• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball FighterZ - Characters, Specials, and Stages Discussion

Sami+

I don't think Goku and Vegeta blue are stealing spots.

More like bonus because they needed less time to be completed.

Yeah. It's a complaint that comes up all the time and doesn't go away despite not really making sense. Like, no, we're not missing out on Geno because Dr. Mario and Dark Pit took up roster slots.

cordy

Banned
The fact some people say Krillin can get cut is asinine, geez.

A great amount of these lists aren't predictions lists, they're wish lists. That's 2 different things.
Do we really need more than 5 Super characters tho?

Goku Black
Caoliflouwer
Hit
Zamasu
Beerus

Do we need anybody else?

We can easily save Black, female Saiyan 1, Hit and Zamasu for DLC Pack 1 too. The DLC would bridge "FighterZ" with it's sequel "Super Dragonball FighterZ" which focuses on Super.

Really feels like people's love for Super is so high they want to cut out a great amount of Z characters.

Mugy

Well yeah count me on Toppo too. But Merged Zamasu its more likely to be a boss IMO

Super DLC PACK should be something like:

Goku Black
Hit
Toppo
Calioflower
Beerus

DLC OVA PACK:

Broly
Janemba
Cooler
Bardock SSJ
Bojack?

dunno. Those two dlc sound good to me

You gotta consider the casual spectator audience for the e-sports side of this game. Having too many variants of the same character would be confusing to them.
What lol.

People don't seem to have trouble differentiating between Evil Ryu or Ryu. Same for Hisako and Shin Hisako.

As long as the movesets are at least 40% different, people aren't gonna have a problem following it.

Mugy

Saiyans should drop their normal mode and just start as super saiyans as the game is doing it. Goku should jump from SSJ to SS3J to Blue. Or maybe dropping SS3J or being only a aesthetic change for a super, while being Blue its simialr to Golden Frieza state.

At this point Goku not being Blue its just a wasted

Alienous

We can easily save Black, female Saiyan 1, Hit and Zamasu for DLC Pack 1 too. The DLC would bridge "FighterZ" with it's sequel "Super Dragonball FighterZ" which focuses on Super.

Really feels like people's love for Super is so high they want to cut out a great amount of Z characters.

Bandai Namco wouldn't take the risk that people don't care about lacking Super characters in FighterZ. Xenoverse 2 was a success thanks in no small part to its advertised Super content - look at the YouTube views for those announcements.

They'll want to capitalize on Super's popularity and 'DLC Pack 1 will be Super characters from a year ago' wouldn't cut it. They'll stay up to date with the latest of Dragon Ball, like they have with Extreme Butoden and Xenoverse, and the latest at the time of the bulk of the development of this game would have been characters like Hit and Black.

Sami+

Goku Black would be such a shitty pick. I think both him and Zamasu kind of suck but that bias aside having Goku, Blue Goku, and Goku Black (and maybe even Bardock?) all on the same roster would be so dumb looking. Merged Zamasu if they want to cover that arc.

I-hate-u

What lol.

People don't seem to have trouble differentiating between Evil Ryu or Ryu. Same for Hisako and Shin Hisako.

As long as the movesets are at least 40% different, people aren't gonna have a problem following it.

Evil Ryu (and Oni) are the only 2 of his kind in a 40ish roster. That's fine. But having 4-5 variants in a 20ish roster is too much to watch imo..

If they do Super characters there's no way Black doesn't make the cut, he's way too popular

I am fine with Black. But again, having Black and Merged Zamasu (which you gotta have in there) seems a bit redundant to me.

LotusHD

Banned
Goku Black would be such a shitty pick. I think both him and Zamasu kind of suck but that bias aside having Goku, Blue Goku, and Goku Black (and maybe even Bardock?) all on the same roster would be so dumb looking. Merged Zamasu if they want to cover that arc.

There's no way Merged Zamasu would make it in before Goku Black.

Mugy

Well, Goku Black its essentially Zamasu with a Black Kameha. Use Super saiyan Rose Goku Black with his rose sword and fighting style and we are pretty much cover covering both Zamasu and Goku Black at the same time.

Now, having Goku, Goku Black, Bardock, Goku SSB, and that shitty Goku "what if " from the World Three OVA, that would be, indeed, a waste.

And we also need at least one fusion. Im fine with Gotenks, Gogeta or Vegetto.

cordy

Banned
Bandai Namco wouldn't take the risk that people don't care about lacking Super characters in FighterZ. Xenoverse 2 was a success thanks in no small part to its advertised Super content - look at the YouTube views for those announcements.

They'll want to capitalize on Super's popularity and 'DLC Pack 1 will be Super characters from a year ago' wouldn't cut it. They'll stay up to date with the latest of Dragon Ball, like they have with Extreme Butoden and Xenoverse, and the latest at the time of the bulk of the development of this game would have been characters like Hit and Black.

Nah, I'm still keeping the same stance as I've been saying. I highly doubt they're going to include Hit, Black, Zamasu and other Super characters in the base game if the roster's 20 characters. Maybe if it's 24 but potentially 20? Nah. They'll just save those for DLC regardless. They'd make bank turning those characters into DLC characters given it's a smaller roster rather than putting them in the base game and having the DLC pack be Super characters as well given Super sells DLC more than Z. We can't be turning this into a mostly Super game from a base game and DLC game purely because Super's in right now. You've got the DLC and sequels for that.

If the roster's 20 characters there's certain characters who will get priority compared to a Hit and Black purely given the size of Z's roster. That's common sense.

Sephzilla

Haven't watched the show properly yet. But from what I've seen he just seems like an evil goku clone with some pink mixed in?

He's got a few pretty unique moves.

[DB Super spoilers]
Goku Black is a different person who stole Goku's body, so that person applies their fighting style to Goku's body instead of using Goku's fighting style.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
What lol.

Yeah but you gotta consider those games are 1v1.

This game is 3v3 and will launch with a small roster.

Sami+

We should just put Goku (Ginyu) in while we're at it since that's basically the same concept am I right

(10% of the roster shouldn't be "Goku and guys that look like Goku" when it's gonna be this small)

Slaythe

Hey mobile users....

SM96caR.gif

Sami+

Or you know look for the guy with pink hair and a ki energy sword. Really don't Black would be too difficult to differentiate from Goku.

I can't wait to explain this all to my casual friends

"Ok so Super Saiyan Goku is DBZ Goku, but Super Saiyan Blue Goku is the version of him from Super"
"Oh I get it, so what about Super Saiyan Pink Goku"
"No that's Goku Black who is very different"

There's a reason they don't have Ryu, Evil Ryu, Blue Ryu, and Ryu's Dad all in the same game, I assume

Gbraga

So, it's pretty much guaranteed that this will have mods replacing the music with the ones from the anime, right? I'm messing around with Xrd to get used to Arc's style, especially on pad, but I kind of hate the music.

Game looks incredible, though, and it's a blast to play, at least the combo trials, didn't get into an actual match yet.

I can't wait to explain this all to my casual friends

"Ok so Super Saiyan Goku is DBZ Goku, but Super Saiyan Blue Goku is the version of him from Super"
"Oh I get it, so what about Super Saiyan Pink Goku"
"No that's Goku Black who is very different"

There's a reason they don't have Ryu, Evil Ryu, Blue Ryu, and Ryu's Dad all in the same game, I assume
Your casual friends can learn the characters, it's not as complicated as you are trying to make it out to be. Evil versions of characters are pretty normal in many fighting games, I do agree that Super Saiyan Blue Goku shouldn't be a separate character but a transformation.

There's no way Beerus isn't in, he'd make the perfect final boss. And since Golden Frieza is a thing no other character would be a bigger threat to him.

Gbraga

There's no way Beerus isn't in, he'd make the perfect final boss. And since Golden Frieza is a thing no other character would be a bigger threat to him.

Beerus absolutely must be in. I never watched Super or the recent movies, and I already see him as an iconic Dragon Ball character. Really striking design and personality, from what I've seen. I'd have him in my team for sure.

Balfour

I'm locking in my roster bet

1. SSJ Goku
2. SSJ Vegeta
3. SSJ2 Kid Gohan
4. Ultimate Gohan
5. Krillin
6. Piccolo
7. Tien
8. Frieza/Golden
9. 18
10. 17
12. Cell
13. Majin Buu
14. Kid Buu
14. Broly
15. Beerus
16. Mr. Satan
17. SSJ Future Trunks
18. SSJ Gotenks
19. Vegito

Its not a full 21-24 roster (i think there will be 21) but the rest feel too sketchy for me too ad. Mr. Satan was my daredevil pick

Wild card that's never gonna happen:
Uub

DLC bet
Goku Black
Majin Vegeta

Slaythe

I mean better defined.

You're wrong though.

Yeah. 17 has displayed a large amount of attacks. 16 had done nothing prior to his fight with Cell, that lasted for one chapter. He does have cool specials but his moveset is certainly not defined.

16 landed only one punch and one kick and then the special moves (hell flame, a grab and rocket punch) on Cell, in a one chapter fight where half of it was Cell hiding.................

In the anime, since 16 was so lackluster, they expanded the fight and gave him generic flurry fists/kicks and I think eye lasers.

You might prefer it, and that's fair. (I can't tell you what to like)

But that's certainly not more defined.

Rocket punches. Hell Flash. He has a continuity of moves if you look at the games he's been in.

As I said a fighting game doesn't rely on super/special moves only, you need normals and style.

Try to describe Android 17's moves. Android 18 kicks and throws people, what makes 17's kicks and throws different? I can easily describe a rocket punch, or the Hell Flash.

Those are special moves. Can you describe how 16 punches and kicks ?

Look at those.

Dragon-Ball-FighterZ-vs-Manga-Gohan-Cell-739x384.jpg
Dragon-Ball-FighterZ-Goku-kicks-Cell-739x384.jpg
Dragon-Ball-FighterZ-vs-Manga-Goku-Freezer-739x384.jpg

They're a bunch of kicks and punches. And yet...

So now let's look at what 17 did. I'm not gonna include Super stuff.

(yes that gif is Super but I can't find the Z version, anyway it's the same ability)

Can be his super, offers defensive ability against other supers and can be used upclose for damage.

tumblr_ooikn6VJOI1w3p557o1_540.gif

He could have a Dodge command forward and backward. (a flip)
With fast recovery to allow a dash or attack right after. With the ability to cancel his homing dash into it.

giphy.gif

a5021b9a04d8b875161b91d0dbc02e1a6ce371a5_hq.gif

Counter/parry mechanic, since that would be powerful, that could replace his ki blasts entirely on the special button.

4roKd8v.gif

tumblr_o2gupkcgzf1uuj1vto1_500.gif

On top of this mechanic, give him a Rekka with low or high finisher, that could be used after a counter like this :

giphy.gif

Could be his overhead

tumblr_n669l4ccaY1tb4ryqo1_500.gif

I can go on if you want, those are mostly manga based I tried not to pick stuff made up by the anime.

It's not advised to post manga panels too much so I'll just post one in reference to show the anime wasn't inventing that.
RjKB83.jpg

If you search Dragon Ball Z game rosters I'm sure you'll find 17 absent more often than 16, and it would be for a reason.

Well, if we omit the first butoden and ultimate battle22/shin butoden(same assets), not really.

If 17 wasn't playable, 16 wasn't either.

Balfour

So, it's pretty much guaranteed that this will have mods replacing the music with the ones from the anime, right? I'm messing around with Xrd to get used to Arc's style, especially on pad, but I kind of hate the music.

Game looks incredible, though, and it's a blast to play, at least the combo trials, didn't get into an actual match yet.

The only music we have heard was the on track in the trailer. The producer said they haven't finished much of the music, but that are taking inspiration from the anime (japanese OST) for the music. I don't think it'll all be heavy guitar like Guilty Gear, which the theme is all rock

Gbraga

The only music we have heard was the on track in the trailer. The producer said they haven't finished much of the music, but that are taking inspiration from the anime (japanese OST) for the music. I don't think it'll all be heavy guitar like Guilty Gear, which the theme is all rock

Oh, ok, that sounds great!

Slaythe

Dragon Rush is Guilty Gear's Dust equivalent.

Guilty Gear has throws along with it so it's not really the same thing.

It isn't.

Dusts can be blocked, they're an overhead. The dragon rush can't be blocked. It mimics the dust animation and input but that's about it.

So it is sort of like a throw and dust because it can be tech'd.

17 vs Piccolo is one of the GOAT Dragonball fights

And it's a fight that is 90% "kicks and punches". Precisely why we need both in a fighting game.

You're wrong though.

Yeah. 17 has displayed a large amount of attacks. 16 had done nothing prior to his fight with Cell, that lasted for one chapter. He does have cool specials but his moveset is certainly not defined.

16 landed only one punch and one kick and then the special moves (hell flame, a grab and rocket punch) on Cell, in a one chapter fight where half of it was Cell hiding.................

In the anime, since 16 was so lackluster, they expanded the fight and gave him generic flurry fists/kicks and I think eye lasers.

You might prefer it, and that's fair. (I can't tell you what to like)

But that's certainly not more defined.

As I said a fighting game doesn't rely on super/special moves only, you need normals and style.

Those are special moves. Can you describe how 16 punches and kicks ?

Look at those.

Dragon-Ball-FighterZ-vs-Manga-Gohan-Cell-739x384.jpg
Dragon-Ball-FighterZ-Goku-kicks-Cell-739x384.jpg
Dragon-Ball-FighterZ-vs-Manga-Goku-Freezer-739x384.jpg

They're a bunch of kicks and punches. And yet...

So now let's look at what 17 did. I'm not gonna include Super stuff.

(yes that gif is Super but I can't find the Z version, anyway it's the same ability)

Can be his super, offers defensive ability against other supers and can be used upclose for damage.

tumblr_ooikn6VJOI1w3p557o1_540.gif

He could have a Dodge command forward and backward. (a flip)
With fast recovery to allow a dash or attack right after. With the ability to cancel his homing dash into it.

giphy.gif

a5021b9a04d8b875161b91d0dbc02e1a6ce371a5_hq.gif

Counter/parry mechanic, since that would be powerful, that could replace his ki blasts entirely on the special button.

4roKd8v.gif

tumblr_o2gupkcgzf1uuj1vto1_500.gif

On top of this mechanic, give him a Rekka with low or high finisher, that could be used after a counter like this :

giphy.gif

Could be his overhead

tumblr_n669l4ccaY1tb4ryqo1_500.gif

I can go on if you want, those are mostly manga based I tried not to pick stuff made up by the anime.

It's not advised to post manga panels too much so I'll just post one in reference to show the anime wasn't inventing that.
RjKB83.jpg

Well, if we omit the first butoden and ultimate battle22/shin butoden(same assets), not really.

If 17 wasn't playable, 16 wasn't either.

Well....gotta say that was a pretty good study.

I believe that is pretty possible for 17 to join the fray...if not now, probably would be with an DBS dlc or expansion, since he is in evidence again.

kewlmyc

This thread's going to be a bloodbath soon with all these "there's no way this alternate version of an existing character or obscure one off character isn't making the cut" posts.

I feel people are treating this like previous DBZ games that would have 100 characters that have half of them having the same moveset other than one special attack dedicated to them.

SSJ3 Goku has already been reduced to just a super. ASW is trying to make a competitive fighting game with tons of unique characters. The 6 we've seen are the most easily assessible characters in the roster according to interviews. Having 4 versions of the same character contradicts that. I could see SSJB Goku maybe having its own dedicated character, but 1/4 of the cast just being variants would be lame as hell and I have faith that ASW won't be doing that.

Fj0823

Haven't watched the show properly yet. But from what I've seen he just seems like an evil goku clone with some pink mixed in?

Far from it

He's a Supreme Kai who finds offensive that a mortal like Goku has reached God Level Powers above his own, he decides to kill all mortal life and for that he needed the highest power possible.

So he uses the Super Dragon Balls to steal Goku's body, and travels to Trunk's future because there's no Beerus to stop him there

Balfour

wonder if there will be special intros between fighters

like I want to see 17 and Piccolo just punching each other in the stomach for the intro

O4DOiH.gif

CryptiK

They probably only have 1 character variant at most. We are not getting teen Gohan, SSB Goku/Vegeta me thinks (but they could be install supers), and by the same virtue, no kid Buu. Here is what's wrong with your list.

No way we getting Bardock tho at all.
Not my list its the one from the OP.

Puruzi

Banned
It isn't.

Dusts can be blocked, they're an overhead. The dragon rush can't be blocked. It mimics the dust animation and input but that's about it.

So it is sort of like a throw and dust because it can be tech'd.

And it's a fight that is 90% "kicks and punches". Precisely why we need both in a fighting game.
Ehhh, still isn't like an actual throw though imo

Top Bottom