• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest XI is coming to the west

Scrawnton

Spring 2019. I lived through the horrible localization period and the waiting games. I'm not getting my hopes up for a 2018 release, though I would be extremely happy if it happens.

Ricker

roNd8w3.png

Dragon Quest 11 confirmed for western release

A Dutch PR company just confirmed to Gamer.nl that they are handling the PR for the western release of Dragon Quest 11, thus confirming that the game is coming to the west. Platform(s)/release date weren't mentioned.

(Full disclosure: I contribute to Gamer.nl, but thought this was newsworthy)

Good job guys...now to wait for everything else lol,release,platform etc etc...

MoonFrog

This is good. I've got all three possible platforms so I will be playing it but here's to hoping there's no bullshit and all versions make it over.

Bladenic

Don't expect the 3DS, just PS4. But I'd love to be proven super wrong. I wouldn't expect Nintendo to swoop in for the 3DS version given that it's also on PS4 though.

Ydelnae

I think we'll get it Summer 2018 at the earliest. Would surprise me if it's released during the first months of next year.

13ruce

Banned
Spring 2019. I lived through the horrible localization period and the waiting games. I'm not getting my hopes up for a 2018 release, though I would be extremely happy if it happens.

Is a single person translating the game? If it takes that long that would be insane it's not the 90s/00's anymore.

But it's Square Enix after all.

sense

If DQ Heroes was a performance metric for localization/platform choice, we'd never get the game anywhere :^p
Are you taking into account asia or other regions outside Japan or are you just going by launch npd/U.K. Numbers which I agree were not great.... we do not know ltd numbers of the PS4 version unlike steam so the game could have sold a bunch at lower prices. Niche games rely on long legs and not launch numbers.
I expect this game to launch early 2018 in the west on PS4 and maybe steam as well. I doubt 3ds version comes over unless Nintendo does it themselves.

zenspider

Need all 3 versions for the west.

Actually...the PS4 version exists because Horii wanted a big budget single player console DQ for the big screen. 3DS version was the afterthought

Source?

Making 2 versions of a game on one cartridge is quite the afterthought.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Source?

Making 2 versions of a game on one cartridge is quite the afterthought.

Afterthought as in...the 3DS version was pitched later, not that its low quality or that they didnt spend alot of time thinking how to bring this game to 3DS.

Source is the man himself.

Expected a lot more pages. This is incredibly exciting news.

Most ppl. expected this too happen..so without a official statement or more information there really isnt much to discuss here.

Joqu

What an anticlimactic way to get this news out. Still, great. I really need to know the platforms now.

Scrawnton

Lol, it won't take that long. I would even say Spring, aka May 2018.

Is a single person translating the game? If it takes that long that would be insane it's not the 90s/00's anymore.

But it's Square Enix after all.

I'm just being cautious and assuming the worst. Western Dragon Quest fans have been yanked around the past five years and it sucked. I'm assuming the worst so I can hopefully be surprised.

I really hope it's the 3DS version although I doubt it

I honestly don't mind too much which it is, I'd just like to know so I can make an informed decision lol honestly not sure which version I want. I'd prefer to play the game on a handheld in an ideal world so in that sense the Ps4 sku on switch would let me choose freely between the two different versions either on switch or 3ds oppose to having to decide if I really have the time for a game that big on ps4 and that would be nice, but like I say I just want to know.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
I will buy copies for all platforms...Just announce it properly SE...

cw_sasuke

I don't know why. English gamers don't actually care about Dragon Quest games, only that they get made for their favored platform to boost sales.

DQ VIII and DQIX sold well enough here, there are enough DQ fans in the west. Most other JRPG publisher would be more than happy with those numbers. SE just needs to get down from their high horse and realize that DQ in the West isnt as big as DQ in Japan...cant just not give a damn about the series for years and then expect everyone to show up the second you decide to localize a title again.

If Bamco and Atlus can do it with their niche series so can Square Enix.

MoonFrog

Source is here: https://shonenjumpplus.com/episode/13932016480028897910

Interview is in the back.

I don't know why. English gamers don't actually care about Dragon Quest games, only that they get made for their favored platform to boost sales.
Personally I take offense but yesterday here kind of confirmed this for me. Tell PS4 (who claim they want to try the series) only gamers that they could try the series on their phones (competent versions) to no avail. Don't even have to buy a Nintendo platform, although a 2DS would be a relatively cheap way to get access to 4-9 too. If you're curious about the series and don't have/want to have a Nintendo...the games are still right there to try.

IDK, just comes across as the series is only interesting in that it is returning to stationary (PS) consoles.

RPGCrazied

Good. Now SE officially announce it! No way this was going to stay in Japan. Those days are over pretty much. Specially for a game in this scope.

Ydelnae

Some people only care about Japanese games until localization is confirmed and they move onto the next non-localized game without buying the game they were begging for first. If the thread was "DQXI localization still undecided by S-E/Sony/Nintendo" we would have reached page 20 by now lol

It's nice that DQ has a loyal fan base that follow every release and is actually interested in news about the franchise, but I can't stop yawning whenever people try to pin the series as one of the biggest JRPG IPs in the west and now S-E refuses to treat it the way it deserves. Yet whenever a new title releases or news are announced, you get to face reality with threads that don't reach 5 page and the indifference from the overall community, which will only come back to DQ threads the moment it's revealed that the new release is coming with MIDI soundtrack, some form of censoring or questions about how they are not porting the game to x platform to gain more fans.

Let's see if DQXI actually gets the response people were claiming it would get in the west, because it crushed my soul seeing DQVII pass a bit unnoticed last year after how vocal people were about their desire to play it. There's the "remake and spin off games should not be used to gauge interest in a new entry" argument, but I doubt many overseas fans played DQVII on their first release, if it ever released in their country.

aravuus

Not surprised, but I guess I was optimistic before. Getting the PS4 version day one.

Every DQ XI thread I've seen here has been depressingly short. Like 1 or 2 pages most of the time.

cw_sasuke

They sold ok. But the threads about the games are still dead.

Sure, but you have to start somewhere....consistent releases and putting the games on PC/Steam would really help in the west.

The fact that DQXI is on PS4 and looks the way it look will already help quite a bit compared to the last remakes. I hope this can be the start of a small DQ renaissance in the west - especially if they follow up with DQ Builders 2 and start releasing the main games/remakes on PC/Steam as well.

Trago

Sure, but you have to start somewhere....consistent releases and putting the games on PC/Steam would really help in the west.

The fact that DQXI is on PS4 and looks the way it look will already help quite a bit compared to the last remakes. I hope this can be the start of a small DQ renaissance in the west - especially if they follow up with DQ Builders 2 and start releasing the main games/remakes on PC/Steam as well.

Like I said in another thread, it would be really cool if word of mouth helped bring this game to the level of Persona 5 or Nier in terms of sales.

kromeo

Like I said in another thread, it would be really cool if word of mouth helped bring this game to the level of Persona 5 or Nier in terms of sales.

I don't think that could happen even if the game scored a perfect 100 metacritic

cw_sasuke

DQ9 sold +1m in the west....Ninokuni PS3 sold +1.5m as well - so thats Persona, Nier ballpark. Doubt SE would bother with it if the games couldnt sell at least that much on 2/3 plattforms.

They just have to pick the right spot to release the game.....something like a HD Remaster of DQ8 on PS4/PC would have helped alot to build hype for DQXI...but well, cant have it all.

Top Bottom