• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Inquisition |OT| As the Blight fades, BioWare returns

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know if I want to go Knight Enchanter or ranged Tempest on my second play through. Probably Tempest since I want to keep Vivienne in my party over Sara if I had to make the choice.

Tabby

I don't know if I want to go Knight Enchanter or ranged Tempest on my second play through. Probably Tempest since I want to keep Vivienne in my party over Sara if I had to make the choice.

Go ranged Tempest.
No Sera is always a good thing and if you find yourself getting bored of Rogue then you can always just play Vivienne since she's a KE.

Grisby

I've plalyed but I'm waiting until I can customize my
Hawke
and keep my American voice, my ocd won't let me play with that thing they call default. Sucks cause I was having so much fun.
It sucks something fierce. Can't see how that big of a bug made it past the team. Surely someone must have played with the american voice.

It sucks something fierce. Can't see how that big of a bug made it past the team. Surely someone must have played with the american voice.
yea, it's really weird.

I'm playing a male human warrior right now and I picked the American voice... it sounded so overacted but I liked it because it fit with my warrior... then I suddenly noticed around level 11 that I sounded like a whiny jerk. I haaaate the other male option, it sounds so smarmy and gross.
It was a good thing I had a save not far before I realized it.

Vamphuntr

I'm about 40 hours in right now and I'm impressed by the visuals. With everything maxed the game is so pretty. Can't believe it eats up about the full 4GB VRAM of my card.

It's too bad the game is filled with MMO fetch quests.

Megasoum

Banned
How does masterworks work exactly?

I'm crafting a shield using a dragon tooth that is supposed to give me 40% chance to get a 10% boost on my stats but I tried to craft it like 5 times now and the stats never change.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.

I'm crafting a shield using a dragon tooth that is supposed to give me 40% chance to get a 10% boost on my stats but I tried to craft it like 5 times now and the stats never change.

Seed is generated when the item drops. Reload cheating won't work.

I don't bother with the Masterwork percentage chance, I use the Masterwork to put in an ability - much more useful. 10% chance to use Hidden Blades upon bit, +3 or +5 Guard on hit, etc.

Smiley90

Really? That's dumb. So basically that rare loot that is supposed to help me make good items has a 60% chance of being worthless?

That's how a 40% chance is supposed to work. Reload cheating would make it 100%, but it's not 100%.

When the dragon tooth drops?so basically if I use it once and it doesn't proc I can just get rid of the tooth since it's useless?

Yes.

Might as well ask this now as I'm curious about it and procrastinating. What level should a Knight Enchanter be to take down the Hinterlands Dragon? I just passed into 14 now but my team kind of sucks. Associated with that question, what is a good team for a KE? I love me some Varric but find him near useless on the field. Dorian and Blackwall usually fill up the other two spots.

Smiley90

Keep in mind that it also works the other way around - a 10% chance item will ALWAYS proc if that's the seed it got. Save, test which masterwork item procs, then use that one to craft your expensive armor/weapon.

Ashodin

Might as well ask this now as I'm curious about it and procrastinating. What level should a Knight Enchanter be to take down the Hinterlands Dragon? I just passed into 14 now but my team kind of sucks. Associated with that question, what is a good team for a KE? I love me some Varric but find him near useless on the field. Dorian and Blackwall usually fill up the other two spots.

14 is good. Also I run with usually one other mage, Solas or Dorian, plus Varric or Cole, and Cassandra or Blackwall.

Setup usually is me, Solas, Cole, Blackwall, or me, Dorian, Varric, and Cassandra.

Also fuck save cheating, I play legit. Also gain 3 guard on hit is stupidly broken awesomesauce, put it on anyone not a warrior and they can't be beat!

Second playthrough deffo gonna be a Elf Warrior Templar.

Might as well ask this now as I'm curious about it and procrastinating. What level should a Knight Enchanter be to take down the Hinterlands Dragon? I just passed into 14 now but my team kind of sucks.

I fought it at 16, I think. Did alright. Keep in mind it's almost a 1-v-1 fight because your party AI is so dumb, they run right into fireballs.

SRTtoZ

About to give up on this game because its crashing so much. INSANELY frustrating to have to re-do inventory management for 10 minutes because of a fucking crash. Serioulsy, the first half of the game was fine, now towards 50-60% into the story and its a trainwreck, cassandra romance glitch, Stroud talking glitch, crashed on me once tonight in an hour of play, crashed on me 4-5 times the other night. Cmon Bioware, I fucking love this game but its frustrating.

Just got Skyhold.

Boy. Those last few custscenes sure where something.

Also.
Nice twist on just having you close the breach then and there. I was expecting that to be looming over you the entire game and the final mission would be you going into it.

Also I guess the big bad was in Dragon Age 2 at some point? Maybe I should have held off and played 2 but whatever. What done is done. Plus I like role playing my character and learn the events of 2 through the characters I meet from that game.

Megasoum

Banned
Keep in mind that it also works the other way around - a 10% chance item will ALWAYS proc if that's the seed it got. Save, test which masterwork item procs, then use that one to craft your expensive armor/weapon.

Yeah I realized that as I was typing my previous message.

I got it to proc with one of my 20% item.

I love how Bull doesn't call Vivienne "Viv" any more, instead he calls her "ma'am" now ever since Vivienne scolded him about that. Bull is a gentleman, lol.

Also, Bull teased Cassandra about doing something in between the sheets with my Inquisitor - Cassandra was like, "how do you know we don't do that already?"

Bull: *laughs*

I love his laugh.

You aren't doing it right. I was easily hitting for 6k+ with twin fangs/hidden blades if I flanked and this is with the assassin specialization

I practically carried my party damage-wise in the endgame. Tempest makes rogue the second-brokest class in the game.

Not for me. My assassin is really strong. I always go invisible and one shot the toughest enemy before the fight even starts. Great DPS too.

Uh? I do like 6-7k twin fangs without stealth on almost everything, Deathblow for up to 8-10k. I have 100%crit from behind so I autoattack for like 1.5-2k too. Nothing even has near the correct amount of health and armor on nightmare to stay alive more than a couple of seconds against melee rogue. I forced the last boss phase changes in the duration of a single lightning flask, so I don't even know what he does. Generally I have all my team attacking one mob and I can take out 3 or 4 mobs by the time they're done with that one mob. That's not even counting the fact Thousand Cuts can one shot everything in the game.

Okay, so... that's pretty weird, then. I feel like crits just aren't working properly for me, or something, or I'm just missing a key part of how to use assassin skills like an idiot or something. I'm playing on hard, if that matters.

I'm level 16. I have two daggers that do roughly 270DPS each. I have all the skills meant to enhance the use of stealth and crits. Generally, when entering a fight, I'll pop stealth and do a rear/flank attack with either Twin Fangs or Shadow Strike. For whatever reason, this seems to do... nothing, sometimes, or if I'm lucky it'll take a smidgen of health. Theoretically, with say, Shadow Strike, coming out of stealth with Knife in the Shadows should guarantee me... 533% plus 200% stealth bonus plus whatever crit bonus damage is, right?

That's definitely not happening. Unless there's another armor pen stat/mechanic I've somehow managed to ignore entirely, I feel like I'm not doing the damage I should be. It's not like I'm taking on guys I shouldn't be, either - this happens against wolves and crap a few levels below me. I'll take a video example if it can help someone pinpoint what the heck I'm doing wrong.

So we've now determined that Xander just straight up sucks at the game.

Good to know.

Err, sorry. You in a bad mood or something?

14 is good. Also I run with usually one other mage, Solas or Dorian, plus Varric or Cole, and Cassandra or Blackwall.

Setup usually is me, Solas, Cole, Blackwall, or me, Dorian, Varric, and Cassandra.

I try to have two mages but I'm getting annoyed with Dorian Necroing enemies that force me to wait until they die so that I can move on. He's a favourite character for sure so I put up with that but I may switch to Solas as my friends have been telling me I really should be bringing him along more. I'm not a fan of Cassandra as a character but I'm also not a fan of Blackwalls specialization.

I fought it at 16, I think. Did alright. Keep in mind it's almost a 1-v-1 fight because your party AI is so dumb, they run right into fireballs.

Yeah, I figured as much. They enjoy burning through the potions and standing in front of projectiles so much so that I was considering soloing it or simply just bringing along another mage.

Thanks, guys!

Special C

I try to have two mages but I'm getting annoyed with Dorian Necroing enemies that force me to wait until they die so that I can move on. He's a favourite character for sure so I put up with that but I may switch to Solas as my friends have been telling me I really should be bringing him along more. I'm not a fan of Cassandra as a character but I'm also not a fan of Blackwalls specialization.

Yeah, I figured as much. They enjoy burning through the potions and standing in front of projectiles so much so that I was considering soloing it or simply just bringing along another mage.

Thanks, guys!

You can swap to Dorian and cancel Spirit Mark after the battle. I just have it set to never cast in tactics and only use it on the first enemy in a fight though.

Dresden

You can always respec out of the necromancer stuff, or at least spirit mark. The regular elemental spells are more useful anyways.

Okay, so... that's pretty weird, then. I feel like crits just aren't working properly for me, or something, or I'm just missing a key part of how to use assassin skills like an idiot or something. I'm playing on hard, if that matters.

I'm level 16. I have two daggers that do roughly 270DPS each. I have all the skills meant to enhance the use of stealth and crits. Generally, when entering a fight, I'll pop stealth and do a rear/flank attack with either Twin Fangs or Shadow Strike. For whatever reason, this seems to do... nothing, sometimes, or if I'm lucky it'll take a smidgen of health. Theoretically, with say, Shadow Strike, coming out of stealth with Knife in the Shadows should guarantee me... 533% plus 200% stealth bonus plus whatever crit bonus damage is, right?

That's definitely not happening. Unless there's another armor pen stat/mechanic I've somehow managed to ignore entirely, I feel like I'm not doing the damage I should be. It's not like I'm taking on guys I shouldn't be, either - this happens against wolves and crap a few levels below me. I'll take a video example if it can help someone pinpoint what the heck I'm doing wrong.

Err, sorry. You in a bad mood or something?

I'd say, check your stats, there's some bugs with the skill rings so maybe there's bugs with armor pen gear stacking too? If like, you had negative armor pen. Your weapons aren't as good as mine in my example since I was using endgame weapons, but 270 is higher than what I was using at lvl 15 ish and I was one shotting almost everything still at that point. Most mobs don't have much armor at all, especially the mages/archers that you should be targetting first as a rogue, so penetration shouldn't be relevant there, you should do almost full damage regardless, which with these weapons should be like 1.5-2k, enough to one shot them with Twin Fangs.

Either respec out of spirit, or put the release spell in your tactics menu to preferred so he'll cancel them instantly. You lose on the spirit but still get the dot damage. Alternatively, you can select him and release the spirits manually. I personally didn't have the skill on Dorian, I took Walking Bomb and the rest of the skills were normal mage stuff, I had 1 point barrier for emergency(I had Vivienne being the pure support), the freeze spell and fade step and then all the fire stuff.

Special C

I'd say, check your stats, there's some bugs with the skill rings so maybe there's bugs with armor pen gear stacking too? If like, you had negative armor pen. Your weapons aren't as good as mine in my example since I was using endgame weapons, but 270 is higher than what I was using at lvl 15 ish and I was one shotting almost everything still at that point. Most mobs don't have much armor at all, especially the mages/archers that you should be targetting first as a rogue, so penetration shouldn't be relevant there, you should do almost full damage regardless, which with these weapons should be like 1.5-2k, enough to one shot them with Twin Fangs.

Also matters what Difficulty you are playing on.

Approaching the Hinterlands on a second playthrough is a lot more relaxed. You know where everything is and have a decent rhythm when it comes to tackling quests. You're free to enjoy the scenery and exploration without feeling overwhelmed.

So just a quick sound off, how many people here are beyond doubt that this will be their GOTY?

I am

Yep.

Corpekata

Banned
If you're tired of Necros keeping their dead pals along, switch to them, and use the Necro spell. It's a toggle. It'll kill off their pet. They also have one for triggering Walking Bomb early.

Either respec out of spirit, or put the release spell in your tactics menu to preferred so he'll cancel them instantly. You lose on the spirit but still get the dot damage. Alternatively, you can select him and release the spirits manually. I personally didn't have the skill on Dorian, I took Walking Bomb and the rest of the skills were normal mage stuff, I had 1 point barrier for emergency(I had Vivienne being the pure support), the freeze spell and fade step and then all the fire stuff.

I only seem to have 10% attack, but I'm not sure if that's a stat that applies on top of a base 100%. That's the only thing out of the ordinary I can really see...

Also matters what Difficulty you are playing on.

I said nightmare in my post earlier, so it's not that. You can start one shotting every ranged mob as a melee rogue as soon as you go to val royeaux and buy the tier2 schematics and keep recrafting when you get new metal tiers.

You can swap to Dorian and cancel Spirit Mark after the battle. I just have it set to never cast in tactics and only use it on the first enemy in a fight though.
I somehow forgot you could do that. Actually, I had no idea you could be specific with the tactics in Inquisition, I thought it was much more bare boned than that.

You can always respec out of the necromancer stuff, or at least spirit mark. The regular elemental spells are more useful anyways.

I do enjoy using spirit mark for some fights, I suppose my issue would be fixed if I had better control over his use of it. As I'm away from my console at the moment I cannot check this but am I able to set his tactics to avoid using it on the last enemy on the field? If that were the case it would almost solve my issues with it.

I'm actually fairly surprised people are using normal skills more than the specializations on him- I would have thought everyone was ditching those skills in favour of necromancy. I think I'll give this a shot though, it's worth it to see if it improves my teams overall survivability. As it stands it doesn't seem like they can handle the simplest of battles if I;m not constantly micromanaging them.

So just a quick sound off, how many people here are beyond doubt that this will be their GOTY?

I am

Well South Park did come out this year, I hope people remember that. It'll be a toss up for me between those two and Far Cry 4. Although I feel like I'm forgetting some titles and would also like to mention how great The Wolf Among Us, Game of Thrones, and Tales from the Borderlands were.

Ashodin

Just set necro rez to X instead of check or star.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom