• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest: Builders |OT| - "If you build it, they will come."

Ashtar

I need some help friends I'm stuck on chapter 1
We got the first portal and did all the side missions except one for pippa, she wants a changing room but for the love of everything we can't get any course clothe! I read that they're rare skeleton drops but we can't get a one! seems ridiculous any help? seems we need to do this mission to progress
Edit: thanks my wife got some but good lord the rarity is sooooo extreme ma gawd!

We got the first portal and did all the side missions except one for pippa, she wants a changing room but for the love of everything we can't get any course clothe! I read that they're rare skeleton drops but we can't get a one! seems ridiculous any help? seems we need to do this mission to progress

Trust me when I say that killing skeletons is pretty much the only way to do it.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!

While its not been 100% confirmed, some JP players believe that using a hammer to defeat them helps with the drop rate.

Pachimari

Hey, random question but any UK folks spotted this available online? Looking around for some games to use my presumed Xmas money on, and I sadly fell deep in a backlog hole when DQB came out - but I literally can't find it in stock on any online retailers. Did it do so well the print run has run out before SE shipped more?

Eh? Amazon UK has it in stock.

Eh? Amazon UK has it in stock.

Hum, I'm only seeing minimum price as £48 from a third party seller (with an unpreferred feedback rating). No stock from Amazon themselves that I can see. Sorry, I meant regular priced stock from an actual retailer, I thought it was inferred but my bad. Game, shopto, tesco, everywhere is out, I just found it pretty surprising. Of course I can pay a lot on ebay or marketplace, but I meant normal buying.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Nothing wrong with going with the Vita version, right?

Not really. Game runs fine for the most part and suspend is nice for on the go play.

Just the usual like draw distance and some other minor things exist.

I have both the ps4 and psv versions.

Jamiaro

Bought this game from the January Sale. Do you guys have any good tips for someone who hasn't touched these types of games before?

Hum, I'm only seeing minimum price as £48 from a third party seller (with an unpreferred feedback rating). No stock from Amazon themselves that I can see. Sorry, I meant regular priced stock from an actual retailer, I thought it was inferred but my bad. Game, shopto, tesco, everywhere is out, I just found it pretty surprising. Of course I can pay a lot on ebay or marketplace, but I meant normal buying.

Not sure if you have a Smyths Toys near to you but they have it for £24.99.

SkyOdin

Bought this game from the January Sale. Do you guys have any good tips for someone who hasn't touched these types of games before?
Dragon Quest Builders is a one of a kind game, so advice for something like Minecraft doesn't really apply. I think it does a pretty good job of teaching the player how it works in the opening tutorial. My only advice is to hold both L1 and R1 if you want to stay facing one direction when placing stuff.

Otherwise, my suggestion is to be ambitious. Building a large and elaborate base is a ton of fun. Don't worry about clearing the chapters quickly on your first attempt.

Finally digging into this past the demo content. Really great! Addictive gathering/crafting/building/exploring cycle. Something about the structure makes it a lot more enjoyable than Minecraft to me. May need to update my GOTY list...

Eusis

Frankly the game does that job on its own well enough. Just remember to use the tools at your disposal I guess and if you think something might be exploitative then go ahead and run with it, the game might actively encourage it.

Alpha_eX

I've been obsessed with this since xmas, I've done very little than build up my town as I'm still on chapter 1 with at least 10 hours into it.

Kills me that there's no way to share my town or invite people to come run around, or is there?

Also, is there a way to change the L2/R2 triggers to shift the item? It kinda breaks the flow having to stop moving to use the dpad and change items or weapons, especially in the heat of battle.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Pippa wants me to cook her something with wheat and meat? I have the BBQ installed but no idea what's next. I do have wheat too. :p
You need to make bread from wheat and obtain meat from the bunny enemies in the desert area to get the Bunny Burger recipe.

Unknown?

Finally digging into this past the demo content. Really great! Addictive gathering/crafting/building/exploring cycle. Something about the structure makes it a lot more enjoyable than Minecraft to me. May need to update my GOTY list...
Same here. Never liked Minecraft for its lack of structure.

Vic_Viper

Is there a free roam mode and/or anything to do after the story mode? I've been on the fence for the game since it came out because I'm worried it would t be as deep as games like minecraft in terms of freedom and longevity.

Is there a free roam mode and/or anything to do after the story mode? I've been on the fence for the game since it came out because I'm worried it would t be as deep as games like minecraft in terms of freedom and longevity.
Yup, free mode is unlocked after the first chapter. Not even necessary to finish the story mode although it's worth it and the whole thing will easily take up 20-40 hours.

Is the story mode worth it because of the story, or the experiences one go through?
The story isn't bad honestly, I found myself growing attached to the characters in my towns. It's not the focus though, and the game is worth it more for the experience of playing it, exploring, and building than for the narrative. The game kind of has it all though, feels very content-rich and robust.

SkyOdin

Is the story mode worth it because of the story, or the experiences one go through?
The story is normal Dragon Quest fare: surprisingly dark and tragic under a seemingly bright and cheery exterior, with likable characters.

The experience of entering into a ruined land, turning it into a city you can be proud of, then turning around and having to say goodbye to it so you can move on to save other lands is really powerful though. That is why I suggest people playing the game for the first time actually invest the energy building stuff in the story chapters. Free build mode doesn't give that same sense of purpose and satisfaction.

Eusis

Ok, that's a little weird. I'd been playing chapter 2 and I had a dream that
the patients that weren't recovering turned into zombies. Then it actually happened in game.

Either that's a creepy coincidence, or so predictable my subconscious picked up on it.

EDIT: More of a funny coincidence than the subconscious filling in for the game however is that I played a bit of DQVII again and I just completed the part where
you have to keep Ygg from being destroyed so it can grow into Yggdrasil in the present. At the same time when the tree becomes relevant in DQB, of course.

Blinck

Hey guys, a quick question regarding this game:

Is this a relaxed game? I'm looking for a really zen game. I'm also looking into Stardew Valley which seems super relaxing, but the art direction doesn't really grab me, while this game looks beautiful. Are there similarities in the "relaxing" gameplay?

thanks!

gunstarhero

Hey guys, a quick question regarding this game:

Is this a relaxed game? I'm looking for a really zen game. I'm also looking into Stardew Valley which seems super relaxing, but the art direction doesn't really grab me, while this game looks beautiful. Are there similarities in the "relaxing" gameplay?

thanks!

It's literally half and half. Night time and bosses are definitely not zen-like.

dru2v4y.jpg

A fro-yo chain, Menchies, is doing a Dragon Quest Builders promo.

There's a sweepstakes for some prizes, but also they're giving away codes for Gold Golem and Skeleton Soldier battle tickets and a "Priest Blueprint" (a statue, maybe?). You can sign up here to have the code emailed to you:

https://registrationinfo.net/dqbsweeps

Shin-Ra

I've been glued to this for the last 10 days and just platinumed the game. It's top 10, probably in my top 5 best games for 2016.

I took my time first go on each chapter so had to replay them all for the 20/30 days targets, chapter 4 turned out to be the easiest!
That's with one accidental press X for menu when standing next to a bed, sleep, too!

hichanbis

Banned
Reached second village attack in chapter 2.
This game is good, however it's a shame how it could have been awesome with just few little tweaks.

- A dodge/block capability in combat
- Harder difficulty
- Increased size of towns (like twice at the very least or an increasing size over time)
- Different control mappings : use L2/R2 (Vita I know...), jump with X, etc.

- Bonus: Local co-op to make it GOTY

Bliddo

Reached second village attack in chapter 2.
This game is good, however it's a shame how it could have been awesome with just few little tweaks.

- A dodge/block capability in combat
- Harder difficulty

Yeah, coupled with better range or at least no damage when you touch an enemy.

vypek

Yeah, coupled with better range or at least no damage when you touch an enemy.

Yeah. I had a ton of damage that I got from accidentally bumping into enemies. Combat changes would be appreciated since its kind of important to the game.

Shin-Ra

I'd also like to swing my tool while moving ;) Like the more recent Zelda's.

The game has the same issue as small-Knack where it's hard to judge the reach of the short melee range, then combine that with the unclear enemy hitbox.

Vic_Viper

Just finished building the girls only room, killing a scorpion, and started building a defensive wall for my base in the first chapter. How much more do I need to do before I can move on lol?

Really want to start making my own base but this first chapter feels like it's taking forever!

Also is there a dodge/roll? I just got the circle slash attack, but I really need an option to get out of the way from attacks quickly. Any tips for the combat?

Shin-Ra

No teleportal - first teleportal - second teleportal - third teleportal

Each of these stages is roughly a quarter of the chapter.

Alpha_eX

On the third chapter and loving this game, though really wish the little ghost pricks would fuck off when I'm trying to build!

To the person asking, this isn't a zen game, you have to go out and do a lot of quests which involve combat, dying while out and warping back to town, with half your goods, is frustrating.

I highly recommend this game though, was a steal at £25!

Welp, just finished up chapter 4. No speedrun challenge, yet; took my sweet time decking out my base.

It was an immensely satisfying game, and I'm almost sad to leave Tantegel. Thought I wouldn't go overboard for this chapter, but the temptation was too hard to resist. Barely finished, as the decoration count got capped.

Terra Incognita is nice, but just doesn't scratch the same itch.

Roubjon

Welp, just finished up chapter 4. No speedrun challenge, yet; took my sweet time decking out my base.

It was an immensely satisfying game, and I'm almost sad to leave Tantegel. Thought I wouldn't go overboard for this chapter, but the temptation was too hard to resist. Barely finished, as the decoration count got capped.

What an awesome castle, nice job! I've hardly touched Terra Incognita for the same reason.

I've cleared the first two chapters with just 2 block walls, well up untill the condor that is.
Isn't the camera annoying when using multiple floors and more complex building? :p

SkyOdin

Wow, that's a nice castle! I ended up getting frustrated with Tantegel, since it is a much more guided town than the others, but it looks like you took some liberties with it and made it your own.

I agree about Terra Incognita. I think the limitations and purpose of the story chapters actually work out better for me. I made one huge project in Terra Incognita to share then lost steam with the game. It just isn't the same without likable NPCs to build houses for.

I've cleared the first two chapters with just 2 block walls, well up untill the condor that is.
Isn't the camera annoying when using multiple floors and more complex building? :p
Taller walls help. Three blocks of empty space is what I consider the bare minimum of height for an interior space. Four or five blocks works even better if you have the materials and ambition.

Maligna

Banned
My wife is on chapter 2 and she's fairly frustrated. What's the best way to deal with all the poison in this chapter?

Also, there's some sort of slug or something spitting poison globs at here and she doesn't know how to deal with it. If I knew exactly what the thing was called I'd google it, but I have no idea what to search.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I've found that if you reset the camera when entering a tight space with a low roof, it functions well enough.

vypek

My wife is on chapter 2 and she's fairly frustrated. What's the best way to deal with all the poison in this chapter?

Also, there's some sort of slug or something spitting poison globs at here and she doesn't know how to deal with it. If I knew exactly what the thing was called I'd google it, but I have no idea what to search.

Those enemies are sort of slow moving, right? If I am remembering correctly that is. Pretty sure you can sort of flank them. I believe in that chapter that they might also drop pieces for a healing creme recipe

SkyOdin

That enemy is called a Droll, if I remember correctly. They are dangerous at long-range thanks to their poison spit, but are not so bad at close range. Attacking them from the flanks helps, just keep moving around them.

Chapter 2 has a really tough start, but I think it gets easier after the initial hurdles.

I have earth walls everywhere. Is there an easy way to change them all to a stone wall type, for example, or do I have to manually destroy and replace?

Top Bottom