• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest X |OT| Import Solution Found

Forever

Banned
I'm going to bite the bullet and import, too. I wish I had concrete info on what type of USB drive Square requires, though, because there's a set on Play Asia that includes a 16GB USB flash drive.

I can't imagine that you need any remarkable type of flash drive. The only thing that could possibly matter is the formatting; I know that for PS3 it needs to be formatted in FAT32 but even that is easily done on any computer.

Edit: Do I have to download the Japanese shop to my Wii?

If you want to pay using Wii Points, yes. But apparently there's another option, read the OP or last page for more details.

Forever

Banned
Do you think that a USB terabyte drive will suffice, or do I have to buy a flash drive? :/

Again the only thing that might matter is the formatting. I'm not sure if the Wii requires FAT32 but it probably does, and you generally don't want to format a terabyte drive in FAT32 because it won't be able to accommodate files larger than 4gb (and you'll lose all your data during the format, assuming it's currently in NTFS).

If anyone here wants to talk about their specific installation experience, that might help.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
If you're going to go through all the cost behind importing and paying for a foreign MMO a 5 dollar USB dongle really shouldn't be that big of a concern.

Espresso

Banned
I plugged in the old drive that I used to use on my PS3 before it YLOD on me a couple of years ago, and anyway it turns out that it's already FAT32. The WiiMC channel recognized it and loaded up a few movies I'd backed up, so *crosses fingers* I hope I'm all set.

Edit: ^ Oh, are they that cheap now? I was thinking they're $50+. That's not so bad if my current drives don't work.

wrowa

Again the only thing that might matter is the formatting. I'm not sure if the Wii requires FAT32 but it probably does, and you generally don't want to format a terabyte drive in FAT32 because it won't be able to accommodate files larger than 4gb (and you'll lose all your data during the format, assuming it's currently in NTFS).

Well, he would only need a 16GB partition.

Though, is an unmodded Wii compatible with external hard drives? I was under the impression that you specifically need a USB flash drive in order to play DQX.

Forever

Banned
Well, he would only need a 16GB partition.

Though, is an unmodded Wii compatible with external hard drives? I was under the impression that you specifically need a USB flash drive in order to play DQX.

Well he says the Wii has no problem recognizing the drive, so I see no reason why it wouldn't work.

Aeana

The drive for DQ10 is formatted by the Wii with Nintendo's "WFS" filesystem, which is first being used with this game. It will format the whole drive, whatever it is, so using a terabyte drive seems like a waste.

And yeah, 16GB flash drives are $5-15.

Espresso

Banned
Thanks for the info, guys. I had no idea that flash drives had gotten so cheap, otherwise I wouldn't have raised an issue about it. Ordered one from Amazon for <$10.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Okay, Gloam sent me a PM with a bunch of screenshots from the &#21033;&#29992;&#21048;&#12434;&#36092;&#20837;&#12377;&#12427; (buy play ticket) menu option. I also went snooping around on the official site, and there's some additional info. It looks like you can enter credit card details right in the game, and it'll even let you register it for automatic payment. I think that should end up working out fine. I put my order in, but it won't ship for a day and a half. I got the fastest shipping, so hopefully it won't take too long. Looking forward to it now. And hopefully I'll be able to help those who don't understand Japanese get through stuff too, once I do.
^_^

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Ability to switch servers whenever is pretty great as it takes the biggest pain in the arse out of online gaming.

- finally got my moaning arse back on after a weekend (actually, been months, but hey) of wife/hospital drama, through offline, playing online as a Ogre called &#12468;&#12452;&#12523;&#12474;

Will be fairly low key drop in and out for today due to situation at home, but should get my head down starting monday night.

Forever

Banned
Thats their main hub town for where the train connects to. (Also I wouldnt believe the SS to be the 100% truth with what the game looks like. But it does look good when you use the component cables, but I would say its that sharp, unless its one of the in game cutscenes.)

It's probably just a real screenshot with post-processing AA added, like the photo mode in Halo 3 for example. That explains why it looks so smooth.

Odds are that Square ports this to Nintendo's next handheld after the 3DS. That way they can get some extra use out of the Wii assets, and the game would look great with AA added along with some of the second screen options from the Wii U version.

Espresso

Banned
I signed up for vpntraffic.com ($5/month, $35/year) to test it out, and it seems to work pretty well. Sites like YouTube think I'm located in Tokyo, Japan and there's no noticeable lag that I can see. Now I just have to wait for my shipment to arrive.

Forever

Banned
I signed up for vpntraffic.com ($5/month, $35/year) to test it out, and it seems to work pretty well. Sites like YouTube think I'm located in Tokyo, Japan and there's no noticeable lag that I can see. Now I just have to wait for my shipment to arrive.

If it ends up working for you, I'll switch the recommended VPN to that.

Kandinsky

Okay, Gloam sent me a PM with a bunch of screenshots from the &#21033;&#29992;&#21048;&#12434;&#36092;&#20837;&#12377;&#12427; (buy play ticket) menu option. I also went snooping around on the official site, and there's some additional info. It looks like you can enter credit card details right in the game, and it'll even let you register it for automatic payment. I think that should end up working out fine. I put my order in, but it won't ship for a day and a half. I got the fastest shipping, so hopefully it won't take too long. Looking forward to it now. And hopefully I'll be able to help those who don't understand Japanese get through stuff too, once I do.

Can't wait to hear how it goes, I just hope playing thru VPN is actually playable and not lag city. Will import if so.

Espresso

Banned
TdoTt.png

7wWP3.png

I'll test out some online games after dinner and let you know how it goes.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Just killed my first metal slime. Exp am guessing is around 1170ish, since another monster was with it making it go to 1200~ crazy good, but its totally random how you meet them. Ive seen a total of 6 so far.

Parakeetman

Ability to switch servers whenever is pretty great as it takes the biggest pain in the arse out of online gaming.

- finally got my moaning arse back on after a weekend (actually, been months, but hey) of wife/hospital drama, through offline, playing online as a Ogre called &#12468;&#12452;&#12523;&#12474;

Will be fairly low key drop in and out for today due to situation at home, but should get my head down starting monday night.

Awesome, so you are playing as an Ogre too? One thing Id suggest, is since we can collect a ton of copper / iron for crafting if you plan on going blacksmithing, wait till you are high enough level (20+) to go after armorsmithing. By far easier to make $$$. Weapon crafting is so flooded that you can hardly sell stuff at a profit. Even more so with everyone being a bunch of tits and selling things for less than they cost to make mats wise. Which also includes the more "rare" stuff.

Cotton is selling for the best right now at around 100G a piece. So getting stacks of that helps to make cash. Forget about killing monsters for $$$. Takes too long.

Our quests are not too bad either for moving the story along. Though Ive hit a wall again since lv 21 the monsters can still do a good amount of damage to us and if there is a boss fight where Im at can imagine its not going to be pretty.

---

To anyone living in Japan / can read Japanese highly recommend this guide - http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/408779637X/

Pro tip: Whenever you get 1000 gold put it in the bank. Reason being is you lose $$$ upon death, if you have to restart in the church due to no one being around to rez you. With how money is a problem in this game, you dont want to go losing a bunch over something stupid. lol Eps if you get in over your head with a boss fight. Since you cant escape from those, finding out you cant beat it is too late to hide away those pennies in your pocket! (just learned the hard way)

Parakeetman

The game is actually quite good, since unlike FFXI it feels like a game and not a job which is nice. What I mean by that is you can actually solo and not have to wait around looking for a party and the game itself isnt stressful.

Just killed my 2nd metal slime! :D

Parakeetman

Seriously more MMOs should do this player NPC support character idea. Works great and its pretty amusing trying out different combinations.

Currently am running 1 cleric and 2 bandits (for more chances of stealing loot) as I work on leveling up. Good stuff!

alf717

I didn't think an MMO on the Wii would have worked out so well but from what I am reading all of you with the game seem to be pleased. I don't think I would go through so much to import the game but maybe a US version may arrive or perhaps NoA will just wait it out on the WiiU version.

rpmurphy

The game is actually quite good, since unlike FFXI it feels like a game and not a job which is nice. What I mean by that is you can actually solo and not have to wait around looking for a party and the game itself isnt stressful.

Just killed my 2nd metal slime! :D

Do they still flee at random in this game?

Parakeetman

Do they still flee at random in this game?

Yes that they do. The AI is pretty smart and will focus their attacks on the metal slime above all other targets till it escapes. Was glad to see this.
Currently Ive never seen one on the world map. So far they only appear at random sometimes mixed in with the monsters Im fighting.

---

Also Forever great job on updating the OP! :D

Espresso

Banned
OK, so it's taken a while but I finally got my Wii connected to my VPN. At first I installed Windows XP in Boot Camp, but then it turned out that Connectify can only broadcast an access point in Windows 7 (Ad-hoc is all XP is capable of), so then I installed Windows 7 and set up everything again.

Once I did all that, I tested out 2 games, Mario Kart Wii and Black Ops. Black Ops connected to the server fine, and I was able to check players' stats pages and see the lobbies and members online, but it never connected me to a room. I tried at least 10 times and the lobby would just not move me into a player room. Oh well. Who knows why it wouldn't work...

Next I tried Mario Kart Wii. It connected quickly and matched me in a battle against 11 other racers. When it introduces your opponents at the start it said I was from the United States (maybe because my Wii and game are American?). Anyways, I played two battles all the way through and there was no lag. I realize that a 12 player race probably isn't a lot of load on a server but still I was kind of shocked at how well it played, considering I couldn't get anywhere in Black Ops.

I'll try more Nintendo titles in the morning, hopefully they work as well as MKWii did. I can't recommend this VPN just yet, will have to see how it handles an MMO first. Maybe I'll reinstall FFXI and put it through the paces in dynamis. :p

I'm just glad to have a working VPN connection to my Wii, to tell the truth. It took a lot of trial and error. Damn you, Square.

gogojira

I had no hype for this and I'd say it's one of the few times I was actually right along with all the negativity of these forums, but I'm, uh, sort of jealous of those playing DQX right now. I don't know, watching a live stream and it seems pretty charming and might be fun as a secondary MMO of sorts.

Square seems to have pretty aggressive plans for additional content, too, which is nice. Maybe it's just launch day hype, but I think I want it now.

putarorex

Found a nice mob for farming xp and gold--the &#12471;&#12540;&#12523;&#12489;&#12371;&#12382;&#12358;. Everyone was doing the same, so it was kind of a race to each mob. If you end up late you cheer on whoever got it. Got about three levels doing that and plenty of gold in a group. Also cleared some caves for chests and harvesting nodes. I am not doing any quests yet, just grinding, but it seems kinda fun. It should keep me occupied until GW2 comes out.

streaming kotaku's latest 5 hour video... but its 4am
it hard to get the song out of my head.

do a lot of guys play as girl characters in MMOs?

Parakeetman

I really love how the Bazaar is what you see is what you get with prices. None of this mucking about bidding. :D

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
So what are the first impressions so far, does it seem to hold its own as an MMORPG thanks to the DQ/JRPG twists? I mean gameplay wise, not that you'd just play it because you're a super fan of the franchise and it at least looks like it. Because I'm not, but I'm still interested because having not played FFXI it at least looks fresh, not like another WoW clone or similar, yet at the same time it seems fully featured with its auction hall and crafting and what not. Also, how substantial does the offline mode seem, I thought it would just be the prologue part but I read here that you can actually go back to that even after you go online. Does anything transfer between the modes and if so doesn't that leave an opening for cheating a la PSO since offline needs local saves?

Stream 1 is on again, I've viewed some of the guy's past stuff and some areas are really pretty, it's definitely not just flat terrain (but the lighting is indeed flat, it doesn't seem to have any dynamic lights at all, just a shift from day to night or a preset mood for indoors etc). Although a lot of his time is spent fighting the same enemies in the same area, I guess that's expected. Although I think it would have been better to keep the combat more like DQIX in presentation but with an active timer, allowing free movement can lead to awkward looking interactions, even if it's expected of MMORPGs. It would make it seem even more unique.

I've been watching these streams trying to think about what the Wii U version can improve on the looks of this game

I need to go watch some HD MMOs to compare

also has Japan had a popular MMO in the past? I thought MMO was a Korea/China thing?

putarorex

Gotta in a group and spent an hour killing mobs and raking in the gold and xp. I spent skill points on my stick line so I regenerate magic points at the end of each fight which makes things much better as a healer. I know there are quests but I have been just grouping for xp. It kinda reminds of me EQ in that way, with people just killing mobs to level up and get gold for gear. I haven't even tried crafting but I have a lot of materials in the bank.

Dwarves are awesome. We were four dwarves waddling around stomping through mobs waiting for a metal slime to pop (never did). It doesn't look like they have naming restrictions since one dwarf I ran with was called Kusoyaro.

Top Bottom