• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest was originally released 30 years ago today.

Ōkami

latest

This is is/was discussed in some other threads but figured it was worth making anyway, hopefully is okay.

Dragon Quest was originally released on the japanese Famicom on May 27th 1986, and today marks 30 years since it's landmark release, the original Dragon Quest is one of the most important and influential titles of all time as the model most JRPGs were to follow; while elements in the game were in itself inspired by by western RPGs, the combination of gameplay elements established it as THE template for console RPGs to follow, if you like more or less any JRPG, Final Fantasy, Megaten, Pokémon, Earthbound, Persona, Tales of among many, many others all somehow borrow from Dragon Quest.

The game plays as your standard JRPG, you battle monsters, get experience and money to power up and buy better gear to fight stronger monsters, all while exploring a world full of dungeons, cities and NPCs to talk to, standard stuff, what's not entirely standard is that there's no party, you play as a loner badass on his quest to save the world, as you're a one man army you only fight enemies one at a time which makes most battles last 1 to 3 turns, get used to hearing the first few seconds of the battle theme many times!

As far as story is concerned, it's about the Dragonlord's quest to take over the world, to do this he kidnapps the daughter of the king of Alefgard to keep him at bay, with no other option the king request the help of a naked guy that fell from the sky to save his daughter, and the world.

The game however has not aged well at all, and if you haven't been playing RPGs for over 20 years (maybe even if you have) the game feels tedious, archaic, slow and even borderline unplayable. At the same time however it being such an important title is one everyone should play at least once, so briefly, here's a rundown of all versions of the game.

As mentioned before the original game was released on the Famicom in 1986, it was also released on the japanese MSX that very same year and on the american NES on 1989 under the name Dragon Warrior.

Unless you're a hardcore RPG player you're better off skipping this version (and in general all 8bit RPGs not named Sweet Home) as this as archaic as an RPG can get.

If you're in Japan or into importing the Famicom copy can be obtained at a reasonable price while the MSX is a collectors item, it's both rare and expensive, same (although not as much) can be said about the NES version.

Dragon Quest was remade alongside it's sequel for the Super Famicom in 1993. This version was never localized and it's unlikely it ever will, however there is a pretty good translation patch online.

If you don't have a problem with emulation I highly recommend getting this version.

In 2000 the Super Famicom remake saw a version on the Game Boy Color, once again alongside it's sequel, this version however saw release in NA, once again called Dragon Warrior.

This is my personal favorite version of the game as it's the most streamlined of all (saying this having not played the mobile port), also it saw an official release which isn't all that rare or expensive. Also if you don't live in NA and want to play this game remember that the Game Boy Color is not region locked.

On the final release on dedicated devices, the entire Loto trilogy was released on Wii to celebrate the series 25th anniversary, once again, Japan only.

I haven't played the mobile port so can't comment on that, but will recommend as it seems based on the SFC remake and DQ is a game that would translate well to touch controls, also it's available everywhere, that makes it the best way to play for Europeans.

To end things some videos.

CG intro of the Wii Collection
A great review of the GBC remake
TV commercial for Dragon Warrior

Dragon Quest has a great remake, can't forget about that!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STahp4WPCKE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYfZJnglWtQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qk-wzULTbC4

036.jpg

PsionBolt

Happy Birthday, Dragon Quest. The medium owes you a lot.

I'd highly recommend playing the GBC Dragon Quest games to any RPG fan, with not a single qualifier attached. Just last year I ran through DQ1 again; it's a very relaxing, satisfying game.

Aters

The ancestor of all JRPGs, and it's still selling more than most of its descendants.
Long Live Dragon Quest!

I played through DQ I Super Famicom a few years back and enjoyed it quite a bit. I'd be alright with more shorter JRPGs like that. It was a super tight little adventure. Playing DQ III SFC right after that was pretty cool with all the callbacks to the first.

that's the reason DQH2 is released today...

usually games in Japan are released on Thursday, main titles (DQ included) on Saturday, so yesterday while in a game store I was wondering why DQH2 was on Friday :D

Aeana

My favorite game series by far, although I guess that's no secret. I've grown up right alongside the series and so many of my fondest memories are tied to some experience or another with a game in the series.

one of my fondest memories was spending the day with my dad when Dragon Quest 5 came out in 1992. We got up early and traveled to line up, it was really hot outside but we had a great time.

Bitanator

Series started on my birthday. My favorite game series, such wonderfully nostalgic and charming games I have had the pleasure of playing for a long time now.

Mifec

I'm a late arrival so I started with 8 but it's one of my favorite games of all time and tied with Rogue Galaxy as my fav PS2 game.

My favorite game series by far, although I guess that's no secret. I've grown up right alongside the series and so many of my fondest memories are tied to some experience or another with a game in the series.

one of my fondest memories was spending the day with my dad when Dragon Quest 5 came out in 1992. We got up early and traveled to line up, it was really hot outside but we had a great time.

This is really cute. I shared the same thing with my dad and MGS1 and 2. Unfortunately he wasn't there for 3 but I got really fond memories out of it.

Aeana

As for DQ1, it was actually my second game in the series. I played 2 first, bought primarily due to the box art, but I loved it so much that I had to track down the first game. There's something really unique and special about DQ1 that no other game I've ever played has exhibited. It's just such a tight experience with no fat on its bones, and despite such a small scope, it really feels like you're going on an important adventure and making a difference.

jb1234

I played through the mobile version last year. I really enjoyed how compact and charming it was. A bit too grind heavy but the battles at least went by quickly.

This was one of my first NES games purchased when I got the console in 89( along with Bases Loaded and Bad Street brawler). I got a 4th title too but can't for the life of me remember which one.

randomkid

I played it for the first time on my phone last year and had such an enjoyable experience. I still think about the ending occasionally, it's very poetic and I wish more games would copy it like Earthbound did.

I wish I had access to 1-3. I really want to see the beginnings of the franchise but I don't have a working NES or mobile. Otherwise, I've been playing 4 and 5 and they are fantastic games. 4's storytelling still stands out to me after finishing the game in December, and 5 is like BoFIII so that has my attention too.

Now if only I could find 6 DS...

Aeana

I wish I had access to 1-3. I really want to see the beginnings of the franchise but I don't have a working NES or mobile. Otherwise, I've been playing 4 and 5 and they are fantastic games. 4's storytelling still stands out to me after finishing the game in December, and 5 is like BoFIII so that has my attention too.

Now if only I could find 6 DS...

There are multiple Android app players for PC that work with games. Bluestacks is one, and there are others. Some let you map keys to touchscreen gestures which is nice.

Toth

Wow! 30 years.... Truly a staple of JRPG gaming for all those years. I just wish we had gotten 5 and 6 back in the day. They were pretty impressive games for the time and perhaps could have made more headway into the classic SNES library.

Ōkami;204778071 said:
Unless you're a hardcore RPG player you're better off skipping this version (and in general all 8bit RPGs not named Sweet Home) as this as archaic as an RPG can get.

DQ3&4 (I prefer the NES versions to the remakes), Crystalis, and Phantasy Star are all 8-bit RPGs worth playing. And like you said, Sweet Home is worth checking out.

Aeana

Y'all dudes who played the English version of DQ1 don't know how good you had it.
In the Japanese version, there's no battery, so you have to use passwords. Also, the character only faces toward the screen, which means you have to select a direction for every action. Talk -> Up. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgM0PMdqDS0

My first ever RPG. Got it for free through a Nintendo Power magazine subscription promotion. Those were the days. Still have fond memories of it.

ranmafan

It's a great day to celebrate such a great series. It's always been in my top five favorite series and always will be. Every one of the games I've played has brought me joy. And I love going back go them. Been slowly replaying vii and viii on the 3ds for a while now and those games are just so much fun still today. And this year has been so good for DQ already. Builders was fantastic, we got a new heroes game today (which I will get to tomorrow once it arrives at my place), and there's that big Dragon Quest Live Spectatctor that's happening this summer in Japan that looks like it will be a ton of fun. I've already got my tickets for one of the shows. I know I'll be playing some DQ today and this weekend to celebrate for sure!

1upsuper

Same for me as well, though obviously I don't share that memory, haha. I grew up with Dragon Quest and I can't help but feel like it'll always be my favorite game series. Games in the series remind me of different periods of my life, and conversely certain real world locations remind me of whatever new DQ game was enthralling me way back when.

Congratulations, Yuji Horii, Akira Toriyama, Koichi Sugiyama, and everyone involved in Dragon Quest over these last 30 years. It means a lot to me.

brinstar

The first RPG I ever played! Hilariously enough, even though I was a huge Akira Toriyama fan even back then, I didn't realize he did the art til later due to how the boxart was localized here, haha.

30 friggin' years!?

...damn, and it's been 27 since the release in the U.S.

This game was my gateway, a neighbor kid got it with a subscription to Nintendo Power and hated it. I was enthralled though. He sold it to me for $10 and I never looked back.

Because of this game I fell in love with RPGs. This is one of those that I'll never forget, even all these years later.

I've always wanted to jump into this series. Any suggestions on which one to start with?
You can easily jump in with any of them but 4,5,8 and 9 are the usual jumping in points for many that I know of. I jumped in with 2 or DQM actually if I remember correctly. Do play the GB and GBC Monsters games, they are really good too. A lot of my friends actually perferred the Monsters games to the main series. (They like them more than pokemon too)

Aisen

Neo Member
I also got it free with Nintendo Power. Such a great deal when I was a kid. I really loved it and played through all the NES sequels several times. The later versions are mostly amazing as well.

Final Fantasy was my first love, but Dragon Quest is easily the second.

I still fondly recall sitting inside on a cold day, home from school, wrapped up in a blanket trying to finish Dragon Warrior 4.

But I somehow got turned around, and couldn't figure out where to go next (I eventually discovered I had to drop down onto the next floor in some statue), so I went and just farmed metal slimes, babbles, what have you, until I maxed out everyone.

I wish I still had the patience for that kind of thing.

jblank83

Literally my first real video game RPG. I still enjoy it.

It's rough around the edges and extremely simple, even by NES standards (see Wizardry, Ultima IV, or Final Fantasy) but it's well balanced and entertaining.

1upsuper

I always recommend DQ5. It has the strongest, most poignant story in the series. Some of my favorite music too.

I'd say III or V are the best places to start. V if you want an interesting story and cast, III if you want pure fantasy and exploration.

donny2112

Still hoping for DQVII in June and DQVIII for the Fall. (^_^) Wouldn't mind VC releases of Dragon Warrior 1*2 and Dragon Warrior 3 on GB for 3DS, either, Nintendo and SE! Make 1-9 available on the same system!

My first experience with Dragon Quest was in 1997. My friend was super into the series, so I decided to check it out.

I got the game from a used game store for 5 bucks. I didn't know what to make of it at the time but thought it was okay. I ended up falling in love with its Beowulvian tone later in after I played the other nes games.

The first song I ever learned on piano was dq1s world map theme

Top Bottom