• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest: Builders |OT| - "If you build it, they will come."

I would of liked if your entire base gave you points. It's a little dumb to me having to place a tree inside of a room for it to count.

You don't have to actually build the Cantlin garden inside the base for it to count for the challenge, if that's what you're aiming for.

You won't get points for it, but it'll still mark it as completed.

On Demand asked if he needs to put something in the confines of a singular room for that something to generate points, as opposed to putting it in the confines of the base, but outside of a room. He knows that putting it outside of the base does not yield points.

renzolama

I've developed a completely irrational hatred of the ghost and enemy casting sounds. Every time I hear them my blood pressure starts to rise. What's wrong with me.

On Demand

Banned
You don't have to actually build the Cantlin garden inside the base for it to count for the challenge, if that's what you're aiming for.

You won't get points for it, but it'll still mark it as completed.

Not trying to do that. Just wondered if points only apply inside built rooms.

On Demand asked if he needs to put something in the confines of a singular room for that something to generate points, as opposed to putting it in the confines of the base, but outside of a room. He knows that putting it outside of the base does not yield points.

Correct.

vypek

I've developed a completely irrational hatred of the ghost and enemy casting sounds. Every time I hear them my blood pressure starts to rise. What's wrong with me.

I did my speed runs on the first attempts of each chapter and one of the most annoying parts was dealing with ghosts and their castings during the night.

Portalbox

Hey guys I have a quick question. I'm currently on Chapter 3 and I noticed that I missed the ladder recipe on Chapter 1. How can I get it? I reloaded my Chapter 1 save, got the recipe then "cleared" the chapter again thinking that was going to trigger the unlock, but it doesn't seem like it's working (I reloaded my Chapter 3 save to check).

steveovig

I just finished the boss from Chapter 2 and I was wondering if there was any stuff I should make sure to do before ending the chapter? Right now, I feel the need to re-build my city cause it looks like a disaster zone! Should I make sure to make anything special or do anything to get stuff to carry over?

supergiz

How does this run on ps4 pro? Getting mine today and thinking of picking up Dragon Quest Builders. Heard stories about some games looking worse on pro. This isn't one of them is it?

Roubjon

Hey guys I have a quick question. I'm currently on Chapter 3 and I noticed that I missed the ladder recipe on Chapter 1. How can I get it? I reloaded my Chapter 1 save, got the recipe then "cleared" the chapter again thinking that was going to trigger the unlock, but it doesn't seem like it's working (I reloaded my Chapter 3 save to check).

My guess is you don't start with the recipe in Chapter 3 and will get it later when make your first piece of wood.

Ferr986

How does this run on ps4 pro? Getting mine today and thinking of picking up Dragon Quest Builders. Heard stories about some games looking worse on pro. This isn't one of them is it?

This game has no Pro patch so it runs exactly the same as OG PS4.

I just finished the boss from Chapter 2 and I was wondering if there was any stuff I should make sure to do before ending the chapter? Right now, I feel the need to re-build my city cause it looks like a disaster zone! Should I make sure to make anything special or do anything to get stuff to carry over?

You can do the challenges if you want, but it's not really necessary unless you play Terra Incognita because nothing carries over on Ch3.

gunstarhero

Been playing on a Pro all week - runs/looks exactly the same. Thankfully this game isn't one of the few games being reported as running worse on Pro.

Seriously, fuck the ghosts. They ONLY put them in the game to fuck with us.

I can also confirm the ghosts are still a bag of dicks. Even on the Pro.

supergiz

Just bought this with my new PS4 Pro. Have to say I love the game so much :). However, noticing a drop in framerate (slight jutter), when rotating the camera. Is anyone else getting this?

Been playing on a Pro all week - runs/looks exactly the same. Thankfully this game isn't one of the few games being reported as running worse on Pro.

I can also confirm the ghosts are still a bag of dicks. Even on the Pro.

Great to hear :). Really looking forward to playing it. Hopefully there is a lot to do after finishing the main story.

Roubjon

Just bought this with my new PS4 Pro. Have to say I love the game so much :). However, noticing a drop in framerate (slight jutter), when rotating the camera. Is anyone else getting this?

That jutter will always be present as long as you have an object highlighted / selected in your inventory. It's a weird bug that's only present in the localized version of the game apparently. Whenever possible I always move to an empty slot in my inventory to prevent it, but I really wish they'd fix it. I doubt they ever will though.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
What are the cons of the Vita version over the PS4 one, other than the obvious graphical quality.

Framerate?

Draw distance?

Framerate, Draw Distance.

Since demos are available you can try out both for yourself to see if the quality of whichever version matches your standards. The US demo is linked in the OT.

Help guys, I tried to find more information on the net but couldn't, how bad is the Vita version compared to the PS4? Is the 30fps actually stable or does it get bad in the late-game?

Thanks in advance.

Roubjon

Help guys, I tried to find more information on the net but couldn't, how bad is the Vita version compared to the PS4? Is the 30fps actually stable or does it get bad in the late-game?

Thanks in advance.

You can download both of the demos to see yourself if you wanted to. Late-game is never any more intensive as early game, so that shouldn't matter.

supergiz

I am really enjoying this. They really underestimated the amount of time it takes to go through each chapter. I believe Chapter 1 is the shortest one and it took me about 10 hours going through it at a leisurely pace.

Already digging Chapter 2 as well. It's a really fresh approach to the Minecraft formula with graphics I can actually appreciate.

Thanks in advance.
The vita version is great, I'm playing that version and would highly recommend it. PS4 version obviously looks and runs better, but the Vita version is stable and looks great for a vita game.

bosh

Vita version works well. PS4 looks prettier obviously but the Vita version plays well and it's a great game to have on the go

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
I love this game. Bought the game on the Vita and it was really good all round.

Doesn't seem like it did too well in the West though. Which is a pity .

Just bought a PS4 Pro and a bunch of games, but I'm looking for something not quite as murderey as what I've been playing (God of War, Bloodborne, CoD, Last of Us)

I played the demo, it was fun. I never played Minecraft and ive only played DQ1, V and a little bit of VII.

Based on this small amount of info, recommended?

Just bought a PS4 Pro and a bunch of games, but I'm looking for something not quite as murderey as what I've been playing (God of War, Bloodborne, CoD, Last of Us)

I played the demo, it was fun. I never played Minecraft and ive only played DQ1, V and a little bit of VII.

i never played minecraft either, and played a bunch of DQ games and i LOVE DQ Builders. if you liked the demo i say go ahead and get it. plenty of DQ charm and just enough tinkering with the games systems to make it enjoyable and has left me badly wanting a sequel (and i haven't even finished it yet).

Opa-Pa

Definitely. I'm not a Minecraft guy, never got into DQ, but loved the demo so I went ahead and bought the full game and I don't regret it one bit. Biggest surprise of the year.

I would recommend this game, Ratchet and Clank and Gravity Rush Remastered.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I kinda stalled out on this game at the first boss fight. Idk... the forced combat encounters kinda suck. I just want to build stuff, that isn't this game, apparently.

Roubjon

CyNLoU3XUAAdqCn.jpg:large

I finally got my Platinum, yay. If I didn't play Bloodborne back in February, this would have the best game I've played all year. And if I had to choose a GOTY it'd be a toss up between this and Overwatch. Hopefully FFXV and The Last Guardian challenge that.

Linkura

So, Amazon currently has the Vita version for $20.

Just bought this for my husband. His lifestyle pretty much makes him portable-only these days, and he liked what he played of the PS4 version. If you've been reading the thread, I quit playing it and resold it. But this is pretty much a rock-bottom price and I had a $3 promo credit for Amazon that made it $17+tax.

They also have the physical PS4 version for $35.

gunstarhero

I think I'm approaching the end of Chapter 3 - while it's my favorite Chapter by far, it seems to really long! Maybe it's partially due to me really building up my base big time, and doing a little experimenting with all the new items.

Anyway - can I expect more in the final chapter? I'm sorting of hoping for a short finale since I'm trying to get it done before FFXV.

Roubjon

I think I'm approaching the end of Chapter 3 - while it's my favorite Chapter by far, it seems to really long! Maybe it's partially due to me really building up my base big time, and doing a little experimenting with all the new items.

Anyway - can I expect more in the final chapter? I'm sorting of hoping for a short finale since I'm trying to get it done before FFXV.

If you focus on the main story, the last chapter is the shortest. For me though, I spent the longest there building my base.

gunstarhero

If you focus on the main story, the last chapter is the shortest. For me though, I spent the longest there building my base.

Good to know - thanks!

I'd hate to rush through it since building is my favorite part - but my backlog is sickening at this point thanks to all those Black Friday deals.

I guess I'll see how it goes once I wrap up Chapter 3.

Just downloaded this today after finding out about the Amazon deal for the digital version on sale for $20. I played through the demo a couple of times before the game came out but was on the fence about getting the PS4 or Vita version at a later date. Glad the the VIta version went on a good sale as I was leaning strongly towards that version (portable but still plays and looks nice).

This damn game is annoyingly addictive! And so much fun...

Lucreto

Nearly finished the game. I just need eat 20 different food stuffs trophy and the 50 different room recipes trophy.

Can these be unlocked in the free play mode or do I need to replay some chapters to get them?

Linkura

My husband is now obsessed with this game. He prefers it on Vita- says it controls smoother for some reason. He's been playing it all day. Really glad he's enjoying it.

SkyOdin

Really finished the game. I just need eat 20 different food stuffs trophy and the 50 different room recipes trophy.

Can these be unlocked in the free play mode or do I need to replay some chapters to get them?
All recipes are available in free mode, so you can get those achievements there. It might be faster to just boot up your finished chapter save files and use what you have already built to get them, though. You start with very little in free build mode and need to put in some effort to get certain resources.

Roubjon

d[-_-]b;225611864 said:
Just picked this up, i'm not what to sure to expect, not big on minecraft.

I don't care about Minecraft at all and loved this game. If you enjoyed building towns in games like Dark Cloud then you will probably enjoy this.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Anybody have issues with the hit detection and the short sword length? This makes combat more of a chore than I would like, especially when fighting bigger enemies (trolls, gigantes). Really my only issue with the game.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Anybody have issues with the hit detection and the short sword length? This makes combat more of a chore than I would like, especially when fighting bigger enemies (trolls, gigantes). Really my only issue with the game.

Yeah thats been in there since the start. Nothing you can really do about it much to our dismay (´д`|||)

vypek

The combat overall could really use some work and the short attack length and hit detection is definitely part of that. If they have a sequel I'd like to see the combat be enhanced since I'm almost sure it would be made necessary again. And I'd also like to be able to view the challenges before a chapters end if they exist.

Megasoum

Banned
I just started playing the game (I'm still building the first blueprint)... Is there a way to make the "placing block" mechanic not super finicky like it is right now? I'm really having a hard time to put a block in a specific spot.

SkyOdin

I just started playing the game (I'm still building the first blueprint)... Is there a way to make the "placing block" mechanic not super finicky like it is right now? I'm really having a hard time to put a block in a specific spot.
If you hold down both R1 and L1, you will maintain your facing as you move around. It is perfect for laying down a row of blocks. Alternatively, if you want to build a two-block high wall, just hold down square and move left, right, or backwards.

Megasoum

Banned
If you hold down both R1 and L1, you will maintain your facing as you move around. It is perfect for laying down a row of blocks. Alternatively, if you want to build a two-block high wall, just hold down square and move left, right, or backwards.

Oh, I knew about looking up or down but not about holding to strafe. Thanks!

Top Bottom