• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest: Builders |OT| - "If you build it, they will come."

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Yay, beat the game, did all the challenges but the speed runs. Got a bit of a scare when
I lost all my items, including about 40 herbs, on the second phase of the Dragonlord

Anyways, I absolutely loved the game. Bear in mind that the original Dragon Warrior was the first RPG I've ever played, so this game had a TON of nostalgia for me. When I first made it to the Dragonlord back in 1989, I made the decision to join him 'just to see what would happen'... now, 27 years later I was able to right that original wrong :) (Of course, the second time I got to the Dragonlord as a kid, I walloped him and beat the game like normal)

vypek

Yay, beat the game, did all the challenges but the speed runs. Got a bit of a scare when
I lost all my items, including about 40 herbs, on the second phase of the Dragonlord

Anyways, I absolutely loved the game. Bear in mind that the original Dragon Warrior was the first RPG I've ever played, so this game had a TON of nostalgia for me. When I first made it to the Dragonlord back in 1989, I made the decision to join him 'just to see what would happen'... now, 27 years later I was able to right that original wrong :) (Of course, the second time I got to the Dragonlord as a kid, I walloped him and beat the game like normal)

Regarding your spoilered bit: I felt the exact same way. I panicked pretty hard lol

crinale

Not bad at all for a modest budget game made by a small team.

I'm assuming that number is shipped + digital sales but it's good number indeed.
And yes the team was so small that they had do disband it immediately after Japanese version gone gold. Niino was tweeting that when Yuji Hori asked SE for balancing patch Niino had nobody but himself so he did all the re-balancing by him alone.

Edit: Some one made a thread about it with an English source.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Good to see that it did well world wide, though was hoping the US numbers would be a bit higher.

Lets hope SQEX is working on a sequel to this already.

I was never into minecraft and anfter seeing people play this on YouTube it looks like a great game. I'll be picking it up soon.

Also, I've never played a dragon quest game before.

Megasoum

Banned
I really love the game but I wish there was some kind of quest log or something.

Coming back to the game after 1-2 days and I'm lost.

I really love the game but I wish there was some kind of quest log or something.

Coming back to the game after 1-2 days and I'm lost.
Just talk to the people who gave you the quest in the first place, they usually tell you in exhaustive detail what they asked for.

There is no real way to track the side quests though, which grinds my gears.

steveovig

Is there anything important that has to do with
re-building the train tracks
in the Chapter 3 overworld? I think I've
re-built
everything but I have no idea how to
ride the mine cart

I'm almost done with chapter 2 and already this game is going down as one of my most favorite games probably of all time. It has a couple of problems (mainly with the camera in close quarters - at least on the Vita version I'm playing) but even on the Vita it looks great, plays great, and is just so much fun. It isn't exactly always an easy game either - definitely "not just for kids".

I will probably get the PS4 version eventually just to replay it on "the big screen".

Anyone know if there is any chance of a sequel? This is too good of a game for Square Enix not to do more with it in the future!

abd

re-built
ride the mine cart

It is used just like the fishing pole.

SkyOdin

re-built
ride the mine cart
Just use the mine cart from your item list while standing next to tracks. Instant high-speed transportation. The tracks you find lying around are more there to steal for your own use than anything else, other than one clearly marked puzzle segment. Tracks can be useful to place if you want to go back to place constantly, and they are particularly useful in free build mode.

Apt101

How many hours is the game if one just goes for the win? I am having a lot of fun but I want to pick up Final Fantasy XV and get started on it. I guess I could juggle both at the same time....

How many hours is the game if one just goes for the win? I am having a lot of fun but I want to pick up Final Fantasy XV and get started on it. I guess I could juggle both at the same time....
It's a pretty long game actually. Even if you just rush the quests, I would say probably...20 hours? I wouldn't recommend doing that though, most of the fun comes from messing around, building out your town, exploring for secrets, etc.

hawk2025

Well, I bought this during Black Friday and it pulled me away from FFXV, Hitman, you name it.

It's a pretty expertly paced take on Minecraft. Very, very good!

Apt101

I really wish I had given my base design more care from the start. I've settled on just building upwards in a winding, tower-type fashion from here on out. The first floor is a mess but it gets pretty solid starting on the second floor.

On Demand

Banned

I'm about to finish chapter 1 and i'm going to do exactly that. I'll start chapter 2 either after i play FF15 for awhile, or i beat it. DQB is a much longer game anyway.

It's a pretty long game actually. Even if you just rush the quests, I would say probably...20 hours? I wouldn't recommend doing that though, most of the fun comes from messing around, building out your town, exploring for secrets, etc.

It has to be longer than that. My first town is nothing too extravagant and i'm well past 50 hours i think. Is there a way to check hours?

So i bought this again the other night, (had the JP ver)

Was surprised to see that the trophy lists are shared, my JP list turned to english, and my JP save file worked!

That usually isnt the case with most games. Nice surprise.

Rizzi

So i bought this again the other night, (had the JP ver)

Was surprised to see that the trophy lists are shared, my JP list turned to english, and my JP save file worked!

That usually isnt the case with most games. Nice surprise.

Finally beat the first chapter, after buying it at launch and getting distracted by every other game that ever existed.
I miss the first area. ;_;

Unknown?

Guys I'm stuck in Ch2! I've saved a lot of people but there are still three that aren't sick and I can't do anything for them. I only have one quest available and it's just that woman asking how the patients are doing. I've done every other quest but I can't proceed.

There is one spot in the red portal where there are a bunch of people laying in a room with one saying he can't trust anyone. It says he needs a note but I have no such note. Where do I get it and is this the way to proceed?

gunstarhero

Guys I'm stuck in Ch2! I've saved a lot of people but there are still three that aren't sick and I can't do anything for them. I only have one quest available and it's just that woman asking how the patients are doing. I've done every other quest but I can't proceed.

There is one spot in the red portal where there are a bunch of people laying in a room with one saying he can't trust anyone. It says he needs a note but I have no such note. Where do I get it and is this the way to proceed?

IIRC, you need to talk to the old alchemist guy in your town - he should have a note. Also be sure you're filling the requests for the people laying in bed (usually they want a particular food).

Unknown?

IIRC, you need to talk to the old alchemist guy in your town - he should have a note. Also be sure you're filling the requests for the people laying in bed (usually they want a particular food).
I've already saved all the ones that can be saved and got them all the food they needed. There are only three left and they just say they can't be helped. The last one was some woman that said she could help with blacksmithing but now when I talk to her all she says is "so this is what a town looks like" or something with no help.

Another guy talks about a dream he had with someone talking to me but then asks why the person in the dream didn't just tell me. The old alchemist doesn't have a note he just talks about that woman who is trying to help save people and how she's been that way since she was little. Then there's a guy who says he bet I could get some work done if I had a workplace with a shop sign and fancy light but I already made that and he still says the same thing. I hope it's not glitched because I don't want to start over!

Shahed

I've already saved all the ones that can be saved and got them all the food they needed. There are only three left and they just say they can't be helped. The last one was some woman that said she could help with blacksmithing but now when I talk to her all she says is "so this is what a town looks like" or something with no help.

Another guy talks about a dream he had with someone talking to me but then asks why the person in the dream didn't just tell me. The old alchemist doesn't have a note he just talks about that woman who is trying to help save people and how she's been that way since she was little. Then there's a guy who says he bet I could get some work done if I had a workplace with a shop sign and fancy light but I already made that and he still says the same thing. I hope it's not glitched because I don't want to start over!

If you've fulfilled all the requests and have all 4 (6?) patients with their bar fully filled after feeding them random stuff, then you may have to sleep once more to progress the story. That guy in the red portal you go to later. Are you absolutely sure you aren'tmissing any patients in either of the portals?

abd

Man the dialog in this chapter can get too real.

Unknown?

If you've fulfilled all the requests and have all 4 (6?) patients with their bar fully filled after feeding them random stuff, then you may have to sleep once more to progress the story. That guy in the red portal you go to later. Are you absolutely sure you aren'tmissing any patients in either of the portals?
Gah I feel stupid I had missed one! But it wasn't marked on the map. I thought they all were marked for that quest? Anyway I got past it and got the green portal. Woot!

abd

So I am Chapter Four and I am searching around for coal and iron to build the furnace. I find a cave and there is a path to the right, but I continue straight. Shortly I came upon a chest which ends up having a long tongue and teeth! Well, with only stone equipment I die, but since tired I just turn off my console. A few days later I fire up the game and go back, but the cavern is now empty.

Has anyone come upon a Mimic? What treasures did I miss out on?

Stencil

Well after pumping a ton of time into the campaign, I finally beat it. I was holding off on the Terra Incongita until I finished the campaign and have a couple questions.

• Where do I build my base? Just... Anywhere?
• For the challenges, in order for them to register after I've beaten a chapter already, should I just reload my save, complete the challenge and beat the boss of the chapter once again? Or does it count it any time I finish it? I'm assuming for the "Beat in x amount of days" I have to restart that whole chapter...

vypek

Well after pumping a ton of time into the campaign, I finally beat it. I was holding off on the Terra Incongita until I finished the campaign and have a couple questions.

• Where do I build my base? Just... Anywhere?
• For the challenges, in order for them to register after I've beaten a chapter already, should I just reload my save, complete the challenge and beat the boss of the chapter once again? Or does it count it any time I finish it? I'm assuming for the "Beat in x amount of days" I have to restart that whole chapter...

Challenges only register when you hit the light beam at the end of the chapter so you do need to fight the boss again. And yes, you'll have to restart the chapter for the number of days challenge.

Challenges only register when you hit the light beam at the end of the chapter so you do need to fight the boss again. And yes, you'll have to restart the chapter for the number of days challenge.
I saved the game post boss and pre entering the light. You can do ch1-3 challenges this way. Ch4 you can't save post boss pre light pillar and will have to fight the boss again.

Freeman76

Still £45 for PS4 version whereas PSV version seem to be sold out. If you only want it physically that is.

Smyths toys have it for 25 quid.

I bought this to play with my kids. They arent interested at all. Im fucking addicted to this game though. 40 years old lol

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
If you build it, they will come... break it.

Because they are jerks.

btw if you go to the Freezeine

https://magazine.dragonquest-game.com/en/02

You'll get the Retro Building Pack
8-Bit Brick Recipe
Eyewall Recipe
Time-Honoured Turf Recipe
Olde Worlde Wall Recipe
Retro Roof Recipe

Hope they kinda push it and for DQB2 we get that multiplayer....well not I. I'm still a one man show (^.^)

Well, this is awesome. You should make a new thread to let people know, they might miss it here (new news new thread, after all)

DQB is Ueda's GotY

dqb3nsp2.png

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/12/22/game-developers-choose-favorite-playstation-games-of-2016/

Hey, random question but any UK folks spotted this available online? Looking around for some games to use my presumed Xmas money on, and I sadly fell deep in a backlog hole when DQB came out - but I literally can't find it in stock on any online retailers. Did it do so well the print run has run out before SE shipped more?

Top Bottom