• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest music composer, Koichi Sugiyama, world’s oldest videogame composer.

If I am a rich old man who actively uses my influence and wealth to promote political views which are to the detriment of the moral fiber of society and an insult to all neighboring nations, yes I think you should.

Not just that duck, but to the hundreds of thousands of people who were murdered, enslaved, and raped - the facts of history is all they have. Us learning about the atrocities that have been committed to them is the only thing that keeps the memories of what they went through alive. This guy, and anyone like him - who wishes to rewrite history takes that one thing away from them.

Revising history inappropriately is a dangerous thing. And those who make any attempt to so must be stopped at all costs. I think both the German and Japanese government have been doing a decent job of that.

OmegaDL50

I find it a bit strange some think his music can no longer be enjoyed or is tainted as such.That's their prerogative I suppose. I think it just narrows down to some folks being unable to separate the work itself from the individual.

He has made some of my favorite soundtracks is one thing I'll say for sure. I don't care much for his political views or beliefs.

He isn't the first terrible person that is involved in the creation something people enjoy. I think it's fair he's rightfully criticized for certain views, but It's not going to make me start hating his music because I'm capable separate the work from the individual.

KyleCross

I find it a bit strange some think his music can no longer be enjoyed or is tainted as such.That's their prerogative I suppose. I think it just narrows down to some folks being unable to separate the work itself from the individual.

He has made some of my favorite soundtracks is one thing I'll say for sure. I don't care much for his political views or beliefs.

He isn't the first terrible person that is involved in the creation something people enjoy. I think it's fair he's rightfully criticized for certain views, but It's not going to make me start hating his music because I'm capable separate the work from the individual.

I think there's more of us who still can and do appreciate his work despite him being a piece of shit human being than not. Credit to how good the music is, I guess. Dragon Quest VIII is my favorite game of all time (note the avatar) and its soundtrack is incredible. I still think that, and probably will always think that, while at the same time condemning the author.

The reason why so many of us talk about it and don't just focus on his music is because of just how extremely terrible what he does in regards to his "beliefs" is, and it also educates others by us talking about it. Go through the thread and you'll see people who had no idea he did these things before we talked about it in this thread. Now they know, and the more people who do the better. This kind of shit can't be tolerated. The more it is tolerated, the closer it can get to actually rewriting history.

Acosta

I always separate the artist from the person, I have zero interest in the politician views of Sugiyama and I wouldn't even know them if people were so insistent in pointing them out.

For me, Sugiyama will always mean godly and memorable soundtracks, nothing more. Hope he have a few more in him yet.

1upsuper

Fuck I almost had a heart attack reading the first half of this thread title.

Me too. Damn.

Anyhow, Sugiyama is my favorite video game composer. Very few even come close, IMO. I grew up hearing his music and I love it dearly to this day. Dragon Quest and gaming owes a debt to his incredible work.

I think that's a shitty view. Should i derail every thread you post in because you hold a view I find shitty?

I mean Jesus, people, let's just be happy for him in this thread about his achievements and pile shit on him elsewhere.
We're not talking about someone who just has a debatable or odd stance on a political issue.

We're talking about someone who has used his money that he got from his achievements to actively fight against the recognition of the Rape of Nanking and comfort women. You can't separate his achievements from that.
I always separate the artist from the person, I have zero interest in the politician views of Sugiyama and I wouldn't even know them if people were so insistent in pointing them out.

For me, Sugiyama will always mean godly and memorable soundtracks, nothing more. Hope he have a few more in him yet.
I too like to stick my head in the sand.

I wish there wasn't a defense force for threadshitting. I could go the rest of my life without knowing what his political views are.
You'd prefer to not know if someone has abhorrent moral views? That he uses his money for shitty ends wouldn't perhaps influence your personal financial support of him?

Having recently gotten into Dragon Quest, this is all very disappointing to learn. I think I'll be able to disassociate it from the games, but I won't be forgetting it anytime soon.

I really like his work prior knowing that he is a revisionist. After learning about his stance, I was so disappointed that I deny to give him credit. I believe art is an expression of the author's personality and thinking, they contain the soul of the author, even it is a tainted one. Writing off the Nanking Massacre is a massive insult to all the people and countries involved and simply cannot be ignored or forgotten. I still remember this guy publicly talked about his political stance even during the DQXI reveal stream. This fucking guy brings this distorted thoughts into a videogame series which supposed to be lighthearted and fun.

Fuck this guy.

I wish there wasn't a defense force for threadshitting.

Bringing up that somebody is an apologist for war crimes is not threadshitting in a thread about a content-free, fluff award being given to the person, so maybe recalibrate the sensor a bit there.

Syril

On one level, I have a degree of sympathy for the circumstances he grew up in. Being 14 when World War II ended would be a great way to have an early childhood shaped by war propaganda and to not quite have a full understanding of what the transition away from that involves. But this isn't misguided beliefs from college or something, that full-page war crimes denial he published for example was in 2007. I just don't understand what kind of personal investment could make someone feel the need to do stuff like that about things like this. It's like seriously? This is the hill you want to make your stand on?

squall23

A fucking legend. Truly an inspiration to his craft. He is the reason I started learning how to play music. I wish I was half as talented as he is.

Hell, I wish I was 1/10th as talented.

Anyway. As good as his Dragon Quest stuff is, I STRONGLY recomend his Ideon work. That's his true master piece.
Ideon music and story go hand in hand. The music isn't as good without the story and vice versa.

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
Being deluded doesn't make you a piece of shit. Not anymore than any other indoctrinated belief. Might think of them as disappointing, or sad, or even idiotic, but not as horrible people. Assuming he genuinely believes what he writes. A truly horrible person would be someone who does believe it happened and thinks it was OK.

If the tidbit about Sugiyama were that he is a philanthropist, I seriously doubt you guys would be posting "Who cares! That's off-topic!!", "Stop talking about that here!", "I have zero interest in his philanthropy", etc.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Being deluded doesn't make you a piece of shit. Not anymore than any other indoctrinated belief. Might think of them as disappointing, or sad, or even idiotic, but not as horrible people. Assuming he genuinely believes what he writes. A truly horrible person would be someone who does believe it happened and thinks it was OK.

There are real victims from this tragedy. Not believing something that has victims is bad. Using your influence and money to convince other people to feel the same way is even worse.

I really like his work prior knowing that he is a revisionist. After learning about his stance, I was so disappointed that I deny to give him credit. I believe art is an expression of the author's personality and thinking, they contain the soul of the author, even it is a tainted one. Writing off the Nanking Massacre is a massive insult to all the people and countries involved and simply cannot be ignored or forgotten.I still remember this guy publicly talked about his political stance even during the DQXI reveal stream. This fucking guy brings this distorted thoughts into a videogame series which supposed to be lighthearted and fun.

Fuck this guy.

Wow, really?

:(

Top Bottom