• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 2 SNES question

bluemax

Banned
Ok so I'm replaying DQ2 on SNES and I just won the lottery grand prize "Golden Card". Does this item do anything? I checked every faq and they claim it gives you a 25% discount for shops but the weapon shop still costs just as much. Is this a glitch on the SNES version?

Red Scarlet

I don't think prices are lowered in the buying menu, just when you buy an item it takes 3/4 of the gold shown. Save your game then buy a Steel Sword to see if it takes away 1500 gold or 2000.

Red Scarlet

If it doesn't lower the cost when you actually buy something, try having the Gold Card in the character's inventory that is going to buy the item.

bluemax

Banned
Ah ok, I hadn't tried to buy anything because I couldn't afford anything I wanted. I just bought something else though and the store keeper gave me the discount after purchasing the item.

Confusion cleared up, thanks.

Quick question to GAF;

Now that im currently playing DQ8, i'm planning on heading back through the series. I was wondering which version of DQ1+2 is better; the SNES or GBC remake?

Red Scarlet

If you can play it, the SFAM version is better. It plays faster, looks a little nicer, and sounds a little better for 1 and 2. Game-wise there aren't any changes/differences that come to mind.

go go go bluemax.

bluemax

Banned
Red Scarlet said:
If you can play it, the SFAM version is better. It plays faster, looks a little nicer, and sounds a little better for 1 and 2. Game-wise there aren't any changes/differences that come to mind.

go go go bluemax.

This is my umpteenth attempt at DQ2 since I finished DQ1 back in the early 90s. This time around I'm playing the SFAM version and not the NES version and it feels easier so far. I'm really more interested right now in replaying the Zelda games, but I grind a few levels in DQ2 when I'm waiting on someone/something. I can play it mindlessly at work and still manage to look busy...

Red Scarlet

The remake is easier to play through, but some things were fixed/changed that make it 'harder' to become powerful faster. Being able to hit another badguy helps (but don't spells still 'miss'?), but you can no longer get as much money as you want from the Thunder Staff so you have to actually fight around to get the better equipment (I know a good place though), and you can only get 1 Water Cloth in the remake. The 2nd prince can also equip the Loto/Erdrick's Sword in the remake.

Then again if you got the Gold Card, it may not be hard to get a bunch of Mage Staves or Prayer Rings to get money anyway.

They added seeds to the game, but they don't help too much. Sleep is pretty effective (may be too effective) but the overall difficulty of the game was toned down. It still can be darn tough, though. It just seems more forgiving and a little better balanced for most of the game, to me anyway. They may have increased the experience some monsters give out (they certainly did for Metal Slimes in both games and the little puddles in DQ2) in DQ2 while in 1 almost every badguy gives more experience and/or gold. They're both quite short compared to the originals (I've gone through them both in one sitting, something I'd not be able to do in the originals).

Have fun! Oh, I was comparing the GBC/SFAM ones in my earlier post. They aren't very different. The originals are, though. You can rename the alternate party members in the GBC/SFAM version if you want, bluemax.

bluemax

Banned
I used save states to get the Gold Card, mostly cause I was curious as to what it did and I couldn't find any faqs that said what to shoot for from the lottery.

I'm still early so I only have Heal, Antidote and Fireball. Fireball hasn't missed yet, but I haven't gone beyond the town where you first meet the Princess (grinding for gold so I can get equipment to proceed).

How do you rename characters? I doubt I will as I stopped renaming RPG characters years ago, but I'm still curious about how to do it.

The furthest I ever remembe getting in this game was maybe to an arena type place? I think I used to end up getting lost so much back in the pre Gamefaqs days on this game that I'd just go off and replay FF6 for the 500th time. And yet once again I feel compelled to give it a go.

bluemax

Banned
Stuck again. I got to the Dragon Horn towers or whatever and IIRC I just go to the top of one and jump down and I should be on the other side. However I get to the top, jump and I'm back outside and to the right of the tower. I have the Wind Cloak equipped...

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Not to derail, but I've started a game of DQ5 SNES (translated) for the first time. Why the HELL is the game so ugly and slow?

:(

Red Scarlet

bluemax said:
Stuck again. I got to the Dragon Horn towers or whatever and IIRC I just go to the top of one and jump down and I should be on the other side. However I get to the top, jump and I'm back outside and to the right of the tower. I have the Wind Cloak equipped...

Did you equip it via the equip screen? Which way did you jump off? You jumped off and out of the tower, right? It should send you 2 or 3 squares away from the towers in the direction you leapt off.

As for renaming:

Rename the Prince and Princess

To rename the Prince (2nd character) to whatever you want,
start the game up, then choose to Continue an Adventure. When you are at the ''file screen'', put the cursor to the left of the file you want to change the name.

Hold the directional pad to the Left and also hold the Start button and push the A button with them still held down. A naming prompt will then appear for you to enter in
the new name.

To change the name of the Princess (3rd character), put the cursor to the left of the file you want to change her name in, and this time hold Right on the directional pad along with the Start button, and then press the A button while still holding right+Start. A naming prompt will then appear for her.

Meji: It came out in 1992. It's like the first FF's on the system..not a huge upgrade from the earlier games graphically.

Mejilan

It was tolerable in DQ4 for some reason, but downright painful in DQ5. :(

Also, I'm sick of playing the role of a 6 year old who can't even read signs. :(

Mejilan

I'm alone now. Just the hero (named Loto once again), and the kitty-cat pet I have. So, no sign readings.

But, are you implying that I'll be playing as a 6 year old kid for the duration of the game!? The game's already foreshadowed that I'd grow up (the Elf Queen in the Fairy Village)!

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Red Scarlet said:
Well, there's other people that can read them. I don't remember if he ever does learn to read.
DQ5? Yeah he learns to read. I thought that was fooking hilarious though.

Red Scarlet

Mejilan said:
But, are you implying that I'll be playing as a 6 year old kid for the duration of the game!? The game's already foreshadowed that I'd grow up (the Elf Queen in the Fairy Village)!

Oh, no, wasn't implying that. I wouldn't know what the game foreshadows, never played it in English. SPOILER

john tv

Mejilan said:
It's not much of a spoiler! :D
DQV rocked. It's a shame we never got the PS2 version in English, because it's just as good as, if not better than DQVIII. Far better story, at least!

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
john tv said:
DQV rocked. It's a shame we never got the PS2 version in English, because it's just as good as, if not better than DQVIII. Far better story, at least!
It took away the gimped 3 character party too, no? Gave us a 4 character party and every monster in the game if I recall correctly.
That all said, I thought DQV was overall one of the weaker DQ games in all aspects.

Red Scarlet

I just mean in the sense that I never knew what she said there.

You can have 4 party members in the remake. Not every monster type can join, but they did add some that weren't recruitable and added dice game boards and a few secret monsters that can join, too.

Mejilan

Red Scarlet said:
I just mean in the sense that I never knew what she said there.

You can have 4 party members in the remake. Not every monster type can join, but they did add some that weren't recruitable and added dice game boards and a few secret monsters that can join, too.

Ah, the Elf Queen has nothing to reward you for returning the Flute of Spring, but promises to lend you her aid when you're older, and in trouble.

So presumably my little Loto will grow up... and be in trouble. :)

Mejilan

Just arrived at Reinhart and finished buying up everything in town. (Surprised at how much MONEY you make in the SNES version. I required absolutely NO gold-grinding for 2 towns straight, now, having just enough to fully upgrade everyone's equipment from the moment I entered the town).

Prince Henry was abducted and dad (Papas) ran off to save him. I'm guessing I should head to that cave in the Northeast (or was it Northwest) that some random folks mention, presumably to help dad save Prince Henry.

(Getting really tired of being a 10 year old kid!) Also, I'm like level 13, and wildly confused as to why only HP, MP, Attack, and Defense are going up. My other attributes, such as agility, etc., aren't going up at all. Same for my pet Kitty. And same for Bianca when I still had her. :/

bluemax

Banned
Ok I don't know what happened but I guess I goofed up my saves and thought I had the Wind Mantle when I didn't. Sigh. Back on track now...

Mejilan

Awesome Metroid avatar.

Anywho, I just passed that cave and got to a major plot twist. Loto now looks like a silly robed monk. :(

Mejilan

Hey Red, do you know if you can collect (and store) all of the 40-some monsters in the SNES version of DQ5? If I attempt to 'catch them all', will I have to give up the earlier critters as I get new ones?

Red Scarlet

I don't remember if you can store one of each or not. I remember there being 2 less slots than all of the types in 6, but no idea about 5.

Red Scarlet

I never came close to getting them all
even with the ubercheat
. Some of the monsters have a realllllllllllly low recruitment rate, including some of the added ones in the remake (something like .33% or so).

Mejilan

I imagine the caravan can only hold so many at once. But there's the caretaker who can take the excess... he just doesn't mention if he has a limit, that bum! :D

Ubercheat? I'm getting damn tired of farming Horks...

Red Scarlet

Yeah I don't remember how much the old monster guy can hold.

There's an in-game cheat you can do that makes any recruitable monster join every time and every physical attack you do is a critical. You can't do it until a certain point in the game, though.

Mejilan

Red Scarlet said:
Yeah I don't remember how much the old monster guy can hold.

There's an in-game cheat you can do that makes any recruitable monster join every time and every physical attack you do is a critical. You can't do it until a certain point in the game, though.

Doh! I want that! Do you recall the 'certain point in the game' bit, by any chance?

Red Scarlet

I don't think it's for a while..
Granvania is where you get the last item you need, iirc.
It makes the game pretty brainless. :/

If you are interested, send me a pm. I won't know the exact names used in your version.

Mejilan

When I get there. Again, thanks. :D

Though, tbh, this is a pretty brainless DQ. You seem to get money and exp at a much faster clip, and even the metals are fairly common and seem to have much crappier evade rates than ever.

Top Bottom