• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Super |OT3| Men in pink? How bizarre!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Rewatching the Android/Cell arc. I love that I can watch it over and over and still be gripped by the story. Sure, nostalgia is a part of it but it's still the height of the series in my opinion.

I-hate-u

Rewatching the Android/Cell arc. I love that I can watch it over and over and still be gripped by the story. Sure, nostalgia is a part of it but it's still the height of the series in my opinion.

It helps that it has 2 of the best episodes in the series.

cIG86oY.gif

tumblr_o1prvnqHjf1t3lkheo1_500.gif

It was the culmination of everything from DB (Red Ribbon revenge), and finally realizing Gohan's potential. If the series ended there it would have been perfect. (Buu arc is still great though).

Ishida

Banned

That's certainly the highest point in all of DBZ. Android Saga is my favorite.

Yup will always be the ceiling of the series for me great arc all around alil goten added would make it even better but eh Goat wasn't born yet

Also a big fan of the HBTC episodes

tumblr_nz8xgn10G61v13p9zo1_500.gif

I-hate-u

I am no artist, but the washed out coloring method or whatever they used in DBZ is fantastic. Some of the scenes in the DBZ movies are still flat out gorgeous, despite being 2 decades old.

Skeeter49

I love the Android/ Cell saga. I also enjoy that people still manage to be relevant. Tien holding off Cell, Piccolo keeping up with Dr. Gero, Cell and 17. Krillin doing very little was the biggest shame though.

And I wish Vegeta had a better showing when Future Trunks got killed. I actually wish Vegeta would had bulked up when Trunks was killed. Gohan going SSJ2 was such a great moment though.

I have to ask, what the hell did goten ever do to make you or anyone like him? I am aghast trying to find a reason.
The way he was introduced into the story I thought was really well done. Him having the child like nature of his father was awesome to me along with the fact at first it seemed like chichi wasn't going to shove studying down his throat as she seemed to be the one training him since the father wasn't around. There's the episodes with him and gohan training and I absolutely loved the kid throughout the entire thing him just going super Saiyan on his big bro was a funny and awesome moment to me as well being such a powerful kid at a young age with barely any training(let's say compared to gohan who had it pretty rough growing up) yet the boy couldn't fly hilarious. Than there's the snide comments gohan makes about him possibly being stronger than anyone(I mean stuff like that would get anyone hype because a writer foreshadowing something that you would think something would come of it. I could go on but in general I just like the character.

Anth0ny

cIG86oY.gif

It was the culmination of everything from DB (Red Ribbon revenge), and finally realizing Gohan's potential. If the series ended there it would have been perfect. (Buu arc is still great though).

You know what else is great about the GOAT arc?

Insert Songs

Insert Songs

And more insert songs

would it kill them to make a cool, vocal insert song for dragon ball super? sell some cds? no?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

The absolute truth. Those scenes still give me chills.

Yup will always be the ceiling of the series for me great arc all around alil goten added would make it even better but eh Goat wasn't born yet

Also a big fan of the HBTC episodes

Yeah, those scenes are great even if some of them are filler. Got that cool scene of Gohan achieving SSJ in there and some decent father/son moments after so long.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I am no artist, but the washed out coloring method or whatever they used in DBZ is fantastic. Some of the scenes in the DBZ movies are still flat out gorgeous, despite being 2 decades old.

The art direction for the original series was fantastic. I really don't like the glossy look of modern DB at all.

I love the Android/ Cell saga. I also enjoy that people still manage to be relevant. Tien holding off Cell, Piccolo keeping up with Dr. Gero, Cell and 17. Krillin doing very little was the biggest shame though.

And I wish Vegeta had a better showing when Future Trunks got killed. I actually wish Vegeta would had bulked up when Trunks was killed. Gohan going SSJ2 was such a great moment though.

Yep. People keep saying that a bunch of DB characters went away but they were still in the picture through the Android/Cell arc even if they weren't the absolute focus. Loved it.

You know what else is great about the GOAT arc?

Insert Songs

Insert Songs

And more insert songs

would it kill them to make a cool, vocal insert song for dragon ball super? sell some cds? no?

I didn't experience Unmei no Hi until years later but it's still the best. The Funimation dub really butchered the music in that scene...

The way he was introduced into the story I thought was really well done. Him having the child like nature of his father was awesome to me along with the fact at first it seemed like chichi wasn't going to shove studying down his throat as she seemed to be the one training him since the father wasn't around. There's the episodes with him and gohan training and I absolutely loved the kid throughout the entire thing him just going super Saiyan on his big bro was a funny and awesome moment to me as well being such a powerful kid at a young age with barely any training(let's say compared to gohan who had it pretty rough growing up) yet the boy couldn't fly hilarious. Than there's the snide comments gohan makes about him possibly being stronger than anyone(I mean stuff like that would get anyone hype because a writer foreshadowing something that you would think something would come of it. I could go on but in general I just like the character.

I have hang ups about good guys who get everything handed to them. Bad guys can be spoiled and get god tier strength for no effort, thats cool, but good guys like that seeriously rub me the wrong way. I think its the superman thing.
Also doesn't help Goten is basically milhouse to Trunks' Bart.

The absolute truth. Those scenes still give me chills.

Yeah, those scenes are great even if some of them are filler. Got that cool scene of Gohan achieving SSJ in there and some decent father/son moments after so long.
You know I never read that arc in manga form so I have no idea what's filler or not I should give it a read
I have hang ups about good guys who get everything handed to them. Bad guys can be spoiled and get god tier strength for no effort, thats cool, but good guys like that seeriously rub me the wrong way. I think its the superman thing.
Also doesn't help Goten is basically milhouse to Trunks' Bart.
Was it really handed too him? It's no different from gohan having heavy potential as a child or sitting down for hours getting a powerup. Or even now with lil baby pan

Was it really handed too him? It's no different from gohan having heavy potential as a child or sitting down for hours getting a powerup. Or even now with lil baby pan

Buu saga gohan is also not beloved by me, and that power up is the lamest thing in dbz in my opinion.
But Pan's situation is silly enough I do find it funny.

Skeeter49

Piccolo should go to New Namek, fuse with all the Namekians, go to the Future Timeline, go to Future New Namek, wish back Future Piccolo/ Kami, fuse with all the Future Namekians, and then fuse with Future Piccolo and Kami, and then bullshit a fusion with Perfect Cell, since cell's part Namekian.

The best thing about the Piccolo vs. 17 fight is it's probably the closest they've gotten with 2 people being matched in strength, 17 wasn't stronger than Piccolo, and Piccolo wasn't stronger than 17, significantly anyway.

Android Saga had this fight therefore it wins instantly.

What a dogfight that was. I use to think the fact the fight was disrupted and never finished was a disgrace back in the day, but now I realize it gives the fight even more coolness.

Piccolo should go to New Namek, fuse with all the Namekians, go to the Future Timeline, go to Future New Namek, wish back Future Piccolo/ Kami, fuse with all the Future Namekians, and then fuse with Future Piccolo and Kami, and then bullshit a fusion with Perfect Cell, since cell's part Namekian.

The best thing about the Piccolo vs. 17 fight is it's probably the closest they've gotten with 2 people being matched in strength, 17 wasn't stronger than Piccolo, and Piccolo wasn't stronger than 17, significantly anyway.

I always thought, they could bullshit a power up, where they figure out the original Namekian piccolo and kami were was much more powerful, so he/they separate from Nail to achieve it.
And, badum, Piccolo gets huge boost in strength... But also a heel turn!

Zalman

Buu Saga is still my favorite. I love how so many of the characters had important moments. Cell Saga is cool, but don't think it really gets going until the Cell Games.

Moaradin

Android Saga had this fight therefore it wins instantly.

8c7e74bcf9a5556748d7b5da173c294f4d26b9fa_hq.gif

a3fVXW.gif

tumblr_o2gupkcgzf1uuj1vto1_500.gif

tumblr_n0711hPGWu1qdie0jo1_400.gif

O4DOiH.gif

This episode aired recently on Toonami and it didn't really hold up imo. The rare hand to hand stuff that you don't see often in the flood of beam spam that is DBZ was pretty nice, but outside of that it wasn't as cool as I remember it.

mileS

Piccolo vs. 17 is one of the best fights in the series.

Just finished the manga for the first time and yea even in that it was hands down one of my favorite fights/ power ups. Going straight through Frieza and Cell in the manga was a treat for the first time. That Goku and Gohan kamehameha to finish off Cell page is probably the GOAT for me. Had to take a photo and make it my phone wallpaper right away.

Slaythe

This episode aired recently on Toonami and it didn't really hold up imo. The rare hand to hand stuff that you don't see often in the flood of beam spam that is DBZ was pretty nice, but outside of that it wasn't as cool as I remember it.

Which version, Kai or Z ?

olympia

and yeah the glossy art sucks but this is hella sick imo

UxMvpDB.jpg

there are some things I can appreciate about the new style. The background paintings are nice

Vex_

Banned

cIG86oY.gif

This gif makes me so mad for some reason. I think it is his slightly cocky-wannabe-badass facial expression. Wow. I'm so pissed.

Skeeter49

I liked the Buu saga when it was focused on the new generation taking over, but then it went back to Goku and Vegeta saving the day, which I still enjoyed, but it really took the arc down a peg when they went back on a lot of that buildup.

I know SSJ3 gets a lot of hate, but I do like it, that it's an unnatural powerup, that was achieved when dead, so there's always a consequence to using it, whether it was draining Goku's time on earth, or draining all of his energy pretty fast after the fights starts.

The best thing to come out of the Gohan Buu/ Kid Buu bits is Vegeta, he really gets a lot of development, but I don't think Vegeta getting that extra development was worth them ignoring Gohan, Goten, and Trunks, who should have been saved instead of Satan and Dende, Satan had his development with Buu, and Dende was useless.

Zalman

I liked the Buu saga when it was focused on the new generation taking over, but then it went back to Goku and Vegeta saving the day, which I still enjoyed, but it really took the arc down a peg when they went back on a lot of that buildup.

I know SSJ3 gets a lot of hate, but I do like it, that it's an unnatural powerup, that was achieved when dead, so there's always a consequence to using it, whether it was draining Goku's time on earth, or draining all of his energy pretty fast after the fights starts.

The best thing to come out of the Gohan Buu/ Kid Buu bits is Vegeta, he really gets a lot of development, but I don't think Vegeta getting that extra development was worth them ignoring Gohan, Goten, and Trunks, who should have been saved instead of Satan and Dende, Satan had his development with Buu, and Dende was useless.
I think the Buu Saga was important to solidify Vegeta's character development. At the same time, I think it explored Goku and Vegeta's relationship in a way that hadn't been previously done in the series. As the final arc for the series, I don't mind the second half of the Buu Saga focusing on them. I think Gohan, Goten and Trunks had plenty of time to shine, which is another reason why I love the saga. Even Piccolo felt important at times even if he didn't really fight.

Have to say, I'm the opposite. Gohan as an adult had to be the biggest disappointment ever. And the only reason I was rooting for his lame return was cause the only alternate was the shit kids saving the world.
I would have rooted for Buu to just kill everything, if only he wasn't also terrible.

Kid Buu, and veggie and goku having to fight him alone is the my only saving grace of the Buu saga.
Also, i love kid buu as a villain, cause he is metaphorically the 'real' evil goku. A child prodigy with unbelievable potential and power, but also a simpleness and earnest love of fighting. The meaning of him fighting anyone but goku would have been lost.

Skeeter49

I think the Buu Saga was important to solidify Vegeta's character development. At the same time, I think it explored Goku and Vegeta's relationship in a way that hadn't been previously done in the series. As the final arc for the series, I don't mind the second half of the Buu Saga focusing on them. I think Gohan, Goten and Trunks had plenty of time to shine, which is another reason why I love the saga. Even Piccolo felt important at times even if he didn't really fight.

I really like the Buu's with Piccolo in him, was nice to see intelligent Buu for a bit, and Piccolo taking on that mentor role, and being able to get Super Buu to keep his cool for a short time.gave Piccolo some big moments.

Vegeta sacrificing himself to Buu, putting his pride aside to fuse with Goku, accepting that Goku is stronger, and trying to tolerate everyone when communicating about the Spirit Bomb, were some of his best character moments.

I agree 100% that complete 180 it still pisses me off to this very day

Zalman

I really like the Buu's with Piccolo in him, was nice to see intelligent Buu for a bit, and Piccolo taking on that mentor role, and being able to get Super Buu to keep his cool for a short time.gave Piccolo some big moments.

Vegeta sacrificing himself to Buu, putting his pride aside to fuse with Goku, accepting that Goku is stronger, and trying to tolerate everyone when communicating about the Spirit Bomb, were some of his best character moments.
Agreed. Vegeta was the star of the Buu saga. I think that's why I like it so much.

I think it's also the peak of Goku's personality. He's caring and takes things very seriously while still having his silly moments. He feels completely different in both GT and Super.

You and me both, son. It's a big reason why I rarely rewatch that part of the series. I usually stop at the end of the Cell Games... my heart can't take it.
I'm gonna build up these young ones kill of two of the most powerful characters in the series so they have the drive to move forward and protect earth in their place..but wait shit people like goku...ehhh I'll just have all three of them get a few good hits and lose Nd than goku comes back and saves the day..why not throw Vegeta fans a bone too bring him back alive

People who get free easy powerups aren't allowed to save the day

Gohan sitting on his ass
Trunks and Goten doing a dance
Goku standing in the circle while everyone holds hands

nah breh, no Ws for any of them.

I think it's also the peak of Goku's personality. He's caring and takes things very seriously while still having his silly moments. He feels completely different in both GT and Super.

Now that I agree with. I must admit, I'm not the biggest goku fan, but he was kinda mesmerizing in the Buu saga. It's the saga that made me like him as a character.

Gohan sitting on his ass

The way it should be , lol.
Course, in dbz you can do all the hard stuff the hardest way and still take a giant L anyway[Tien ]

I-hate-u

Gohan sitting on his ass

How do you explain Goku killing King Piccolo then?
Unless you are in the camp that it was a zenkai boost, and super sacred water is fake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom