• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball FighterZ - Characters, Specials, and Stages Discussion

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Gohan looks like regular SSJ too, they probably just grabbed some models and threw this together real quick.

yeah not the most inspired cover tbh, whats with the black background. Still, a DBZ game on a GI cover lol, what a time.

J4g3r

yeah not the most inspired cover tbh, whats with the black background. Still, a DBZ game on a GI cover lol, what a time.

They could have used the cover for a big character reveal, shame really.

Some pink/rosé would have gone well with the black.

Zubz

Banned
Frieza's both a silhouette & one of the main faces on the cover, so I doubt that Goku silhouette is Goku Black. But if we're seeing a destroyed city stage based on the Future Trunks arc? There's no way he's not in.

Daingurse

Broly is going to be in this game one way or another. Not sure why I see so many arguments regarding him. Broly's too popular to exclude, and he will probably be DLC at the very least. I enjoy playing Broly in games. He has a very visceral fighting style. Nobody manhandles people quite like Broly.

Broly rocks.

4944473-3680719051-q7wt2.gif

Zubz

Banned
Broly rocks.

4944473-3680719051-q7wt2.gif

If he wasn't such a poorly-written character, I'd actually like him. He's like if the Hulk could go Super Saiyan.

That's probably why I like Kale so much. She's like Broly but with a backstory that doesn't suck, & is powered by anxiety, self-doubt, & jealousy rather than a hypno-crown & inability to forgive a crying baby.

On the topic of this game? Broly's inevitable. People may not like him, & he may officially be non-canon, but he's still one of the series' most well-known & well-loved characters. If he's not part of the base roster, he's going to be Day 1 DLC ala Goro or Darkseid.

Sephzilla

Broly is cool in the sense that when he does Hulk out and basically turns into an uncontrollable chaotic monster, it's pretty fucking epic. But Broly has no interesting backstory or normal form to contrast the monster.

Daingurse

Except that one character that does ;D

Haha, touché. Don't think we'll see Kale in this game though, unfortunately

Broly is cool in the sense that when he does Hulk out and basically turns into an uncontrollable chaotic monster, it's pretty fucking epic. But Broly has no interesting backstory or normal form to contrast the monster.

This all makes him very well suited to a fighting game roster, where none of Broly's narrative weaknesses really matter, and all his character strengths are very prominent.

Yeah, I hate Broly personally, but his potential as a fighting game character is through the roof. Especially in a series that lacks a lot of iconic Big Body/Grappler type characters.

N7.Angel

Talking about narrative weakness for Broly while loving this typical generic Japanese female character cry baby that is kale is laughable.

"Don't touch Onee-san T_T " "I don't want to be a bother onee-san T_T " "onee-san help me T_T " what a backstory, what a clever writing, the depth of this character is over the roof...

LotusHD

Banned
Maybe it helps if you see it as "Damn, if people like Kale, then they must really have a low opinion of Broly..."

Which I do.

Neoxon

Yeah, I hate Broly personally, but his potential as a fighting game character is through the roof. Especially in a series that lacks a lot of iconic Big Body/Grappler type characters.
We already have 16 and we could have Nappa & Toppo (Toppo is likely too recent for the base roster, but still). I do think we'll get Broly at some point (my gut's been saying DLC for a while, but it could really go either way), but we have quite a few potential big characters.

Daingurse

Talking about narrative weakness for Broly while loving this typical generic Japanese female character cry baby that is kale is laughable.

"Don't touch Onee-san T_T " "I don't want to be a bother onee-san T_T " "onee-san help me T_T " what a backstory, what a clever writing, the depth of this character is over the roof...

Still better than Broly. Broly's origin is absolutely absurd. In-fact it's so ridiculous, that it's actually a component of why I like him.

Sephzilla

TeamFourStar's take on Broly is so incredibly on point. Broly is so fucking cool looking but the moment you stop and think about Broly at all you realize everything about him is so incredibly fucking stupid, even in the context of DragonBall which is loaded with pretty flat characters.

Village

TeamFourStar's take on Broly is so incredibly on point. Broly is so fucking cool looking but the moment you stop and think about Broly at all you realize everything about him is so incredibly fucking stupid, even in the context of DragonBall which is loaded with pretty flat characters.

Eh, everyone knows broly is stupid

Everyone knows dragonball is stupid

People still like it. Its almost as if people can like dumb shit because its dumb. He' s a slasher villlian in DBZ, its silly and fun and people like because its silly fun and cool

N7.Angel

Still better than Broly. Broly's origin is absolutely absurd. In-fact it's so ridiculous, that it's actually a component of why I like him.

No it's not better, not even close, she's annoying and used the same moveset as Broly ( with a worst animation and scale power ) she has no personality, nothing, she's just Caulifla dog.

Tell me what's ridiculous about his birth ? don't get this part.

Anyway, I'm not sure I like the new Dragon ball mechanic in the game, we need some footage to see how it fit in the game,

LotusHD

Banned
Eh, everyone knows broly is stupid

Everyone knows dragonball is stupid

People still like it. Its almost as if people can like dumb shit because its dumb. He' s a slasher villlian in DBZ, its silly and fun and people like because its silly fun and cool

Y'all are more than free to like Broly, but some of y'all need to stop acting so offended that not everyone does, or that they like Kale more

Daingurse

No it's not better, not even close, she's annoying and used the same moveset as Broly ( with a worst animation and scale power ) she has no personality, nothing, she's just Caulifla dog.

Tell me what's ridiculous about his birth ? don't get this part.

Anyway, I'm not sure I like the new Dragon ball mechanic in the game, we need some footage to see how it fit in the game,

Broly is a mad dog who was traumatized by a baby crying. That's honestly pretty bizarre. Kale is a more rounded character, who I can actually relate to on some level as a person with emotional issues of my own. I can't relate to Broly on any level, because I'm not that psychotic. He's a fun character who I like to see destroy people, but I feel Kale has far more potential as an actual character.

TreIII

...How are we already deriding a mechanic that has yet to be fully unveiled, and are just getting scant details about?

I mean, goodness!

N7.Angel

Broly is a mad dog who was traumatized by a baby crying. That's honestly pretty bizarre. Kale is a more rounded character, who I can actually relate to on some level as a person with emotional issues of my own. I can't relate to Broly on any level, because I'm not that psychotic. He's a fun character who I like to see destroy people, but I feel Kale has far more potential as an actual character.

That's not entirely true, He hates Goku because he associates his crying with him being stabbed but he always was a little fucked up, it's some kind of PTSD thing I guess, it's ok if you're relating with Kale, I can understand why you like her if it's the case but I'm almost never relating with fictional character so it's difficult for me to past her "flaws", I really like her design and her second form though, pretty bad ass.

...How are we already deriding a mechanic that has yet to be fully unveiled, and are just getting scant details about?

I mean, goodness!

We need to see more of it but it looks unbalanced to me.

We already have 16 and we could have Nappa & Toppo (Toppo is likely too recent for the base roster, but still). I do think we'll get Broly at some point (my gut's been saying DLC for a while, but it could really go either way), but we have quite a few potential big characters.

16 def fills the spot perfectly, but I'm hoping we at least get two or three grapple styled characters so we have at least enough for a whole team for people who like those type of characters.

RRockman

Banned
This Broly hate is really dissapointing. He was the best oval antagonist, right behind Janemba. I wish super's villians had cool effects for their powers like these two. Haven't seen anything come close to being as unique visually yet.

Village

No they fucking don't. Saying this everytime someone mentions Broly doesn't make it true.
I mean its not its an assumption on anecdotal evidence.

From what i've seen most of the people i've encountered who like broly... kind of think he's silly. But he's cool, but he's silly.

NOW WE'RE TALKING!

So we need a kaiju based wrestling game on the aki engine.

Y'all are more than free to like Broly, but some of y'all need to stop acting so offended that not everyone does, or that they like Kale more

huh , i'm not offended. I was just took the " then you realize " statement like well then you stop liking it. I'm suggesting there quite a few folks like me, who like dumb shit and like broly and dbz in general knowing its silly.

Rutger

Banned
Broly is going to be in this game one way or another. Not sure why I see so many arguments regarding him. Broly's too popular to exclude, and he will probably be DLC at the very least. I enjoy playing Broly in games. He has a very visceral fighting style. Nobody manhandles people quite like Broly.

It took Baiken three games to return to GG, and Bridget still isn't back.
The P3 main character never made it to a Persona game

Broly's popularity is a point in his favor, but not a guarantee.

Daingurse

Broly just ain't the character that I would be betting against. Like, at all. I think his inclusion is inevitable.

TreIII

True, but let's face it: Broly is one of those characters who's had perfect attendance in Dragon Ball games in the last decade or so.

Function-wise and popularity-wise, there's really no reason to think he won't be here.

I'd bet against Bardock (the other guy who's had perfect attendance), before I'd so Broly.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Broly is an auto include, he hits every base for a game like this. Not gonna have devs skip over a big bodied brawler in a series lacking them, his popularity is just icing on the cake.

Top Bottom