• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 11 worth playing?

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Not the best DQ but its in top 3.

LMFAO at anyone saying it has a generic story. It subverts your expectations and plays with the generic formula of DQ so much so that if you comment otherwise you're exposing yourself as a casual who hasn't played the other games in the series.

Literally has call backs to prior games like FF IX does. I just don't rate it as the top dog but it is fucking good. If this game is for newcomers and is FULL of previous references and Horii said XII is for fans fuck knows how that's gonna go.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Unless you're a troll or never played DQ11, those are 2 very different types of jrpg in terms of gameplay. Nothing against Tales though, great game.
I would say field and the way you exploration might somewhat similar but the combat and and pacing is very different from each other.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Yeah, don’t force yourself to do endgame. One thing I realized is that a lot of the games play about the same, but it’s the story and art that really set them apart. 11 has a lot of good, short missions. You might see the loop of travel, mission, grind, finish mission, and travel after a while. That’s why I recommend increasing battle speeds, so you don’t feel like level grinding is that time consuming. If you aren’t into JRPGs then I don’t know what to tell you. The music is good, but it’s on the loop. You feel like you’re definitely in a fantasy world. I’d say give it a good 10 or hours. If you don’t like it then don’t bother. I finished the main stuff in 56 hours. The end game stuff came when I was satisfied with the game and I wasn’t feeling like doing it all again. I’d rather play another DQ at that point. I’m excited for the next DQ and I can honestly say XI-S really scratched that DQ itch. I hadn’t had that feeling since IV-VI on NDS. The visuals in XI are probably some of the best in the series. They really brought everything to life. It just gets repetitive after a while, so endurance is also a good thing to have. It’s very rewarding at times.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
This is now a Jade thread, post Jades
Jade thread? Jade Thread.

dcn986m-31c77a84-bc3e-49e8-8e78-a64cf0941489.jpg

Graciaus

I don't see anyone mentioning it but it is an extremely long game. I spent over 100 hours in it.

If that is the version with slightly worse graphics but huge qol changes play that one.

I love Dragon Quest but XI might be one of my lesser favourites in the series. I unfortunately got real bad luck when it came to playing this game and had to restart an astounding amount of times. Obviously it's not VI or IX or anything, but I don't hold it in as high a regard as I do V, IV, III and VIII for example.

So yeah, answering your question, absolutely. It's fucking Dragon Quest.

borborygmus

I love Dragon Quest but XI might be one of my lesser favourites in the series. I unfortunately got real bad luck when it came to playing this game and had to restart an astounding amount of times. Obviously it's not VI or IX or anything, but I don't hold it in as high a regard as I do V, IV, III and VIII for example.

So yeah, answering your question, absolutely. It's fucking Dragon Quest.
This. It undermines itself pretty hard in numerous ways and doesn't manage to reach the heights of some of the all-time best DQ games like V and VIII.

It's pretty good overall but I am annoyed at how much it shoots itself in the foot.

Massive story spoilers: Almost every significant story event including Veronica's sacrifice is undermined by stupid timeline shenanigans. Pretty much everything you enjoyed gets erased from history and redone in a rushed way.

Also, the soundtrack is the weakest in the series and heavily reuses tracks from old games. Sugiyama's simply too old for this shit and his uncredited interns are not good composers.

Last edited:

Labadal

I really like DQ XI. It has a really fun cast of party members. The game looks very good, and combat is fun if you activate a few of the draconian challenges. The only weakness is that there aren't enough songa in the soundtrack.

If you like jrpgs in general, I think you might up liking it. Especially if you like the series. XI is a worthy entry.

Impotaku

No it's not. And Dragon Quest 11 has Jade. So there.
You spelt sylvando wrong, it's all about sylvando the best character in any game. Kind, funny, super strong and yet he has flaws that make him really endearing. Going back to the game hell yes it's one of the best rpg games of modern times. It's pure traditional DQ but by the end the final story wrap up was wonderful.

Nico_D

Played it, didn't really care about it. Protagonist was just bad. Too plain. That's my main problem with it Other than that, I felt like it was pretty by the numbers jrpg, not much originality in any category.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
The beginning was nice, but the gameplay loop didn’t draw me in. I gave up 10 hours in. Too slow for me, and the character design had nothing on DQ8’s up to the point where I dropped the game.

Saber

Gold Member
No not hard, just the general gameplay is a long grind.

Grind is only necessary for heavy investment or platinum trophies(that requires level 100 for instance). Good equipments can be archieve normally either by NPCs selling fine equipments or chests(find in places or overworld) and level up faster only needs metal monsters, which can be beaten by popular knowledge and critics. Also, the refinament system is there and is also not a difficult task even for new comers to DQ series. Every equipment has only 3 levels.

In resume, the grind is pretty tame if you want to beat the game. But if you want to really invest or get platinum, might need some investment.

Last edited:

abcdrstuv

Banned
Can I get a take on the pacing? I’m at Kingsbarrow, v early, grinding outside it bc I have no talent, and so far there are sluggish sections of plot and faster ones.. does it stay sluggish overall? I almost like it enough to sink 100 hours into it anyway but it’s a close call

Rran

One of my favorite RPGs ever. It depends on what you're looking for from a JRPG, really. If you're a fan of the traditional style of them and want one that's got super-high production values alongside the genre's usual strengths (cast, story, turn-based strategy), I think DQXI delivers in spades. Just be sure to turn on Stronger Monsters on the naming screen.

Pretty much every playable character in this game was my favorite character at some point. That's how much I enjoyed the cast.

Last edited:
Short answer: Yes
Long answer: It’s contingent upon if you value deep or involved RPG gameplay. DQ11 is lacking in that department. It feels more like an experience than a game. It occasionally flirts with greatness but it feels lacking compared to the competition.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Hell yes it's worth playing. I'm probably a 1/3 of the way through it. Will probably boot it back up once snow starts to fall.

It's an awesome game if you like old school JRPG mechanics. Just simple grinding and leveling up. Throws some other things in but it's DQ, if you've played one you've largely played them all.

I have the standard edition on PS4, the S version is probably better but not important to me.

Graphics are gorgeous, music is fantastic, story is engaging. Just a super chill game to play and get lost in.

abcdrstuv

Banned
Short answer: Yes
Long answer: It’s contingent upon if you value deep or involved RPG gameplay. DQ11 is lacking in that department. It feels more like an experience than a game. It occasionally flirts with greatness but it feels lacking compared to the competition.
Yeah, I’m lukewarm on the gameplay but it’s grown on me, I like the art style and it’s a fun throwback overall. It’s just the pacing - how much trudge from place to place, how much does the narrative rhythm change.. Might just chuck it for the new Tales, which is closer to my limit for JRPG tediousness

Top Bottom