• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dr. Dre to Release New Album as 'Straight Outta Compton' Soundtrack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a way to stream samples or any other sites that are legally streaming his album without having to sign on to itunes? Itunes is acting up for me.

Thanks

The thing about Detox is that we're talking about something that was a decade plus in the making and had half the rap game (in terms of both rappers and producers) rumored or confirmed to be working on it.

There's probably not only multiple albums worth of material in the vault, but also a wide variety of sounds as well as Dre's thought process and philosophy about the project evolved over the years. His sound most definitely evolved over that time.

For example, no one in 1999 thought that a song like I Need A Doctor would end up as the "lead" single for Detox but it happened.

Too bad the majority of those beats have/will either end up on other people's albums or won't see the light of day
until Apple opens the vault when Dre dies

That's not to say all that work has gone to naught. If you listen closely to Compton you'll hear bits and pieces lifted from beats we've heard on leaked reference tracks or those in the studio videos.

For example, we heard the underlying melody to Talking to My Diary in an HP commercial five years ago..

The bassline from Satisfiction got lifted from this beat from an in-studio video from four years ago

I like the sound a lot. LA is a different place now than it was in 1999.

The thing about Detox is that we're talking about something that was a decade plus in the making and had half the rap game (in terms of both rappers and producers) rumored or confirmed to be working on it.

There's probably not only multiple albums worth of material in the vault, but also a wide variety of sounds as well as Dre's thought process and philosophy about the project evolved over the years. His sound most definitely evolved over that time.

For example, no one in 1999 thought that a song like I Need A Doctor would end up as the "lead" single for Detox but it happened.

Too bad the majority of those beats have/will either end up on other people's albums or won't see the light of day
until Apple opens the vault when Dre dies

That's not to say all that work has gone to naught. If you listen closely to Compton you'll hear bits and pieces lifted from beats we've heard on leaked reference tracks or those in the studio videos.

For example, we heard the underlying melody to Talking to My Diary in an HP commercial five years ago..

The bassline from Satisfiction got lifted from this beat from an in-studio video from four years ago
HP one is pretty much just straight up the same, no?

Album is fucking fire.
I'm not soaking in my seat though.

Finally listened to the preview album. Meh, it was straight outta awful.

latest

I love how lucid the beats are on this, sounds like how I feel falling asleep while listening to music. Already blew through it 6-7 times and it keeps growing on me.

I haven't had a chance to listen to this yet cuz I don't have ITunes on my pc. I might bite the bullet and download it today, as I've been waiting for a new Dre album for far too long.

I've read all the impressions thus far, and it seems people's expectations of what Dre's sound should be has had a negative impact on their listening experience. While Dre's post "2001" beats do have a somewhat signature sound (hard kick, thunderous snares, and a catchy piano loop), his beats have varied greatly from project to project. His work on Jay-Z's Kingdom Come" lent the album the mature/introspective feel that a lot of people attribute to Kingdom Come. His production on Busta Rhymes was ecclectic, with his signature sound of "Cocaina," to the more old school stylings of "In the Ghetto," and the dark brooding of "Legends of the fall off." Finally, his off kilter production on Relapse was much different then the Dre most were expecting to hear from that album.

Point being...Dre doesn't have to sound like his past in order to remain a master beatsmith. I have zero expectations going into this album. I just want another Dre album to bump in my ride, and fill my headphones with.

Damn at Eminems verse. Leaves you wanting more.
I wish he didn't shout as much. His verse could have been perfection if he'd rapped the way he does at the beginning for the majority of the verse.
Cause those first 12 bars are Eminem Show era Em

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Dr. Dre is an apple board member now. That's like saying Zelda being on Nintendo console and not Xbox is anti-consumer.

I get the technicalities. But this is music. Let's look at NWA do you really think they would let 'the man' dictate where they were allow to put their music.

Come on son.

Meanwhile I'll kick rocks and wait because for some odd reason I actually want to give Dre my money despite this.

Kelsdesu

Its aite. For some reason I thought Freddie Gibbs would be on this.

Also wanted to mention that I had to wait for a friend to bring his ipod to listen to this album. Which is ridiculous. This should be available for my consumption on any medium.

Just finished my first full listen. Thought it was pretty good. Production definitely leans more towards "quantity over quality" compared to his past work, but I loved a good handful of songs and was ok with the rest.

Bacon

Couple days later and I'm still mostly feeling this album. There are definitely some skipable tracks in there but when it hits, it hits hard.

DietRob

it's 30 years later and they are "the man" now.

Yep... you actually got me there. smh

ok finally i'm 'caving to the man'

reading itunes agreement now.
SIKE you think anyone reads those.

***Still got Eminem checks I haven't cashed it. ****
W5Y2fjO.gif

DietRob

I'm so glad the Dr is back in the booth. Stay in there. Give us Detox proper.

This album is gonna SELL .. plat in a month or two book it. double plat months later.

norm9

On my fourth listen of this album and switching back and forth with Regulate Part 2. Compton is a good album, but I guess I miss the "west coast" sound he helped create that's very apparent and welcome in Regulate Part 2.

DietRob

AOTY for me so far.

Snoop on One Shot is back to the snoop i want to hear.

Majestad

Banned
Dre protégés came through. Em on Medicine Man:

So I rose and grew balls, told these hoes to screw off
Decided opposing you is what I'm ‘posed to do alls
I did was say what I'm feeling when the vocal booth calls
And had you on pins and needles when I spoke to you all
You felt my pain, it's almost like I poked voodoo dolls
And I hope my spirit haunts the studios when I'm gone
My picture jumps off a poster and just floats through the halls
And fucking goes through the walls like the ghost of Lou Rawls

Whew

Toparaman

Banned
I'm finally listening to the album in full, and the iTunes samples don't do it justice. I really respect what Dre did here. Instead of making a bunch of club-bangers (which is what most of the Detox leaks were) he went in a more soulful direction.

Linkhero1

Digging it a bit more on my second play through.

Favorite track is Talking To My Diary. Love the beat in this track and I can actually recognize Dre lol.

So Animals might be might my favorite song right now. I really love the Paak's delivery on the first verse. But when I youtubed him all I found was meh-ish clubby dancy stuff. Any recommendations on which albums/tracks to check out?

Apart from a so so verse from Ice Cube,everyone of Dre's old associates brought their A game. In Snoop, Game and Xzhibits case, better than they have in years. Em in Medicine Man sounds faintly like the Eminem of 10 years ago.The album is objectively not a write off for that reason alone.

Assanova

After listening to this several times with headphones, I am going to have to say that this album will be a classic. Not one bad track and I am starting to like it more than Chronic 2001.

After listening to this several times with headphones, I am going to have to say that this album will be a classic. Not one bad track and I am starting to like it more than Chronic 2001.

It's sequenced way better than 2001, more similar to The Chronic in that respect (probably better actually, Compton finishes strong) but it doesn't have anywhere near the same highs as either album, and Dre doesn't sound as commanding and unique. I do think time will be kind to Compton, but I don't see it ever being at the same level as the other 2.

Dominator

Now that I've listened a few times now, I'm really enjoying it. I love pretty much every track, my least favorite being Satisfiction but its not bad by any means.

Guest verses were great too. Best Eminem verse in a long time (I really liked Speedom but thats just a track to rap fast on), and Kendrick brought his A-game as well. Snoop was probably the biggest surprise, I want more of that from him in the future, but I doubt we'll get more of that again lol

Great finale for Dre, 3/3 for albums to me.

Now that I've listened a few times now, I'm really enjoying it. I love pretty much every track, my least favorite being Satisfiction but its not bad by any means.

Guest verses were great too. Best Eminem verse in a long time (I really liked Speedom but thats just a track to rap fast on), and Kendrick brought his A-game as well. Snoop was probably the biggest surprise, I want more of that from him in the future, but I doubt we'll get more of that again lol

Great finale for Dre, 3/3 for albums to me.

how is this possible

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom