZW Moto E on sale for $10 over Black Friday and Cyber Monday. That phone comes with an unlocked SIM slot so it can be used on VZW as well as ATT and TMO. Or sold overseas.

Those things are currently flooding CL and eBay.

Resellers and flippers love cheap prepaid cell phones because they're easy profit.

Do prepaid phones even work overseas?

If GSM, yes. The aforementioned Moto E will get voice/data anywhere the is GSM coverage as well as LTE data if the local network is using one of the supported bands.

All VZW LTE handsets ship with an unlocked SIM slot.

About the only network that phone won't run on in the US is Sprint because Sprint hasn't whitelisted the ESN.

What, your first thought if someone was buying 50 phones is that he is giving them away at a soup kitchen?

My first thought would be that he/she found a great deal and is probably flipping them for a profit.

This is why a lot of stores will limit prepaid sales to two handsets per person. It's also why Tracfone goes to absurd lengths to lock down their handsets. They're not worried about terrorism. They're worried about profits.

Verizon isn't making a profit by letting Best Buy sell Moto Es for $10 a pop. It's losing money on those sales and hoping to make it up when people become prepaid subscribers. Anyone who bought the phone for $10 and is either using it on another network or resold it for use overseas is costing VZW money.

smurfx

get some go again
why would you alert the media if you think this is suspicious? if somebody was going to do something they would toss the phones now that the fbi and other are investigating.

We had someone come in and buy dozens of phones from us every couple months or so when I worked at Target. They would literally purchase $5k+ in phones.

It was for a church that was giving pre-paid phones away to homeless people.

Eventually we were told not to allow that, since this one person would clean out our entire inventory. They started sending people out to multiple stores to buy like 10 phones each.

Dali

Whatever happened to those people that stocked up on ps3's back in the day. Seems suspicious to buy more than one. And don't get me started on Amiibos. There's chips in them, ya know.
People used to leave their doors unlocked at night too. How many ps3's reportedly have been a key tool in terror attacks btw?

Syriel

If someone is so profit oriented, they should be using credit cards to maximize the return.

Oh I completely agree, but lots of folks in America don't understand how to profit off a credit card. They just blindly think "Credit cards are EVIL!" and ignore them.

Just look at any GAF thread about CCs and rewards points for an example.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos

These weren't iPhones. These were burners.

I don't care who you are. You buy 17 burners at one time while paying in cash and I'm reporting your ass.

People who hang out on slickdeals who have heavy foreign accents. Plus they probably brought the burner phones in regular price, not Black Friday price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom