• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball fans, how do you feel about the inclusion of GT content in future games?

Zalman

Super is garbage. I hate the unjustified praise this extended fiction BS gets.

The only reason Super exists is because Toei begged Toriyma to come back and make them more money with the Dragonball IP. In that sense, there is literally no difference between GT and that.
Some of us enjoy and watch it every week.

And the difference is that Toriyama is actually involved in the story this time.

It's something that can't be taken away at this point. SSJ4 is too iconic (merchandisable). As long as it's only extra fighters or costumes I'm cool with it, but I think every writer knows not to touch the story with a ten ft
power
pole.

Super, as flawed as it is, brings interesting new ideas to the table (and retcons some older ones. Damn potara). The multiverse alone provides so much potential and it's here where Super shines, not when it's messing with time travel. Leave that for Xenoverse.

ryushe

Really? That's one of the few things that is generally liked from GT. I mean yea, some have soured on the design over time, but still.
Yeah, I'm genuinely shocked. When I used to frequent Dragon Ball forums in my youth, everyone uses to just shit so hard on everything GT, SSJ4 included.

Personally, while I don't LOVE GT, I think it does some things much much MUCH better than Super. I mean, Super just got good almost 100 episodes in. GT already finished and had two decent arcs in its pocket well before then.

Shauni

2079.jpg

Oh wow, didn't even know about that and I have the other DBZ gba games.

ultimota

i'm all for it i love GT :) still hope they somehow find a way to tie GT back into the canon when super finishes up :) somehow....

i like just about all of the series and movies....filler included, curse of the blood rubies is probably the only exception.

LotusHD

Banned
Yeah, I'm genuinely shocked. When I used to frequent Dragon Ball forums in my youth, everyone uses to just shit so hard on everything GT, SSJ4 included.

Personally, while I don't LOVE GT, I think it does some things much much MUCH better than Super. I mean, Super just got good almost 100 episodes in. GT already finished and had two decent arcs in its pocket well before then.

Hmm nah, it's been decent since the Goku Black arc,

Angel_DvA

Super is garbage. I hate the unjustified praise this extended fiction BS gets.

The only reason Super exists is because Toei begged Toriyma to come back and make them more money with the Dragonball IP. In that sense, there is literally no difference between GT and that.

Thank you, it's like some people are blind because Toriyama is "working" on it, give the anime another name and it wouldn't have a second season...

J-Skee

GT had some amazing concepts, can despite the execution being somewhat lacking. After years of abusing the Dragon Balls, they could eventually be the thing that kills our heroes? Not a bad idea at all. A Super Saiyan transformation that involves bringing back the original transformation that Saiyan went through? Why wasn't that brought up before? That's actually a pretty great idea, even though the growth of the tail itself is inconsistent as hell. With better execution, the show could've been a lot better.

Majukun

keep GT and super material as far as possible from my dragonball games (albeit it's gonna be impossible)
i grew up reading manga,so i'm pretty adamant about the only content acceeptable being from the author himself and not from some other people that are using the license...they are not and should not become american comic books.

Shauni

keep GT and super material as far as possible from my dragonball games (albeit it's gonna be impossible)
i grew up reading manga,so i'm pretty adamant about the only content acceeptable being from the author himself and not from some other people that are using the license...they are not and should not become american comic books.

Super has manga that's scripted primary by the original author, so...

Majukun

Super has manga that's scripted primary by the original author, so...

i don't believe one bit that most of that its written by toriyama..not more than i believed that toriyama "supervised" GT back in the day. but that's just me.

Shauni

i don't believe one bit that most of that its written by toriyama..not more than i believed that toriyama "supervised" GT back in the day. but that's just me.

I don't know, maybe, but he seems to be a lot more active in promoting Super than he ever was with GT.

Manga is scripted by Toyotaru...

No, he's doing the art. I'm fairly sure Toriyama is doing the actual scripting, or at least outlining it. Cover art for the first volume has story by Toriyama and think all individual releases credited that way.

Macka

I don't like GT all that much, but SS4 is infinitely better looking than Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan.

Like, really? It just looks like Super Saiyan but worse because Gold > Cyan. At least they quickly ditched the standard Super Saiyan God I suppose.

Plus I just really dislike the entire idea of equating Saiyans to gods.

Nightbird

Thank you, it's like some people are blind because Toriyama is "working" on it, give the anime another name and it wouldn't have a second season...

Or maybe it's actually decent?

Would explain why Super is in it's third year now while GT barely managed to go beyond one.

LotusHD

Banned

I really don't see the point in saying the bolded.

That said, the salt I see people have for people enjoying DBS baffles me. It just carries this implication that DBS fans have loved the show since Day 1, that they never have anything themselves to criticize, when that definitely has not been the case. It was an extremely slow burn.

DBS had us go through 27 episodes in order to adapt the two movies we'd already seen. Even when we finally got something new, I never got the impression that people were particularly hyped for DBS, not to mention the animation back then was... lacking, to put it lightly.

I can't speak for everyone, but it did feel that people became noticeably more positive towards the show since the point where we saw this:

tumblr_o5so1bjqvA1qc9dlro1_500.gif

Then after that arc we had the Goku Black arc, where for once, I was actually beginning to look forward to the episodes, rather than it being a sort of weekly thing that I watch because why not. And that trend of actually looking forward to next week's episodes continues onto this current arc. It took a long ass time, but yes, DBS finally seems to have gained a lot of goodwill from everyone, even moreso due to actually making older characters have some relevance again. Even the animation has gradually improved somewhat.

To just say people are being "blind" or giving it "unjustified praise" simply by being at a point where they can genuinely say they're now actually enjoying the show is just ridiculous.

Everything I loved about that arc (and believe me, there were a lot) was immediately dismissed by its ending.

I figured you'd say that actually lol

There are certainly things that could've been done better, but overall I felt it was decent. Was also kind of cute in how for once Goku and co. didn't really get a clean victory with little repercussions.

Angel_DvA

Or maybe it's actually decent?

Would explain why Super is in it's third year now while GT barely managed to go beyond one.

Maybe because people are watching Super with hope it'll be good again because Toriyama is "working" on it ? the show has great fan service too, I want Super to be good because I love DB like everyone but for now its trash, even Black Goku who was interesting at the beginning get wasted on a terrible third act.

It's cool to see SSJ4 up against Blue. Super and GT might as well coexist for fan service sake, rather than removing the opportunity because some people didn't like it.

Bakercat

I like some things about GT, such as Vegeta's design, the SS4 look and design, the baby arc, just minus the space stuff, and the concept of the overuse of dragonballs and their negative effect on the the world, especially as an end to the Dragonball story. While I do like the SS4 design, I absolutely hate that it is called super sayian 4. It literally looks nothing like a super sayian at all. They should of went the route that Super did and give it a special name instead of slapping a number on it. I tend to call it, "super sayian primal" because of the way it is designed which looks like a regressed evolution of a sayian to me and the fact that you must have a tail and go through the golden Oozaru form to achieve it.

However, I don't think the story stands up well as a end to the series. There are way to many plot holes in GT that don't make any sense if you watched Z like me for so long that you know all kinds of little details. It just doesn't feel right as a series and it's concepts to end the Dragonball. I think Super is doing a much better job of handling what the cast and world is like after the Majin Buu saga. With the show being seen more positive than GT at this point and just being overall really positive and successful right now, I think that they may be doing a time skip soon and retelling the martial arts tournament saga with Uub in a mini ark before moving on past the end of Z and eventually retconning GT.

I do think GT can still exist alongside Super though even if this happens, but only through the multiverse idea that was told through the future Trunks saga and Goku black arc, where there are endless copies of universes where each are a little different from one another. It might seem a cop-out, but hey, everyone is happy then.

VDenter

Banned
I hated everything about GT sure it had some interesting concepts and potential but the problem is that is literally all it did have. The execution the part that matters was terrible across the board. But including GT characters is not something that ever bothered me. Its only bad when its inclusion gets in the way of actual cannon material.

Ricky 7

If they change the name of SSJ4 to something else then I'll be fine with it. It always made me angry as a kid how it was the next step after SSJ3 because it didn't look cool.

brinstar

He didn't supervise GT. He gave them some character concepts to work off of in the beginning and then bounced.

For Super he writes outlines of the stories and designs the characters and lets Toei and Toyatarou flesh them out in their own ways. He's much more active with this series than he ever was with GT.

Sony

Nintendo
I see the same hollow anti-GT posts while in realisty Super only had 2 or 3 decent episodes. Super's plot/direction is bad, the animations are bad, the artstyle is bad and probably one of the worst offenders is the shakycam.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Only as end-of-the-line extra material, bottom priority, underneath Super and the original Dragon Ball, in that order.

The original DB didn't have many Z -> onward friendly characters for the kinds of games this universe usually gets, which is why I put it below Super, which absolutely does.

I think GT should still he included in the games. Denying its existence, even in the games, I feel is really immature. It's apart of the Dragonball universe whether you like it or not.

I hoping we see some GT characters in DBFZ. Particularly SSJ4 Gohan and Broly. We got them as assists in Extreme Butodan and I really wanna see them as fleshed out characters.

RRockman

Banned
GT wasn't perfect but towards the end it had some great ideas, like having the DragonBalls bite the Z fighters in the rear for overusing them, and I really found the ending to be great with them moving on from the dragon balls and letting the dead stay dead as well as letting the new generation shine.

Also SS4 is way better than Blue. Far more creative design wise too. I want x10 Kamehameha in future games.

BasilZero

I'm not sure if or should the new DBFZ should have any of the GT designs or characters.

But all others should though.

More content the better imo.

I-hate-u

This is not a GT vs Super discussion, it's whether future games should include GT content.

I say sure, it's like adding characters from movies like Broly and Bojack. As long as it's last on the priority list, and Super gets more representation. GT content doesn't hold a candle to the characters, abilities, and world set up of Super, lets not kid ourselves here.

I don't like GT at all, but I don't care if they add stuff for fans of it so long as it doesn't mean other stuff from Z or Super is precluded.

Also, SSJ4 is terrible and some 90s grunge bullshit.

SSJB is so much better.

I don't know, maybe, but he seems to be a lot more active in promoting Super than he ever was with GT.

No, he's doing the art. I'm fairly sure Toriyama is doing the actual scripting, or at least outlining it. Cover art for the first volume has story by Toriyama and think all individual releases credited that way.
No he is not. Seriously wtf are you talking about? Toriyama just provides a treatment. The entire manga is done by Toyotaru. We know the development process. Toriyama just oversees it, nothing more.

Nightbird

Maybe because people are watching Super with hope it'll be good again because Toriyama is "working" on it ? the show has great fan service too, I want Super to be good because I love DB like everyone but for now its trash, even Black Goku who was interesting at the beginning get wasted on a terrible third act.

If this were a year ago, i'd say you were right, but Super is good now. It may have the rockiest start of a TV Show i've ever seen, but Toei got their shit together, and made Super something worth watching.

Also, SSJ4 is terrible and some 90s grunge bullshit.

SSJB is so much better.

I just can't agree with that. Before Super, the look of SSJB was nothing more than fan recolorings of SSJ on deviant art and AF fanblogs. Nothing about it looks original.

SSJ4 at least looks like it had thought put into it and brings back some original Saiyan concepts.

Zaverious

Hell yeah keep them in the games. GT's treatment in games after Tenkaichi 3 is ridiculous. Only now has it sorta been making a comeback with the Xenoverse games.

Top Bottom