• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest music composer, Koichi Sugiyama, world’s oldest videogame composer.

partridge

Eternal Lullaby from Dragon Quest VI is one of my favorite video game ending themes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbdE0nL6kzA

I don't think discussing the composer's political views derails the topic. I do wonder if he has budged his stance at all, given that it's been 9 years since the publication of the Washington Post ad.

Also:
http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=24627

The Gamasutra Opinion piece discusses a little about Sugiyama, links to a NeoGAF topic boycotting Shadow Complex, and the top comment links to an article from New York Times with the quote:

"It’s hard to be a good person; it’s hard to produce great work. Most of us accomplish neither. To demand both might be asking more than human beings are capable of. To deprive oneself of great work created by a less-than-great person seems overly fastidious."

That's a fantastic response to arguments nobody made.
Just kidding. It's a pretty terrible response to arguments nobody made.
Auron had previously edited out a comment, stating that "pretty sure dropping nuclear bombs on women and children is worse..."

Syril

Oh shit he did the music of EVO? I love that game
I think he just did the music for the original PC-98 game. I'm suspicious because the SNES game has some great arrangements of the PC-98 tracks, but everything that's new to that version are those grating 5-second loops that play in the land areas.

TriAceJP

Old Man from War Times Stubbornly Sticks to Nationalistic Beliefs: The Composer Edition.

Come on guys. Some old people have some old world views.

Dude made some good tunes.

The historical revisionism is pretty stupid, but it comes across as kinda sad denial and refusal to believe his country did some seriously messed up stuff. He was pretty damn young and obviously isn't speaking from first hand experience.

Not trying to defend historical revisionism but I don't think it detracts from his (pretty damn amazing) work. I understand not wanting to see, say, a Roman Polanski movie, because thing's he's done can affect your perception of his work, and your brain kinda sees things in his movies in a different light knowing what he's done. I think holding delusional political beliefs is something that doesn't affect his work at all, and it's very easy to completely separate IMO

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
He's brought a lot of joy into my life. Don't know anything about his views or whatever, and I reserve the right to not care due to the separation of art and artist. May he live long!

rpmurphy

The historical revisionism is pretty stupid, but it comes across as kinda sad denial and refusal to believe his country did some seriously messed up stuff. He was pretty damn young and obviously isn't speaking from first hand experience.

Not trying to defend historical revisionism but I don't think it detracts from his (pretty damn amazing) work. I understand not wanting to see, say, a Roman Polanski movie, because thing's he's done can affect your perception of his work, and your brain kinda sees things in his movies in a different light knowing what he's done. I think holding delusional political beliefs is something that doesn't affect his work at all, and it's very easy to completely separate IMO
Well, Polanski is at a much further point on the spectrum since he should have been in prison, not directing films.

rhandino

Banned
He's brought a lot of joy into my life. Don't know anything about his views or whatever, and I reserve the right to not care due to the separation of art and artist. May he live long!
Considering that he uses his fame and fortune to lobby in favor of an abhorrent cause I hope not.

duckroll

Damn, I thought there was one less war crime denier in the world today, but it turned out to just be another shitty pointless world record gimmick crap. Oh well.

And last I heard, he was grooming Hayato Matsuo. Matsuo sort of has his own stuff going on though, so not sure if he'd necessarily be his "successor"
Sugiyama hasn't been grooming either Matsuo or Motoaki Takenouchi AFAIK, even though both musicians studied under him more than two decades ago. It's a damn shame neither are doing high profile game music these days, but unsurprising since Matsuo's got steady work under Kohei Tanaka and Takenouchi's more apt to experiment (taught at a conservatory, wrote/orchestrated theater music, plays in a pop band, &c.).

Bakkus

By 'scummy political views', are people in actuality meaning 'negative part of Japan's history' denial? Because those are not the same thing.

Nonetheless, he's a fantastic composer. Who is the second oldest VGM composer, btw?

Shikoba

Can I just use this thread to say that I am:

So F-ing excited that we are not only getting a new DQ game this month, but also next month as well?!?!?!

Yeah >,>

Im playing through IV-VI right now for the first time and having a blast. I can't believe it took me so long to get into DQ. I love it. It feels like everyone's talking about Last Guardian, Titanfall, CoD and all I can think about is VII and Builders.

Glad the thread wasnt about him passing. Seriously the music in these games just seals the deal.

Noogy

Among the very best in his field. His score for Dragon Quest VIII is still regularly played while I work.

MechaX

I am not even all that big on Dragon Quest, but god damn, Heavenly Flight from DQ8 gets me every time.

Edit: And I am not touching his WWII thoughts with a ten-foot pole outside of "he's just factually wrong."

Kanann

Every genius has an asshole side, and I will not try to cling on it much.

Love his work on DQI~DQX plus Ideon.

duckroll

Come on guys, he has some really really shitty views, but wishing him dead? Not cool.

I don't wish for anyone to die, but I sincerely feel that modern Japanese society will be better off when all the conservative nationalists from the old generations are no longer alive to actively fund and campaign their distorted agendas which have no place in the world today.

I love DQ music, but I definitely won't be sad when he goes.

Landford

Banned
I don't wish for anyone to die, but I sincerely feel that modern Japanese society will be better off when all the conservative nationalists from the old generations are no longer alive to actively fund and campaign their distorted agendas which have no place in the world today.

Agreed.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it gets setup as a topic derailer. He's had a long career but also uses his fame to spread his inaccurate beliefs. And yes it does matter, are you going to tell me it doesn't matter if people deny the holocaust as well? People should just "get the fuck over it" eh?

It does matter, but in that instance you could just, you know, make a separate thread discussing their Holocaust denial.

I think that's a shitty view. Should i derail every thread you post in because you hold a view I find shitty?

I mean Jesus, people, let's just be happy for him in this thread about his achievements and pile shit on him elsewhere.

clem84

Gold Member
Always LOVED his work on the DQ series. Was never aware he had such views. I'm kinda sad to learn this.

Kudos to him for still being productive and proficient at his work at such an advanced age.

There are too many tracks to name in the entire series, but if I had to pick just one game for its music, it would have to be DQ8. That game always felt to me like a fairy tale coming to life, and the medieval, epic music is a huge part of that. The first time you step on the world map outside the first town is amazing.

duckroll

I think that's a shitty view. Should i derail every thread you post in because you hold a view I find shitty?

If I am a rich old man who actively uses my influence and wealth to promote political views which are to the detriment of the moral fiber of society and an insult to all neighboring nations, yes I think you should.

Well as I mentioned earlier, I view Ideon as his crowning achievement. I do think that in terms of DQ, his best work was probably IV or VII. VI has a really great soundtrack too.

But then again, I love all his DQ soundtracks. I think IXs was underrated, with several great pieces. Great world map theme, great battle theme. Really good castle theme (probably my favorite)

jb1234

He's a fine composer although his best work seems behind him. Both DQIX and X are greatly lacking in memorable tunes, generally not a problem for Sugiyama.

BTA

It does matter, but in that instance you could just, you know, make a separate thread discussing their Holocaust denial.

I mean Jesus, people, let's just be happy for him in this thread about his achievements and pile shit on him elsewhere.

What's the actual point of celebrating his achievements while ignoring that he believes these things and uses his money to make sure those beliefs persist? Does it actually achieve anything good?

I'm not a DQ fan so I had no idea about this going into this thread. I'm happy to have been told. I'd rather people spread the word of someone's bullshit than pretend everything's fine.

horuhe

More photos from the original source.
2077905_201609050935744001473065991c.jpg

2077905_201609050935856001473065991c.jpg

Who is the second oldest VGM composer, btw?

Don't know, really. The certificate was given when he was performing, and the second was never noted neither in Guinness website.

As much as I love Sugiyama's music and Dragon Quest, he has been Certified Rotten for a long time for me because of his political views/denial that Japan could ever do bad things.

I will always consider Hayato Matsuo (51) to be his greatest protégé. I hope that guy isn't also an ass, but scared to search for that information.

jb1234

Most classical performers have to get past composers' shitty personal views because man, there were some terrible human beings. Wagner especially was notorious for being a piece of shit.

Every genius has an asshole side, and I will not try to cling on it much.

what, that's not true

I think Hamauzu is a great composer but if he starts denying the holocaust I am going to reconsider supporting him with money. But so far I don't see him saying Sandy Hook was a false flag so I don't think your theory is an appropriate comparison or excuse for Sugiyama.

Really talented man. Heavenly Flight from DQ8 is one of my favorite compositions, ever, in any form of media. Gives me chills every time I listen to it.

lupinko

Although his score for Ideon is fantastic, I associate Ideon mainly with its singer Isao Taira.

And while I think DQ music does sound nice, I don't have any attachment to it.

So all these slime avatars defending this awful person by trying to play devil's advocate because vidyagames isn't giving DQ a good look for me.

Sorry, you don't get to be a war crime denialist and have your reputation carefully protected from the consequences of that. Everyone is going to settle on their own final opinion of how they relate to this fact, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with appreciating or praising his work even knowing that this is true, but it's going to come up and be discussed whenever he is because he made it relevant.

I'm pretty sure this guy denied that the "Rape of Nanking" ever happened right?

If so, I have no sympathy for him as a person, his musical work is good, but his fame and wealth is tainted in my eyes.

I'd rather not discuss his political views in this thread.

Really enjoyed his work in previous DQ games and I'm really looking forward to how XI turns out. I'm a little confused about the timing of this award though. Has he just become the oldest? Did the previous record holder die? Or have they only just decided this should be a category and awarded it to him right away?

Eila

Although his score for Ideon is fantastic, I associate Ideon mainly with its singer Isao Taira.

And while I think DQ music does sound nice, I don't have any attachment to it.

So all these slime avatars defending this awful person by trying to play devil's advocate because vidyagames isn't giving DQ a good look for me.

Pretty sure nobody here is directly affected by this so it's your loss only. And dude's 85 so I doubt he cares as well.

Top Bottom