• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball FighterZ - Characters, Specials, and Stages Discussion

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I know I was fooling myself but I really hoped there would be no "clones" :(

hopefully they play differently enough to the normal Goku and Vegeta, but still :(

Skab

mnu3fgM.png

LordKasual

Banned
Guys, Arc System Works is no stranger to having multiple versions of characters

Blazblue has 4 versions of Noel Vermilion on its roster. Edit: SORRY there are FIVE versions of Noel now

It has 3 versions of Yuuki Terumi

2 of Jin

2 of Tsubaki

kewlmyc

because we haven't had enough of this in DB

It's a fighting game story where they need to incorporate nearly every mainish character and villain into one story. This is the best you're going to get without resorting to boring retellings of the same stories we've seen over and over again.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Guys, Arc System Works is no stranger to having multiple versions of characters

Blazblue has 4 versions of Noel Vermilion on its roster. Edit: SORRY there are FIVE versions of Noel now

It has 3 versions of Yuuki Terumi

2 of Jin

2 of Tsubaki

Much easier to do with sprites

Like, so much easier

cordy

Banned
I guess. Maybe it's just been too long since I watched DBZ, but I didn't really notice those differences. I was also deathly bored during the latter half of that arc in Super.

I think you're giving Bandai Namco marketing way too much credit. Going by your logic I would think we'd have gotten the Trunks trailer as his reveal, not the V-Jump scans, then weeks later a trailer. We still haven't even seen Piccolo and Krillin in action. In fact, after this announcement we have 13 known characters and have only seen 7 of them in action.

You could very well be right and we won't see 17 or that text in the article indicates it will be Super 17, but I just don't give Bandai Namco marketing (or maybe the Arc Sys development cycle) that much credit. I still think 17 is a lock for the base roster, but I do understand why you think otherwise.

See above for my take on that. You could be correct, but I just don't have that much faith in the dev/marketing team to be that in sync.

It is what it is but we'll see. If 17 is in the game then that's great as my original list has him included and the more the better. I hope I'm wrong so let's hope we get some resolution to this. I just wouldn't be surprise to hear them say "he's not in because we saw that 17 was returning in DBS so we've decided to skip out on him so there's only 1 version of him which uses all of his moves."

I don't see 2 17s in a future game is all but we'll see.

Speaking of which, anyone know how much DLC ASW games usually provide?

Skeeter49

What if the mysterious Goku army is what goes on in 16's head when Gero programmed 16 to kill Goku, and it's a psychological journey of the struggles 16 goes through throughout the android arc?

Like, so much easier

What's easier? He's making a joke I think

Most of those characters he's referring to in blazblue are the same character only in regards to the storyline

Within the context of the game they're completely unique characters with completely different attacks and models/sprites and names lol

Generally Arc games have never really included 'clone' characters ever really. The only example I can think of is are Nu-13 and Lambda-11. The latter of which was created to replace the former after they died in the storyline, but eventually both characters returned in sequels as variations of each other

NEO0MJ

Like, so much easier

Poster was just joking because a lot of characters in BB are technically the same person but different depending on story circumstances due to cloning, time travel shenanigans, etc. One one of them is a sprite clone similar to what we got with the Blues and only one is a heavy re-purposing of an older sprite.

Jin

Tsubaki

Terumi

Noel

I saw this posted on 4chan someone translated what it said take with a grain of salt.

Pretty much its a dude that was at the press event when they announced 16, 18, and the SSGSS characters. The press kit they were given had more characters to talk about down the line but just text details.

He lists 6 characters with the descriptions they were given which say

Ultimate Gohan: Gohan during the Buu Saga, His Girigiri Power (????) assist increases your super meter
Tien: Strong and Disciplined fighting style, copies himself with Multi-Form
Yamcha: Lovable Bandit is back, has an invincible Wolf Fang Fist
Kale: Berserk Super Saiyan, has armored attacks, gets stronger the lower life she has
Caulifla: First Super Saiyan woman, has counters and can call Cabba in.
Videl: Gohan's wife, has an attack called First Strike that can stun.

He then says the game will have 34 characters with Hidden Characters and there will be 4 DLC costumes for free during the first week.

Which are:
Farming Goku
Dark Prince Vegeta
Great Saiyaman
Tracksuit Android 18

Last sentence says Bandit Yamcha will be free for Beta players.

source http://ikura.2ch.sc/test/read.cgi/gamefight/1501760210/l50#gamefight/1501760210/583

SteelBallRun

Neo Member
Found a better translation of the leak. Only part I think is fishy are the costumes. Everything else though I think could happen, except Caulifla. I think Kale and Caulifla would be one character slot. Adult Gohan and Videl though I think are guaranteed characters.

http://i.imgur.com/etPoV8B.png

SteelBallRun

Neo Member
The leak calls Tienshinhan "the strongest human".

It's fake.

It actually doesn't say that at all, the translation just says that. The Kanji is 最強 which is Saikyo and just means best. You can translate that as Strongest though but the actual Kanji for strong is 強い. They sometimes just plain say strongest in english sometimes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHJ-sXTydLo

Leak might still be fake but its not cause of a translation, the part that looks fake is the fact that it claims the game will have costumes.

Kale and Caulifla being there makes it seem very, very fake. I really doubt the game will launch with any characters past the Future Trunks arc.
34 characters also seems a bit high.

Slaythe

For a 3v3 fighter? Even a lot of the older KoFs hit the 30 character mark

That had a lot of returning characters / coming from other games.

I also have a hard time believing both Caulifla and Kale would be in the base game and not one of them (at least) DLC.

Not to mention giving 17 the finger while going all out with the ToP characters and even giving 18 her costume seems very wrong.

SteelBallRun

Neo Member
That had a lot of returning characters / coming from other games.

Many 3v3 fighters that are built from the ground up and still managed to hit 30 characters, not all KoFs just reuse assets from the previous one. I think 30 is the right amount for 3v3 just for variety's sake. If it was less than 30 for DBFZ we would have most of the roster revealed already with still a ways to go.

Slaythe

Many 3v3 fighters that are built from the ground up and still managed to hit 30 characters, not all KoFs just reuse assets from the previous one. I think 30 is the right amount for 3v3 just for variety's sake.

Like what games ? Do they have the production values and single player stuff + online modes and lobbies like DBZ is getting ?

SteelBallRun

Neo Member
Like what games ? Do they have the production values and single player stuff + online modes and lobbies like DBZ is getting ?

Vanilla Marvel 3 instantly comes to mind, KoFXI and KoF99 as well. Pretty much I really don't think we'll be getting less than 30 for this game. They also said they were only 20% complete with just 6 characters, if taken literally then it could mean we will be getting around 30 characters on launch.

It takes longer to make a character in Arcsys' 3D style.

ArcSys has full Bandai Namco support this time around and they aren't building their shader engine from the ground up like they did with Xrd. Trunks was just announced at the end of Jun, its only Mid-August and we've gotten six more characters since him. At this rate we'll probably hit right around 30 by release.

It actually doesn't say that at all, the translation just says that. The Kanji is 最強 which is Saikyo and just means best. You can translate that as Strongest though but the actual Kanji for strong is 強い. They sometimes just plain say strongest in english sometimes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHJ-sXTydLo

Leak might still be fake but its not cause of a translation, the part that looks fake is the fact that it claims the game will have costumes.

Thanks for the clarification.

However, seriously talking, this is the least of this leak's issues.

34 characters are just way too much. MvCI will have 30 Characters at launch, and most of those are pulled directly from MvC3.

The inclusion of Caulifla and Kale is so weird since it implies they knew about ToP, which makes the absence of 17 more baffling.

Also as you said, costumes just aren't worth it.

I call bullshit. (although I wish for it to be true)

that leak smells like bs but the roster size isn't the reason

the main thing that sticks out is costumes, and not even just one, but four? lol

the roster actually makes sense given the context of the leak, if the actual roster has 34 characters i would expect all of the fighters listed to be in

i don't think kale means no broly, not now that she has a ssj form that doesn't look exactly like broly.

but yea, fake leak is fake

SteelBallRun

Neo Member
Thanks for the clarification.

However, seriously talking, this is the least of this leak's issues.

34 characters are just way too much. MvCI will have 30 Characters at launch, and most of those are pulled directly from MvC3.

The inclusion of Caulifla and Kale is so weird since it implies they knew about ToP, which makes the absence of 17 more baffling.

Also as you said, costumes just aren't worth it.

I call bullshit. (although I wish for it to be true)

34 with costumes is way too much by far. The Costumes really break it. I could see 34 if the game releases in June or July next year but realistically right around 30 is what will happen especially considering the rate we've been getting official reveals. We had 7 characters revealed in only a month and a half.

Unless if Bamco is working on the costumes separately from ArcSys, that'd be the only way I could see costumes even remotely happening on launch. I know Bamco loves pushing stupid amounts of DLC in their games, especially ones based on anime.

NotLiquid

If they're going heavy on the fan service like they've been seemingly doing for the last few months we've seen this game, then sure, I can buy it that some characters can get costumes.

Bamco are probably bankrolling this game a lot more than Guilty Gear. I can see this getting some extra treatment, especially since its clear this is going to be an aggressively competitive game in the market.

Top Bottom