• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dozens of suspicious cellphone purchases at three Missouri Walmarts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dudes got lots of girlfriends. One per phone seems reasonable.

"We're not racist. Just protecting ourselves." Umm, yeah.

I don't see anything unreasonable about following up on this. We can't push being PC to the point where we are ignoring possible threats. Would you rather protect someone's feelings or potentially thwart the next attack on US soil? And I'm not suggesting targeting specific races, but actions. Buying this many phones with cash should be investigated period, regardless of ethnicity.

why would you alert the media if you think this is suspicious? if somebody was going to do something they would toss the phones now that the fbi and other are investigating.

Yeah seems pointless as it would interfere with any investigation they were may have been pursuing.

Kenstar

yes it must be terrorists
terrorists too dumb to also buy 50 packs of energy bars, 50 bottles of gatorade, 50 pairs of sunglasses and say it's for an outdoor survival race the guy is organizing (the phones are for emergency contact but they dont want people cheating with gps in their normal phones)

thank goodness our freedums and 2nd amendments were protected though

Grym

there aren't a bunch of white guys in ISIS

I'd still be suspicious but I wouldn't go right to "terrorism"

quick google search for white ISIS fighter...

hqdefault.jpg
isis-recruitment-video.jpg
enhanced-6006-1425852542-16.png
screen-shot-2014-12-07-at-12-30-58-pm.jpg

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Honestly, I probably wouldn't.
This was what I expected. I think that's the problem.

I don't see anything unreasonable about following up on this. We can't push being PC to the point where we are ignoring possible threats. Would you rather protect someone's feelings or potentially thwart the next attack on US soil? And I'm not suggesting targeting specific races, but actions. Buying this many phones with cash should be investigated period, regardless of ethnicity.
It's just incredibly exhausting watching the ridiculous lengths we go through to "Protect the Homeland," and really all that gives us is an illusion of safety. "See something, say something" sounds straight out of some dystopian novel.

there aren't a bunch of white guys in ISIS

I'd still be suspicious but I wouldn't go right to "terrorism"
And I wouldn't go right to terrorism, regardless of their ethnicity.

It's just incredibly exhausting watching the ridiculous lengths we go through to "Protect the Homeland," and really all that gives us is an illusion of safety. "See something, say something" sounds straight out of some dystopian novel.
More like a blast from the past.
163381803-world-war-ii-american-propaganda-poster-gettyimages.jpg

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Honestly, it's probably nothing, but I do think it was worth reporting.

This is a stretch. Do you really see nothing suspicious about this? Did you see this guy's post?

Back when I was still just a teenager working at Walmart I remember Homeland security coming in and briefing me on these guys who were buying prepaid phones and what to look out for and who to call if I saw it happening. It was pretty intense for an otherwise uneventful place

Security experts worldwide agree that no amount of technology or security personnel will ever be as good as a watchful public eye. "See something, say something" is not in the same ballpark as something actually controversial like "don't ask, don't tell."

Do you have a problem with "better safe than sorry?"

This was what I expected. I think that's the problem.
huh? This isn't a Donald Trump thread. No need to start accusing people of racism. We don't even know if there is a problem yet.

A hell of a lot better than "see something, keep quiet". Is it just the fact that it sounds catchy that bothers you? How about "If you see anything suspicious, notify authorities". I mean isn't that, like, common sense?

Back when I worked at Target I had a guy come in and buy ever single PS2 that we had in stock (We had somewhere close to 30 of them I believe, this was after the PS3 came out so they werent selling anymore).

The guy buying them was of some kind of eastern European origin (Polish maybe?). But once he bought all of our stock, he wanted to know if any of the other surrounding Targets had any PS2s in stock as well because he wanted those too. I called around and placed another 15 system on hold for him to pick up. Oh and he paid cash for all of it.

I asked the guy what he needed all these systems for; he told me that they couldnt get them "in his country" and was taking them home to sell.

I still dont know what to make of the whole thing but this cellphone business sounded oddly familiar....

masud

Banned
Hopefully they're just drug dealers. But wouldn't it be more effective to not broadcast this on the news and just monitor the phones that were purchased?

Hopefully they're just drug dealers. But wouldn't it be more effective to not broadcast this on the news and just monitor the phones that were purchased?

Can't monitor prepaid phones. Which is... kind of exactly the point and why people buy them.

potam

Banned
Why are people bending over backwards to act as though it's not suspicious? Suspicious != guilty. It just means it's odd behavior, which happens to be associated with criminal activities.

Can't monitor prepaid phones. Which is... kind of exactly the point and why people buy them.

Well, I've seen The Wire so I'm an expert. I thought the main reason they were hard to track was due to the fact that if you're paying cash, there's no link between you and the phone. But, if the FBI has a record of all the phones that were purchased, they should be able to track them pretty easily considering they giggle at warrants.

I'm not sure if its related, but people using free government cellphones just got offered a $4.87 chance for an upgrade at Walmart. I know this because I got the text myself. Maybe some bonehead is trying to scavenge as many $5 phones as possible hoping to resell them higher.

masud

Banned

You can't monitor them if you don't know their serial numbers, which they should know in this case because they know when and where they were purchased.

Edit:beaten

Syriel

Just as easy to track as postpaid phones.

Cell networks don't work if the network doesn't know where the phone is located.

If you have a serial number, the provider knows where the device is located when it is on.

If you have a Stingray and know the location of the device, you can intercept pretty much everything it sends or receives.

It's not uncommon for someone to buy phones here and sell them overseas when they go on trips to see family. I know someone who sold 50 iPhones when he went back to Iraq for summer vacation.

I have the feeling this is still pretty uncommon. Especially if flying to Iraq with 50 phones.

studyguy

Here in southern California I used to work in an electronics store during college. We had 360's and PS3's & Wiis and every so often some guys from Mexico would come in and buy out our entire stock. It'd be some 20-30 systems at a time in all along with clearing out our DVD players and such. Apparently they took them back south and made a killing. If anything I'd imagine it might be the same deal.

Koppai

At Best Buy we have a limit of 5 per sku per person on prepaid phones. And then on contract phones it's a limit of 2 per sku per person. I always felt suspicion when I would see people buying that many even last year before anymore of these attacks have happened.

jstripes

Banned
I'm assuming the IMEI numbers of the phones would have been recorded at some point.

Tell the carriers to keep an eye on those.

Apparently they took them back south and made a killing. If anything I'd imagine it might be the same deal.
They already sell dirt cheap phones in the developing world. It would probably cost more to transport these there. The black market is mainly for luxury phones.

devilhawk

Guys, people buying a bunch of gaming consoles in a big city is totally the same as buying a ton of prepaid phones at multiple walmarts in multiple tiny towns in Missouri. Totally the same.

Honestly, it's probably nothing, but I do think it was worth reporting.
yeah this is where I'm at.

Whenever there's a massive tragedy we always wring our hands about 'red flags' that nobody followed up on. It's hardly dystopian to cock an eyebrow at dozens of prepaid phones being purchased with cash at several places in smallish areas all around the same time.

Persona7

Banned
If they were being used for illegal stuff I doubt anyone would be dumb enough to buy that many at once in one transaction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom