• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon’s Dogma: Dark Arisen PS4/XB1 |OT| They're master ports all, you can't go wrong

Hugstable

Banned
I suck at this game so much. Read a sidequest guide and saw I need to go to some Forest for Quina in Lost and Found quest, then i go up a hill and have to fight a group of bandits, of of which one shots everyone in my whole party? Can't figure out how to beat him other than running

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
I suck at this game so much. Read a sidequest guide and saw I need to go to some Forest for Quina in Lost and Found quest, then i go up a hill and have to fight a group of bandits, of of which one shots everyone in my whole party? Can't figure out how to beat him other than running

There you go.

Slygmous

Either run past them, or wait until night when they go to sleep and are replaced with much easier wolves.

Strider's most powerful ability (and probably the highest melee DPS in the game) is the Helm/Skull/Brain Splitter series which you can begin at rank 3. Once you get the eminence augment for jumping attacks (rank 5) you can jump before using it and rip through enemy weak points like a buzzsaw. Also, the Splitter attacks can be used to negate fall damage by running and using it to spin off the edge.

Other than that, get Ensnare/Implicate (starts at rank 3) to pull down foes with wires. Good for small enemies like wolves but can also work on larger enemies with the right timing.

Full/Mighty/Terrible Bend (starts at rank 3) for a high damage arrow that can stagger or knock things down.

Cloudburst/Downpour/Hailstorm Volley (starts at rank 1) rains a ton of arrows down, good for using with debilitating arrows/bows.

All of the dagger using classes can get double jump and dodge roll at rank 5, so that's where they really come into their own.

Strider has a hidden climbing bonus so they are by far the best climber early on. Later I think Magic Archer Flameshroud ability makes them the best.

Look out for Fracture Dart, Instant Reset, Master Thief, and Soaring Stone if you stick with Strider.
Some really good Strider tips there! I guess a lot is personal preference - for example I favour the dash strike thingy over ensnare, because I like the great speed it gives you around the battlefield, and it's great for quickly getting behind enemies - so don't be afraid to just test out some of the abilities yourself.

One tip about Master Thief: it's great when used against pawns who are wandering through the open world (don't use it in Gran Soren though, or you'll go to prison!), e.g. on the road just south of the mountain waycastle, on the road just north of Gran Soren, etc., you can get some good stuff.

How sad and fucked up some people could they be when they hire someone's Pawn just to give them 1 star at everything?

I mean this person obviously hired my Pawn just to downvote it (probably due to her wearing the silk lingerie) since she only had 200RC and got 1 star at everything.They even gave her 1 star at battle/helpfuness when they hardly even used her...

The cherry on top was that he/she gave me a comment "is not to my liking".

I wish this game had a system where you could only rate a pawn after you have used them for a certain amount of time.
I had the same happen yesterday, maybe it was the same guy lol. Doesn't bother me any though.
What are your pawn details? We can get them some good ratings :)

I don't hire lolipawns myself, but honestly I can't feel sympathy. If it's OK for people to give high ratings and gifts to scantily clad lolipawns, which people claim happens all the time, then surely this is a good counter-balance.
Surely the counter-balance would be people hiring pawns that they like, and giving them good ratings? Some people seem very militant about this, I had two GAFers give me lower appearance ratings specifically because my Mage pawn was wearing shorts under her robes, before I'd even gotten to Gran Soren and had much of a choice! Thankfully one of them gave me a bunch of clothes to cover all of her exposed skin lol (one of which she is still wearing because it had awesome stats, thank you!).

On my PS3 playthrough I played a Sorcerer main, so I had a huge male Fighter pawn (Fafhrd to my Gray Mouser, or Caramon to my Raistlin if you like), set up to look like your stereotypical barbarian warrior. Most of the game he was bare chested or with just chain mail bracers, and nobody ever sent him back with his chest fully covered! Haha.

Ultimately I just want to see pawns who look cool. I'm using the GAF pawn Brienne at the moment because she's just a cool looking character, and unique amongst most of the pawns I see. If somebody were to set up a good Red Sonja pawn, who would obviously look completely different, I'd give that one a go too. If you don't like how a pawn looks, don't hire it; surely that is how the system is supposed to work? :)

Abylim

Yeah, nothing you do in speed run mode affects your save so feel free to blow your gold on special arrows etc.

Completing the mode unlocks 2 costumes for main save.

Only problem is a save midway through Hard mode loads as a normal difficulty after a speedrun.

Keep in mind that starting/completing Speed Run Mode during your Hard playthrough will reset difficulty back to Normal when you resume.

Thanks guys! I had no intention of even trying that atm. I’m gunna beat hard and hit max level then go into speed run. But definitely good to know.

I was getting pissed last night. I tried the Ur dragon online with my MA and felt like I was doing nothing. I have like 3k Magick. Then I remembered he had an offline mode. I wrecked it in one attempt. Felt good.

Couldn’t work out sorcerer focused holy bolt though. I can’t make it target specific hearts. It seems kinda random. I’m facing a direction and it just chooses something to hit.

It’s moot though. I’m MA until I get my plat now. Just need a few ending trophies, quests, hard mode and speed run mode.

Oh yeah guys, Sansa is now 142. If you want ant a Fighter with scather/utilitarian and the best equipment in the game, my PSN is Abylim

ike_

-pawn getting dragged away by harpy-

"i learned of beasts"

love it!

Yeah, I love the pawn chatter so much. Every time my pawn randomly decides to climb into the fountain in Gran Soren to steal a pithy 1,000G and then yells at the top of her lungs "I'm soaked to the bone!" in her deep elegant erudite voice, I can't stop laughing.

HenryEen

Banned
1. What's the best way to obtain gold ? Just reached Gran Soren and I burned all my money on equipment...

2. Dagger or Staff for Magick Archer ?

3. Should I keep my flat-chested female pawn Fighter ? Or should I change her to Warrior ?

edukate

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet but a well-timed Strider’s Splinter/ Fracture Dart skill is OP AS FUCK! Timing the detonation of the shot so that it doesn’t explode on contact but rather in very close proximity to the enemy/ enemy weak point absolutely destroys.

ZangBa

I killed
Daimon
in BBI tonight. Level 85 with level 71 pawns since I was too lazy to switch them out. Was kind of easy? Had a harder time with the living armor and it a bullshit defense past half health. I guess it's farming time for fun stuff. Might switch to Warrior now since I got the level 2 weapon.

people

1. What's the best way to obtain gold ? Just reached Gran Soren and I burned all my money on equipment...

Some ways to get money early (quick):
- Sell Ruminator's Monocle (DLC head gear) for a one-time cash injection of 300K+ , and/or other DLC outfits you don't want to use. You can buy those back later, but they will be more expensive.
- Slay Oxen (cows) inside/outside Gran Soren, or wherever you can safely/quickly find and kill them. Collect Beast-Steak and/or Ambrosial Meat (uncommon), turn them into Sour Beast-Steaks by sleeping in the Inn (village is cheapest). Sell Sour Beast-Steaks for 1,500 each.
- Check all Notice Boards for quests (Cassardis, Encampment, Pawn Guild, Gran Soren Inn)

ezekial45

Banned
I killed
Daimon
in BBI tonight. Level 85 with level 71 pawns since I was too lazy to switch them out. Was kind of easy? Had a harder time with the living armor and it a bullshit defense past half health. I guess it's farming time for fun stuff. Might switch to Warrior now since I got the level 2 weapon.

Yeah, the first time fighting Daimon isn't too bad at the right level. However, going through BBI again will increase the overall level, and Daimon becomes incredibly difficult on repeat fights.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I don't like lolis either (my pawn is a very tall and clearly adult woman)
Same difference

Just curious though why you assumed that my pawn was a loli?
You know why... :p

Surely the counter-balance would be people hiring pawns that they like, and giving them good ratings? Some people seem very militant about this, I had two GAFers give me lower appearance ratings specifically because my Mage pawn was wearing shorts under her robes,
And you know their specific reasons, how? Maybe your pawn just sucked ;) Unless they explicitly told you, I guess.

If you don't like how a pawn looks, don't hire it; surely that is how the system is supposed to work? :)
Indeed, I simply didn't hire those pawns when I played on PS3 and PC, but just saying, if it's OK to give high ratings to pawns for looks, it's OK to give them low ratings too. :p

Ferr986

Honestly I always give 5 stars to pawns, even if they suck. Although I carefully hire pawns, looking at their inclinations,stats,looks etc.

Btw my pawn is named Refia now, but she sucks so dont expect much lol cant get any staff.

lol, save up 5 BBI weapon 3s and open them all. Still no daggers. I swear this game can read minds. I still haven't gotten an assassins band to drop from Gear. I think I have like 20 mystic Knight bands and goodness knows how many generic stat rings.

This is why I do not buy loot boxes.
BTW not sure if you know this but I was told pawn classes effect your loot chances. If you run with all striders you'll have a higher chance for getting daggers.

It's locked in on pickup*

Kensuke

Finally had some time to play, so here's a little update to my pawn.

She's amazing at sync casting if you have a second pawn with the same offensive skills. Bigger monsters get melted by double grand bolide or gicel.

Hired you. Indeed very good dual casting.

Gemeanie

Just finished the first playthrough and would love to expand on my pawn's bestiary through renting.

PSN ID: Meansary
Platform: PS4
Pawn Name: Merlene
Pawn Level: 71
Pawn Vocation: Sorcerer
Addition details: I tend to keep her as Utilitarian/Challenger with potions.

Skills:
High Miasma/High Voidspell/High Fulmination/High Bolide/High Gicel/High Comestion

Augments:
Sinew/Acuity/Articulacy/Conservation/Gravitas/Suasion

Added screenshot to prove she's not wearing that dumb princess outfit
J4znTYJ.jpg

I think I just had my first taste of the DD magic.

Around lvl 25, making my way first time into the Shadow Fort. It's getting late. Came past yet another camp of lizardmen thinking they are going to be a piece of cake. Just as I join them in battle, I hear a roar.

A Chimera tremples down the road. A desperate battle ensues, but in the end the heroes are victorious.

But it's night now.

Anteater

they do a lot of damage so it's easier if you're a fighter with a shield, but if you're not a tank you could beat them by grabbing them and have your pawns nuke them, just keep them stunned that way and stay away from archers, etc, the forest is much easier so don't let it discourage you

Why does every goddamn pawn have that hideous pink dress. Stop wearing it yall.

the npc dress? yeah i never hire people who wear thing lol

Audioboxer

BTW not sure if you know this but I was told pawn classes effect your loot chances. If you run with all striders you'll have a higher chance for getting daggers.

It's true. It matters for you and your main pawn.

Switch yourself and your pawn to both being a red, yellow or blue class just before purification

http://dragonsdogma.wikia.com/wiki/Purification

RNG is still an ass though lol. After that post you quoted you'll see later I purified 3 drops and got the daggers 3 times in a row....

Good stats at low levels, but yeah, no one is hiring the princess peach dress.

is it worthwhile to farm BBI in ng or is it better to just go to ng+ asap?

Depends on the challenge you want, I started NG+ on hard without doing BBi as it makes the regular game hold challenge longer (especially without BBi gear), BBi on hard always there for later.

Got sidetracked doing sidequests but really need help on armour. Right now I'm using dlc armour for both main and pawn but want to mix it up. Pawn has been exclusively Mage while I've mixed fighter and strider. Any recommendation for early purchase is appreciated. Black cat prices are ridiculous to consider.

I'm about to do two specific side quests involving bandits:
The two quests you can get from the male and female bandit leaders respectively.

Does anyone have any tips for how best to successfully
complete both? I'm mostly after the correct order I should complete the various quest elements, if there is one.

And you know their specific reasons, how? Maybe your pawn just sucked ;) Unless they explicitly told you, I guess.
Between the actual pawn comments and their accompanying posts in here, it was pretty clear lol.

Kensuke

Hmmm, just reached level 100 and I thought I'd do Assassin for the rest of the run, but he's kinda boring. Jack of all trades master of none. I think I'll either switch back to Ranger or go full on Magic Archer. The problem with MA though is that I didn't level either Mage or Sorcerer, so I don't have those augments.

Do I really have to grind Discipline somewhere? Ughh.

edit: just found out about the noble quarters trick. lol

Alucrid

Banned
Depends on the challenge you want, I started NG+ on hard without doing BBi as it makes the regular game hold challenge longer (especially without BBi gear), BBi on hard always there for later.

i just don't know if certain stuff only drops there on hard or ng+ or at higher levels since when it came out originally i was already on a hard ng+ save.

I played a veritable fuckton of this game when it come out originally.

I want to jump back in, this time with a classic sword and board character. Are the shield mechanics as cool as with other classes?

Orignally went Strider > Magic Archer

Yeah, the first time fighting Daimon isn't too bad at the right level. However, going through BBI again will increase the overall level, and Daimon becomes incredibly difficult on repeat fights.

I had to give up on getting a full set of that top tier gear because the later fights were impossible, no matter what strategies I had to cheese the thing.

daftstar

My pawn is at level 38 and every other gear is a downgrade. I really wanna change it too.

As a side note, I'm getting kind of bored with the game now. It feels tedious when traversing a giant world and stamina/weight limitations and no mount. Maybe I should focus on the main quest more to keep my interest..

SkylineRKR

That dress has great stats, I still sold it because it looks awful. Just change it, I beat the game with upgraded different gear on my pawn and it was easy af.

Zeta Oni

Accidentally finished the game to the point of no return trying to find the ur-dragon......

You will be able to fight him in
new game plus almost immediately after starting it, there's a newly placed rift stone on the cassardis shoreline (area is called Starfall bay)

Ferr986

Yeah my quests to get a lvl 3 wep early didn't go too well. Once I run out of blast arrows I'm done lol

Gonna need to get Sinew on my pawn to carry more arrows.

WeTeHa

I had to give up on getting a full set of that top tier gear because the later fights were impossible, no matter what strategies I had to cheese the thing.

Depending on your class (bow class with multishot), this makes most bigger fights in the game super easy, even at low levels

1) 4 conqueror's periapts
2) liquid vim
3) blast arrows (as many as you and your pawns can carry)
4) go to town

BBI boss fight tactics spoiler
Personally, for daimon phase 1 I tend to shoot him with my rusted bow to inflict torpor, then jump on him between his wings/shoulders, pop 4 periapts and go to town. With torpor he is so slow that your mages can easily get off multiple tier 3 spells. With adhesion you are glued to him and with opportunism you can deal insane amounts of damage.
Daimon phase 2 is, unfortunately, immune to torpor, which makes casting big spells more difficult. I usually use the same position as before (or straight on his dragon face stomach). With periapts and liquid vim you can just keep attacking and deal massive damage.
When he does his "dimension sucking" attack if you deal enough damage you stagger him for a loooong time, which is enough time to either outright finish him or do a ton of damage as well as for pawns to cast big spells.

Just remember to get off once he starts glowing red. The explosion will probably 1 shot you.

Brakke

Banned
Man I feel like I’m teetering right on the edge of liking this. Starting playing but doing a mission in the city to tail a guy out of the castle. Pop up warns me not to get too close or stray too far, but of course doesn’t define or indicate those distances in any way. Almost immediately fail it. Fucken stupid. Whatever!

Decide to get the hell out of the city, which has been mostly lame and frustrating. Took a quest into the Watergod ruins area. Cool fight against a big ogre, encountered some new enemies, fun little dungeon layout. But I was CONSTANTLY overencumbered from mining ores despite having no idea what the point of ores is, and then picking up these “altar slates” which, also, have no indicated use but clearly matter. Ultimately figured out what the slates were for and then when I returned to town finally figured out what all the “upgrade material” things like ores are for with Enhancing equipment. All this time I thought I’d have some Skyrim-style “use the anvil to craft” kind of thing but it was just in the shop menu all along.

I still think inventory management is a real pain but now it seems I can just dump everything off every time I walk past an inn, I think it’s more manageable than I originally thought. Battles remain janky pretty often but when they do click, it’s a lot of fun.

Also! I don’t get the quest system at all. Sometimes people have yellow !s over their heads and they just tell me something I already know, but sometimes they tell me something new. I don’t know what determines if a quest gets a map marker, as I had one to get a Wakestone from a dude. The dude himself gave me the quest, so I theoretically knew where he was... but I had forgotten and then the quest wouldn’t draw a marker on my map. Just... why make me wander around to find a guy I already met?

I found him but i didn't do any damage to him at level 48 ish.

Its
chamber of lament I think. Kill the 3 cpu pawns.

I'm about to do two specific side quests involving bandits:
The two quests you can get from the male and female bandit leaders respectively.

Does anyone have any tips for how best to successfully
complete both? I'm mostly after the correct order I should complete the various quest elements, if there is one.

Don't kill bandits inside either camp. The bandits towards male camp will count for female bandit quest, the female bandits found on road between Gran Soren and their camp count for male bandit quest.

Each also has an alternative completion method, feed a Cyclops for female, deal with a traitor for male (though if you want 3 star knowledge on pawn you need do the other method next playthrough).

Top Bottom