• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest XI "reconfirmed" for NX, possible simultaneous release with PS4/3DS

Exentryk

This game looks so good! Turn based is just icing on the cake.

0gyMXJo.gif

PehM23P.gif

Randomizer

Yeah, both versions look cool in their own ways:

egyVXhp.gif
From the looks of that gif the movement in the 3DS version appears to be grid based. As the upper screen must match the lower screen it makes sense. But it's a tad disappointing to move one square at a time in a 3D game. All for the sake of a silly gimmick to include a simultaneous 2D version.

inner-G

Banned
From the looks of that gif the movement in the 3DS version appears to be grid based. As the upper screen must match the lower screen it makes sense. But it's a tad disappointing to move one square at a time in a 3D game. All for the sake of a silly gimmick to include a simultaneous 2D version.
Kind of makes sense though, since the circle pad is more like a d-pad that slides than an 'analog' stick.

Fraxin

Still worry that the PS4 version is bad. It's gonna be tough to match Level 5.
DQX was in-house and from what I heard it turned out fine. U think going forward Square might develop DQ games in-house with some assistance from other companies.

It's all or nothing in a direction, there's not degrees of sensitivity like an analog stick

What about games where pressing it slightly in a direction makes you walk and pressing it full on makes you run? Wouldn't that make it closer to analog than a d-pad? Also just the fact that you can go in directions other the the 8 standard directions that a d-pad would allow.

Granted it's nowhere near as full-on analog as an analog stick

beril

I'm not sure about PS4 outside the image with the Lips, but this shows some battle/gameplay of the 3DS version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlUtJUh1XxQ

It's all or nothing in a direction, there's not degrees of sensitivity like an analog stick

That's simply not true. It's every bit as analogue as a stick and I can think of at least a few controller sticks that are less precise than the 3DS circle pad.

Also from that footage it's pretty clear that the game is not grid based

Kind of makes sense though, since the circle pad is more like a d-pad that slides than an 'analog' stick.

You must be very misinformed then, because the Circle Pad is 100% analog, like the analog nub on the PSP, but smoother and more precise.
Just look at games like Monster Hunter or Mario 3D Land, which use the Circle Pad as its main control option.

EDIT:
What games were you playing, dude? I can sneak, walk and run in Monster Hunter depending on how far I push the Circle Pad.

Shiggy

You must be very misinformed then, because the Circle Pad is 100% analog, like the analog nub on the PSP, but smoother and more precise.
Just look at games like Monster Hunter or Mario 3D Land, which use the Circle Pad as its main control option.

The movement in 3D Land would rather go with the dpad theory as you can only walk into 8 directions. Not the best example to show that it's analog.

Eh, I'm not scared about this taking too long before coming stateside, it's not relegated to Nintendo platforms so I guess it will arrive within one year of launch.

The movement in 3D Land would rather go with the dpad theory as you can only walk into 8 directions. Not the best example to show that it's analog.

You are thinking of 3D World on Wii U. 3D Land on 3DS has true analog 360° movement with the Circle Pad. Just tested it, too. You don't snap to diagonals.
Even though you actually run by pushing Y (or B depending on your control scheme) you still have different walking speeds depending on how far you push the Circle Pad in any direction.

beril

Haha I expected this to be brought up but it's not really true. It's actually much more complex than that The game guides you towards the main 8 directions but it's possible to move in any direction in between. Also, despite using a run button it still has degrees of movement speed depending on how far you push the pad.

Ryoku

You are thinking of 3D World on Wii U. 3D Land on 3DS has true analog 360° movement with the Circle Pad. Just tested it, too. You don't snap to diagonals.
Even though you actually run by pushing Y (or B depending on your control scheme) you still have different walking speeds depending on how far you push the Circle Pad in any direction.

3D World has full 360° movement.

Shiggy

I just tried on my 3DS, I can only move left, right, front, back, and diagonals.

3D World has full 360° movement.

Oh, you're right. It snaps to diagonals quite forcefully so I never really noticed that.

I just tried on my 3DS, I can only move left, right, front, back, and diagonals.

Then you should try again, because I can go in any direction I want. It sort of snaps to diagonals when you run. Try slow circles on the Circle Pad. You will see that Mario has 360° movement.

beril

you're not trying hard enough. It guides you towards the 8 directions, but it's not locked to it. It's also level dependant, Level 3-1 is an example of a level with completely free movement

Biske

The whole game won't be both though. They've said at some point youll have to chose between 3D or the old school 2D. I assume after that movement in 3D will be normal.

Also in that clip they seem to just be using the dpad. Maybe using the circle pad has dif walking

Shiggy

Oh, you're right. It snaps to diagonals quite forcefully so I never really noticed that.

Then you should try again, because I can go in any direction I want. It sort of snaps to diagonals when you run. Try slow circles on the Circle Pad. You will see that Mario has 360° movement.

you're not trying hard enough. It guides you towards the 8 directions, but it's not locked to it. It's also level dependant, Level 3-1 is an example of a level with completely free movement

It seems to be indeed level dependent. I tried again in 3-1 and 3-Ship. The movement in 3-1 is so much smoother.

Anyway, this is completely off topic now, sorry.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Hang on a second. 3D Land may very well snap Mario to diagonals, but it's common knowledge that the 3DS Circle Pad allows for fully analogue 360 degree movement, it's nothing like a D-Pad at all. Play pretty much any fully 3D game on the system (or both the Fire Emblem games with analogue cursor movement enabled) for proof.

That the 3DS version of DQXI locks you on a grid due to the 2D gimmick is indeed disappointing in a 3D game.

Shiggy

Hang on a second. 3D Land may very well snap Mario to diagonals, but it's common knowledge that the 3DS Circle Pad allows for fully analogue 360 degree movement, it's nothing like a D-Pad at all. Play pretty much any fully 3D game on the system (or both the Fire Emblem games with analogue cursor movement enabled) for proof.

Never ever doubted that.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Never ever doubted that.

Aside from the 3D Land agreement, I was speaking more to inner-G, who is flat out wrong.

You have never played a 3DS, have you? You could not be any more wrong.

Top Bottom