• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dr. Dre to Release New Album as 'Straight Outta Compton' Soundtrack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bacon

I'll tell you what, Anderson Paak is now firmly on my radar. Dude crushed Animals. Might even be the best verse and hook on the entire album

Einhander

Okay. I listened to samples using the iTunes smartphone app. It was supremely average. I didn't find a single song that resonated positively with me. So tired of seeing guest appearances on every track of a hip-hop album. I get that this is a soundtrack to a movie, but even so, it should have been an exception since this is Dre we're talking about, and he hasn't released an album in many years.

steveovig

I'm still on the fence about getting this, help me decide. Should I just get the songs with the good features (Cube, Kendrick, Snoop, Xzibit, Em) or should I get the whole damn thing and give it a couple listens at the gym?

JakeD

Okay. I listened to samples using the iTunes smartphone app. It was supremely average. I didn't find a single song that resonated positively with me. So tired of seeing guest appearances on every track of a hip-hop album. I get that this is a soundtrack to a movie, but even so, it should have been an exception since this is Dre we're talking about, and he hasn't released an album in many years.

you might want to check back on the track listings of dre's old albums, i think he has one solo track on each one. he's a producer more than a rapper

I'm still going with One Shot One Kill, myself.

Animals would be right up there but I think Dre's verse hobbled it a little. Shoulda been all Anderson.

Animals might be my fav track on the album too, but i think that verse is Dre's only major contribution to it. seems like Primo made the beat and the song was pretty much done before Dre even said he wanted it for the album (according to this article)

Animals might be my fav track on the album too, but i think that verse is Dre's only major contribution to it. seems like Primo made the beat and the song was pretty much done before Dre even said he wanted it for the album (according to this article)

Huh. So I guess he kinda had to throw his vocals over it in order to get it on the album, otherwise he would just be buying an already finished song for his "soundtrack." It'd have been weird if the best song on his album was the one he more or less had zero to do with beyond listening to it.

Satisfiction is growing on me quickly. Basically: Genocide, then Darkside/Gone, then the half of Loose Cannons that isn't a bad radio drama, Deep Water through to Animals, and Talking to My Diary. That's the shit that works.

That's such an off-base comment. Hip-hop fans (especially older heads) are pining for something that is reminiscent of the Chronic sound from Dre. You can create a contemporary sound while still retaining that classic West Coast vibe. He didn't achieve that with Compton. Still a good album but forgettable.
I'm not pining for that sound at all.
Did you not listen to a single Dre beat from 2002 to 2010? That WAS a vintage Dre. I've had my fill of those looped piano notes and that BIG Single signature sound he had for a decade.
Let an artist experiment Ffs.

I'd be real interested to know what the Detox tracks are like, since Dre said it didn't live up to his expectations. Assuming they actually exist. Was it vintage Dre but he felt it would date him as out of the loop? Or was it just straight bad? Did he consciously push Compton in a more of-the-moment direction to feel more current?

When the Beach Boys' recording sessions for their SMILE album infamously fell apart after lengthy studio noodling by Brian Wilson, the album was shelved and they put together a replacement album quickly with a couple salvaged SMILE tracks. It had some moments of brilliance, but felt rushed and uneven. That's sort of how I'm feeling about this record so far, and I wonder if something similar happened behind the scenes.

Majestad

Banned
I'd be real interested to know what the Detox tracks are like, since Dre said it didn't live up to his expectations. Assuming they actually exist. Was it vintage Dre but he felt it would date him as out of the loop? Or was it just straight bad? Did he consciously push Compton in a more of-the-moment direction to feel more current?

When the Beach Boys' recording sessions for their SMILE album infamously fell apart after lengthy studio noodling by Brian Wilson, the album was shelved and they put together a replacement album quickly with a couple salvaged SMILE tracks. It had some moments of brilliance, but felt rushed and uneven. That's sort of how I'm feeling about this record so far, and I wonder if something similar happened behind the scenes.

The "leaked" tracks that could have been on Detox where all dope as fuck. Die Hard (ft. Eminem), that song he had with Jay-Z, and KUSH. They are good stuff, but they sounded exactly how a Chronic 3 would have sounded. Dre didn't want to put the exact same shit 15 years later.

I always imagined it would be like "I Need a Doctor" and "Kush" - those interim releases from 4-5 years ago. Remember?

I was shocked how rip and in shape he was. the fuck was that. and then he just disappeared again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9eA1ffU6xQ

4th time listening. Ranking the standouts:

Deep Water > Talking to My Diary > Darkside/Gone > Animals > One Shot One Kill > Loose Cannons

Can't decided on the rest, but they're all good

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
how can i listen to this without an apple device. is it possible?

take my fuckin money. plz.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
it's on itunes.

no apple. i don't have itunes don't have a reason to have itunes.

I think it's kinda bullshit Dre put it out only on Itunes. But what should I expect they made him a billionaire club member.

edit - i've got amazon, google music, and google music store to get his album and can't. that's some bs.

riotous

Banned
I'll wait for it to be on amazon personally. I have itunes on my computer but only use it to sync purchased from amazon to my car. Don't really care about store exclusives as long as it's clear it's temporary. I mean I'd prefer they not do it but whatever.

lolmark

Man, I really like Compton. Overproduced isn't how I'd describe the album. The production is grand, which I feel is fitting for Dre's final album.

Mik2121

The amount of autotune is bothering... it just sounds silly.
As for the songs, I'm personally a fan of Satisfiction and Talking To My Diary. Animals is cool too, as well as Dre's verses (specially the first) on Darkside/Gone :)___

The Youtube video linked earlier "Dr. Dre in the studio...new track 4 Detox?" sounds amazing too.. would have loved to have some of that more 2001-ish sound in this one too.

KAP151

Listened to most of this last night. Not feeling at all. I liked the one of the earlier tracks with Eminem, but the rest? Not so much.

Yeah, the Dr. Dre I know would never release an album filled with features and guest spots. He must have caught that lazy/unoriginal bug that has been infecting hip hop the last few years. We had real MC's back in my day, they would rap whole albums at a time and would rather die than share a mic with anybody else.

Sorry for being a dick, but you're not the first poster I've seen make this remark. You should go check the tracklisting for Dre's first two albums.

thefro

I believe there's already been enough stuff that's leaked or supposedly was intended for Detox for you to easily make a full album.

Just a matter of the Internet getting going on mixing/sequencing that stuff into a full album.

Hopefully Dre releases some sort of "Detox Sessions" compilation at some point instead of waiting for his estate or some historian to do it.

Sounds great, but if Dre was worried about his sound becoming formulaic or safe then I can see why he shelved it. Hopefully we'll hear that beat again in the future. I'll always throw support to an artist who wants to experiment, and I'm really digging the sound of this album after my first listen.
Yeah it is formulaic for him, kind of a Still DRE Part 2, but is damn good.

I guess if you think though, Chronic has a sound, 2001 has a sound. To continue too much with a similar sound isn't probably what Dre wanted to do.

Another of the TI ghost written leaks for Detox was Topless which was pretty good too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrJtyNsnaXg

NYCrooner

I'm not pining for that sound at all.
Did you not listen to a single Dre beat from 2002 to 2010? That WAS a vintage Dre. I've had my fill of those looped piano notes and that BIG Single signature sound he had for a decade.
Let an artist experiment Ffs.
Dr Dre is my favorite producer so I own anything with his name on it. I have no problem with him experimenting and growing but he has a sound that works and to basically completely abandon it for his grand finale makes little sense. Especially when it's a soundtrack about NWA. Every track I've heard from the supposed "Detox" album is hot as fuck and it's very likely that album would have been well received even if it was titled "dated" by some.

Plenty of popular mega producers like DJ Primo, Timbaland, Just Blaze, Neptunes, etc have maintained a signature sound while evolving enough to stay fresh and relevant. No reason Dr Dre couldn't have done the same for this album.

The thing about Detox is that we're talking about something that was a decade plus in the making and had half the rap game (in terms of both rappers and producers) rumored or confirmed to be working on it.

There's probably not only multiple albums worth of material in the vault, but also a wide variety of sounds as well as Dre's thought process and philosophy about the project evolved over the years. His sound most definitely evolved over that time.

For example, no one in 1999 thought that a song like I Need A Doctor would end up as the "lead" single for Detox but it happened.

Too bad the majority of those beats have/will either end up on other people's albums or won't see the light of day
until Apple opens the vault when Dre dies

That's not to say all that work has gone to naught. If you listen closely to Compton you'll hear bits and pieces lifted from beats we've heard on leaked reference tracks or those in the studio videos.

For example, we heard the underlying melody to Talking to My Diary in an HP commercial five years ago..

The bassline from Satisfiction got lifted from this beat from an in-studio video from four years ago

Kiru

Is there an clean cover art for this without the Parental Advisory label on it?
Highest I could find (1024x1024)
untitled-article-1438525790.jpg

Used that to enhance the Labeled one with my amateur skillz (1500x1500)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom