• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball FighterZ - Characters, Specials, and Stages Discussion

I-hate-u

I think that's from super android 13 movie

Lol makes sense. They drew some "interesting" facial expressions.

3255709_1370549711433.34res_500_281.jpg

maks

My prediction for cast is built around story mode. I expect a Guilty Gear like story mode, based on manga, possibly starting at saiyan saga and ending at Golden Frieza. If they do an original story then throw my post out lol.

Cast will not be too obvious and needs diverse fighting mechanics since dev said the 6 revealed characters are the more standard ones. So i got Babidi, Bulma, Roshi, Nappa, Recoome in there. Another factor on cast is how sellable DLC could be while leaving room for sequel.

*Main Heroes
Goku
Vegeta
Kuririn
Piccolo
Master Roshi (Technique user like Mafuba, getting swole, etc)
Bulma (uses tech)

*Saiyan/Frieza Arc (In story you fight vegeta)
Nappa (grappler)
Recoome (grappler)
Ginyu
Frieza

*Android saga
Perfect Cell
Teen Gohan
Future Trunks (uses sword)
Mr. Satan (fun, joke attacks)

*Buu Saga (in story you fight Majin Vegeta)
Fat Buu
Babidi (uses magic and minions like dabura)
Ultimate Gohan
Gotenks
Videl (i really dont see her in but we need more females)
Kid Buu

*Movie
Beerus

So thats 22 characters with female characters, magic user, grapplers, etc for variety. If they can do 24 characters then add 17 and Dr Gero since it fits story mode. But what i really want is to start story with a Dragonball arc since that can bring even more interesting fighting techniques which ASW shines at. If its not done now then i don't see them ever doing it.

*Dragonball arc
Launch
Assassin Tao
King Piccolo
Kid Goku

My DLC prediction is basically characters they can sell but can't fit into story since that may be heavily dragonball Z based. The sequel will get remaining heroes, movie characters like bardock and broly, and the DBS tournament arc.

DLC
*Whis (magic user)
*Hit
*Goku Black
*Zamasu

chaosaeon

This is what I said in the other thread but it belongs here. We need Gohan's dark filter slow motion power blows as a move (I'm always gonna call them the Cosmic Backlash in case anyone knows that reference) But what an awesome super move/combo that'd be.
tumblr_oedjhwZ4wK1ulpmhpo1_500.gif

tumblr_odjzgfELvC1tgy4o5o1_500.gif

Sami+

Thank God no one actually watched that movie. There was certainly some bizarre animation... Terrifying.

In it's defense... Android 13's rush special in Tenkaichi 2/3 where he pummeled dudes WHILE they were flying through the air and finished them off with that Death Ball looking thing was pretty dope.

That's about it though, the movies are garbo

Neoxon

Fun Fact: Grown-Up Gohan in DBZA is actually voiced by the official English voice actor for Izuku Midoriya (My Hero Academia), Justin Briner. He also voices Cloud in Final Fantasy VII: Machinabridged, another TeamFourStar show (which has a second season in production right now). Funimation has been hiring the TFS guys quite a bit as of late.

Sephzilla

Slaythe

Yeah I can assure you that Funimation thing of hiring TFS should be cut short in the future...

For Dragon Ball anyway.

Neoxon

Yeah I can assure you that Funimation thing of hiring TFS should be cut short in the future...

For Dragon Ball anyway.
KaiserNeko & Lanipator were both in Resurrection F as minor roles, so Funimation isn't afraid to sneak them into Dragon Ball stuff. That's in addition to the TFS stuff in the Xenoverse games.

Slaythe

KaiserNeko & Lanipator were both in Resurrection F as minor roles, so Funimation isn't afraid to sneak them into Dragon Ball stuff. That's in addition to the TFS stuff in the Xenoverse games.

They also had them do voices in Kai buu. Toei caught them though thanks to a preview and told them to fuck off. They had to cut them.

Sephzilla

They also had them do voices in Kai buu. Toei caught them though thanks to a preview and told them to fuck off. They had to cut them.

Toei telling Funimation who they can and cannot hire is kind of bullshit, though.

Toei: "You guys, stop trying to make money off of our product!"
Toei: "You guys, stop trying to make a legitimate living"

Mesoian

Fun Fact: Grown-Up Gohan in DBZA is actually voiced by the official English voice actor for Izuku Midoriya (My Hero Academia), Justin Briner. He also voices Cloud in Final Fantasy VII: Machinabridged, another TeamFourStar show (which has a second season in production right now). Funimation has been hiring the TFS guys quite a bit as of late.

Funimation has a lot to thank these guys for when it comes to rekindling people's lust for DBZ in general. DBZa pretty much got every single person I know back into the series after 15 years, a feat that kai was supposed to do but failed miserably at.

Neoxon

Which brings us back to my original post of me saying "in the future".
That would suck. But at the same time, it would also limit who could voice who in DBZA (Ex: If they cast Lanipator as Toppo, he can't do Toppo in any of the DBS shorts).

Funimation has a lot to thank these guys for when it comes to rekindling people's lust for DBZ in general. DBZa pretty much got every single person I know back into the series after 15 years, a feat that kai was supposed to do but failed miserably at.
It also helps that Christopher Sabat is a huge TFS fanboy & has done a number of cameos in their shows.

Alienous

I've answered you about 17 two pages ago.

Right, I read it and forgot to reply.

I don't want to go in circles. I still think that Android 16 makes for a more interesting fighting game character. You've posted images of various punches and kicks, and they aren't very distinctive, or at least they don't seem distinctive enough to base an entire character around. If you're going for a character with a variety of punches and kicks it would appear to me that Yamcha or Videl could serve the exact same purpose. Unlike Android 17, Android 16 has moves that no other character could have.

But I'm not campaigning against Android 17's inclusion, I'm just saying that I think Android 16 makes for a much more interesting base for a fighting game character.

And finally, for that Android 16 vs. Android 17 roster competition, here are the results:

(this concerns their inclusion as playable characters, limited to fighting games).

Games where both appear:
Budokai
Budokai 2
Budokai 3
Infinite World
Burst Limit
Ultimate Butōden
Xenoverse 2
DBZ For Kinect
Bakuretsu Impact
W Bakuretsu Impact
Battle of Z
Budokai Tenkaichi
Budokai Tenkaichi 2
Budokai Tenkaichi 3
Dragon Battlers
Gekitō Tenkaichi Budōkai
Infinite World
Tenkaichi Tag Team
DBZ The Legend
Ultimate Tenkaichi
Raging Blast
Raging Blast 2
Zenkai Battle
Super Dragon Ball Z

Games where neither appear:
Shin Budokai
Shin Budokai Another Road
Arcade
Arcade V.R.V.S
Super Butōden 2
Buyū Retsuden
Super Butōden 3
Hyper Dimension
Final Bout
Extreme Butōden
Supersonic Warriors
Supersonic Warriors 2 (joint support characters, though)
Tap Battle
Ultimate Swipe

Games where only Android 16 appears
Arcade 2: Super Battle
Super Butōden
Ultimate Battle 22
Shin Butōden
Taiketsu

Games where only Android 17 appears
Xenoverse

So it looks like I'm on to something with Android 16 being the more interesting fighting game character of the two. Neither seems too popular.

Sephzilla

Why would Toei be so against having more actors in general in their show?

Toei has some screwed up priorities sometimes. I understand that they want to protect their property but TFS in general doesn't hurt them at all and there's a strong argument to be made that DBZA is part of the big resurgence of the property in the US within the last few years.

Neoxon

Toei has some screwed up priorities sometimes. I understand that they want to protect their property but TFS in general doesn't hurt them at all and there's a strong argument to be made that DBZA is part of the big resurgence of the property in the US within the last few years.
This. Funimation actually did the smart thing & realized that TFS helped keep the Dragon Ball franchise alive until Battle of Gods brought it back into the spotlight. Toei should really get their head on straight in this regard.

Ixion

This is what I said in the other thread but it belongs here. We need Gohan's dark filter slow motion power blows as a move (I'm always gonna call them the Cosmic Backlash in case anyone knows that reference) But what an awesome super move/combo that'd be.
tumblr_oedjhwZ4wK1ulpmhpo1_500.gif

tumblr_odjzgfELvC1tgy4o5o1_500.gif

On a related note, I think it would be cool to actually kill your opponents via something like a huge energy wave.

I've always thought one of the coolest aspects of DBZ is when characters are just BTFO by a huge beam to end the fight for good measure. I think it would feel really satisfying to end a match like that, where a finishing beam just shows the opponent dematerialize. And yet I've played a ton of DBZ games that are always just KOs. Let me vaporize!!!

Sephzilla

On a related note, I think it would be cool to actually kill your opponents via something like a huge energy wave.

I've always thought one of the coolest aspects of DBZ is when characters are just BTFO by a huge beam to end the fight for good measure. I think it would feel really satisfying to end a match like that, where a finishing beam just shows the opponent dematerialize. And yet I've played a ton of DBZ games that are always just KOs. Let me vaporize!!!

That would be cool and more faithful to the show but it also runs the risk of kicking up the game's ESRB rating if you can actually murder your opponents

Neoxon

Didn't the Raging Blast & Xenoverse games do this?

Slaythe

Games where only Android 16 appears
Arcade 2: Super Battle
Super Butōden
Ultimate Battle 22
Shin Butōden
Taiketsu

Games where only Android 17 appears
Xenoverse

So it looks like I'm on to something with Android 16 being the more interesting fighting game character of the two. Neither seems too popular.

I'm not sure I agree with that statement at all.

First of all, I'm gonna do us a favor and ignore taiketsu ever existed. Has as much credit as Sagas.

Shin butoden and Ub22 use the same assets so counting them as two games is dishonest when it comes down to roster (because they didn't add anybody).

So that leaves us with 3 games, that were made 20 years ago. I forgot about arcade 2, that's about it.

The most recent game, that sold millions of units, had 17 over 16.

RB did I believe. Xenoverse certainly not.

Ixion

That would be cool and more faithful to the show but it also runs the risk of kicking up the game's ESRB rating if you can actually murder your opponents

Since there would be no gore at all though, I figure it would be fine. But if just "killing" in general can affect the rating, then you might be right.

I've only played Xenoverse 2 out of those. I'm pretty sure the characters just fall to the ground.

Scotia

Banned
I'm not sure I agree with that statement at all.

First of all, I'm gonna do us a favor and ignore taiketsu ever existed. Has as much credit as Sagas.

Shin butoden and Ub22 use the same assets so counting them as two games is dishonest when it comes down to roster (because they didn't add anybody).

So that leaves us with 3 games, that were made 20 years ago. I forgot about arcade 2, that's about it.

The most recent game, that sold millions of units, had 17 over 16.

RB did I believe. Xenoverse certainly not.

"I don't like this game that doesn't support my viewpoint so I'm not even going to bother talking about it."

Come on, man.

Alright, don't worry about it. Forget the whole thing. I'm done.

Probably for the best.

Quebaz

The thing with Taiketsu is that it wasn't even done by a japanese developer or Bamco. It was all Atari and Webfoot.

Slaythe

Alright, don't worry about it. Forget the whole thing. I'm done.

Glad to hear that.

"I don't like this game that doesn't support my viewpoint so I'm not even going to bother talking about it."

Come on, man.

Probably for the best.

No ? My viewpoint is rather clear, it's been over a decade since 16 was included over 17. The most recent time one of them made it without the other, was 17 over 16, in a game that sold millions and was trying to have a compelling roster.

Sorry to focus on the modern state of the licence and not games done 15+ years ago. If we were in the same conditions as back then, 17 would have literally 0 chances to make it in.

And the reason I disregard Taiketsu entirely is

The thing with Taiketsu is that it wasn't even done by a japanese developer or Bamco. It was all Atari and Webfoot.

Bingo. Also is the worst DBZ game I ever played so I refuse to acknowledge this. On par with Sagas.

Top Bottom