• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest Builders screenshots

Aeana

Not the first time I haven't been interested in a DQ spinoff, but I really can't get into building games.

I'm surprised by how much more appealing this looks to me than Minecraft. Amazing what a few visual tweaks, more detailed characters and a switch to third person can do.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
This is such a balant rip-off! I love it. I need to play this. Such a wonderful thing, this is.

Cmagus

I'm surprised by how much more appealing this looks to me than Minecraft. Amazing what a few visual tweaks, more detailed characters and a switch to third person can do.

I've been playing Minecraft for years and although I still really enjoy it, it has become a bit stale at this point.This type of game is what I look for when I think of Minecraft being upgraded but the problem with many of these games is they don't capture the charm and wonder and most of all fun of Minecraft so I really hope this can because it looks great. I just hope they don't try an over complicate things.

I really hope there is a multiplayer component to this. It would be great to work on a project with some friends or if they do have some sort of defense portion of the game multiplayer could make a huge world of difference.

The thing that will sell the game to me is knowing if the last screenshot has NPCs or multiplayer... And what kind of NPCs they are if so.

Also the battle system, but I don't think it's hard to make something better than Minecraft...

Xater

The thing that will sell the game to me is knowing if the last screenshot has NPCs or multiplayer... And what kind of NPCs they are if so.

Also the battle system, but I don't think it's hard to make something better than Minecraft...

It's definitely NPCs, becasue you rebuild the city so people can live there again.

From what I can tell, it won't be based on straight up action but rather traps (like with those spikes in the picture). Since he can't just spam attack due to his shit breaking, it means players will have to use other means to score kills. And I bet the camp comes into play as well.

Biggest question is, how is this shit going to be balanced? Say my hammer breaks. Now I can't mine for materials to defend myself. Is it on a cooldown timer? Do I need to buy many? How then do I get back to town? Is it with fast travel or do I have to hoof it?

Arkeband

Banned
Here's what I can gather from those shots.

- You can mine stuff, but you need a mallet with a degradation meter to do so
- Enemies are thankfully not just a block...thing.
- The mushroom guys possibly could be deconstructing your shit, so maybe there's a tower defense element?
- Your camp has different levels. Wonder what that entails?
- I see plants and tomatoes in the inventory boxes. Farming confirmed?
- Here's a huge difference from other DH games or other MC games - you can't fight very well. From those spikes and traps in the boxes, it looks like you'll probably rely on setups to take down monsters.
- You can level up your guy. HP is different between two of the shots.

So while it has elements of MC big time, it has enough differences to set itself apart. I'm very curious to see how the crafting, building, and tower defense like systems will play out.

Mushroom guys?

Sir, Dragon Quest has no Mushroom Guys.

Cmagus

From what I can tell, it won't be based on straight up action but rather traps (like with those spikes in the picture). Since he can't just spam attack due to his shit breaking, it means players will have to use other means to score kills. And I bet the camp comes into play as well.

Biggest question is, how is this shit going to be balanced? Say my hammer breaks. Now I can't mine for materials to defend myself. Is it on a cooldown timer? Do I need to buy many? How then do I get back to town? Is it with fast travel or do I have to hoof it?

You'll most likely need to craft new stuff. I imagine the hammer isn't the default digging weapon I mean they have to give you something to start off with that can't break ever or else you wouldn't even be able to start the game. I would think things like the hammer are used to break certain blocks or it just makes breaking them faster much like the different types of pick axes in Minecraft.

Seeing what they do with travel will be interesting.I honestly hope they keep teleporting out of the game or limited though I mean part of the danger in a game like Minecraft is knowing how far you can go out and that you are properly equipped.

Looking at the screenshots I'm wondering if the NPC vendors are used for earning some sort of currency to upgrade your camp,.possibly being able to see stuff to villiager NPC characters that increases some sort of funding to purchase other upgrades or something.

Well based on screenshots alone you could easily draw that conclusion.

I can see that, but it is so redundant. It is like going into any military themed FPS shooter and leaving a biting comment observing that it is similar to Call of Duty.

Minecraft has trees that are made out of blocks. Which is a big difference since they can therefore be scaled/built on.

The combat and monsters in this also look much different. Minecraft doesn't have any sort of (game system based) town building in its vanilla mode, although it does have NPC towns. It seems like this game will have a focus on town building (leveling up your towns, etc), more NPC interaction (guessing it is similar to Terraria in how you can attract shopkeepers, etc.), and more of a focus on combat/defense. The monster variety will likely be pretty big, judging by these screenshots.

The terrain looks a little flat and I'm not too keen on the presentation and texture work, but this has a lot of potential. I wish they opted for a more cohesive art style, more blocky enemy designs. (Kind of wished for the 3D dot heroes style)

duckroll

Here's what I can gather from those shots.

- Here's a huge difference from other DH games or other MC games - you can't fight very well. From those spikes and traps in the boxes, it looks like you'll probably rely on setups to take down monsters.

I doubt this is the case. Traps are always an option in building games, but you have normal weapons too. In the town building screen you can see that the mallet isn't the only weapon, there's an axe too. There'll likely be a wide variety of weapons and tools, players who want to do direct combat will not be held back.

Pandacon

I like to see some footage for this game.

I am interested in this game, I think there is a lot that can be improved off the minecraft model, so I don't mind seeing other companies taking a stab at this genre.

I doubt this is the case. Traps are always an option in building games, but you have normal weapons too. In the town building screen you can see that the mallet isn't the only weapon, there's an axe too. There'll likely be a wide variety of weapons and tools, players who want to do direct combat will not be held back.

Damn, how could I miss that? I hope traps won't be a weaker thing but a viable option.

clem84

Gold Member
Looks nice. Very promising. Not sure how likely this is to be localized. I'd probably get it if it were.

kollapse

Neo Member
I love Dragon Quest so much, but I just don't 'get' the Minecraft style of game; I'm probably too old and jaded or uncreative. I know I probably won't enjoy it, but I feel compelled to at least try it because... Dragon Quest.

Berordn

Mushrooms?! Those are evil hell-spawn!

(To be fair I thought he was referring to the Hammerhoods in the first picture.)

He probably was actually, just being pedantic (though thanks for pointing them out because I glanced over them and actually didn't see them at all).

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Graphically, it looks MUCH nicer than Minecraft. Like I said, I've never played Minecraft before but a DQ coat of paint would be enough to get me to give it a chance. I'm hoping there's at least a linear storyline and a goal to follow, 'sandbox' games with no point bore me easily.

Undubbed

Biggest problem I had with Minecraft was that the survival mode was kind of shallow in my experience. There's not many enemies and the fights with those enemie sucked and it didn't take much thought or creativity to build something that protects against them. So I really hope this game expands on that and make enemies an actual threat enough that you have to be creative by need, as opposed to minecraft's creativity for creativity's sake.

Ferr986

Seeing what they do with travel will be interesting.I honestly hope they keep teleporting out of the game or limited though I mean part of the danger in a game like Minecraft is knowing how far you can go out and that you are properly equipped.

I agree. It's cool in Minecraft when you go so far that you can't get back to your house before nighttime, so you have to build a tiny house and a bed really fast so you're safe from night enemies.

I wonder if there's dangerous enemies spawning at night like Minecraft too....

Wiggy

Dragon's Quest Builders: Minecraft, but much better.

sddefault.jpg

RangerBAD

I feel better about this game with it looking more like Dragon Quest. To me, it's not fun just building for the sake of building. I need direction.

SerTapTap

If it's got proper combat and some quest structure I could be a lot more interested in this than minecraft, since building anything more than a nice home isn't really my thing (this is why I greatly preferred terraria). Hope it has good environment variety though.

Man those enemies look out of place though. At least the textures are nice even if the blockiness looks a bit eh. Why no slopes?

Top Bottom