• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragonball should have ended at ____

Dragonball should have ended at:

• Total voters

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Many people feel Dragonball went on longer than it needed to. Or at the very least that there were better “stopping points”.

I vote Cell because thematically its a perfect full circle. Goku grows into his own man, has offspring, and that son becomes protector of the Earth. It has parallels with the King Piccolo arc, with Cell declaring his dominance on television, and a young boy standing up to face him.

ChazAshley

Gold Member
Hard question to answer - mainly because many DB fans know that it was supposed to end at the end of Freiza as well as the Cell Saga - but popularity just kept it going. Ending in the Freiza arc would have been great, because it would have ended on the "legendary super saiyan was Goku all along" blah blah blah.

Cell Saga was also a good point to end as well - as Heimdall_Xtreme Heimdall_Xtreme points out.

The problem is - as a Dragonball "fanboy" that just enjoys my childhood show - the Buu arc and heck, even Super had enough moments that made me appreciate being a fan that I often will blind myself to the nonsensical stories and continuity. People can complain about the Potara earrings "retcon" in super - but eh, I'm sure equally they were marking out to seeing Vegito one more time.

But then again... Dragon ball Heroes exists...... hmm. Maybe it SHOULD have ended at the Freiza arc.

InterMusketeer

Gold Member
Frieza would be a weird end IMO. All the setup about Gohan's latent power hasn't come to fruition yet and we only catch a glimpse of what a Super Saiyan is. Cell is a better ending where all characters's arcs reach their natural conclusion. While I like early Buu saga, the entire premise feels too similar to Cell, with a dormant evil that resides on Earth. That's where I stopped watching as a kid as well.

Fbh

Frieza would be a weird end IMO. All the setup about Gohan's latent power hasn't come to fruition yet and we only catch a glimpse of what a Super Saiyan is. Cell is a better ending where all characters's arcs reach their natural conclusion. While I like early Buu saga, the entire premise feels too similar to Cell, with a dormant evil that resides on Earth. That's where I stopped watching as a kid as well.

Agreed.
I see the opinion about how Frieza should have been the final arc often, but IMO Cell works better. Gohan awakens his latent power, Goku decides to not come back from death and you get a sort of open ended handover to a "new generation". (also not seeing soccer moms at my primary school freak out over "Mr.Satan" would have been a shame)

That said I still like the Boo saga, particularly the whole Vegeta side of it. The whole "Hang in there Kakarrot, you are N1" monologue is the closest anyone in this manga/anime has to proper character development.

Last edited:

kunonabi

As much as I love the Gohan and Videl high school stuff the answer is Cell. There was certainly a story that could be told afterwards with Gohan being humbled after playing super hero and having to face a true threat as the face of a new generation but Toriyama was not going to be the person to do it. A lot of arcs and themes get paid off with Cell so it would have been a great stopping point.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I like where it has gone. For me with this series the story arcs were never as important as the fights and humor. Both of those have stayed good so that's fine with me.

The Cell Saga’s highest highs matched the highest highs of the Frieza saga. I was on the edge of my seat during most of both arcs. As a series ending point it deserves to be there. Buu saga does not.

However, from a storytelling standpoint, they had to dumb down Vegeta in order for the Cell saga to work. He dropped the ball multiple times in situations where, had this been the Frieza saga, he would have been the smartest in the room and played his cards right.

Vegeta fearing Frieza made him sneaky, cunning, and deadly. The fun of the Frieza saga was that you had 3 teams in a free-for-all: Team Frieza, Team Good, and Team Vegeta. For a short time there was a similar free-for-all in Cell Saga: Team Android, Team Good, and Team Cell.

However, the fact that Vegeta had zero fear of the androids after a superior model had broken his arm and nearly killed him, and he instead came back even cockier and dumber than before, just felt like crappy writing to show a difference between how him and Trunks would think even though they both would normally choose the smart play but for different reasons(Vegeta to save himself, Trunks to save everyone).

That ‘cocky factor’ ruined Adult Gohan in Buu saga too. Even from saying all of this and knowing the Cell Saga had a few character writing issues, it still has the better torch-passing series ending.

kunonabi

The Cell Saga’s highest highs matched the highest highs of the Frieza saga. I was on the edge of my seat during most of both arcs. As a series ending point it deserves to be there. Buu saga does not.

However, from a storytelling standpoint, they had to dumb down Vegeta in order for the Cell saga to work. He dropped the ball multiple times in situations where, had this been the Frieza saga, he would have been the smartest in the room and played his cards right.

Vegeta fearing Frieza made him sneaky, cunning, and deadly. The fun of the Frieza saga was that you had 3 teams in a free-for-all: Team Frieza, Team Good, and Team Vegeta. For a short time there was a similar free-for-all in Cell Saga: Team Android, Team Good, and Team Cell.

However, the fact that Vegeta had zero fear of the androids after a superior model had broken his arm and nearly killed him, and he instead came back even cockier and dumber than before, just felt like crappy writing to show a difference between how him and Trunks would think even though they both would normally choose the smart play but for different reasons(Vegeta to save himself, Trunks to save everyone).

That ‘cocky factor’ ruined Adult Gohan in Buu saga too. Even from saying all of this and knowing the Cell Saga had a few character writing issues, it still has the better torch-passing series ending.
That's just the problem with Toriyama in general. The longer he writes a character in dragonball the worse it gets. It's obvious that Toriyama doesn't give two shits about Vegeta in particular especially after Super.

I don't even know anymore. I was on board with Super continuing, then.. they fucking regurgitate something resembling DBZ+GT? I dunno, anymore. What is the point of shitting on Super for this story where the Fighters are turned to children? I don't have the fucking time to invest in this. Sorry-not-sorry. I don't even care that it's helmed by the man himself. Maybe, after I see it start to peak... he might surprise me. Toriyama. Dragon Ball Daima will have to do major shit to sell itself to me. After reading the manga, and getting this? >_<(WTF?!)

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I was really into DBZ up until after Buu, so basically the end of Z. Majin Vegeta was a good arc, so it was good. Cell was excellent and the ending was cool with SSJ2 Gohan. I thought Buu helped the later movies and it showed a crazy powerful enemy.
That’s where I stopped caring. I didn’t get into Super. I saw Goku’s new forms via YouTube clips like SSGSSJ and Ultra Instinct. I just don’t get it? I don’t get the new cast or the reason to why they’re fighting. The whole god of death thing went over my head.

I thought GT was a lot more contained than Super (from what I know about Super) and I could be wrong. I have zero friends into DBZ. Lol

Then I read this:

So they’re going back to the GT Kid Goku. That’s cool, maybe that will be good. I know nothing about Super. I liked Broly and Janemba. Bojack was awesome. I also thought the future Trunks timeline was interesting. That’s why I wanted the Buu Saga. Take away from all the depressing Cell Saga/Android Saga stuff.

Last edited:

Soltype

Cell saga would have been a decent send off if they wanted to stretch the series, Frieza would have been a perfect send off though. I watched DB/DBZ a few years back, everything felt like it was building to Frieza so it's the best ending point.

Sleepwalker

Buu saga for sure, cell saga was better but I dont regret watching the buu saga.

GT gave me the best spanish opening song but is largely forgettabls.

Sleepwalker

Vegeta is my favorite character in DB but I don't think he was dumbed down, he was more experienced yes buf after finally becoming SS he reverted back to his his state prior to planet Namek, cocky, full of himself, intelligent but also reckless. Once he goes into the time room and comes back being able to turn into SS2 he feels he can solo the whole thing.

At this point hes stronger than Goku ever was and so his head is bigger than ever, so for me its ok that he decides to let Cell achieve perfect form. Yes it wasn't the most intelligent decision, but it was the most "prideful".

Someone as stubborn as Vegeta needs to go through multiple humblings before actually changing his way of thinking. He comes to term with it in the Buu saga.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I only read the original manga. Frieza is the peak of the story, no question. Epic as epic can get. I re-read that part so many times. But Cell is an awesome design, one of Toriyama’s best, and while the Cell saga started slow, the finale was perfect. Yeah, how they defeated Buu is awesome, but there was just so much bs and convenient stuff in the Buu arc, and at that point the art in the manga was a far cry from the absolute perfection of its beginnings. So Cell is my answer.

ssringo

I fell off hard after Cell. But I was also starting to get tired of the formula in general from other long form shonen.

Soodanim

Gold Member
I tried to look up what I have missed since the Tournament arc, but YouTube is full of fan content. I've never seen anything like it.

So GAF: what anime have I missed since that tournament in Super ended? I haven't yet seen Broly.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Super Buu catching hands from chocolate was a low ass point but Super Buu showing up to fight Gotenks and Piccolo saying "You gotta kill everyone on Earth" and Super Buu is like "Say less" and blasts them all immediately... Savage.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I tried to look up what I have missed since the Tournament arc, but YouTube is full of fan content. I've never seen anything like it.

So GAF: what anime have I missed since that tournament in Super ended? I haven't yet seen Broly.

Just make some popcorn and watch Broly & Super Hero. They are both short & are the only current continuation from Super. Broly is action-focused, Super Hero is 50/50 story/action.

BlackTron

I don't have the psychological ability to watch episode after episode of DB anymore post-late-DBZ. Back in the day I started laughing at the Buu saga and finished it anyway. Since then I gave Super a chance, but wasn't that impressed by the conclusion of the arc (Zamasu/Goku Black). But I still like these efficient contained DBZ bombs like the Broly movie.

It's kind of like Pokemon, this big media franchise with lots of errant content but I just want a condensed injection/shot of what always made it good.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
I don't have the psychological ability to watch episode after episode of DB anymore post-late-DBZ. Back in the day I started laughing at the Buu saga and finished it anyway. Since then I gave Super a chance, but wasn't that impressed by the conclusion of the arc (Zamasu/Goku Black). But I still like these efficient contained DBZ bombs like the Broly movie.

It's kind of like Pokemon, this big media franchise with lots of errant content but I just want a condensed injection/shot of what always made it good.
DBZ Kai is what you’re looking for, I wouldn’t go back to the OG version either.

BlackTron

DBZ Kai is what you’re looking for, I wouldn’t go back to the OG version either.

Maybe. My issue was really with new DB content (anything post-late-DBZ). I get that DBZ is hilarious in how padded it is and everything but OTOH I like the original music, voice cast and everything. Sometimes I'll get around this with something like a fan edit of a fight that had been across 30 episodes in one 2 hour "movie".

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
Super Buu catching hands from chocolate was a low ass point but Super Buu showing up to fight Gotenks and Piccolo saying "You gotta kill everyone on Earth" and Super Buu is like "Say less" and blasts them all immediately... Savage.
This is why I loved the Buu saga. So many small parts that change the world of Dragon Ball and make it whole. And Buu was perfect as the last bad guy. First time that Earth get destroyed. First time that Goku stop a fight and don't plan to fight himself. Vegeta ending being perfect. A open ending that allow the manga to end in a good note. How amazing it is to see Goku life fro being a kid to becomimg a grandfather ? Plus the films around that time period? Janemba was amazing.

Kenpachii

After cell sage, buu sage was never that good. GT was another something we didn't need.

After cell they should have gone straight into dragonball super.

I feel like it should have ended at Cell with Gohan being the most powerful. Dragonball Z from the first couple of episodes was centred around Gohan having this hidden power that you would constantly get glimpses of. It felt like the culmination of that.

Vegeta is my favorite character in DB but I don't think he was dumbed down, he was more experienced yes buf after finally becoming SS he reverted back to his his state prior to planet Namek, cocky, full of himself, intelligent but also reckless. Once he goes into the time room and comes back being able to turn into SS2 he feels he can solo the whole thing.

At this point hes stronger than Goku ever was and so his head is bigger than ever, so for me its ok that he decides to let Cell achieve perfect form. Yes it wasn't the most intelligent decision, but it was the most "prideful".

Someone as stubborn as Vegeta needs to go through multiple humblings before actually changing his way of thinking. He comes to term with it in the Buu saga.
The namek arc showed that he wasn't just a typical cocky villain like Nappa and that he had a brain. He knew that he was dealing with a power far greater than his own and acted accordingly. He used tactics(like a soldier would). He waited for enemies to separate before engaging. He even knew when to feign death and retreat when an enemy overpowered him (like the Zarbon first fight). He used tricks he learned on earth(like hiding power levels). Yes, he was cocky in demeanor whenever he first spoke to them, but it all felt in a smart way(for some enemies he would get a rise out of them to make them attack first). He made one big mistake during that arc, thinking Gohan and Krillin were dumber than him when it came to finding dragonballs. I don't count him dying to Frieza as a mistake, as it felt more like a bluff and a gamble to ensure that Frieza didn't get that wish and he was out of moves.

Compare all of this to Cell arc Vegeta and it isn't even close. Even when you explain the events again that I already know of, it doesn't help. Once a new ceiling of power was presented, he should have acted accordingly after the broken arm moment. It all just makes him look worse from a writing standpoint and it just isn't good enough to me to write it away with 'cause pride'. If it wasn't for Gohan's entire arc and Trunks' cool backstory, Frieza saga would have the easy vote from me.

And what makes this worse is that he becomes the tactician again briefly during both Super tournaments, which makes me believe that classic meme that 'Toriyama forgot'.

I'm just thankful that him and his team never fully ruined Future Trunks.

BlackTron

This is why I loved the Buu saga. So many small parts that change the world of Dragon Ball and make it whole. And Buu was perfect as the last bad guy. First time that Earth get destroyed. First time that Goku stop a fight and don't plan to fight himself. Vegeta ending being perfect. A open ending that allow the manga to end in a good note. How amazing it is to see Goku life fro being a kid to becomimg a grandfather ? Plus the films around that time period? Janemba was amazing.

It's a testament to how good some parts of the Buu saga were that I still remember them so vividly (like Vegeta karate chopping the kids before self-destructing). Having only watched it once and never wanting to go back because the villain himself was SO lame and just bad compared to Cell. In the way that it "fills in the world" and makes you need to watch, yet sucks at a major tenet, reminds me of Star Wars.

Even during the most weeb stage of my life (teenager) I thought Buu was dumb and silly. So in order to enjoy all the other cool serious stuff happening around him I had to compartmentalize. There was just no other way to take it seriously. I imagine the original concept in the manga was easier to take without VA, or color for that matter.

Little Mac

If I wanted to watch the Dragon Ball series that are considered canon … which according to google is:

Dragon Ball.
Dragon Ball Z (or Kai)
Dragon Ball Z Movie: Battle of Gods.
Dragon Ball Z Movie: Resurrection 'F'
Dragon Ball Super (start ep 28, 1-27 is a movie retelling)
Dragon Ball Super Movie: Broly.
Dragon Ball Super Movie: Super Hero

Which anime service should I use? What’s the best one?

Last edited:
If I wanted to what the Dragon Ball series that are considered canon … which according to google is:

Dragon Ball.
Dragon Ball Z (or Kai)
Dragon Ball Z Movie: Battle of Gods.
Dragon Ball Z Movie: Resurrection 'F'
Dragon Ball Super (start ep 28, 1-27 is a movie retelling)
Dragon Ball Super Movie: Broly.
Dragon Ball Super Movie: Super Hero

Which anime service should I use? What’s the best one?
The answer used to be funimation. Funimation was absorbed by Crunchyroll(which has been a terrible deal so far for dubbed fans like myself), so my new answer is Crunchyroll.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
It's a testament to how good some parts of the Buu saga were that I still remember them so vividly (like Vegeta karate chopping the kids before self-destructing). Having only watched it once and never wanting to go back because the villain himself was SO lame and just bad compared to Cell. In the way that it "fills in the world" and makes you need to watch, yet sucks at a major tenet, reminds me of Star Wars.

Even during the most weeb stage of my life (teenager) I thought Buu was dumb and silly. So in order to enjoy all the other cool serious stuff happening around him I had to compartmentalize. There was just no other way to take it seriously. I imagine the original concept in the manga was easier to take without VA, or color for that matter.
Gotenks is the ultimate proof that Toriyama really don't care about being serious if he can get away with it. But with his previous work Dr Slump we already knew that. At 10 years old DBZ was perfect to me so nostalgia made me find excuses to all of the problems that it may have. Still love it to this day.

LordOfChaos

Gohan's latent power as the series kept going:
d0en60f7pb8a1.jpg

Top Bottom