• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest: Builders |OT| - "If you build it, they will come."

I don't know what you're asking. Some challenges unlock non-building items like weapons or clothing. Others unlock QOL stuff for building in free mode, like unbreakable gear or things that eliminate the food requirement.

So it's possible to get all of the building materials without completing the game 100%, but I'm not sure precisely which things you can skip, and you might get them incidentally.

I haven't played the game personally, but as a hypothetical, is it possible for a player to complete every task and side mission short of actually beating the game so that they can focus entirely on the building and creative aspect of the game? I'm told that completing side missions avails the player with new forms of blocks and ingredients. If completing the main game does a hard reset, would a Minecraft player be better off 99 percenting the game so that he has the full range of building options available and then ignoring the main quest from that point forward?

vypek

I haven't played the game personally, but as a hypothetical, is it possible for a player to complete every task and side mission short of actually beating the game so that they can focus entirely on the building and creative aspect of the game? I'm told that completing side missions avails the player with new forms of blocks and ingredients. If completing the main game does a hard reset, would a Minecraft player be better off 99 percenting the game so that he has the full range of building options available and then ignoring the main quest from that point forward?

Completed side quests that give you extra stuff in free build are registered when you close a chapter. If you want an extra you'll have to go through the story. Completing the main doesn't reset anything. Not doing the main story does prevent you from learning a lot of useful recipes too.

Arkeband

Banned

To elaborate on the above poster:

There are 4 chapters.
Each chapter has 5 challenges.
When you beat a chapter you can re-load the save for that chapter (they're all separate).
You can clear up any remaining challenges (build this elaborate house, find this item, kill this monster, etc) by walking into the end-of-chapter portal and it will re-check your challenges.

If you play through the story mode and beat the game, you will have the vast majority of the building pieces. Some of the challenges are fun and involve building things you wouldn't have built otherwise.

All of the speedrun challenges give equipment that might make building things slightly easier but aren't necessary.

Ydelnae

That difficulty bump in chapter 3, wow. And you don't have materials to build better weapons before entering the first portal. I'm not sure how I'm going to complete the speedrun challenge for this chapter.

vypek

When I place it it does nothing :\

Did you fill in the pond that is also outside your base? You could irrigate water into your base.

That difficulty bump in chapter 3, wow. And you don't have materials to build better weapons before entering the first portal. I'm not sure how I'm going to complete the speedrun challenge for this chapter.

Fight less when you are alone until you get better weapons. As you add people to your base, you'll be able to recruit them before heading out of your base and they will fight with you. You will be able to manage the speedrun the first or second time around.

vypek

The first thing I did in the chapter was even out the ground. Can't build buildings with ditches around the place!

Makes sense. I tend to only flatten land right before I build. My initial thing with the base is to give it walls, a door and easy ways to get outside

Linkura

I had no problems with Chapter 3 once I made proper equipment
The key is that you can't make proper equipment for the first base battle. The best you can make at that point is a stone hammer and leather armor, which may as well be nothing, and you're limited by the number of creams you can make for healing. Once I was able to make non-shit-tier stuff, I had a much easier time, and I hope that keeps up.

And all challenges in chapter 2 complete. So that marks the halfway point?

This is definitely a front runner for my GOTY up with Dark Souls 3.

Just an FYI here, I discovered something important regarding room building. In case anyone needs to know.

I'm noticing that rooms within your base, if even one wall is touching the darkness line, it can prevent room types from registering. It's happened to me quite a few times now as I always expand as much as I can to start. I will create a basic kitchen or something but it won't register as such, but when I shorten up the room and make sure no darkness is touching any of the room walls it registers just fine. Had me super freakin pissed for a while until I noticed the pattern.

I just got the red portal in chapter 3 and this is just an awesome game. Surprise of the year for me!

Opa-Pa

Made it to chapter 2! Completed all challenges in 1 save for the speedrun one. Not a fan of the fighting focus, but everything else is just lovely.

I'm pretty early in Chapter 2 but so far it's been far more interesting. The first one was like a fun tutorial but here I feel like I'm actually accomplishing things and helping people for real, plus the music is superb, I love it.

Linkura

I ended up quitting the game. I guess it's just not for me. The repetitiveness, particularly in the combat, was getting to me, and I realized my only goal in playing at this point was to just beat it for the sake of beating it. I'm not the kind of person who is into customization and building, so I was just going through the story stuff. Wasn't having any fun anymore.

hey all - i'm stuck in ch. 2 would love some help

I've cleared the red portal map except for the one girl who says she needs a note / someone to trust...and all the doors that are locked.

edit - already healed one of the patients ( of the 5)

my infirmary has 4 people at full red bars just sleeping it away but never waking....

no one is waiting on any quests to be fulfilled - does anyone have suggestions what to do?

AGoodODST

hey all - i'm stuck in ch. 2 would love some help

I've cleared the red portal map except for the one girl who says she needs a note / someone to trust...and all the doors that are locked.

edit - already healed one of the patients ( of the 5)

my infirmary has 4 people at full red bars just sleeping it away but never waking....

no one is waiting on any quests to be fulfilled - does anyone have suggestions what to do?

Are there enough beds for all the villagers? I had to do that to make the next quest appear at one point.

Yazuka

Started playing this game yesterday and I'm having a blast so far. I'm in chapter 2 now and I'm a bit disappointed that you didn't get to keep anything you built from the first chapter. Oh, well. But the game is really fun. I'm having a hard time putting down the controller and time just flies by. I think I've played for 10 hours just today.

y7YcDx1h.jpg

Let's fucking goooo

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I really, really wish you didn't have to worry about eating in free mode. What's the point? It just adds stress for no reason to what's supposed to be the relaxing half of the game.

Arkeband

Banned
I really, really wish you didn't have to worry about eating in free mode. What's the point? It just adds stress for no reason to what's supposed to be the relaxing half of the game.

If you finish the speedrun challenge in Chapter 2, you unlock an accessory that removes this.

I've never actually played Minecraft, but I picked this up as a Dragon Quest fan.

I absolutely adore it thus far. Reminds me of Animal Crossing but with actual shit to do.

Ferr986

I just made a kitchen and got human NPCs to work there (NPCs appear every 3 days and you can reload to get the NPC you want).

Still have to eat but I don't need to farm ingredients and cook anymore.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
If you finish the speedrun challenge in Chapter 2, you unlock an accessory that removes this.
Ah, well there you go. I'm intrigued by their perspective on leaving it in, though.

bout to finish up chapter 2

I think I'm wasting too much time in chapter 1 & 2.

my goal for chapter 3 is to just seek out the quests directly and not get distracted by sidequests and stocking up on items/exploring every nook and cranny

I did like how different chapter 2 felt from chapter 1. not too much but enough to keep every aspect fresh.

Shahed

Just build a Barbecue Bistro or eqiuvalent ASAP. Personally and when on other ielands personally I found Cactus Steaks the best food to go. 40% and all you need is Coal and Cactus pieces which are easy to get loads off.

There's an accessory that prevents it, but I find the No Fall Damage and Double Jump too useful not to have. Even the Meteorite Bracer for faster movement.

oktarb

Got to chapter 4. Gotta say that I'm not a fan of the fact that it really doesn't matter how you prepare you base for the end battles. They just throw crazy shit at you and you use the special gear that you craft at the very end.

vypek

Got to chapter 4. Gotta say that I'm not a fan of the fact that it really doesn't matter how you prepare you base for the end battles. They just throw crazy shit at you and you use the special gear that you craft at the very end.

For the base defenses or the final boss battle?

wrowa

Can you get a second hot water crystal in chapter 3? My SO lost the one you get at the beginning (it could be anywhere) and is now stuck trying to build the spectacular spa.

SkyOdin

Can you get a second hot water crystal in chapter 3? My SO lost the one you get at the beginning (it could be anywhere) and is now stuck trying to build the spectacular spa.
I don't think so. There might be one in the hot spring area past the blue teleportal, but I am doubtful about that.

I hate to say it, but you might need to sweep around for that crystal, or just save the spa for a second run through the chapter.

Arkeband

Banned
Ah, well there you go. I'm intrigued by their perspective on leaving it in, though.

I fully anticipate a lot of the clunkiness surrounding free build to be addressed in the inevitable sequel. There's a lot to iterate on, which is great because the game is hugely enjoyable even with so many strange design shortcomings.

hampig

Really loving the game so far. It was my first purchase along with my PS4, and I'm having a blast. I do have a question though. Is there any way to check your current missions and their objectives outside of talking to the quest giver? I can't seem to find that information anywhere.

I have some questions about the city building. My starting city is getting pretty crowded and now some dude wants me to build a watchtower. Can I build one outside of the city and right next to it?

For the base bonus of anything to apply, it needs to be in a room, right? I have that giant chest plopped down in the open and don't seem to be getting base points from it. Same thing with tiles.

Are most room recipes unlocked through normal progression, found in the wild, or do you have to "stumble" upon them through experimentation? I feel like I should have more recipes but I don't know if I'm doing it wrong by not experimenting

You are about to embark on a great adventure! :)

Tip: don't try to get the time challenges on your first time through. Just play the game however you want and enjoy it.
Thanks for the advice, I was planning to take my sweet time the first time through and then revisit chapters for the speedruns.

SkyOdin

Really loving the game so far. It was my first purchase along with my PS4, and I'm having a blast. I do have a question though. Is there any way to check your current missions and their objectives outside of talking to the quest giver? I can't seem to find that information anywhere.
There is no in-game quest list, I am sorry to say. You can see a one-line summarized description of your quest in the word bubble over the quest-giver's head, but that's it. Thankfully there are usually only two or three town quests at any time.
I have some questions about the city building. My starting city is getting pretty crowded and now some dude wants me to build a watchtower. Can I build one outside of the city and right next to it?
I don't think so. You need to build the blueprint inside the town limits. However, you are free to tear it down as soon as the quest is finished, against the spirit of the request as that is. If you are running out of space to put things in your town, you can always expand vertically by building second floors or basements.

For the base bonus of anything to apply, it needs to be in a room, right? I have that giant chest plopped down in the open and don't seem to be getting base points from it. Same thing with tiles.
That is correct; the contents of rooms are the only things that are added to your score. That includes the value of the blocks that make up yhe floors and walls as well.

Are most room recipes unlocked through normal progression, found in the wild, or do you have to "stumble" upon them through experimentation? I feel like I should have more recipes but I don't know if I'm doing it wrong by not experimenting
A lot of room types are given to you as part of the story quests, but many are not. Each chapter usually has at least one or two blueprints that can be found in caves, unusual structures, or from optional sidequests. There are also a few room types that the town residents will hint at, but are not formally given as part of a quest. If a resident talks about putting certain objects in a room, it is usually a clue to a hidden room recipe. Furthermore, there are several room types I've found that can only be discovered via experimentation. The
torture chamber
for example. Finally, there are a couple room types that people will tell you about in later chapters that can be feasibly built in earlier ones.
Just got the game today. Where do I find the day one dlc in-game?
All of the DLC is only found in the free build mode, called Terra Incognita. You need to clear the first chapter of the game to unlock that, first.

hampig

There is no in-game quest list, I am sorry to say. You can see a one-line summarized description of your quest in the word bubble over the quest-giver's head, but that's it. Thankfully there are usually only two or three town quests at any time.

Thank you! I have one more question. What does leveling up your base do? I can't really see any difference.

vypek

Thank you! I have one more question. What does leveling up your base do? I can't really see any difference.

The different rooms you build to level up your base usually have an effect that can be helpful during your play in the chapter. And its also necessary to advance the story at times.

SkyOdin

I am pretty sure that it boosts your attack and defense stats. It is the equivalent of leveling up in other DQ games. I haven't really tested the numbers though.

UCBooties

Ok... weird question about the DLC about this game.

I received two codes, one from Amazon and one in the box for the Day One edition. I entered the two codes but then I selected to keep shopping without starting the download.

Now, when I go to the Dragon Quest Builders card in my Library it shows that I have 5 add-ons but there is no store link that would allow me to see the items and re-download them. Likewise, there are no add-ons listed within the PS4 store itself. How the heck can I actually access the items I redeemed?

Thanks

Ferr986

Ok... weird question about the DLC about this game.

I received two codes, one from Amazon and one in the box for the Day One edition. I entered the two codes but then I selected to keep shopping without starting the download.

Now, when I go to the Dragon Quest Builders card in my Library it shows that I have 5 add-ons but there is no store link that would allow me to see the items and re-download them. Likewise, there are no add-ons listed within the PS4 store itself. How the heck can I actually access the items I redeemed?

Thanks

You can access them once you unlock the free mode (after beating chapter 1). The items are already in the disc so you don't really download anything.

I am pretty sure that it boosts your attack and defense stats. It is the equivalent of leveling up in other DQ games. I haven't really tested the numbers though.

It doesn't. Equipment does that.

Town level does nothing, it's only story requirements. Certain buildings do boost NPCs stats (HP, equipment).

i remember this for my playthrough....my base was overly crowded so I just built a second floor and put hte tower on that

Top Bottom