• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest Builders demo out now

Unknown?

I was so cynical about this game but decided to get it anyway because I want to support DQ (played DQ heroes for all of an hour).

Now I've been playing the demo for 3 days and have put hours into building up a little castle despite reaching the end of the demo hours ago. Even scaled the mountain, explored a swamp and ran like hell from a dragon I woke up but couldn't be bothered to fight. All this on the absolute bare bones demo version makes me feel I'm going to get very addicted to this.

How do we feel about roofs? I tried putting some on and even started a second floor using steps I stole from the dungeon you start it. Really feels like they intend you to leave it open though. It does still look very old school DQ this way so I'm OK with this. Upper floors would've been fun too though.
I put a roof in and a second story. #teamroof! When you go into a room and the camera is still outside just press R3 and it'll reset to where you can see your character.

trikster40

Loving all these positive impressions. Gonna skip the demo and just buy the game day 1 regardless, don't have time to play the intro twice :p

Pehaps the save file from the demo can be loaded into the final version? Anyone have the JP version and tried this?

Raw64life

I only played the first hour of the demo for the same reason (not wanting to have to play several hours of the same game twice). I pre-ordered this game a while ago simply because it has Dragon Quest in the title but was pleasantly surprised by the little I played.

I'm hoping I can finish DQVII by next week but that's not looking very likely.

zakujanai

I put a roof in and a second story. #teamroof! When you go into a room and the camera is still outside just press R3 and it'll reset to where you can see your character.

Yeah I've been doing this and it is quite nice to have a proper enclosed space. Think I'll start off with open rooms and start working in roofs and extra floors if it feels right to do so.

vypek

I never played a Dragon Quest game at all. Went completely blind yesterday and you know what? Loved it.

The most amazing part was spending 3 (ingame) days to kill the dragon, dealing with the slimes and the ghosts occasionally. The reward was quite surprising.

Spoiler: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CuHKRXMWcAEpzwY.jpg

Will buy.

I actually built a house in the water near the dragon so I could rest and fight it the next day when it was getting late

Raybunny

I actually built a house in the water near the dragon so I could rest and fight it the next day when it was getting late

Well done. I did try a couple of things but in the end was easy to manipulate its pattern and so he perished. Long but fun fight especially with the random critical hits.

I wonder if there are more hidden health seeds. Will keep an eye on it.

black070

Very telling when almost everyone who's played it for them self is sold on it - quality demo, can't wait for the full release, it's reviewed really well !

Hobbun

Played the demo last week for about 2 ½ hours, loved it.

I was planning on purchasing the game already, but the demo just solidified the decision.

vypek

Well done. I did try a couple of things but in the end was easy to manipulate its pattern and so he perished. Long but fun fight especially with the random critical hits.

I wonder if there are more hidden health seeds. Will keep an eye on it.

Yeah, I had no choice but to build the house since it was getting too late. I was worried that the ghosts would ambush me to much and interrupt the fight at night. It was at least easy enough with the slimes around him.

I only found 2 health seeds out in treasure chests. Couldn't find anymore.

Played the demo as long as I could. Shame according to Play-Asia and HeavyArm Sony won't let them ship the Vita copies until November

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
After playing this great demo I have high hopes for the full game. This feels like that sleeper hit title that could potentially be on people's top ten list for goty this year but won't hit the top spot due to it not being super high production.

Ferr986

Just realized that you don't need to light up your town at night to avoid monsters getting closer like Minecraft.

Kind of miss that, seems like night times and/or dark areas aren't as troubling here.

Just realized that you don't need to light up your town at night to avoid monsters getting closer like Minecraft.

Kind of miss that, seems like night times and/or dark areas aren't as troubling here.

I still put up torches in my town's entrance, ha. Because it's pretty.

aadiboy

Wow, everyone loves the game, MC score is high and rising, this seems like a great game! I'll be sure to get it eventually.

Arkeband

Banned
Does the full game have a larger soundtrack than what the demo has? I tried to find the OST on YouTube but it only had 6 songs or so.

mjc

Does the full game have a larger soundtrack than what the demo has? I tried to find the OST on YouTube but it only had 6 songs or so.

That's one of my concerns, as I thought the music they used in the demo looped way too often. It kinda got annoying. If worse comes to worse I can always mute it, I suppose.

wrowa

Pehaps the save file from the demo can be loaded into the final version? Anyone have the JP version and tried this?

I haven't had the time to actually play the full game yet (I did play the demo, though), so I just started it up for a couple of seconds. Since it boots directly into the (unskippable) opening cutscene I'll assume that it's not possible to import your demo save file.

TopIszR.jpg

ghibli99

It's Dragon Quest... it shouldn't ever have such feelings of dread (IMO anyway).

Ferr986

I still put up torches in my town's entrance, ha. Because it's pretty.

I'll totally do it too. I'm just too used of it coming from Minecraft.

It's Dragon Quest... it shouldn't ever have such feelings of dread (IMO anyway).

To be fair, this is not a standard DQ. I dunno, I feel like it adds a little more on the town management. There's some things absent from Minecraft that would add a lot on the exploration without feeling "alien" on a DQ game, like having a ship and being able to seal instead of just warping, or finding underground caverns...
Loved the game and I have it pre-ordered , but playing the demo it felt like it lacked something on the exploration side.

I haven't had the time to actually play the full game yet (I did play the demo, though), so I just started it up for a couple of seconds. Since it boots directly into the (unskippable) opening cutscene I'll assume that it's not possible to import your demo save file.

I have a day 1 edition pre-ordered too but damn, it's annoying how these editions have the exclusive ads in the box art.

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
pre-ordered cant wait to get my hands on it! enjoyed the first bit of the demo, but stopped playing once I learned teh saves dont transfer to full game.

Arkeband

Banned
That's one of my concerns, as I thought the music they used in the demo looped way too often. It kinda got annoying. If worse comes to worse I can always mute it, I suppose.

This was one of the few things I found wrong with DQH - I didn't mind the field battle themes but there were only two songs you could use back at the hub area and they were both like 30 seconds long.

DQ has dealt in dread, the new localizations tend to over-whimsy the original scripts.

Eusis

DQ has dealt in dread, the new localizations tend to over-whimsy the original scripts.
It's a little annoying, but in this case I think he means more from a gameplay standpoint. And yeah, with exceptions it should be a little kinder on THAT front.

Pyrrhus

The original Dragon Quest definitely had some dread going into caves and dungeons as the ominous drone to the music would get deeper and slower for every floor you went down and your torches would slowly go out until you were enveloped in total darkness.

And Dragon Quest III had the day/night cycle where the sky would darken and tougher monsters, particularly the undead, would come out at night and ghosts would sometimes come out in the villages. Also the ghost ship you had to track and board using a compass made from one of the doomed crew's thighbones.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Is there anything else to do in the demo beyond filling out your little starting area? I have 8 rooms plus two kitchens, a workshop and a teleportarium and I can't see myself hitting level 3 unless maybe I cram every room full of pots and stuff.

Probably getting the game next week although the price difference between physical and digital is annoying (prefer digital), just want to get a bit more out of the demo :)

edit: Got to level 3 by turning each room into a tiny cell and filling them with chests or pots. Also found the area behind the cliffs with
the dragon and the freaky trees
. That seems about it for the demo world. Tried building a bridge across the water but it pushed me back with a 'mysterious force'

Does the spine have boring typical Square Enix white bg with black text or did we get a logo on the spine in EU this time?

Raybunny

nice! how did you get things like the tree trunks and stairs in the town?

edit : Ordered from amazon - £31.99 pretty good price. Random £2 discount for being a prime member.

The tree trunk I got from killing the tree monsters in the swampy biome west of the base. The stairs I got them at the spawn area. I strip it of its basic materials. :)

sublimit

Banned
Man i'm going to spend so many hours on this game when it comes out it's not even funny!! I absolutely adored the demo!!

Top Bottom