• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest: Builders |OT| - "If you build it, they will come."

The Vita version on PSN comes with "battle tickets"

CvDNBPnXgAAks3K.jpg

Any way to get that on PS4?

Also has anyone heard about the E-Zine and the five items?

Recall

So only a little in but I would like some clarification on how the chapters work.

If I make my starting village/city epic is it reset in the next chapter or is it persistent and will always exist?

Son and I are having fun malleting slimes and trees to make a park like area full of benches like a mini park but I've read that it can all be for nothing as its all reset between chapters. Is this true?

So only a little in but I would like some clarification on how the chapters work.

If I make my starting village/city epic is it reset in the next chapter or is it persistent and will always exist?

Son and I are having fun malleting slimes and trees to make a park like area full of benches like a mini park but I've read that it can all be for nothing as its all reset between chapters. Is this true?

Every Chapter has its own save and you can always go back.
The next chapter starts fresh in a new area and you can't visit the old one directly anymore, but you can always load an old save and see what you built, it doesn't disappear unless you intentionally delete that save.

The game handles it like 4 small standalone games that are connected by a story

Recall

Every Chapter has its own save and you can always go back.
The next chapter starts fresh in a new area and you can't visit the old one directly anymore, but you can always load an old save and see what you built.

The game handles it like 4 small games that are connected by a story

Ok thanks for explaining it. I'll keep a separate save to limit the tears later on when we eventually move on in the story.

Arkeband

Banned
Beat this last night, have to go back and re-do chapters 1 and 2 to knock out the speedrun challenges.

The last boss is fun, but has some poor design decisions.

When finishing the first phase, it makes you sit through an unskipppable dialogue intermission (I have no idea what happens if you answer 'yes') and when the second phase starts, you can die in one hit to the boss's bite attack, which sends you back before the whole fight (phase 1). So the cost of failure while learning the patterns is pretty high. Just look up a guide and pause between phases, the trial by error isn't worth the time investment.

The ending was also kind of brief and unceremonious but then again, that's how most DQ's are.

Begaria

Finished the story campaign last night. Fantastic ride through and through. Might go back when I have time and platinum the game, but I've got way too much on the game list to get through the next few months before I even entertain that idea.

JP

Same, but I got Dragon Quest VII in the mix as well.

:(

Been a long time since I've been this happy with my gaming offerings.
All these JRPGs remind me of the PS1 days when I used to spend a fortune importing RPGs from America and Japan with friends.

Daouzin

All these JRPGs remind me of the PS1 days when I used to spend a fortune importing RPGs from America and Japan with friends.

Yup. A lot of people always claim that our excitement about gaming goes down over time because of age. We aren't super easily excited teenagers anymore, but this season has proved that wrong in my eyes.

So many good games in such a short amount of time. Some seasons of gaming are definitely better than others.

Roubjon

I finished Chapter 3 and it was awesome. When I finally created the "Ultimate Weapon" I thought it was fucking hilarious. And so janky haha.

There is a sidequest in chapter 4 whereby I need to recruit a monster named "Androoo". He's in a cave to the northwest of the red teleportal. I found two caves. One right behind a little brick house in which I could sleep, and another in the poisonous swamp area. I blew up the orichalcon with a bomb, but did not find the guy.

Where is he?

bumpkin

Can I just say that this game wasn't even on my radar, but after trying the Vita demo, I kind of want to pick it up?

SkyOdin

There is a sidequest in chapter 4 whereby I need to recruit a monster named "Androoo". He's in a cave to the northwest of the red teleportal. I found two caves. One right behind a little brick house in which I could sleep, and another in the poisonous swamp area. I blew up the orichalcon with a bomb, but did not find the guy.

Where is he?
You can see a speech bubble behind the wall you need to destroy. I found him in the swamp, but there were two caves in the swamp in my save-file. Since exact locations can be a little random, I don't know how to give directions.

I stumbled upon that guy by complete and utter accident. I was like "oohhhh, rare minerals!", bombed the heck out of that cave, then was startled to discover a friendly monster.

Yup. A lot of people always claim that our excitement about gaming goes down over time because of age. We aren't super easily excited teenagers anymore, but this season has proved that wrong in my eyes.

So many good games in such a short amount of time. Some seasons of gaming are definitely better than others.

So true. I feel like I don't have time to play all the RPG's being released this holiday.
WoFF, Skyrim...FFVX next month. The revival of role playing games on consoles is amazing :)

Well shit.

I tried out the demo tonight out of boredom and curiosity, and I'm totally sold. I never realized that what I wanted most out of a Minecraft-esque game is actual role playing and direction. Will be picking up a PS4 copy tomorrow. I do have two questions though.

Just how long is the game? I know Square Enix themselves said something to the tune of 50-100 hours but I'd rather hear it from GAF.

Also, how easy/hard is it to platinum? I took a look at the trophy list and it seemed pretty straightforward. I have no idea what these "challenges" are supposed to be however.

Well shit.

I tried out the demo tonight out of boredom and curiosity, and I'm totally sold. I never realized that what I wanted most out of a Minecraft-esque game is actual role playing and direction. Will be picking up a PS4 copy tomorrow. I do have two questions though.

Just how long is the game? I know Square Enix themselves said something to the tune of 50-100 hours but I'd rather hear it from GAF.

Also, how easy/hard is it to platinum? I took a look at the trophy list and it seemed pretty straightforward. I have no idea what these "challenges" are supposed to be however.
Id say 40-50 hours for completion minimum, another 15-20 for platinum. and then whatever you want to spend in Freeplay mode, which isn't required for story or trophies.

The platinum is easy and fun, most challenges are just specific side quests in the chapters. You'll most likely have to replay chapters because each one has a "speed run" challenge, but I enjoyed that and the limit is very generous

Id say 40-50 hours for completion minimum, another 15-20 for platinum. and then whatever you want to spend in Freeplay mode, which isn't required for story or trophies.

The platinum is easy and fun, most challenges are just specific side quests in the chapters. You'll most likely have to replay chapters because each one has a "speed run" challenge, but I enjoyed that and the limit is very generous
Sounds great. Thanks for the reply.

Still in Cantilin, how do I finish Pippa's second quest wherein she asks you to invent a new dish? :/

IIRC you can find everything for it behind the red portal. There's a guy near an oasis that gives you some recipe and then you'll have to build the brick barbecue and make a bunicorn burger on it. Oh and you also need wheat to make bread which you can find on the hills near the castle behind the blue portal

Razmos

"The farmer sutra"
Between that and the dwarf thing being confused when you ask to see its tool.. this game is unexpectedly dirty lol

And now I just got a recipe for a "naughty nightlight" lmao

vypek

Can I just say that this game wasn't even on my radar, but after trying the Vita demo, I kind of want to pick it up?

Well shit.

Yeah it was the demo that sold me on the game too. Was really surprising that it was so fun.

"The farmer sutra"
Between that and the dwarf thing being confused when you ask to see its tool.. this game is unexpectedly dirty lol

And now I just got a recipe for a "naughty nightlight" lmao

Lol the hammer hood thing really took me by surprise

In chapter 1 outside of the castle I have to rebuild this ghost guys stone stockade. I call myself patching up the holes with the materials he gave me. Put down the spikes as well.....but he is still telling me to build it. What gives?

gunstarhero

Just beat the
Giant Golem
and am ready to head to
another city in need of my mad building skillz!

Interesting how the boss battle clears any fortifications you made outside of the city limits - makes sense. Loving this game right now - but man, it's a time suck! I find myself playing 2-3 hours at a minimum... which I totally shouldn't have the time to do. :p

I totally forgot I had the day one edition - I just redeemed the code, but didn't notice anything new in my inventory. Does it come later in the game?

gunstarhero

In chapter 1 outside of the castle I have to rebuild this ghost guys stone stockade. I call myself patching up the holes with the materials he gave me. Put down the spikes as well.....but he is still telling me to build it. What gives?

Be sure you are using the right stone. I accidentally used some stone foundation blocks in some areas and it doesn't count.

Linkura

Finally started on this today. Went through all the other games I'd purchased recently first because I'm a huge DQ fan (insert avatar quote here) and figured I'd enjoy it no matter what, so no need to worry about playing it quickly in case I didn't like it for resale value. Made it to my base at Level 3 and about to go through the 2nd teleporter in Cantlin.

I probably could have played longer today but I was getting a little burnt out. Getting up to the roof of the castle pissed me off a little since I'd had to go through a full night cycle to get it to day again so I could climb it without being in the dark. Otherwise I've been having fun, but I'm not in love with it yet. Never played Minecraft, so this a pretty new experience for me, even though I know they're pretty different games in structure. I'm glad they give you objectives as I'm definitely not one of those people who likes to build for the sake of building. I'll just keep seeing how I feel about the game as I progress.

vypek

Post chapter 3 and it seems I can't party up anymore. Its not as bad as I thought it was going to be since I was able to take out the giant enemies by myself. There is an armor I want to make but it seems the last piece I need is a rare part and I can't get it so I'll move onto chapter 4 soon.

Finished the game. would score it about 4/5. It's a good meaty game, plenty of hours. I found myself mostly skipping the dialogue.

mechanically its really fun and the demo gives a good insight into it but it never really gets much deeper and almost all the chapters had the gameplay mechanics locked in a similar fashion: mine, harvest create, beat the bosses. Last boss was kinda fun. Best thing about the game? Magic cannons are boss.

Watching the videos/youtube - builder had a block sucking vaccum cleaner which I never got in the game. How do you get it?

Combat needs to be deeper but I really enjoyed playing it. Popped into freebuild mode to look around but I doubt I'd play it.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I need a Goddess Statue to build the Holy Hostel in Chapter 4. I cannot build one, so where can I find one?

Thank you

Check the Divination Crafting Table.

Z3M0G

Minecraft X Animal Crossing + cliffhanger Demo = Purchase!

My GF and I couldn't resist. It is a game made for the both of us. If only we could Co-op, then it would be perfect.

I want to make the Catholicon Ring in Chapter 2, but I don't know where to get Defuddle Drops.

Searched online + this thread and found nothing. Am I missing a quest or something? I'm right about to start the final boss battle.

I want to make the Cathonic Ring in Chapter 2, but I don't know where to get Defuddle Drops.

Searched online + this thread and found nothing. Am I missing a quest or something? I'm right about to start the final boss battle.
Follow the river before the prickly wilds and you should come to an area with werewolf monsters and some kind of temple

Recall

So do you get blueprints often?

My Son and I have our forge but just have it slapped down within our city limits. Is there a blacksmiths or forge type room to create? Like the workshop?

We created what we thought would meet some the requirements but obviously we are just guessing. Can such a room be made? Cheers.

Also we are less about the quests and more about collecting at the moment do maybe we get more later in the story?

Just started my girlfriend off on chapter 2 and I accidentally saved it over my town, probably 10 hours straight down the drain! I wasn't far off finishing the chapter. Whoops.

SkyOdin

So do you get blueprints often?

My Son and I have our forge but just have it slapped down within our city limits. Is there a blacksmiths or forge type room to create? Like the workshop?

We created what we thought would meet some the requirements but obviously we are just guessing. Can such a room be made? Cheers.

Also we are less about the quests and more about collecting at the moment do maybe we get more later in the story?
There are about four to six blueprints per chapter, but some of them tend to be optional or hidden in caves, secret rooms, or behind sidequests.

As for the forge, it actually doesn't have a room type of its own. It can be used to upgrade an existing room-type. A resident eventually gives a clue about that after a quest.
I need a Goddess Statue to build the Holy Hostel in Chapter 4. I cannot build one, so where can I find one?

Thank you
While you can make one from the diviner's table, there is also one to swipe at the pool of water on the first island.

Follow the river before the prickly wilds and you should come to an area with werewolf monsters and some kind of temple

many thanks friend!

Chapter 2 done. all challenges complete except speedrun. onto the next! :D

ALSO: what are the chances of SE making DQB2? they seemed to push out a sequel to Heroes pretty quickly, and from what i can tell the reception of Builders has been good, so why not?

Beat the game. Amazing. Can't wait to play the sequel.

I'm finally trying out Terra Incognita. Give me your codes, GAF! I want to see your creations!

Ferr986

Just beat the game too!

Loved the game, although it's not without it's annoyances. Final boss was a little anoying even if easy, and the ending left me confused
so I should be dying soon yet I have a scene of ¿me? rebuilding the town. Wish they would clarify what was my fate. Also, it's good to see the Square-Enix tradition of making Godesses a bunch of fools intact.

Looking forward for a sequel but they really need to do something with the combat. Ch. 1 and 2 were way better than 3 and 4 for me because it had less combat. Ch.3 had a lot of funny NPCs though. I would say 4 is the worst.

Shahed

Anyone know how to get a Water Crystal or to how to put water in my base? I made the Spa blueprint and was gonna put water in but couldn't think of a way. I assumed water would be part of it all and I build over the existing one in the corner of the base

vypek

Can't find Zenithium on chapter 4! I did look on caves but there's only orichalcum.

Take the red portal. Head NE until you start seeing a sandy area. There are at least 3 caves in the face of the mountain if you start looking around and walking around it. One entrance will be above ice, one is above sand and another opening is above the normal dirt that you walk on to get to that NE desert. When you see blue speckled bricks you can set a bomb on them to mine it.
Anyone know how to get a Water Crystal or to how to put water in my base? I made the Spa blueprint and was gonna put water in but couldn't think of a way. I assumed water would be part of it all and I build over the existing one in the corner of the base

Replace your bath house with the spa since it already has water there. If you don't want to do that, break the panels on the floor of the bath house to have the water irrigate to another area you want to build the actual spa on.

aechris

I think I am stuck in Chapter 4. At the very least I think I'm going to have to reload an old save.

Ch4 spoilers:
I found Barbella, she followed me for a bit, but then she dropped off somewhere along the path and didn't make it back to town. When I go back to get her again, she's gone. Even after asking the guy in town to drop a Q mark on the map again, I get to the destination and there's no one there. Ugh.

Top Bottom