• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball: Xenoverse |OT| Yes, They're Still Making These

lNdSNwr.png

Platforms:
Playstation 3 & 4
Xbox 360 & One
Steam

Framerate & Resolutions:
PS4/X1 - 1080/30
PC - 4K/60 with Nvidia 3D support.

Release Dates:
Japan: February 5th
North America: February 24th
Europe: Feruary 27th
Steam: February 27th

Developer: Dimps
Publisher: Bandai Namco Games

Steam Group(s):
Dragon Ball GAF Xenoverse - Operated by Teknoman

Roster:
Goku: Regular, Super Saiyan, Super Saiyan 2, Super Saiyan 3
Goku: Super Saiyan 4
Goku: Super Saiyan God
Kid Gohan
Teen Gohan: Super Saiyan, Super Saiyan 2
Adult Gohan: Regular, Super Saiyan, Ultimate
Krillin
Piccolo
Yamcha
Tien
Vegeta: Regular, Super Vegeta, Super Vegeta 2
Kid Trunks: Regular, Super Saiyan
Future Trunks: Regular, Super Saiyan
Goten: Regular, Super Saiyan
Mr. Satan
Great Saiyaman
Videl
Gotenks: Regular, Super Saiyan, Super Saiyan 3
Vegetto: Regular, Super Saiyan
Gogeta: Super Saiyan 4
Raditz
Nappa
Saibamen
Freeza: First Form
Freeza: Final Form
Freeza: Final Form 100%
Ginyu
Recoome
Guldo
Burter
Jeice
Appule
Raspberry
Cell: Complete
Cell: Complete Form 100%
Cell Jr.
Android 17
Android 18
Majin Buu
Super Buu
Kid Buu
Birus
Whis
Bardock: Regular, Super Saiyan
Omega Shenron
Super 17
Broly: Legendary Super Saiyan

Character Creation:
Five Races: Human, Saiyan, Buu, Freeza's Race and Namekian

All races have access to Kaioken, Kaioken x3 and Kaioken x20. Saiyan's uniquely can use Super Saiyan transformations 1 and 2 although it has been rumoured that Super Saiyan 3 will be available as well it is unclear as of the writing of this if it's true. Kaioken also accounts for a 'Super' slot whereas Super Saiyan is an 'Ultimate'. Both forms are non-permanent and act as momentary stat boosts before locking out your stamina for a certain time, stopping you from evading or dodging attacks after it's use. Despite this Super Saiyan does offer unlimited ki (used for super and ultimate attacks) whilst activated.

Throughout the course of your character's journey you will be able to find and equip over 400 different items of clothing and accessories from throughout the series and some created specifically for this game (mostly relating to Freeza's race) and also collect over 200 different skills to equip and use in battle.

The Story, Briefly:
The history of Dragon Ball is being altered by Towa, Mira and their boss Demigra who are systematically going through the timeline and changing events. Because of this Trunks, alongside the Supreme Kai of Time make a wish to Shenron for a warrior strong enough to help them right the timeline.

Battle System and Gameplay:

Great resource for in-depth information

Preorder DLC:

Season Pass:

$25/£20/€25
DLC Pack 1 (Available in March 2015)
3 playable characters: GT Goku, Pan & GT Trunks
4 Time Patrol quests
12 Quests
15 Special Moves for the players’ avatars
5 costumes
DLC Pack 2
Exclusive Playable Characters
Quests
Special moves
Costumes
DLC Pack 3
Turtle Hermit set (sunglasses, Turtle Hermit’s Shell, Turtle Hermit’s Beard, Turtle Hermit’s Aloha Shirt)
Jaco the Space Patroller playable character
More highly exclusive content

Videos:
Latest Trailer: 7 Minutes Long
Beta Character Creation (Saiyan & Namekian)

Thanks to ShonenGamez for the website translations

I'm guessing SSJ4Vegeta will become available as paid DLC at a later date if people miss out on the "preorder bonus" like Vegito was for Battle of Z.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I haven't bought one of these since Budokai 3, but this one has definitely got my interest. Looking forward to some impressions of the full game.

Welfare

Where the hell is Frieza forms 2 and 3? WTF

Can't wait to play the story mode and use the character customization.

Korezo

Idk if I should get this or 1886, but adding quests and loot rewards make makes games100 times better for me especially since I use to be a dbz fan and havent bought or played one since budokai 3.

Revven

OP roster is missing Videl. But I guess it doesn't matter because we'll know the full roster within the next 24 hours.

In the meantime, there are already Japanese players streaming the game:

www.twitch.tv/def_ender
www.twitch.tv/hayahide_
www.twitch.tv/Monkey_hk
www.twitch.tv/Yii8086
www.twitch.tv/fuji3san

Most seem to be doing parallel quests, though and not the story mode... (which is how you unlock characters). Also don't expect them to be masters at the game either lol (so we won't even see many combos yet).

Mendrox

Roster sucks. DLC characters suck. I want the old style back... Game looks good, but I won't buy it because characters are DLC and well... it's the first DB game this generation so it will surely suck.

Stuart444

This is the first DB Fighter with actual quests that can be done and even DLC quests to add onto what we already have in the base game. Almost feels like an RPG.

Looking forward to it. I'll probably make a few alt characters to go through the story with (female Saiyan, Frieza's Race, Namekian, female Boo :D - basically the unusual ones that you wouldn't expect to see in the main story lol)

OP roster is missing Videl. But I guess it doesn't matter because we'll know the full roster within the next 24 hours.
This is the roster as is in the Japanese guidebook but if it gets confirmed or I see a screenshot or whatever of Videl then I'll be sure to add it. Thanks for the heads up!

Revven

This is the roster as is in the Japanese guidebook but if it gets confirmed or I see a screenshot or whatever of Videl then I'll be sure to add it. Thanks for the heads up!

We have a roster/character select screenshot of her:
THKo26Y.png

She's right next to Whis and Super Buu. This comes from the Taipei stream they had for the game iirc.

Just watched some live stream.

Doh! It looks pretty shitty.

And no beam struggles....

Buh.. Guess I'll sit this one out then, like everything since Tenkaichi 3.

Stuart444

So watching those streams have me HYPED.

Female boo looks nice. Battles look cool as well. Some quests are as simple as fight Dragon Balls in what I assume is a race.

Looking forward to getting this later in the month :D

Revven

Videl is Great Saiyaman 2

I know that but the character select image above shows her icon as Videl, not Saiyaman 2. Which means Saiyaman 2 is one of her alts.

Just watched some live stream.

Doh! It looks pretty shitty.

And no beam struggles....

Buh.. Guess I'll sit this one out then, like everything since Tenkaichi 3.

How does it look shitty, exactly? The players aren't going to show off everything that's good about the game combat-wise, it's day 1.

And there's a reason there's no beam struggles, this game has 3v3 and beam struggles wouldn't work in that gameplay type.

Why do they still add shitty ass characters like cell Jr and the green buttheads?? And fuck man I hate when they separate character forms/transformations.

Stuart444

Please be good and redeem that POS game that was Ultimate Tenkaichi.

It looks like it will. UTs story was good, even had anime scenes that I thought were a nice touch but the gameplay was so horrible. So much of it was luck based like Rock/Paper/Scissors.

This looks to be much better.

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening
It looks like it will. UTs story was good, even had anime scenes that I thought were a nice touch but the gameplay was so horrible. So much of it was luck based like Rock/Paper/Scissors.

This looks to be much better.

Hero mode was a big disappointment too.

A-V-B

Love alternate history Dragonball stuff. Enjoyed the hell out of the card game RPG and the side stories from Budokai Tenkaichi 2.

F4r0_Atak

The fact that DIMPS is working on it gives me a bit of hope for this title. But the fact they rely again too much on the Tenkaichi formula worries me. :S

Merkunt

No mention if you can evolve while in battle, I take it that it'll will be like in Tenkaichi 1 then? Bummer.

Revven

The fact that DIMPS is working on it gives me a bit of hope for this title. But the fact they rely again too much on the Tenkaichi formula worries me. :S

Just because it's 3D doesn't mean it doesn't have a deep combat system, in fact it's already proven it does have Budokai-like systems in it. It has a punch and a kick button just like the Budokais and the combos are very similar to Budokai like PPPP or PPKK or PP>PK. Not the exact same combos, obviously, but it's structured just like that.

This isn't even going over what else is unique to this game such as parrying or offensive teleports.

No mention if you can evolve while in battle, I take it that it'll will be like in Tenkaichi 1 then? Bummer.

No, you can transform mid-battle, some characters just can't (like Frieza). For example, Gotenks has his base form and he has SSJ3 (no idea if SSJ for him is in), he can transform into SSJ3 mid-battle and it decreases your Ki bar over time like in the Budokai games. The thing is, transformations take up an ultimate slot (you have two slots for ultimates, so you can have two ultimates or one transformation and one ultimate). So you have to decide if you want a transformation or two ultimates.

WOW! This is probably the closest we will get to a Dragonball RPG after the Legacy of Goku series
and the MMO probably (Would love to see Bioware take a crack honestly). Will definitely purchase.

Advance Warning: Multiplayer will be guaranteed full of female Majin's called Lamp
Also, why male Majin gotta be fat? Why can't we look like Super or perhaps Kid Buu?

NeonZ

You can transform in battle, but that's pretty much Super Saiyan-only. All other transformations are separate characters.

Also, why male Majin gotta be fat? Why can't we look like Super or perhaps Kid Buu?

In Dragonball online, Kid Buu was a transformation for the Majin Buus, which is why they were fat. There's no Kid Buu transformation here, but they based many aspects of the game on Dragonball online and so that design choice for their base form was kept.

theofficefan99

This actually doesn't look half-bad. Looks like a lot of content plus fast-paced gameplay. I'll hold out for the reviews, though.

Oni3298

Why is this coming it so much later than the JP versioooonnnn?!

I love everything I have seen of this game.

k1t4j

My god I have wanted a game like this since I was 10.

I am going to ignore reviews on this one and follow my childhood instinct

I hope it's decent :(

I know that but the character select image above shows her icon as Videl, not Saiyaman 2. Which means Saiyaman 2 is one of her alts.

How does it look shitty, exactly? The players aren't going to show off everything that's good about the game combat-wise, it's day 1.

And there's a reason there's no beam struggles, this game has 3v3 and beam struggles wouldn't work in that gameplay type.

Controls look wonky.. Camera was pretty messy.
It was a character looking for dragon balls. The AI opponent barely did anything while the character searched for dragon balls.. The ceiling for ascending seemed really really low. Terrain destruction vanishes immediately. Objects pop in relatively close to the character. Just seems like an unfinished concept.

I don't buy the beam struggles not possible in 3v3.. Why not

One option would be for just everyone to watch the 3 or so second cinematic of a beam struggle, until it finishes.

Another would be to allow other characters to interfere by attacking a character in a beam struggle, to make his beam weaker. Sounds plausible and pretty cool to me.

I'm not saying they should allow people to mix beams and bring things to that level of complication.. Just keep it as simple as it was before, shorter even.

And personally, I'd rather there not be multiplayer battles if it's interfering with features being implemented.. In Dragon Ball Z, very rarely are there battles with more than 2 characters. It even set the cliche that one character fights an enemy while the rest of the entire crew just watch and stutter and shake.

Will wait for Xenoverse 2 or a massive discount.

Top Bottom