• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball FighterZ - Characters, Specials, and Stages Discussion

I like how ASW utilized the Ginyu Force in Ginyu's Lvl3 form in Supersonic Warriors.

Gurd would stop you via grab or attack with energy blasts in Supersonic Warriors 2. Reacoom does his Eraser Gun, and Jheese does his Crusher Ball. Butta doesn't appear in any of Ginyu's attacks.

They even had Kid Gohan assist Krillin in one of his attacks. That game was hella fun.

Sure but I feel like summoning would be a cop out, and not that amazing, idk.

I think his magical abilities would probably be the more interesting part. He can bind you, make you explode, and has all types of unexplored powers.

i'm imagining if you pick the ginyu force, you get to play as all five as separate characters, but they're your whole team and you can only play them as a set

Lulubop

i'm imagining if you pick the ginyu force, you get to play as all five as separate characters, but they're your whole team and you can only play them as a set

Huh?

Also they shouldn't be 5 separate characters. Have then different character as moves for Ginyu, use them for set up or combo extensions.

AESplusF

I think his magical abilities would probably be the more interesting part. He can bind you, make you explode, and has all types of unexplored powers.

If they decide to take creative liberty, then I think he could be really cool, the visual effects they used in the show were excellent.

FSLink

Banned
Huh?

Also they shouldn't be 5 separate characters. Have then different character as moves for Ginyu, use them for set up or combo extensions.

I dunno, if they have to make models for them and shade them properly, they might as well make them as separate characters considering how much work that'd be in this engine...

Slaythe

Virtually nothing implies they are inventing movesets so far though. They are using everything from anime or manga, not making shit up.

If this series gets a 3rd game and we're looking hard for characters, then sure add Launch and Babidi and make it up.

When we're waiting for those that have an actually fleshed out fighting style in the manga/anime to get in, it's not a good idea IMO.

I dunno, if they have to make models for them and shade them properly, they might as well make them as separate characters considering how much work that'd be in this engine...

The modelling itself is nothing compared to making the animations and working out the gameplay though. They're never gonna waste their time making the whole ginyu force playable.

Spman2099

They have already done it for Frieza. The thing is, they don't have to do much in the way of animating them (which would alleviate a large amount of the work). It wouldn't be like making a whole new character.

Eylos

Banned
They could make same animations for both characters (17 and 18)like the panda and Bear on Tekken, i think there' more characters like this, that Just change the 3d model, and Put in the same slot. Its lame, but i think Its Better than leave 17 out.

HardRojo

Babidi would be interesting and unique, I hadn't thought about him in that regard. It'd be great having 16, 17 and 18 but I don't think that's happening soon.
Beerus, Hit, Goku Black and hopefully Whis need to be a lock for the base roster :(

Edit: SSB RoF outfits Goku and Vegeta need to be there too :( I'd fucking love to have that version of Vegeta available in this game.

maks

Anyone have predictions for story mode? Will there be one? What could it be based on? Im leaning towards one being in there, without it there may be alot of negative comments from the majority of people looking forward to the game.

I think the logic of the cast being built around story mode is flawed, thanks to SSJ Goku and Vegeta being their default forms in the game.

So the Saiyan and majority of the Namek saga can't really be represented. That's more than 1/3 of Dragon Ball Z. Even with base Goku and Vegeta it'd still need characters like Kid Gohan, which seems unlikely.

Then its worth considering that this is one of the first major Dragon Ball games taking place during the 'Super' era of the franchise - recapping Z is basically recapping old stuff.

Considering the spectacle of the game I don't see Dragon Ball characters being a good fit, either. And GT has been usurped by Super. So I expect a roster consisting of the highlights of Z, and a sprinkling of Super (i.e. Beerus, Hit, Goku Black, Super Saiyan Blue) - I don't see them trying to sell this game while being unable to go "Look, it's stuff from Super - look, Goku Black!", with the most recent characters (i.e. Caulifla and Kale, and a newly reinvigorated Android 17) being candidates for DLC.

In the latest GG and BB games i believe story mode was just visual novel style. You dont actual need to read then fight every so often like other fighters during this mode. So im thinking you can still have a playable roster with each characters defining moment represented from the Z story.

Having super characters as dlc makes sense to me. The story for super can be caught up to if they can get a sequel.

Zalman

Babidi would be interesting and unique, I hadn't thought about him in that regard. It'd be great having 16, 17 and 18 but I don't think that's happening soon.
Beerus, Hit, Goku Black and hopefully Whis need to be a lock for the base roster :(

Edit: SSB RoF outfits Goku and Vegeta need to be there too :( I'd fucking love to have that version of Vegeta available in this game.
I'm still confused that they decided to base Vegeta on Super Vegeta, a form he barely used in the series. Maybe it's to create a stronger contrast between it and the SSB version.

Eylos

Banned
Anyone have predictions for story mode? Will there be one? What could it be based on? Im leaning towards one being in there, without it there may be alot of negative comments from the majority of people looking forward to the game.

In the latest GG and BB games i believe story mode was just visual novel style. You dont actual need to read then fight every so often like other fighters during this mode. So im thinking you can still have a playable roster with each characters defining moment represented from the Z story.

Having super characters as dlc makes sense to me. The story for super can be caught up to if they can get a sequel.

Already confirmed, details unknown, persona arena is visual novel style idk about guilty gear

I find it hard to believe the story will be similar to Guilty Gear's, which had no fighting whatsoever. I hope they go the Blazblue/Persona 4 route.

Here's my pie-in-the-sky roster

Goku
Goku (Super Saiyan Blue)
Vegeta
Vegeta (Super Saiyan Blue)
Gohan
Ultimate Gohan
Trunks
Gotenks
Piccolo
Krillin
Tenshinhan
Nappa
Freeza
Android 17
Android 18
Cell
Majin Buu
Kid Buu
Broly
Bardock
Beerus
Hit
Goku Black

DLC:

Vegetto (Super Saiyan Blue)
Merged Zamasu
Jiren

Yeah pretty much exactly what I am expecting. Hoping for some odd ball characters to be thrown in like Arale or Jaco.

Alienous

I'd hope for Android 17 as DLC, because then I think they could really do him justice. Developing him seperately from Android 18 seems like a good way of avoiding him becoming a mirror character, or a partial clone.

If they take his DB Super depiction as inspiration I think they could really make a character that stands on his own.

I'm still confused that they decided to base Vegeta on Super Vegeta, a form he barely used in the series. Maybe it's to create a stronger contrast between it and the SSB version.

It's perhaps his incarnation in the series.

95248a06efb4f23ca5218825eb7c69c6--dragonball-super-super-saiyan.jpg

Slaythe

I'd hope for Android 17 as DLC, because then I think they could really do him justice. Developing him seperately from Android 18 seems like a good way of avoiding him becoming a mirror character, or a partial clone.

If they take his DB Super depiction as inspiration I think they could really make a character that stands on his own.

17 doesn't fight anything like his sister though ? Like not at all ? They don't try to come up with moves they use what characters did in the manga and anime, so no problem ?

I believe it's time for my 17 post to come back, it's been weeks.

Let's go !

Android 17 moves

Energy shield (less range than Cell's but much faster)

tumblr_ooikn6VJOI1w3p557o1_540.gif

Dodges / baiting (maybe an ability to cancel homing dash with it)

giphy.gif

Dodge/Parry

tumblr_ooivs3aRKt1rnft7io1_540.gif

4roKd8v.gif

Dodge + Rekka high / low

giphy.gif

Kicks

tumblr_n669l4ccaY1tb4ryqo1_500.gif

tumblr_oovwffPUxX1w3p557o1_500.gif

Command grab + Slide Grab

tumblr_oc0vcgAACk1v1ooeno1_500.gif

0tHTwK0.gif

Anti air grab / air grab

3au3SL3.gif

Gun (would they ?!)

qLr33sh.gif

Mandatory LV 3 beam

mC91C1U.gif

Snaku

Banned
I kinda want 17 & 18 to be a single character, like Ice Climbers. I loved when they tagged teamed in the Trunks special.

Slaythe

I kinda want 17 & 18 to be a single character, like Ice Climbers. I loved when they tagged teamed in the Trunks special.

The Trunks special is mostly filler, 17 and 18 do not team up 2 on 1 in the canon.

Yeah, i also believe they will be the next reveals.

What's the panic tho? The twins will make it in.

I appreciate the optimism, but this is extremely unlikely, my friends.

Alienous

17 doesn't fight anything like his sister though ? Like not at all ? They don't try to come up with moves they use what characters did in the manga and anime, so no problem ?

Perhaps, but my experience with Dragon Ball Z fighting games that feature Android 17 and Android 18 are that they struggle to delineate between the characters, instead seeing them as two halves of a pair. So there's a lot of cross-over when it comes to movesets, such as Android 18 having an energy barrier. And yes, FighterZ is more faithful than the average Dragon Ball game, but other games have made the attempt be faithful to the series too.

My thinking is that if they both make it into the base game it'll be another situation like that, where they won't play that differently. Which is why I don't think Android 17 will make it into the base game - and why I think that could be fortunate for the character, as it gives him the opportunity to be developed in isolation from Android 18 as wholly a standalone character for DLC.

Nothing against Android 17 - that's just how I see it, trying to follow the logic that would determine roster choices.

Neoxon

Characters that are guaranteed:
1)18
2) 17
3) kid buu
4) gotenks
5) Mystic Gohan

After that it's a fair game.
I wouldn't say that 17 is guaranteed, just very likely. If anything, Beerus is more of a given than 17. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if we got both in the base roster.

With how much they're referencing the anime/manga, I wouldn't expect any characters that don't actually get alot of fighting screentime to get in the game.

Meaning no Whis, no Gogeta, etc.

I wouldn't say that 17 is guaranteed, just very likely. If anything, Beerus is more of a given than 17. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if we got both in the base roster.

I think they're adding all the major players from across the DBZ arcs:

Saiyan saga: most important dude Vegeta
Namek: Frieza
Trunks/cell arc: Trunks, Cell ( now we just need the twins)
Buu saga: fat buu (mystic Gohan, gotenks and kid buu)
Z fighters: the usual suspects.

After that you can choose beerus, perhaps movies characters.. hell babidi with some keep away magic bs.

DLC: Vegetto,etc

Slaythe

Perhaps, but my experience with Dragon Ball Z fighting games that feature Android 17 and Android 18 are that they struggle to delineate between the characters, instead seeing them as two halves of a pair. So there's a lot of cross-over when it comes to movesets, such as Android 18 having an energy barrier. And yes, FighterZ is more faithful than the average Dragon Ball game, but other games have made the attempt be faithful to the series too.

My thinking is that if they both make it into the base game it'll be another situation like that, where they won't play that differently. Which is why I don't think Android 17 will make it into the base game - and why I think that could be fortunate for the character, as it gives him the opportunity to be developed in isolation from Android 18 as wholly a standalone character for DLC.

Nothing against Android 17 - that's just how I see it, trying to follow the logic that would determine roster choices.

I hear you, but I think this doesn't apply for this game.

1) 18 is a pretty boring fighter so they tend to give her 17's moves. That doesn't mean 17 is similar though, because she never did any of that in the canon, i guess in games where they desperately need to fill "super powers... ?", they run into a dead end with them, especially since 17 does not rely on ki blasts (something that would be quite unique in this game btw)

2) This game is a proper fighter. Grabs, kicks, overheads, all that matters, not just abilities, so that makes their fighting style interesting on their own (one is blunt brute force the other relies on speed and dodges), and a lot of physical attacks they have can be turned into their special moves, without those being "ki attacks" or unique powers

3) They do use the manga and anime as reference to design the entire movesets, so 17 and 18 have 0 chance to play like one another outside of maybe a common ki system, which would be interesting. The trunks special probably is the reason people think they're similar, but this OAV's depiction of them took far too many liberties. In the manga they didn't team up and 17 killed Gohan alone and easily. They weren't fighting "as one".

Alienous

Characters that are guaranteed:
1)18
2) 17
3) kid buu
4) gotenks
5) Mystic Gohan

After that it's a fair game.

You have to remember that this game was being developed when Android 17 hadn't yet stepped back into the spotlight.

I'd say 18, Kid Buu, Gotenks and Mystic Gohan are practically guaranteed.

Goku
Goku (Super Saiyan)
Goku (Super Saiyan God)
Goku (SSGSS)2
Krillin
Kid Gohan
Kid Gohan (Super Saiyan 2) (incorrectly labeled Super Saiyan in-game)
Teen Gohan (Super Saiyan)
Ultimate Gohan
Piccolo
Raditz
Nappa
Vegeta
Vegeta (Super Saiyan)
Captain Ginyu
Frieza (Final Form)
Future Trunks (Super Saiyan)
Android 18
Cell (Perfect Form)
Majin Buu
Kid Buu
Gotenks (Super Saiyan)
Beerus
Bardock
Broly (Legendary Super Saiyan)

Based on ArcSys 's last roster I'd hesitate to bet on anyone one. Broly I guess, but I'm wondering if that could become Kale last minute.

Slaythe

You have to remember that this game was being developed when Android 17 hadn't yet stepped back into the spotlight.

That's true but 17's come back, with his new design, was announced back in last November (2016).

And that was done publicly, so Bandai had heard about it beforehand (since Heroes started production of new 17 cards).

The game releases in 2018 and they need about 3 months to make a character.

That'd be a terrible decision on their end. Even if they wanted to wait for his episode, that's April 2017 , basically an entire year before the release of the game. So if they want to add a spinning kick or his new shield energy, that would take them a few weeks at most on top of the Z 17 moveset IMO.

Beautiful post, Slaythe.

Trying to show 17 has a lot that can be cool for a 2d fighter, since most people disregard melee moves in DBZ, glad you liked it !

Beerus has waaay too much going for him to miss this out.

-Space stage
-Goku and Krillin having their BoG and RoF gi respectively
-Golden Freeza being a thing
-He was in ASW's last DBZ game
-He's also just way too popular

Besides 18 and an Adult Gohan he's the only character I'd say is 100% in.

bubumiao

Early 2018 probably just means by the end of the first quarter, so they still have until the end of March. There's still a good 7+ months for them to work on it with a bigger (I think) development team. I think we're in for a real treat.

Also, with all the praise and attention this game has been getting maybe they'll decide to add more resources & features to it.

I'd say 18, Kid Buu, Gotenks and Mystic Gohan are practically guaranteed.

Based on ArcSys 's last roster I'd hesitate to bet on anyone one. Broly I guess, but I'm wondering if that could become Kale last minute.
Going by Slaythe said about the development time it should be Broly. Maybe

Quebaz

ARCsys previous DBZ game wasn't received very well: http://www.metacritic.com/game/3ds/dragon-ball-z-extreme-butoden

What went wrong?

Legitimately broken fighting game that decided to ditch special move motions of favour of long strings to perform cool attacks.

25 character roster where 6 of those are clones, but a gajillion assists that are mostly useless except a select few.

Boring story mode compared to the amazing what-if stories featured in their previous Supersonic Warriors games.

It was a cookie-cutter, the DS Japan only Ultimate Butouden was miles better, although this one had a killer soundtrack

Takeru

New scan translation about Trunks and the online mode at ShonenGameZ's website

Edit:

Removed link didn't know I couldn't post this

Top Bottom