• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Z: Revival of “F” Spoiler Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daingurse

someone might have to refresh my memory because it's been awhile but

Why has Frieza never attained the form that Cooler takes in Cooler's Revenge? Is that something exclusive to Cooler? Way back when my friends first told me this movie was coming and Frieza would have a new form I thought maybe he'd finally hit that form, but then they revealed Golden Frieza.

I don't care for Golden Frieza at all, very gaudy and ugly IMO. His regular final form looks way better. I was really hoping for something more monstrous when I first heard the rumors of a new form. I don't think we're likely to see characters like Cooler or Broly, as much as I personally would like to see the later.

And why the heck didn't they have him go 100% Power in Gold form?

100% Final Form Frieza was part of the reason why he lost on Namek. He and Goku were almost equal in that fight but that shit put too much strain on Frieza. Goku even pointed it out but Frieza ignored him. Lost too much energy to the point where the fight became more one sided in Goku's favor.

I guess he learned from that mistake, but ironically made a similar mistake by not mastering the Golden form. If he did, he probably could've put up a hell of a better fight than what we saw in the movie.

Gohan though, what a disappointment he's become.

Gohan is officially past the point of no return. He got one hit KO'd by Frieza's first form. I don't care how powerful Frieza has become, that was his first god damn form.

By the next movie Goten is gonna be stronger than Gohan. And he'll have lost the ability to power up or even have trouble just flying. Almost like his Sayain blood is saying "Nah I'm done bruh," and leaving his body.

Daingurse

Gohan is officially past the point of no return. He got one hit KO'd by Frieza's first form. I don't care how powerful Frieza has become, that was his first god damn form.

By the next movie Goten is gonna be stronger than Gohan. And he'll have lost the ability to power up or even have trouble just flying. Almost like his Sayain blood is saying "Nah I'm done bruh," and leaving his body.

To go from being the most powerful non-fused fighter on earth, to getting your heart stopped by first form Frieza.

2352036-9320081384-i9pJQ.gif

I hope he makes a comeback in Super, with Rocky-style montages.

It was hard to tell how much better SSGSS was than just the same old normal Super Saiyan forms. The fighting actually felt fairly low scale for how powerful they were supposed to be. Both Frieza and Goku felt more powerful in their original fight on Namek even though they were exponentially weaker.
That's always been one of the big problems with battles in DBZ, the scale of the fights peaked at Frieza.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Saw the movie tonight, I was pretty impressed! The humor was top notch, and the fights were well done too. I'm also totally on board with the current voice actor for Frieza since I was a bit skeptical during Kai, but he really does the character justice. My only complaint is how much Gohan's been weakened, especially considering that he was kicking the crap outta Super Buu a few years ago. A few questions though:

1) What's the deal with the Pilaf gang being kids? Something about a botched wish attempt some time before BotG?

2) Does it explain how long Frieza's been in his personal hell? I thought he was still in the regular version with the blood lake and all of the other villains as last seen during the Kid Buu fight. Also, how come the first time it showed him in the cocoon he was in his cyborg form? He had his regular body the last time he was seen.

Yeah in Battle of Gods it's explained that the pilaf gang had at some earlier point gathered all the dragon balls but they were too old so they first wished for youth. Shenron made them kids.

And Resurrection F is actually the first canon depiction of hell we've seen in Dragon Ball. Every prior appearance (blood lake version, goz and mez, pikkon vs cell, ginyu force falling into the lake, everyone watching the fight with buu, etc) was Toei filler.

I think this is a better option than just giving everyone a power boost. The Justice League works because regardless of how powerful Superman is, there are just certain things that Green Lantern and Wonder Woman are better suited to handle. With Dragon Ball, everyone just stands around shitting themselves and praying for Superman (Goku) to show up because he's flatout better than they are at every facet of the game.

If Destructo Disk lived up to it's potential, Krillin wouldn't need to a higher power level to be a useful member of the team. Gohan is a scholar? Ok, so let's combine his book smarts with his experiences as a fighter and have him be a Batman type of strategist (without the dickish behavior). Just some examples of simple things they could do to make the whole crew shine.

This is BY FAR the biggest problem with DBZ. It has basically repeated this ever since the first saga. The only exception was the Buu saga, which ultimately still ended with Goku defeating Buu DESPITE it revolving around "teaching the next generation" message.

Window

Not enough talk about Jaco in here. Him pulling off that pose was so good. Also I think Gohan got his due here, it was clearly stated that he was holding back and could wipe out all the soldiers in a second if he wanted to.

GaimeGuy

I love how people complain about frieza beating gohan. This is a guy in his early-mid 20s (23/24ish) who hasn't trained since he was 11 (outside of a day or so swinging the Z sword around), yet he went from being the weakest SSJ2 to being significantly stronger than any SSJ3 in a day sitting on his ass (literally). Why the outrage when he gets beaten?

BigDes

I love how people complain about frieza beating gohan. This is a guy in his early-mid 20s (23/24ish) who hasn't trained since he was 11 (outside of a day or so swinging the Z sword around), yet he went from being the weakest SSJ2 to being significantly stronger than any SSJ3 in a day sitting on his ass (literally). Why the outrage when he gets beaten?

Because although it isn't canon, the last time Gohan met Frieza, Gohan hit Final Form Frieza so hard he killed him in one shot, at a time where it had been made explicit that dying had been turned off.

GaimeGuy

Because although it isn't canon, the last time Gohan met Frieza, Gohan hit Final Form Frieza so hard he killed him in one shot, at a time where it had been made explicit that dying had been turned off.
Yeah well, it was already established that the kais could beat frieza in a single blow (shit, 11 year old gohan knocked the 18 out of perfect cell with 2 pulled punches), so it shouldn't be surprising that mystic gohan, who manhandled super buu, who was stronger than the Buu that decimated the kais, could do it, too.

Why is the idea of frieza getting so much stronger so hard to accept when Goku increased his strength 10,000 fold in a month? Without beginners gains

Arkeband

Banned
So I checked this out last night since it would be the last showing of it in theaters.

Thoughts:

Not even acknowledging red-hair SSG and going straight to SSGSS was very strange. They also avoided calling it SSGSS in the English dub, but there was a goofy "naming" scene for Golden Frieza which would have worked better if Goku had named it SSGSS and had Frieza point out how redundant that sounds.

Master Roshi's commentary during the fight was great. Everyone else's was lame catchphrases. Z warriors fighting a bunch of faceless nameless goons for 15 minutes isn't very exciting.

The fight with Frieza was kind of boring because there was only a few scenes with actual choreography, a large chunk was 'ooh look they're moving so imperceptibly fast' sonic boom stuff all over the sky, only pausing to acknowledge how uneven the matchup is. "Hmm-hmm! You're stronger than I thought!"

I'd say the movie was a little more serious than Battle of Gods, but ultimately seems to fall into the skippable, throwaway category that most anime movies fall into, with the small caveat that this will be rehashed through DBS, but with shittier animation.

Maximum the Hormone's "F" seemed muted and low-quality both times it was played, I don't know if that's the fault of the dub or what. The second time it played there were no lyrics. For being the inspiration behind the creation of the movie, they really didn't do it much justice.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
They should have returned the favor by having Gohan explode after that punch from Freeza. Funny how it almost played out that way in the movie.

Blader

Not even acknowledging red-hair SSG and going straight to SSGSS was very strange. They also avoided calling it SSGSS in the English dub, but there was a goofy "naming" scene for Golden Frieza which would have worked better if Goku had named it SSGSS and had Frieza point out how redundant that sounds.

It's not named in the movie, Goku just says something like "it's Super Saiyan with the power of a Super Saiyan God." The SSGSS name came from some side material thing.

bonercop

I liked BoG a lot better than this tbh. I wish they didn't listen to all the "more akshun!!" whining -3-

The action was bad. it was the most stock, boring DBZ fight imaginable. The only fun fighting bits where when the side characters got a little time to shine, fighting that massive group of enemies. DBZ doesn't do that often.

It was hard to tell how much better SSGSS was than just the same old normal Super Saiyan forms. The fighting actually felt fairly low scale for how powerful they were supposed to be. Both Frieza and Goku felt more powerful in their original fight on Namek even though they were exponentially weaker.

This has been a problem with DBZ ever since the Frieza saga ended. Up until that point, the show did a great job of massively increasing the scale of each battle. Vegeta was portrayed as being so powerful, that his fight with goku literally caused earthquakes over the entire planet. And when we got to Frieza, their punches created holes and cracks in the planet visible from space. They tore Namek to bits simply by powering up.

....and then suddenly we're back to Radditz level of destruction for the rest of the series, even with villains that are supposedly a billion times stronger than frieza. At best, the occasional plateau gets destroyed in the fights, but no more awesome shit like Frieza piledriving Goku into the core of Namek.

I think this is a better option than just giving everyone a power boost. The Justice League works because regardless of how powerful Superman is, there are just certain things that Green Lantern and Wonder Woman are better suited to handle. With Dragon Ball, everyone just stands around shitting themselves and praying for Superman (Goku) to show up because he's flatout better than they are at every facet of the game.

If Destructo Disk lived up to it's potential, Krillin wouldn't need to a higher power level to be a useful member of the team. Gohan is a scholar? Ok, so let's combine his book smarts with his experiences as a fighter and have him be a Batman type of strategist (without the dickish behavior). Just some examples of simple things they could do to make the whole crew shine.
The (saiyan saga)vegeta fight had this dynamic going on, and that's why it's still the best fight by far.

Arkeband

Banned
The thing that gets me is that Beerus is so powerful his job is to destroy planets. Frieza destroys planets by apparently just pushing on the ground. So now every bad guy going forward can destroy any planet.

Whats the point? They're effectively fighting on tissue paper, crashing through mountains should be like a fly landing on their face.

Why I personally don't like Gohan getting man-handled is the same reason Buu saga made me sad.....they've taken the character who the whole of Dragon Ball Z originally was circling around as the main character, and demoted to sidekick.

Sephzilla

Why I personally don't like Gohan getting man-handled is the same reason Buu saga made me sad.....they've taken the character who the whole of Dragon Ball Z originally was circling around as the main character, and demoted to sidekick.

I honestly don't think I would say all of Z circled around Gohan. Until the Cell Saga he was mostly used to fill time gaps between when Goku shows up, or used as a deus ex machina to get someone out of a bad situation.

The thing that gets me is that Beerus is so powerful his job is to destroy planets. Frieza destroys planets by apparently just pushing on the ground. So now every bad guy going forward can destroy any planet.

Whats the point? They're effectively fighting on tissue paper, crashing through mountains should be like a fly landing on their face.

Every villain from Vegeta onward has been strong enough to destroy a planet.

So this movie earned 8 million in a limited run. Thats 1/4 of what Fantastic Four made in a full release.

I feel like if DBZ had a bit more marketing and wider release, it would have beat FF. Which is really sad for Fox...

C.Dark.DN

Banned

Yeah. It's weird when a blast just takes out some rocks at this point. All their moves should have the power to destroy a planet behind them.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Just watched it, it was good. Liked BoG more tbh. Poor Gohan, what have they done to you? :( he doesn't deserve this. Come on man, just breaks my heart.

Love Beerus and Whis, such fun and interesting characters.

parasight

My theatre was so hype it made the movie. Everyone screaming out KA ME HA ME HA together was hilarious. Laughing any time Krillin is on screen (especially when 18 says "he's so cool"). And then everyone freaking out when Vegeta goes SSGSS. Wish someone recorded our screening.

Planets are really only destroyed on purpose.
Vegeta during the Saiyan Saga blew up Arlia with ease.

Yet there are energy blasts hitting Earth that are thousands of times more powerful. People are in control of their energy to the point where they don't send their blasts through the structural integrity of the planet.

Friezas cop out on Namek was planet destruction but he held back and it took longer than anticipated. This time around he didn't hold back.

Daingurse

Planets are really only destroyed on purpose.
Vegeta during the Saiyan Saga blew up Arlia with ease.

Yet there are energy blasts hitting Earth that are thousands of times more powerful. People are in control of their energy to the point where they don't send their blasts through the structural integrity of the planet.

Friezas cop out on Namek was planet destruction but he held back and it took longer than anticipated. This time around he didn't hold back.

That was filler, but I don't think Vegeta was bluffing when he said his Galick Gun would destroy earth, and that attack had a power level of 30,000 I believe. Toriyama just fucked up the power-scaling really bad. As strong as characters are later on in the series they should be destroying planets casually using small ki blasts, just like Beerus. But there really seems to be a focus on detonating the core.

GaimeGuy

That was filler, but I don't think Vegeta was bluffing when he said his Galick Gun would destroy earth, and that attack had a power level of 30,000 I believe. Toriyama just fucked up the power-scaling really bad. As strong as characters are later on in the series they should be destroying planets casually using small ki blasts, just like Beerus. But there really seems to be a focus on detonating the core.

Roshi was able to destroy the moon (1.2% of the earth's mass, 2% of the earth's volume). So yeah, Vegeta could easily destroy the earth. So could Goku at the time, even without the kaioken, probably.

Khal_B

Saw the movie over the weekend with some of my family and thoroughly enjoyed it for what it was. The fact that it even came to my country was a pleasant surprise, so I hope this a trend that continues!

One thing that bugged me is the fact that Gohan went SS during his fight with Frieza's henchman. The thing I'm wondering though, is it that Gohan has forgotten how to go in his 'ultimate form', so he resorts to going SS? Or is he able to go SS on top of his ultimate form, thus stacking both forms?

I'm a bit confused and would be grateful for some kind of clarification, thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom