• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball FighterZ - Characters, Specials, and Stages Discussion

Fandangox

Oh my fucking god the chibi lobby characters are so adorable and cute.

I swear my heart won't recover if they don't give me chibi 17.

I am pretty confident chibi versions of most of the notable DB cast will be available to use as avatars even if a lot of them aren't plyable proper.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
New scan translation about Trunks and the online mode

I suggest you to remove the url to the scan since it's bannable offense. (I would recommend other two people who quoted you to remove it as well) We certainly don't want to have MVC3 incident on our hands do we?

On other hand, the news sound pretty good.

Eylos

Banned
It's clearly some sort of spaceship, but I don't recognize it, it's probably an original design?
GokuShip1.png

There's a house If you zoom
Edit: The colors are different though

I don't think its Capsule Corp since that ship looking thing doesn't seem to match up. That and the stage that's obscured by the scanlated text appears to be West City if you see the unaltered image.

I'm so pumped for this game, really hope I get into the beta. The last time i was this pumped for a DBZ was fiba Bout. Took me 2 1/2 to find the game here in the states back in 1999.

Slaythe

As a kid, I would have had a lot more fun on Final Bout if I understood how to fucking use meteor smashes.

The soundtrack was absolutely godlike though.

DrDogg

Does the scan confirm Piccolo and Krillin or did I just miss the announcement?

Also, I still think anyone who shows up in the current tournament arc is fair game for the main roster. It would just be very surprising if ArcSys didn't have advanced knowledge of what was happening in Super upward of 9 months before release. I could be wrong, but it just seems very strange if that were to be the case.

As bad as Final Bout was, it was perfect for me back in the day. Super Saiyan 4 Goku and his hot dog tail, dat opening with Base Goku Vs Freeza, Piccolo Vs Cell, Gohan Vs Boo, Vegeta Vs Goku. I had the import, but that game felt like a dream come true when I first played it.

Now when I got around to getting Ultimate Battle 22......................

Neoxon

Also, I still think anyone who shows up in the current tournament arc is fair game for the main roster. It would just be very surprising if ArcSys didn't have advanced knowledge of what was happening in Super upward of 9 months before release. I could be wrong, but it just seems very strange if that were to be the case.
I'm sure they were made aware of the Universe 7 team well in advance (likely as Toei maybe asking ASW to include the entire team), but I don't think they knew the specifics of characters like Caulifla or Kale beyond the fact that they existed.

And yes, Piccolo & Krillin were revealed.

Skab

Piccolo and Krillin were announced/revealed today, yes

Slaythe

They confirmed them in the scan yes. Go to shonengamez.

Also, the public announcement of the arc with 17 and "ultimate gohan" being back, was back in november. So they basically knew a year and half before release.

As bad as Final Bout was, it was perfect for me back in the day. Super Saiyan 4 Goku and his hot dog tail, dat opening with Base Goku Vs Freeza, Piccolo Vs Cell, Gohan Vs Boo, Vegeta Vs Goku. I had the import, but that game felt like a dream come true when I first played it.

Shin Butoden was great =( ...... What a tragedy

I never had a chance to play Shin Butouden, unfortunately. I remember when everyone said it was way better than Ultimate Battle 22.

From what I recall, everyone had endings in Shin Butouden as well. I know when you beat Super Boo in Ultimate Battle, it just went to the credits. One thing that game had that I loved was nice opening animations with certain matchups. Super Saiyan 3 Goku Vs Majin Vegeta was cool, but I had no idea what the hell they were saying, lol.

Same here, had to mod my Ps1 and played in Japanese. The soundtrack was awesome though.

And the hotdog tail, so damn true. Looking back at it now, yea the game was shit, but I played the hell out of that and Ultimate 22 before the first budokai came out.

ARCsys previous DBZ game wasn't received very well: http://www.metacritic.com/game/3ds/dragon-ball-z-extreme-butoden

What went wrong?

Most of the user reviews tell me it's because it's a more traditional fighting game with no proper story mode. Idk why Dragon Ball fans hate 2D fighters so much. Though, even as a fighting game it's just okay. No motions, button combos lead to supers and it's just kinda weird. It's fun, but from what I played of DBFZ, I thought it was miles better than EB.

Anth0ny

Most of the user reviews tell me it's because it's a more traditional fighting game with no proper story mode. Idk why Dragon Ball fans hate 2D fighters so much. Though, even as a fighting game it's just okay. No motions, button combos lead to supers and it's just kinda weird. It's fun, but from what I played of DBFZ, I thought it was miles better than EB.

I think the biggest group of Western DBZ fans grew up with and fell in love with the Budokai Tenkaichi games.

Budokai 1-3 may have released a little too early for them/PS2 was still too expensive when they were released.

I think the biggest group of Western DBZ fans grew up with and fell in love with the Budokai Tenkaichi games.

Budokai 1-3 may have released a little too early for them/PS2 was still too expensive when they were released.

This is a good point. I played just about every DB game I could get my hands on back in the day and loved Budokai 2 and 3. When Budokai Tenkaichi came out, I was really saddened about how copy and paste the characters are and just how boring it is in comparison. Never really understood the love. Last one I played was Extreme Tenkaichi and I even thought that was worse than the original BT games. To each their own, I guess but I always thought they were kinda crappy.

Anth0ny

This is a good point. I played just about every DB game I could get my hands on back in the day and loved Budokai 2 and 3. When Budokai Tenkaichi came out, I was really saddened about how copy and paste the characters are and just how boring it is in comparison. Never really understood the love. Last one I played was Extreme Tenkaichi and I even thought that was worse than the original BT games. To each their own, I guess but I always thought they were kinda crappy.

Yeah I definitely preferred the Budokai games as well, but I did find it strangely satisfying to master the combat in the BT games and just run a freight train through opponents with SSJ4 Gogeta.

Or Appule.

Quebaz

Most of the DB fans that got into DB in the early 2000s don't want good fighting games with their favourite characters. They just want to be able to fly and fire off Kamehamehas with 150+ characters because it "resembles the show" and will do so year after year after year.

That said the Budokai games are kinda bad as fighting games anyway, Super DBZ should have been the one to have 7 iterations.

Karsha

There is something that feels weird about this game, not sure what it is yet but somehow all the videos I've seen make it feel the same and boring, maybe people just don't know how to play it yet, spamming that rush attack and random supers doesn't help much.

Most of the DB fans that got into DB in the early 2000s don't want good fighting games with their favourite characters. They just want to be able to fly and fire off Kamehamehas with 150+ characters because it "resembles the show" and will do so year after year after year.

That said the Budokai games are kinda bad as fighting games anyway, Super DBZ should have been the one to have 7 iterations.

tenor.gif

I just started playing it a year and two ago and love the game. Looks like DBFZ is bringing back that traditional fighter hype.

DrDogg

They confirmed them in the scan yes. Go to shonengamez.

Also, the public announcement of the arc with 17 and "ultimate gohan" being back, was back in november. So they basically knew a year and half before release.

Thanks! Does this confirm Tri-Form for Krillin? Might also hint at Piccolo having his similar technique.

Agreed, I played that game a lot back when it came out. I actually remember trying to get my friends to play that, GT Final Bout, and Ultimate Battle 22 with me more than Budokai or the Tenkaichi games, but they always thought they sucked. :( (Though they aren't exactly wrong with UB22 and FB...)

So if that's Muscle Tower in the screenshot of the online lobby, that's only ever been in original Dragon Ball, right? So maybe we might actually see some OG DB representation in the roster? That's something I've wished for but felt was extremely unlikely, but seeing Muscle Tower gives me a bit more hope.

Edit: Also I could totally imagine a mode similar to Mortal Kombat's tower mode except it's climbing up Muscle Tower.

Still no girls, huh.

Someone has never watched Dragon Ball.

There are what 2 girls in Z that fight? Chi-Chi to a comedic extent, unless we go into a Dragon Ball time loop, and Android 18 who I think we all know is guaranteed. If we count movies that turns into... 3? If we go into GT its like 4 possible choices. Not sure about Super.

There are what 2 girls in Z that fight? Chi-Chi to a comedic extent, unless we go into a Dragon Ball time loop, and Android 18 who I think we all know is guaranteed. If we count movies that turns into... 3? If we go into GT its like 4 possible choices. Not sure about Super.
videl_by_neo_sunglasses-d8gs4qm.jpg

And yes, there are two important female fighters in the current Super arc (Caulifla and Kale). There's also Future Mai and other female combatants from other universes.

LotusHD

Banned

Super has two female saiyans, as well as this other female character. Oh, and Mai I guess.

mas8705

And yes, there are two important female fighters in the current Super arc (Caulifla and Kale). There's also Future Mai and other female combatants from other universes.

The thing I question about that is if they will actually consider adding them in or not into the roster. At least you could say that Cabba might stand a good chance, but part of me wonders if it is way too soon to see Caulifla and Kale added in if they were barely introduced about 10 episodes ago. They could be added in later on as DLC, don't get me wrong, but to see them in the game this soon? Not too sure about that.

Not to mention that I feel like Kale's chance might be slightly tricky if people are still waiting for Broly to get announced and confirmed. Can't imagine what kind of backlash there would be if we saw Kale confirmed while Broly got the shaft.

As for Mai... I'd like to see that happen. Bare in mind that I want to see King Piccolo playable, but it really would be insane to see more Dragon Ball characters added into the roster, thus Mai could be an interesting addition if you have her as a gun based fighter rather than melee to help even the odds.

Eylos

Banned
Girls

100%

50%
Videl
Kaulifla
Kale

25%
Pan
That girl from the bojack movie

10%
Chi-chi
Bulma
Mai

1% and im cheerleading for it
Launch

Statitics from toma (tales of my ass)

I think we Will get videl and 18 only unfortunately

And the Saiyans as dlc

LotusHD

Banned
The thing I question about that is if they will actually consider adding them in or not into the roster. At least you could say that Cabba might stand a good chance, but part of me wonders if it is way too soon to see Caulifla and Kale added in if they were barely introduced about 10 episodes ago. They could be added in later on as DLC, don't get me wrong, but to see them in the game this soon? Not too sure about that.

Not to mention that I feel like Kale's chance might be slightly tricky if people are still waiting for Broly to get announced and confirmed. Can't imagine what kind of backlash there would be if we saw Kale confirmed while Broly got the shaft.

Ironically they stand out more than Cabba though in terms of what they've shown so far, as they have different colored energy blasts, while Kale has the whole Broly nod. It's kind of amusing how imo he's been completely overshadowed by the two of them. So far there's no strong reason to want Cabba in before them tbh

Girls

100%

50%
Videl
Kaulifla
Kale

25%
Pan
That girl from the bojack movie

10%
Chi-chi
Bulma
Mai

1% and im cheerleading for it
Launch

Statitics from toma (tales of my ass)

I think we Will get videl and 18 only unfortunately

And the Saiyans as dlc

The Bojack girl has less of a chance making it in than Launch lol

Eylos

Banned
Ironically they stand out more than Cabba though in terms of what they've shown so far, as they have different colored energy blasts, while Kale has the whole Broly nod. It's kind of amusing how imo he's been completely overshadowed by the two of them. So far there's no strong reason to want Cabba in before them tbh

The Bojack girl has less of a chance making it in than Launch lol
She's not unusual on DBZ roster games, a bunch of them she's available.

Top Bottom