• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest Convention in Europe (Switzerland, May 28-29) [surprise, it's a hoax]

Site went up: http://www.swissgamerszone.ch/dqc2016/

Info came early by a guy from dragon's den here.

Stuff that may be of interest to many:

Games area:

- The demo of Dragon Quest VII will be available on Nintendo 3DS Pre-E3 preview
- Dragon Quest Heroes 2 playable for the first time in Europe on PS4
- Dragon Quest Monsters Joker playable on Nintendo 3DS
- Dragon Quest Builders playable on PS4
- 3DS Street Pass and exchange dens card for Dragon Quest IX

As always, take with a grain of salt because I am not sure if this is even official information. But I thought it's worth a look.

Ydelnae

Heroes 2 and Builders having a playable demo gave me a little bit of hope but then I read about Joker 3DS also being playable and it just crushed. I can't see any more 3DS other than VII and VIII coming over, but I still think Builder has a chance.

EDIT: Official info from the convention site:

Secteur Jeux vidéo

Le secteur jeux vidéo vous proposera des démos exclusives vous permettant de découvrir les futurs opus de la saga sortie et à venir au Japon.

En collaboration avec Nintendo
La démo de Dragon Quest VII sera disponible sur Nintendo 3DS en avant-première Pré-E3
Street Pass 3DS et échange de carte d’antres pour Dragon Quest IX
Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 1-2-3 jouable sur Nintendo 3DS

En collaboration avec Sony :
Dragon Quest Heroes 2 jouable pour la première fois sur PS4 en Europe
Dragon Quest Builders jouable sur PS4

So yeah, seems like DQVII will be the localized EUR version, Builders and the Joker games will be the japanese versions and Heroes 2 will have debut a new demo in there.

Heroes 2 and Builders having a playable demo gave me a little bit of hope but then I read about Joker 3DS also being playable and it just crushed. I can't see any more 3DS other than VII and VIII coming over, but I still think Builder has a chance.

If this convention is in Europe they'll probably have builds playable in English (or French since it's in Swizerland & the site is French).

Edit: It's also weird that it's listed as "Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 1-2-3", sounds like a compilation release including Joker 1&2? Weird that they would even take the time to remake those.

androvsky

Was Builders ever officially confirmed for localization? I tried the Japanese demo on a whim and got majorly sucked into it.

:(

Sad thing is my wife's two favorite series are the Atelier games and Dragon Quest, and somehow it's the Atelier games we never have to worry about getting localized.

edit: YAY
Secteur Jeux vidéo

Le secteur jeux vidéo vous proposera des démos exclusives vous permettant de découvrir les futurs opus de la saga sortie et à venir au Japon.

En collaboration avec Nintendo
La démo de Dragon Quest VII sera disponible sur Nintendo 3DS en avant-première Pré-E3
Street Pass 3DS et échange de carte d’antres pour Dragon Quest IX
Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 1-2-3 jouable sur Nintendo 3DS

En collaboration avec Sony :
Dragon Quest Builders jouable sur PS4

MLH

Dragon Quest Monsters Joker playable on Nintendo 3DS

Huh, Joker 3 is coming? This would be amazing, I know Joker 1 + 2 sold like shit in the west but they're good pokemon-like games. Other than the 'edgy' aesthetic of the MC in the joker games, I really enjoy the games.

Joker 3 localization confirmed? As well as Builders, but there weren't any doubt about the latter.

It would seem so if true, though no official announcement yet. I can't imagine why they would bring these games for a show in Europe if they had no intentions of localizing them.

FWIW Heroes II does not have a confirmed localization either.

joker localized whoa whoaaaaaaa
Joker 3, Builders and Heroes 2 having playable demos doesn't mean anything. I've attended conventions that had japanese demos of games that ended up not coming over. Don't take this as a confirmation or as a hint to these games coming over.

o-oh

zeox

I'm just desperate for more info on XI at this point. Builders and Heroes 2 would be great and all, but I need XI in my life

Ydelnae

Joker 3, Builders and Heroes 2 having playable demos doesn't mean anything. I've attended conventions that had japanese demos of games that ended up not coming over. Don't take this as a confirmation or as a hint to these games coming over.

Wait, I'm confused? Heroes 2, Builders, and Joker 3 were never confirmed for an international release. Does this indirectly confirm localizations?

Edit:
Ah, I see. So this may just be for show to importers?

Well, given how it is worded, at least Heroes II is confirmed to come:

Joqu

I'm gonna assume it's just japanese demos that won't mean anything.

But hey, maybe this is panning out after all:

Dragon-Quest-Monsters-Joker-3_2016_02-17-16_001.jpg

Ydelnae

Well, given how it is worded, at least Heroes II is confirmed to come:

The game comes out a week after this convention takes place. I think this just means that S-E is providing an early copy/exclusive demo for them to display. The game "will be playable for the first time in PS4 in EU" because, technically, I couldn't be played beforehand.

EDIT: I was wrong, Heroes 2 comes out 3 days before this convention is held, so is likely they just have a japanese copy from import sites, like Builders and Joker 3.

The game comes out a week after this convention takes place. I think this just means that S-E is providing an early copy/exclusive demo for them to display. The game "will be playable for the first time in PS4 in EU" because, technically, I couldn't be played beforehand.

Fair enough. They should have worded Joker 3 and Builders demo as well, though.

Well in any case it's nice to have the games playable in some form without importing them from Japan. I will be in Europe in that period, will see if I can manage a trip to Switzerland.

Also I am wondering about those streetpass features for a DS game like IX, I don't know if this has happened ever before.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Meetings to exchange DQ IX data were a pretty big thing back after that game came out. Getting the good grottos was no joke.

androvsky

You're probably right, but the phrasing of "En collaboration avec" Sony and Nintendo makes it sound slightly more official.

Katsuragi

Whoa, didn't expect a Dragon Quest convention to be hold here in Switzerland of all places. I'll have to make sure to visit Biel in May!

Edit: Looks like it's a hoax! What a bummer...

Jucksalbe

Banned
Hopefully someone remembers to bring a Japanese 3DS for the Joker demo.

Also, I'm pretty confused about this. But if we get a localization announcement of any of these games out of it, I'm all for it.

Ydelnae

So it's not official...?

The event seems to be official, as it has the collaboration from both Sony, Nintendo, S-E and special messages from Hori and Toriyama. It's just that there being demos for japanese games doesn't mean that they have the intention to bring those games over.

Any guesses when we will see DQXI next? I'm guessing after DQ Heroes II releases...

TGS. There's a chance that, if S-E is doing their own E3 conference this year again, they might confirm that it's coming overseas. But I don't expect to see any new footage soon.

salromano

I'll hit up Square Enix and see what I can get out of them as far as confirmations go. Hopefully DQH2 is at least confirmed, because by May 28, it will have been out in Japan for a couple days in Euro time, so wording it like that is weird.

Faustek

Nice, nice. Wasn't expecting this ao soon but he'll yeah.

Screw salt. I've swallowed bigger crap before and I'm still alive (๑•̀ㅂ•́)و✧

It seems really weird and pointless to be showing off games that they have no intention to localize. I hope there's a good turnout to show them that Western fans want DQH2, DQB, and DQMJ3.

18-Volt

I was expecting DQH2 and DQB to be confirmed for western release at same time, maybe this could be the place. I'll be a very sad person when they announce localization for both only for PS4, sans Vita.

Ydelnae

I was expecting DQH2 and DQB to be confirmed for western release at same time, maybe this could be the place. I'll be a very sad person when they announce localization for both only for PS4, sans Vita.

If they come over, expect them to be PS4 & Steam releases. Don't hold hope for VITA support from S-E other than World of FF.

Dragon Quest IX would have been killer if streetpass had been a thing back then. A lot of those functions on the DS were heavily muted since you had to have the correct cart in your system right then and suspended to make it work. Conventions were apperently a big exception for those functions, and years after the gsme released, people were still planning Nintendo World Store grotto meetups in NYC.

I'm of course looking forward to DQ7 info and more.

Faustek

Was Street pass ever a thing here? I mean sure I can walk to the Nintendo Zone and get some but even if I ride the tube nothing, walk around town for a few hours nothing. Heck I can count all "normal" Street passes I've gotten in years on my hands.

Was Street pass ever a thing here? I mean sure I can walk to the Nintendo Zone and get some but even if I ride the tube nothing, walk around town for a few hours nothing. Heck I can count all "normal" Street passes I've gotten in years on my hands.

Depending on what I'm doing with my day I've gotten a decent amount. I do happen to live near a city with a major university in its downtown though, so that helps a lot when I'm in that area.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Dragon Quest IX would have been killer if streetpass had been a thing back then. A lot of those functions on the DS were heavily muted since you had to have the correct cart in your system right then and suspended to make it work. Conventions were apperently a big exception for those functions, and years after the gsme released, people were still planning Nintendo World Store grotto meetups in NYC.

I'm of course looking forward to DQ7 info and more.

Streetpass was basically added to the 3DS because of how successful DQ9 was. I know its not even the first SE game to have a feature like that but its clear which one actually took off.

I am a bit confused : Is it a "fan made" event where you will find mostly japanese games (and maybe they are lucky enough to have an early demo of VII in english) or something more official that could mean some games are coming here...?

I am a bit confused : Is it a "fan made" event where you will find mostly japanese games (and maybe they are lucky enough to have an early demo of VII in english) or something more official that could mean some games are coming here...?

It seems like it's an official event. They say that the demos are presented by Sony and Nintendo. And the only way I could see them getting an English DQ7 demo is if Nintendo were on board. I doubt they'd give some random fan event a demo.

Top Bottom