• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest Speedrunners Are Roasting Their Classic Consoles To Trigger Glitches

Sounds like this competition is

csi miami deal with it GIF

HEATING UP

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
Not a fan of this idea. Would rather not risk destroying original hardware.

Edit: upon closer inspection it appears as though these speedrunners are using Famiclones...carry on.

Last edited:

Banned
I love shit like this.
but how is this not banned?

other speedrun communities ban tricks like this. for example, the GoldenEye community banned a method of triggering glitches that worked by opening up an N64 controller, plugging it into the second port and pressing down on the chip in the center of the exposed board.

Last edited:

Banned
I've got a different question - as someone who loves Dragon quest:

What's the point in speed running a turn based jRPG?

I don't get it either with most RPGs, but some are interesting like Pokemon.

anything that has weird and fun strats will be run by many, doesn't matter the genre.

Hudo

While I find those glitch-based speedruns really interesting, I don't see them as "real" speedruns. For me, speedrunning the game means that you'll play as intended but with strategies/knowledge to progress through the game faster.
10min DQ runs or 2min Pokemon Blue/Red runs are interesting but not really speedruns, IMHO.

Teslerum

While I find those glitch-based speedruns really interesting, I don't see them as "real" speedruns. For me, speedrunning the game means that you'll play as intended but with strategies/knowledge to progress through the game faster.
10min DQ runs or 2min Pokemon Blue/Red runs are interesting but not really speedruns, IMHO.

The problem is that that line is very blurry and thus that type of speedrunning doesn't really exist. And that's a huge, huge distinction you're making here.

Nearly every type of speedrun features glitches of some sort that developers didn't anticipate and thus not *intended*, simply because what's *intended* goes right out the window when you begin speedrunning. A huge part of speedrunning for example is the explotation of traversal mechanics and that includes exploiting mechanics for speed and to skip sections a developer couldn't possible have anticipated. You can take it to the extreme with the BLJ in Mario 64, but even just a slight increase in speed by moving in a certain way because of a coding error is technically a glitch and not really intended and make a huge difference over an entire run.

Sorry, for the rant and I get what you mean. Glitches that skip nearly the entire game or are outright credit warps aren't that interesting as speedruns (though their execution can be from a technical standpoint).

Last edited:

Hudo

The problem is that that line is very blurry and thus that type of speedrunning doesn't really exist. And that's a huge, huge distinction you're making here.

Nearly every type of speedrun features glitches of some sort that developers didn't anticipate and thus not *intended*, simply because what's *intended* goes right out the window when you begin speedrunning. A huge part of speedrunning for example is the explotation of traversal mechanics and that includes exploiting mechanics for speed and to skip sections a developer couldn't possible have anticipated. You can take it to the extreme with the BLJ in Mario 64, but even just a slight increase in speed by moving in a certain way because of a coding error is technically a glitch and not really intended and make a huge difference over an entire run.

Sorry, for the rant and I get what you mean. Glitches that skip nearly the entire game or are outright credit warps aren't that interesting as speedruns (though their execution can be from a technical standpoint).
I get what you're saying and I get that there are instances where you can't make a clear distinction. It's just that it really started to get on my nerves when people jerking themselves or letting themselves be jerked off by people for claiming "World Record, 55s!" for a game that clearly could not have been finished in that time when you'd play it as it was designed. Again, from a technical point of view it is interesting but mainly because it lays bare how some of the things were programmed, not because of how the runner abuses them, that's the least interesting part.

But I agree with your blurry lines argument. Take Rollercoaster Tycoon 2, for example. It is very easy (and fast) to win each scenario by "abusing" certain mechanics. Are those glitches? No, they are just unintended consequences of mechanics that work together when you place certain rides. That, I would not classify as glitches. But using some sort of memory rewriting by using the safari zone glitch to trigger a buffer overflow in order to get access to certain memory blocks so you can rewrite them is a glitch, IMHO.
If you screw with values in memory without any specific mechanic in the game explicitly supporting it, I would call a glitch. The Rollercoaster Tycoon 2 example doesn't do that, you're never directly editing values in memory.

The most impressed I was with a speed run was that run where the guy basically learned patterns (and kept notes) of when and how random battles would occur. However, he also used to reset the console in order to set the seed for the random battles in a certain way and that I would call a glitch.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Couldn't we get the people who figure this kind of stuff out to redirect their energy to research the cure for cancer or something?

Eimran

I love shit like this.
but how is this not banned?

other speedrun communities ban tricks like this. for example, the GoldenEye community banned a method of triggering glitches that worked by opening up an N64 controller, plugging it into the second port and pressing down on the chip in the center of the exposed board.
Well there are clean speedruns and glitch speedruns (or even TSA). A hardware induced glitch is still a glitch nevertheless.

Banned
Well there are clean speedruns and glitch speedruns (or even TSA). A hardware induced glitch is still a glitch nevertheless.

while that is true, like I said many communities ban these glitches.

the rules of the runs are ultimately set by the community of the game. these rules are usually set in place to make competition either more fun or keep integrity for certain categories.

for example, I think basically every community banned cartridge tilting "crooked cartridge" tricks.
also turbo controllers are generally banned (exception is for example the TurboGrafx because it has turbo buttons on the standard controller)... and usually any hampering with hardware in any way is banned.

so if this is legal that is an exception this specific community made, most others would ban it I bet.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
That’s actually pretty clever. It’s original hardware!

For me I’m like one of those guys that wants to let athletes use all the drugs they want. Go for it! Let’s see how far you can take it.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Seems like it just helps increase the likelihood of an otherwise "legit" glitch, so I guess it counts.

Kev Kev

I thought the whole idea was to do everything in the box? So now speed runners are aloud to manipulate the insides by doing stuff from the outside? 🤨 where does the line get drawn and why?

Top Bottom