• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest IX Screens!

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
BobFromPikeCreek said:
Turn based RPGs are nigh-extinct? Seriously?
Nobody likes turn-based anymore. :(

Wollan said:
Am I missing something? I thought it was more Diablo esque but this looks turn based.
Yes, random encounters are gone but turn based is back.

Jiggy

BobFromPikeCreek said:
Turn based RPGs are nigh-extinct? Seriously?
In the sense that they don't carry much sway in today's gaming world. They're still made--not going to dispute that--but so are space shooters and those aren't mistaken for having prominence. Whatever the case, turn-based RPGs aren't in the same kind of category as, say, racing games or first-person shooters.

Eteric Rice

Wollan said:
So this is a recent change right? The first time we saw this game it was more like Diablo if I'm not wrong?

Yes, but Japan wanted to kill Hori, so they went back to the turn based.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
I remember the second I found out that they had gone back to turn-based.

S-E decided to reverse the best decision they've made in years. :'(

sleeping_dragon said:
ps1 can render more beautiful graphic than those shots.
Wait a sec, let's stand back and look at these pearls of knowledge.
Halo 3 is anything but look goods, it got good MP gameplay but when it come to graphic is in the middle of the list.
oh please!! those [Halo 3 pics] are bullshots.
seriously i dont want to start a war or anything, this is just out of curiosity, but who here think the MGS franchise is better than the Halo franchise?
Krazy Kaz and Ken delivered again !
Killzone 2 is the Beatles !!
My mind reels from the insight.

m_b5e5d2013748fc289587372623dbaa29.gif

Bravo sir, bravo.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
2008 goty and best handheld game ever, FACT.

cannot wait for this shit.

d11.jpg

love that shot.

Error

I think this looks better than ToI imo, towns look more alive with more NPC plus your party members are always visible. ToI looks good but DQ9 is still the DS game to beat when it comes to graphics imo.

duckroll

jj984jj said:
Anti-fact! Random encounters need to die.

Lost Odyssey is shit confirmed. :(

Error said:
I think this looks better than ToI imo, towns look more alive with more NPC plus your party members are always visible. ToI looks good but DQ9 is still the DS game to beat when it comes to graphics imo.

How do you know? Have you seen DQ9 in motion? Maybe that's why they're hiding it from public view. :p

Zilch

Banned
I like the look of DQIX more than the IV remake. 3D on the DS looks fine if done well (like SquareEnix-well).

ethelred

Error said:
Level 5 has no say whatsoever where the series ends up.

Although considering every self-published game they've announced so far has also wound up on the DS, hey, maybe they'd still pick it even if they did have some say.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
The fact that the game was changed to turn-based is news to me! This definitely rejuvenates my faith in this game. When i heard they were making it action it made me feel like they were stripping out the game's depth.

ILL2 said:
dragon quest IX on ds hurts my heart :( Please, level 5, dragon quest on console only

The only console that has a shot now would be the Wii.

But who cares - portable RPGs are awesome, and we need more of them.

Error

ethelred said:
Although considering every self-published game they've announced so far has also wound up on the DS, hey, maybe they'd still pick it even if they did have some say.
I just cant believe people still havent gotten over the fact that DQ9 is on a handheld, ridiculous. after almost a year, people still cry over it.

NolbertoS

Holy ****. All this turn-based negativity, seems the WRPG fanboys are out in force. I'm glad that DQ is keeping to it's roots, as turn-based appeals more to me than ARPG's, but that doesn't mean I won't diss ARPG's as I don't like them as much. Glad that Japanese DQ fanboys rose up again Hori for wanting to tinker with the battle mechanics. I wish S-E would redo DQ 1 - 6 now entirely in 3-D, rather than just DQ IV to VI.

Error

yes, they canned the whole thing and started over from 0 just because the battles are now turn based.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Come to papa.
ILL2 said:
surely, you're not serious
'bout which part, the portable or the Wii? Both are true anyway, but who needs to worry?

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Every fuckin RPG thread I swear. Hell, I still don't like DQ9 on DS but I quit bitchin' about it long ago. Let it go people. The rest of you, stop feeding the morons.

Now, lets get this thread back on track about how DQ4 DS looks much better than DQ9. <dodges projectiles> :lol

Top Bottom