• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest was originally released 30 years ago today.

Knurek

I used to do Dragon Quest Xmas, where each year on Christmas Eve I'd finish Dragon Quest 1.

Really a perfect game to get you into the right mood. Just... Just stick with the immensely improved GBC version.

SkyOdin

I bought the original Dragon Warrior at a yard sale as a kid. I never had the patience as a kid to actually beat it though. I barely made it to the second town in all of my attempts. However, I loved the manual the game came with. It was this beautiful full-color manual that included a complete walk-through of the game, and it featured a ton of artwork for the monsters and equipment. I wish game manuals were still like that.

I am a big fan of the series though. As a kid, I rented and tried Dragon Warrior 2 and 3, but as I said before, I didn't have the patience for them back then. However, I've since played and beaten Dragon Quest IV, V, and VIII. I really should finish IX too, and I've been meaning to track down some of the other games in the series. I am particularly looking forward to VII's DS remake. 30 years later, the series is still going strong. Here's to another 30 years of awesome RPGs.

NolbertoS

My fav JRPG series. Own all OST compilations. Even some lf the Japanese Super Famicom version, including the Wii 25th anniversary collection. I can't wait to finally play DQVII and DQVIII on the 3DS in NA soon. Happy Birthday, DQ, may the Loto trilogy live on forever.

Gloam

Yay, such a great series glad to see it means so much to so many. Here's to many more years to come. I'm going to play some DQ1 to celebrate.

b5JGfez.jpg

Still hoping for DQVII in June and DQVIII for the Fall. (^_^) Wouldn't mind VC releases of Dragon Warrior 1*2 and Dragon Warrior 3 on GB for 3DS, either, Nintendo and SE! Make 1-9 available on the same system!

Yeah, that's what I'm hoping for as well. I've never played 2 and 3, so that would be nice.

Ganondorfo

I have a question, I always hear that Dragon Quest 3 is seen as the "Final Fantasy VI' for this series, but I thought this game never left Japan and was only on Nes. I also heard it got remade for Snes and it also never got localized. So how did everyone play this game?

univbee

I have a question, I always hear that Dragon Quest 3 is seen as the "Final Fantasy VI' for this series, but I thought this game never left Japan and was only on Nes. I also heard it got remade for Snes and it also never got localized. So how did everyone play this game?

We got Dragon Quest 1, 2, 3 and 4 in English in North America, it's just that 2, 3 and 4 were somewhat rare (especially 3 and 4). The Super Famicom remakes and 5 and 6 weren't released, however, we didn't get 5 and 6 until their DS versions.

Raw64life

Just a few months before my 30th birthday. Dragon Warrior was the first game I ever played. Been a fan for life and always will be. Dragon Warrior and Super Mario Bros. were the first two games I ever played and are still my two favorite franchises to this day. I'm fortunate that both franchises are still going strong 30 years later, although with DQ I'm not always deemed worthy of playing the games they make. It's a shame it's never gotten a sustained push outside of Japan.

I remember starting off with Dragon Quest Monsters 2: Cobi's Journey on the GBC... The island music always brings me back... I loved how it began all because of a pie!

Because of that, I tried out Dragon Warrior III, and that game was difficult for young me! Loved the animated monsters on the GBC!

One of these days, I plan to go through games I haven't beaten yet... and that's a lot. At least beat some before Dragon Quest Builders, VII & VIII come out later this year.

Begaria

Fantastic times. I was just reading the Explorer's Handbook that comes with the game on the shitter this morning to.

One of my favourite series, I'm so glad that I had 3 friends and a summer vacation when we got DQIX, playing that over the summer is one of my favourite gaming memories.

Ōkami;204778071 said:
The game however has not aged well at all, and if you haven't been playing RPGs for over 20 years (maybe even if you have) the game feels tedious, archaic, slow and even borderline unplayable.

But thou must

ultra7k

DW1 as it was known was my first foray into JRPGs back on the NES, and the game I let my friends borrow (up to 2 others, can't delete my save!) that got them hooked on the genre.

Replayed 1 and 2 last year on iOS, and they held up very well and was significantly less grindy than I recall. Am currently about 4/5 of the way through 8 on iOS, (missing the VA and music from the PS2 version...) but that had to be put on the back burner for a while.

Such a great series, and I can't wait till 7 gets re-released as I stupidly sold my PS1 copy ages ago.

My first RPG! I didn't get it initially but once I did I fell in love. I still own my NES cart along with 2, 3 and 4. I finished them all. The series got better with each installment and the original definitely hasn't aged well, but it'll always be dear to my heart. The last and only other entry in the series I played was VIII which I hold as one of the best RPGs ever made. I'm really looking forward to finally returning to the series with XI on PS4.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
First RPG I've ever played and still up there with the original Phantasy Star games as my favorite game series ever. Rented it from the local mom 'n' pop video rental store after seeing Nintendo Power devote a bunch of coverage to it (as a 6 year old, lots of NP coverage generally meant a pretty good game). Never played anything like it, and so it took me like a few hours to get out of the throne room :p

Lots of cool things happened due to my love of DQ:

-Got to host a panel at Otakon 2013, which packed out the room (around 350 people)
-Got interested in RPGs, game design, and programming, eventually leading to a career
-Met lots of great friends the world over

Happy 30th, DQ!

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Little late, but happy birthday to a series that has only gotten better with age.

Y'all dudes who played the English version of DQ1 don't know how good you had it.
In the Japanese version, there's no battery, so you have to use passwords. Also, the character only faces toward the screen, which means you have to select a direction for every action. Talk -> Up. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgM0PMdqDS0

In fact, Dragon Quest II had the same situation with the battery.

I had no idea about the bolded though. Given that and stuff like no shorelines, sounds like the original Japanese version used a smaller ROM chip.

https://tcrf.net/Dragon_Warrior#Sprites_and_Graphics

Aeana

Little late, but happy birthday to a series that has only gotten better with age.

In fact, Dragon Quest II had the same situation with the battery.

I had no idea about the bolded though. Given that and stuff like no shorelines, sounds like the original Japanese version used a smaller ROM chip.

https://tcrf.net/Dragon_Warrior#Sprites_and_Graphics

Yeah. DQ2J was my first DQ. I have notecards with long passwords written on them still.
The NA version of DQ2 also had the whole introduction sequence about the destruction of Moonbrook added to it. Japan didn't get it until the remake.

Philippo

Thanks for everything DQ, gaming (and heck a great deal of japanese pop culture) owes you a fucking.

Heck, some anime series have their funniest jokes based on this saga.

chinkasu2.gif

tumblr_lxlmlrvNE11qllj88o1_500.gif

Hope DQXI delivers!

Chucker

I have a friend in Tokyo. Is there anything going on for this? Or was there since it's the 28th now?

Is that Lawsons still done up like a Dragon Quest store?

Edit: Welp lets talk about Dragon Quest then.

I ended up buying Dragon Warrior before getting it for free with Nintendo Power.
I got Dragon Warrior II from a place called Video Game Exchange. Traded in some games to get that one. Enjoyed it!

Got Dragon Warrior III in a summer, I think the summer it came out, can remember spending all of vacation playing it, it's also the reason 800 numbers were blocked in the house, thanks Nintendo Power Line!

Dragon Warrior IV was my favorite, I have really fond memories of waking up in summer months, playing it until lunch and then running around the neighborhood, gathering up the other kids and then exploring the woods.

Hargon

30 years, three years older than me, and now it was my favorite series of all time. i can't wait to play vii for the first time and xi.

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
One of my favourite series, V is in my top 5 games of all time. I love the tone and aesthetics of the game. Here hoping we get DQX 3DS and XI.

Saying the original DQ is unplayable is quite a stretch and insulting for this games 30th. The SFAM, iPhone, and GBC versions are fantastic.

Anyways, DQ.

I was too young to play the original DQ's and didn't have an NES.

Final Fantasy was my first love. It wasn't the first gaming series I got into, but it was the first one that showed me the capabilities games had. Suikoden was my second love. I'd say Dragon Quest is easily my third.

I love Dragon Quest so much that I taught myself Japanese just to play 7r - a remake of a game I already owned and played. Being able to play (and understand) that game was one of the most fulfilling and emotional game experiences of my life. It truly showed how much I was willing and capable of just to play a game, and I'm not ashamed of that.

Unlike many in this thread, my first DQ was actually VIII. I had wanted to play I+II when they were released on GBC way back when, and I unfortunately missed out on DW7. But DQ8 was something I got on release day and never went back. Soon afterward I started playing them in order. I played the SNES version of I+II, tracked down DW7 from Estarland, got a copy of DWIII GBC from Ebay. I emulated V. I got IV and VI when they came out on DS.

I found in my play through that there wasn't a single bad DQ game. Some I preferred more than others, but none were awful and all of them aged well and presented a lot of creativity and direction in jrpgs that's rarely seen: the class system at the bar in III, IV's epic game structure, V's emotional story outline, VII's writing, VIII's adventuring, I's novelty...

Regarding I in particular, one of my favorite aspects about it was the absence of bloat or any excess. It's a game that's easy to pick up and play, but not necessarily one that disrespects you as a player either. It's an adventure that feels unique for RPGs. Other RPGs since have featured only one playable character (Vagrant Story instantly springs to mind), but not quite like the original Dragon Quest. It's an RPG that you beat in less than a day and requires absolutely zero in the way of dedication but still manages to stick with you and make a lasting impression through its wit and charm alone. Despite accusations that the title is archaic, old, or just outdated, I've always found the opposite to be true. There's nothing like the original Dragon Quest even today.

While I can barely recognize Final Fantasy these days, SMT still lives but isn't released as frequently, and Suikoden is dead, I still have Dragon Quest. Always consistent. Always charming. Always there for you. Like a pack of ramen or mom's homemade chicken noodle soup.

Happy Birthday Dragon Quest and thank you Horii, Toriyama. And Sugiyama. Here's to another thirty years.

jblank83

I've always wanted to jump into this series. Any suggestions on which one to start with?

IV

It's more straightforward than V and VI, extremely well balanced in terms of monsters, dungeons, bosses, equipment, character progression, and pacing, with a fun story. It also sets up for V and VI by establishing various mechanics and systems. And it's shorter than V and VI. If you like what's happening in IV, then move on to V and then VI.

I, II, and III on smartphone are also good choices. DQ I is extremely simple and will introduce you to the core mechanics. DQ II is the better game, but starts to delve into more complex mechanics. DQ I is almost too simple, though. If you have any RPG experience at all you can skip to DQ II. DQ I is also the roughest port, with II and III making some improvements in terms of overall software design, unrelated to the game mechanics.

Top Bottom