• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age Spell combos: grease + fireball = grease fire. TOOLSET confirmed.

RJT

As a rule, I would rather have five 20 hour episodes costing 20$ each than a 100 hour game costing 50$. Unfortunately, I doubt a 20h game would cost just 20$...

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
Assuming the quality is high, 20 hours is fine for me as a minimum. Anything on top of that is icing on the cake.

Of course, I'd also expect more sequels and spinoffs using the same engine. Anything else would be a tragic waste.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Chairman Yang said:
Of course, I'd also expect more sequels and spinoffs using the same engine. Anything else would be a tragic waste.

Here's hoping their buddies at Obsidian license the engine. For great justice.

ToxicAdam

* Origin Stories – Players will select and play a unique prelude that provides the lens through which the player sees the world and how the world sees the player. The player’s choice of Origin will determine who they are and where they begin the adventure, as they play through a customized story opening that profoundly impacts the course of every adventure.

Probably needs to be stressed, before it gets buried in the thread.

Looks like it will be a shorter adventure, but the "origins" angle will encourage you to replay it a few times. Which is great as long as the storyline and combat system kick ass.

Combining spells to create new ones sound terrific.

Minsc

Gold Member
EviLore said:
Here's hoping their buddies at Obsidian license the engine. For great justice.
The sequels and the games from Obsidian from this engine will be the stuff of legend, there will be many heads to send flying in the name of good and even more in the name of space hamsters everywhere!

_Xenon_ said:
:lol :lol

trailers + EA logo --> gaf go apeshit --> gameplay shot --> bioware is god, again

Man, you guys never learn. Never doubt the true power of bioware, NEVER.
??

This screenshot is rad. The trailers were terrible.

What should I have learned? Each opinion was based on the thing in question! I don't even think there WAS an EA logo, and if there was I don't remember it.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
I have never played BG but the gameplay shot looks good. I was always excited about this game, even after the trailers.

Ledsen

Woakes said:
I think though these production values are wasted. Firstly, I don't need the epic cutscenes with all the motion capture and studio rent time that entails; And I'm pretty sure that's where most of the extra production comes from. Sure you probably have to pay voice actors more now as well and the whole game is likley voiced, but then I'm not sure it'd be the end of the world if every line of dialogue wasn't.

Which just leaves the gameplay graphics. BG's pre-rendered backdrops were made in a modeller and textured/rendered. That gameplay screenshot from DA is in a lot of ways even worse than BG2, from a pure top-down standpoint. Blocky shadows and octagonal barrels because it's rendered real time with performance concerns. Either way the production time for an area, sans mo-cap for the character models, is likley the same as BG2 was. I know it has over the shoulder views too but my argument is I didn't need that in BG2 and I don't now.

Anyway,... I know I just said BG2 > DA because DA has octagonal barrels. /skulks off

I don't believe you.

Exactly, YOU don't need it. Most of the people who will buy this game do. If Bioware wanted to please you and a handful of other people, they could make it without fancy-pansy graphics/cutscenes and go bankrupt in the process. OR they could make a game that will sell.

Woakes

Ledsen said:
Exactly, YOU don't need it. Most of the people who will buy this game do. If Bioware wanted to please you and a handful of other people, they could make it without fancy-pansy graphics/cutscenes and go bankrupt in the process. OR they could make a game that will sell.

That's fine, but it's not a spiritual successor to BG2 then is it if it's not aimed at the same demographic. It's just marketing hyperbole :) And are you really saying a game without million dollar cutscenes won't sell?

KTallguy

Banned
Hated the teasers, but the screenshot looks nice.

For some reason, I never really enjoyed the combat in BG2 or Planescape: Torment. I also thought "The Witcher" was janky and not very fun. I hope that this game improves on the combat a bit, at least to make it look more dynamic.

I need this game.

I hope the tools to make our own content with this engine are avaliable. But I'll be satisfied with just the game. 2014 can't come soon enough!
j/k 2009

butsomuch

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/53624

Dragon Age Headed to Consoles
by Chris Faylor Jul 14, 2008 6:13pm

BioWare's upcoming Dragon Age RPG franchise will eventually extend its reach to consoles following its PC debut next year, the developer has revealed.

No details were offered on the console editions, leaving it unclear if the console games will be simple ports or entirely new entries in the myhtology-rich series.

Billed as the "spiritual successor" to BioWare's work on the Baldurs Gate games, the first Dragon Age title, Dragon Age: Origins, arrives on PC next year.

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=181474

Dragon Age coming to consoles

At EA's E3 press conference, BioWare co-founder Greg Zeschuk mentioned that the Dragon Age franchise would be coming to consoles in the future.

Zeschuk was showing Dragon Age: Origins, BioWare's dark fantasy RPG for PC, which he described as the spiritual successor to classic BioWare titles such as Baldur's Gate.

He said that he expected Dragon Age to become a major franchise "on PC and, in future, on consoles".

It's not clear whether he meant that Origins itself would be ported across, or that other games would be released for consoles under the Dragon Age banner.

We'll have more on Dragon Age from the show later in the week.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
If Dragon Age is to hit consoles, expect spin-offs ala Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance. There is no way console gamers with their pacifiers in their mouths will stand for isometric clickity-click gameplay.

kevm3

Wow@this coming to consoles. In one way I am happy, considering the fact that I'll actually be able to play this, as my PC will be too old to run this. On the other hand, I know the game will be "streamlined" in order to be able to put it on consoles.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Just saw the gameplay screens... Such Awesomeness. Isometric/Top Down = Heck Yea!!!
After a boring trailer...I'm stoked again

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
One screenshot did more for DA then a website update, a trailer, and an extension of that trailer did for it...

Then they pissed it away with console bullshit. Totally reeks of EA

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
Console ports are fine as long as the game isn't compromised for the PC. They can subsidize the original PC versions, and justify larger budgets than the game would've had otherwise.

Ventrue

nelsonroyale said:
wow, thought that was BG2...graphics look pretty bad to me...much worse than ME

You genuinely confused the graphics with this?

baldurs2_screen005.jpg

Also, keep in mind that ME had only a handful of characters on screen at any given time. DA appears to have a much larger scale.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Chairman Yang said:
Console ports are fine as long as the game isn't compromised for the PC. They can subsidize the original PC versions, and justify larger budgets than the game would've had otherwise.

But that the problem. I doubt they wont compromise it to reach the masses

Hunahan

Banned
Screenshot looks about as good as a singular screenshot can look, I guess.

Hopefully we can glean some actual gameplay footage by the end of the event.

I wonder what kind of specs are needed for this.

I'm not really sure how this style of game can be transferred to consoles, but I suppose we'll find out eventually, then.

Looks good. As many others have said that one gameplay shot is 1000x better than either of the trailers. "Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice, watch it, I'm huge!" Love Minsc.

Ventrue said:
You genuinely confused the graphics with this?

baldurs2_screen005.jpg

Also, keep in mind that ME had only a handful of characters on screen at any given time. DA appears to have a much larger scale.

I did....perhaps it looks better than the screens in motion, but it looks pretty damn poor to me

Gattsu25

Banned
nelsonroyale said:
I did....perhaps it looks better than the screens in motion, but it looks pretty damn poor to me
There are doctors that can help you with your disability, you know. Also, depending on your insurance options, a Lasik procedure might not entirely break the bank.

Vaporak

Bioware has updated the Dragon Age site with the E3 trailer, turns out the two teaser trailers were just cut down versions of this one. The site also now has screen shots, wallpapers, and setting/character information. AKA, it's the site Bioware should have had on the 9th. http://dragonage.bioware.com/

Top Bottom