• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Z Burst Limit Thread of Dramatic Shouting Prowess

Issun23

2538697256_e7254529fe_o.png

Developer: DIMPS Corporation
Genre: Traditional Fighting
Platforms: PlayStation 3, Xbox 360
Release Dates: Japan - 5 June, Europe - 6 June, America - 10 June
Resolutions Supported: 480p - 720p
Website: http://www.bandaigames.channel.or.jp/list/dbz_burstlimit

14y271w.jpg
4tx4aw.jpg

-- Premise --

Battle through the Saiyans, Freeza, Androids and Cell Game sagas unlocking secret characters and drama pieces along the way.

Dragon Ball Z Burst Limit marks the return of Budokai series creators DIMPS at the reins of a new franchise of beat 'em ups for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. Focusing on the drama during such set-piece battles like Goku versus Vegeta's at the end of the Saiyan saga and the duel between Gohan and Cell in the very last instances of the Cell Game, the game promises to let fans of the Dragon Ball Z anime re-live these unreal moments in glorious HD visuals.

-- Characters --

Burst Limit features a total of twenty one playable characters, with more possible additions made to the list via DLC.

Son Goku

2537815873_b3c13b2f31_o.jpg
2537815903_6140eb649b_o.jpg
2537815919_01c3b0cc69_o.jpg

Son Gohan (Saiyans Saga)

2538634514_d41490111b_o.jpg

Son Gohan (Cell Game Saga)

2537815959_63716f31e9_o.jpg
2537815983_772bca1390_o.jpg
2537816009_92bab00aab_o.jpg

Piccolo

2537816033_ee8f6f582e_o.jpg

Krillin

2537816063_5b7e2bd50c_o.jpg

Yamcha

2538634648_cd14886b35_o.jpg

Tenshinhan

2537816129_43452dc142_o.jpg

Future Trunks

2537821309_dd1cde2b1e_o.jpg
2538639752_20fcf6a32e_o.jpg
2537821357_0d50eeaf27_o.jpg

Vegeta

2537821383_b51beac5c6_o.jpg
2537821409_931a9b8e65_o.jpg
2538639858_cce45093ac_o.jpg

Nappa

2537821449_e50d7eec9c_o.jpg

Raditz

2538639896_4302dd7df9_o.jpg

Saibaman

2537821513_5a07b78e7b_o.jpg

Freeza

2537821549_1fe6e08871_o.jpg
2537821581_5dd83657d4_o.jpg
2537826915_a2b6a5cdd8_o.jpg
2538645068_f4098d333a_o.jpg
2537826963_7ff161ca39_o.jpg

Captain Ginyu

2538645106_0121338575_o.jpg

Recoome

2537827015_77e9da23bc_o.jpg

Cell

2537827043_080c69d74f_o.jpg
2537827069_7ca95ce47d_o.jpg
2538645188_68c2115c56_o.jpg

Android #16

2538645224_bd8a7bcc8a_o.jpg

Android #17

2538645252_0e5f80a73f_o.jpg

Android #18

2538645272_65c6e9c36e_o.jpg

Bardack

2537845775_1568450541_o.jpg

Broly

2538663936_8a9669d428_o.jpg

-- Fighting Stages --

Five arenas including separate sky sections, two destroyed versions and a space stage for a total of 13 different fighting locations.

Plains
Desert
Namek + destroyed
Islands
Cell Game Stage + destroyed
Space

-- Gameplay Modes --

Z Chronicles - Re-live over fifty battles from the Dragon Ball Z anime and movies, including secret 'what-if?' scenarios.
Versus - Fight against the CPU, friends offline and online.
Challenge Mode - Go through a series of challenges and mini-games including survival and time attack.

-- Screen Layout --

23jlfkn.jpg

Fatigue Level: Fatigue is gained from receiving damage, dodging attacks and as part of drama scenes effects. When the gauge is full, the character becomes exhausted, and unable to perform anything until the staggering effect goes away. To reduce the time it takes to recover, the player can mash buttons/flicker the right stick. Also, some drama scenes have a recover fatigue effect and can be used to lower the fatigue level.

Rounds Won: These little dots represent how many rounds the match will last. Red dots indicate rounds you won.

Remaining Health Gauges: Unlike other fighting games, Burst Limit (and all other Dragon Ball games) use multiple health gauge levels. The maximum number of health gauge levels - all represented by a different colour - is six. The round finishes whenever a character reaches level 0, or when the timer counts down.

KI Meter: Unlike previous entries in the Budokai franchise, Burst Limit's KI meter is not directly controlled by the player. In past games the player was able to charge up KI by holding down a combination of buttons, making use of higher-powered enery attacks possible. This time, the KI meter replenishes automatically and many of the common energy attacks like Kamehameha and Galick Gun do not use KI at all. You could think that this means it's much more easy to just spam these attacks, but DIMPS countered that problem by making teleports easier and less KI consuming to use - giving an advantage over abusers.

-- More Information --

Online Mode - Post online handles so you'll be added for matches!

Online mode allows players all over the world to fight in ranked and custom matches. GAF tournaments incoming!

PlayStation Network ID's

[GAF Member]: [Handle]
- Issun23: redtwenty3
- Teknoman: TeknomanEX
- Kagari: Cagalli
- Agemo_GB: OmegaMan87
- Linkzg: Linkzg64
- neojubei: neojehuty
- g35twinturbo: Gr1mj0w
- LRB1983: LRB1983
- bdizzle: longmeat
- Naruto: xXBeberXx
- kurahadol: Kdash
- Kaim Odyssey: KaimOdyssey

Xbox Live ID's

[GAF Member]: [Handle]
- Cmagus: cmagus
- Gowans007: Gowans007
- bumpkin: DaveB1980
- g35twinturbo: Gr1mmj0w

Drama Pieces

Drama scenes and pieces are the new customisation element in Burst Limit. An evolution of the capsule system of previous games, they allow characters to be modified to the player's tastes, be it defence-focused or all-out attackers. Examples include Piccolo's regeneration, where Piccolo gains some lost hit points and Kid Gohan's Ultimate Defence, where he is spared from an ultimate attack. And this time, instead of just getting a small capsule popping open in the bottom corner you get to watch a short clip of the action.

kcxr2x.jpg
16c00f5.jpg

-- Q&A's --

Q: Isn't this just a Budokai 1 re-make?

A: At first it might appear so, but when you start playing Burst Limit you'll realize that this is as an evolution of the series as much Budokai 3 was after Budokai 2. Taking all the elements introduced in the portable Shin Budokai games and adding many more new tweaks to the gameplay makes this the finest Dragon Ball Z beat 'em up to date.

Q: So, I just mash buttons like crazy and I win right?

A: Against the CPU, pretty much, yes. Versus live competitors you might face some challenge. Burst Limit is a very technical game of cancels and reaction. If your opponent knows what s/he's doing, spamming Kamehameha's won't do you any good.

Q: Why does it only go till the Cell Saga?

A: DIMPS says they had to leave the Buu saga out because it introduces so many new characters and gameplay variations like Fusion that the game wouldn't have been out this year. Expect new characters and arenas either through DLC or a new game next year.

Q: What kind of music is in the game?

A: All music in the game is composed by Kenji Yamamoto, famed musician behind several Dragon Ball Z game soundtracks in the past like the Butouden, Budokai and Shin Budokai series. The only song that's not composed by Yamamoto is the opening/theme song, "Kiseki no Honô yo Moeagare!!" (Flare Up, Miraculous Fire!!) which is performed by Hironobu Kageyama, long-time Dragon Ball theme song artist.

-- Media --

Screens

5vraex.jpg

2irm81k.jpg

1znl9qv.jpg

Videos

TV Spot: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/33922.html

TV Spot 2: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/34243.html

Debut Trailer: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/29221.html

-- It's out tomorrow in Japan! -- Don't forget you can try out the game right now; demo available on both PSN and Marketplace.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
I might be crazy. I'm thinking about picking this up over Battlefield: Bad Company. :(
I'll wait for the demo is out to decide what i like more.

Souther

Banned
CcrooK said:
Ya know, this game does come out during MGS4 week. It was sent to die. Sadly.

Umm i doubt that very much. Even if its the same week...This game will still sell. Far too many people still like DBZ. I'm buying it and MGS4

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
What's with the shortage of characters, I liked the Tenkaichis that had pretty much everybody in them, even if they only appeared in like 1 movie.

Cmagus

im still getting it I am a huge dragonball fan.The demo was good and it seems to me that each one they release it gets better.Add me on Xbox 360 at cmagus i'll be down for some matches day 1

sebmarine

I really like the demo. Haven't played a DBZ game since DBZ3 on SNES (wich wasn't as good as DBZ2). Also had the Megadrive DBZ but it wasn't nearly as good as the SNES games... it came with a free Dragon Ball vol. 1 manga though!

Scribble

Not sure I'll be getting this. As a casual fighter-player, it looks like it'll be rather barebones in the content department.

LowParry

Issun23 said:
It caters for a different type of audience, plus it's on 360 as well you know.

Just saying. Not implying doom and gloom about the game because I'm quite interested in it. Just a great week of gaming.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
CcrooK said:

I think I will forgo buying ninja gaiden II and buy burst limit along with metal gear solid 4. The demo is very fun.

eve241

How likely is it that a new Tenkaichi game will eventually be released? A Tenkiachi games with Burst Limit's graphics - now that would be the ultimate DBZ game.

Issun23

Souther said:
It says DragonBall Z Burst Limit on the cover but it says Dragon Ball Burst Limit on the spine.

That packshot is from March, I guess (hope) they'll put the 'Z' there for the actual retail package.

Endow said:
How likely is it that a new Tenkaichi game will eventually be released? A Tenkiachi games with Burst Limit's graphics - now that would be the ultimate DBZ game.

I think they're having 'Budokai'/Sparking titles on a three-year rotation. What I didn't like of Spike's games was that the fighters somehow all felt the same.

Agemo_GB

Neo Member
I played the demo on PSN and I really liked it and the l;ast DBZ game I owned was Budokai 2 so I guess this is a good time to get into fighting games again. MGS4 and DBZ will be bought the same day at the virgin mega store at 12:00 (MGS4 launch) Maybe I can get Kojima to sign both of them! Probably not...

:(

Souther

Banned
Agemo_GB said:
I played the demo on PSN and I really liked it and the l;ast DBZ game I owned was Budokai 2 so I guess this is a good time to get into fighting games again. MGS4 and DBZ will be bought the same day at the virgin mega store at 12:00 (MGS4 launch) Maybe I can get Kojima to sign both of them! Probably not...

:(

Akira Toriyama should crash the party!

Guled

CcrooK said:
I know, I was interested in the game until I learned of the release date. I guess I get it latter on then.

eve241

Issun23 said:
I think they're having 'Budokai'/Sparking titles on a three-year rotation. What I didn't like of Spike's games was that the fighters somehow all felt the same.

I think they felt more different than in Budokai to be honest. The speed and strength (damage per hit) specially can be very different from character to character.

But my main gripe with the Budokai series is that unlike the Tenkaichi games you can't do massive combos and effectively fight like they do in the anime. It could be a non DBZ game if it weren't for the teleports.

I am gonna pick this up day one, but I doubt it will play it since I will be in the thick of the action for NG2 and soon to start MGS4, but I did really enjoy the demo.

Issun23

Endow said:
I think they felt more different than in Budokai to be honest. The speed and strength (damage per hit) specially can be very different from character to character.

But my main gripe with the Budokai series is that unlike the Tenkaichi games you can't do massive combos and effectively fight like they do in the anime. It could be a non DBZ game if it weren't for the teleports.

I agree in that the fast blows we sometimes see exchanged in the show are left out of these games (Budokai) but are perfectly recreated in Sparking ones. Still, I enjoyed fight scenes in the original Dragon Ball (not Z) much more and the battles in Budokai titles mimic those duels very faithfully.

eve241

Issun23 said:
I agree in that the fast blows we sometimes see exchanged in the show are left out of these games (Budokai) but are perfectly recreated in Sparking ones. Still, I enjoyed fight scenes in the original Dragon Ball (not Z) much more and the battles in Budokai titles mimic those duels very faithfully.

Well as an anime I prefer the original Dragon Ball myself but this is a Z game and I think it should be more faithful to the source material. Still, I'll give this game a try to see how it has improved over B3.

decon

Might pick it up. Love the graphics, hope the combat gets better as you learn it more (only played the demo a few times).

Gowans

will be picking this up for shits and giggles, never watched DMZ or played any of the games but the demo was a lot of fun.

XBL: Gowans007
(will be on holiday till the 11th)

Cirruss

Downloaded the demo, didnt think i was going to like it as much as i did. I played that thing to death must've fought raditz like 30 times. Preordered it, gonna get this and AoC to keep me occupied for a while.

CcrooK said:

Considering the type of people that were going to get this game regardless, I'd say there is no way a game like this can be sent to die.

TEJ

neojubei said:
I think I will forgo buying ninja gaiden II and buy burst limit along with metal gear solid 4. The demo is very fun.

A DBZ game over NG2? The demo was good fun, but it shouldn't be purchased over NG2.

KGKK

Banned
Hmmm content wise this seems a little bare. I guess I will rent this one and prob buy the second one. I hope in the second they include Majin Vegeta's ultimate move as it was awesome in Budokai 2.

Dibbz

CowboyAstronaut said:
Considering the type of people that were going to get this game regardless, I'd say there is no way a game like this can be sent to die.
I'd buy this game if it weren't comming out the same time as MGS4. :|

Sent to die
since I don't have a job to pay for both

Teknoman

Souther said:
Umm i doubt that very much. Even if its the same week...This game will still sell. Far too many people still like DBZ. I'm buying it and MGS4

This. Also thanks to Ccrook for showing me the light of an Arcade stick + DBZ Burst Limit.

Already payed off MGS4 eons ago though, so im getting this plus NG2.

Oh and you get a free Blu Ray version of the movie DBZ: Dead Zone (uncut *Blood, the word damn, hell, etc., and with japanese music+english voices) for preordering from Gamestop. 360 version preorder gets a DVD version of the same movie. T-shirt comes with it as well.

Also while the Ultimate Moves arent as dramatic as with Budokai 2 or 3 (not Tenkaichi series of course) the "Fatal Blow" moves might be. There was supposed to be some kinda Fatal Strike moves added to Burst Limit, but no one has seen any info on them.

As far as the fast action fighting goes, those chase button bashing games after doing a pursuit attack are just awesome.

Souther said:
Akira Toriyama should crash the party!
AT kicks in the door: "KOJIMAAAAAAAAA!!"

PSN: TeknomanEX

Pein

Banned
TEJ said:
A DBZ game over NG2? The demo was good fun, but it shouldn't be purchased over NG2.
If I had the choice I'd get the dbz game but I'm a really hardcore dragonball fan though

Pein

Banned
God's Beard said:
WTF incomplete Ginyu Force=no sale
jeice and burter would be lame to play with and guldo if they added him with his time freeze would probably be broken

Hachimaki

Learning that there is only 21 characters is a little disappointing. SSJ3 Goku? I think I'll stick with renting this one.

Teknoman

Well multiple characters arent needed unless they can at least make them somewhat different. One bad thing about DBZ games with so many fighters is that aside from a select few, the rest arent all that fun to play as.

Agemo_GB

Neo Member
I prefer less characters because it lets them focus on the few that are there and making a good fighting game hopefully. To be honest the show got crazy after Z and I prefer the Z saga over GT anyday just because it was just a little too much. Super Saiyan 3 was pushing it a little but I could have dealt with that. But then 4 OMG TOO MUCH! I hope this game is good overall.

EDIT: PSN ID OmegaMan87

The lineup of characters isn't too bad actually for a first in the series game. Obviously they will milk this game a lot. After this the next I will buy is the third in the series unless the next one has DB to DBGT.

PSN ID: Linkzg64

Top Bottom