• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest IX nearly finished.. And more Wii software!

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Himuro said:
What is so wrong with DQVIII's menu interface. People complain about it but I like it a lot. Past DQ menu interfaces are annoying.
wut? the old DQ menu interface might be plain and dull, but it's very easy to navigate in and it loads instantly!

it takes like 4-5 seconds prolly more for the DQ8 NA menu interface to load which is beyond annoying

Aeana

Himuro said:
In DQV, it takes me forever to take things I want out of the storage for instance. The interface is outdated. DQVIII's made it modern and user friendly.

DQ8NA's made it clunky some sometimes unintuitive (zoom menu?). The problem with DQ5's is just that the cursor never remembers its position. In DQ7, the cursor remembers its position during certain operations, so moving items around from person to person, or from person to the bag is very quick. Item management in DQ7 is probably the most efficient I've ever seen in a game.

They actually took a step back in DQ8J, because the cursor doesn't remember its position when trading items. :(

Error

Aeana said:
DQ8NA's made it clunky some sometimes unintuitive (zoom menu?). The problem with DQ5's is just that the cursor never remembers its position. In DQ7, the cursor remembers its position during certain operations, so moving items around from person to person, or from person to the bag is very quick. Item management in DQ7 is probably the most efficient I've ever seen in a game.

They actually took a step back in DQ8J, because the cursor doesn't remember its position when trading items. :(
I think there was cursor memory for battles too in DQ7, made battles ridiculously fast.

lastendconductor

Put your snobby liquids into my mouth!
zoku88 said:
I wonder: would you guys prefer, for future localizations for console DQ games, that they include the orchestrated music and dubbing, or would you rather them take less time and bring us the original product?
The VA and soundtrack of the western DQ were AWESOME! I'll wait all that's needed... but we're not getting these things on the DS anyway.

Aeana

zoku88 said:
I wonder: would you guys prefer, for future localizations for console DQ games, that they include the orchestrated music and dubbing, or would you rather them take less time and bring us the original product?

The voice acting added a lot to DQ8. It was a very, very welcome addition (and I'd already played the Japanese version a few times through before I played that one). The orchestrated music, on the other hand... not so much. They were taken directly from the Symphonic Suite CD, which was recorded very poorly. So not only was the music not recorded to be used in the game, it wasn't even recorded very well to begin with.

If a future DQ game used orchestrated music, and it was the quality that's found in DQ5 PS2, then I'd love that. But odds are, for a localization job, they'd have to take the music from other source, and it wouldn't be recorded specifically for the game... so it'd sound half-assed, like it did in DQ8NA.

jeremy1456

DKnight said:
The VA and soundtrack of the western DQ were AWESOME! I'll wait all that's needed... but we're not getting these things on the DS anyway.

Do you honestly care that much about these things anyway?

DQVIII has spoiled people. Honestly these things made the game feel less like a Dragon Quest game to me.

lastendconductor

Put your snobby liquids into my mouth!
jeremy1456 said:
Do you honestly care that much about these things anyway?
Well I honestly do... I played tons of jRPGs with so bad VA that I would've preferred to play them in mute, but DQVIII was awesome, I burst in laughter a handful of times just by hearing king Trode speak :lol
And I found the orchestrated soundtrack great as well.

birdchili

dq:viii had a great voice cast. it suited the aesthetic well, and was solid across the board. i can't, off the top of my head, think of another rpg where i've happily left the english language track on for the entire experience.

that said, i don't consider voiced dialog at-all necessary for an rpg. text boxen are far superior to most of the voicings we get. i quite like a japanese voice option too (which i don't understand), rather than a badly-done english one.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
DQ8 probably has the best English voice acting out of any RPG. FF12 would be second, and TOTA would be the distant third...

ethelred

djtiesto said:
DQ8 probably has the best English voice acting out of any RPG. FF12 would be second, and TOTA would be the distant third...

I'd actually go with Final Fantasy XII first, Dragon Quest VIII second. Either way, though, they're both clearly hallmarks in English voice acting -- really spectacular all around.

Error

djtiesto said:
P3 VA is better than ToTA, Abyss VA wasnt bad tho.

Top Bottom