• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest XI is coming to the west

Fiendcode

mThe only mainline DQ (unless I'm mistaken) to come to PC is DQX, an MMO with crossplay to the other versions.
Not quite the same thing but DQ and DQII were on NEC and MSX computers in Japan. People forget but Enix started out as a computer game publisher before moving to Famicom.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I think you guys are jumping to gun if you think a Switch version will be announced for the West, give it a year after the actual announcement and release of the Japanese Switch version. Maybe 2019?

tauroxd

I think you guys are jumping to gun if you think a Switch version will be announced for the West, give it a year after the actual announcement and release of the Japanese Switch version. Maybe 2019?

I don't think it will be that later, what was the point of announcing it exist so early on if they were going to release that much later? The only thing we can be sure of will be released in the west is the PS4 version but I'm going to pray evey night that Nintendo make some kind of deal to bring over the 3DS version at the same time. Because I don't really think that SE will be in any hurry to bring that version, they didn't do it with DQVII and DQVIIIm that was take to Nintendo saying they will at least share the cost of those. I did my part buying both of them, so I hope it counts for something.

SgtCobra

I bet we'll get 3DS and Switch.

To be honest, I'd be pretty letdown if we don't get the 3DS version as it looks great.
Square Enix would be out of their mind to ignore the best selling platform in the west. I even expect the game to be released for PC too someday.

Linkura

I'm sure it'll take at least a year and a half to get over here, so I'll keep my preorder of the PS4 Japanese version. Still good news though.

AmyS

Good, expected.

Now then, please let it ultimately be for all platforms: PlayStation 4, 3DS and eventually, Switch.

Squire

Banned
Sure, but you have to start somewhere....consistent releases and putting the games on PC/Steam would really help in the west.

The fact that DQXI is on PS4 and looks the way it look will already help quite a bit compared to the last remakes. I hope this can be the start of a small DQ renaissance in the west - especially if they follow up with DQ Builders 2 and start releasing the main games/remakes on PC/Steam as well.

I think it's gonna hobble its chances if it releases in the west with no voice acting and that MIDI soundtrack.

mieumieu

The MIDI soundtrack kinda ruined my excitement towards the game for me, which stinks because visually it looks gorgeous. But regardless about how I feel about the game, I think a lot of people expected it to release in the West and this announcement came out of nowhere without a trailer, so there isn't much to talk about.

I am all for MIDI soundtrack if it means that arsehole bigoted composer doesn't get as much money as he wants.

Wamb0wneD

Soon..

tumblr_inline_nvxx8norpo1tbw30q_500.gif

Hahaha where is this from?

7 was boring as hell and made me drop the series for a while. Picked up 8 back in January and finally got around to it and its wayyyyyyy better

Hope this is good too

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I am all for MIDI soundtrack if it means that arsehole bigoted composer doesn't get as much money as he wants.

I know he's a very questionable person but I usually tend to separate his skill from his personal propagandas. :p

I like his music (I love DQVIII's overworld theme) and I'm willing to buy the soundtrack but I will not support his propaganda.

Lucreto

I'm praying this gets the PS2 DQVIII treatment where the localized versions get an orchestrated soundtrack and voice acting, but I'm not holding my breath.

Hopefully they spend a bit more time and we get these.

Is if confirmed there is no voice acting in the Japanese version?

theofficefan99

Hopefully they spend a bit more time and we get these.

Is if confirmed there is no voice acting in the Japanese version?

Well we have heard zero voice acting so it's safe to say the Japanese version is unvoiced.

And yeah, DQVIII released in the US a year after its Japanese release, so I'm assuming it'll be a year for this too.

GamerJM

Banned
Disappointing way for a game like this to be confirmed. No silly rumor leadup but also no announcement trailer (which we'll probably eventually get but still).

Lucreto

Well we have heard zero voice acting so it's safe to say the Japanese version is unvoiced.

And yeah, DQVIII released in the US a year after its Japanese release, so I'm assuming it'll be a year for this too.

Usually only the major cut scene are voiced and I haven't seen any of those so far. It has been mostly gameplay.

If it's like DQVIII and only the important parts are voiced I can live with that.

If they do bring this over, I hope they take the time to put in the orchestral OST and voice-acting in the western version, much like how 8 was handled.

Dakhil

If they do bring this over, I hope they take the time to put in the orchestral OST and voice-acting in the western version, much like how 8 was handled.

I have a feeling that this won't be the case, considering how Square Enix handled the Western localisation of Dragon Quest VII and Dragon Quest VIII.

But hopefully, I'm wrong.

I can totally see them adding voice acting (suprise to hear after DQ Heroes and DQ8 3DS it isn't standard now), but with what's been going on with the music, I'm not gettign my hopes up.

Top Bottom