• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma 2 | Review Thread

What scores do you think Dragon's Dogma 2 will get?

• 60-65%

Votes: 4 0.9%
  • 66-69%

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • 70-75%

Votes: 4 0.9%
  • 76-79%

Votes: 17 3.8%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 121 27.2%
  • 86-89%

Votes: 196 44.0%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 83 18.7%
  • 96-100%

Votes: 18 4.0%

• Total voters

GymWolf

GiFoLNl.gif

Draugoth

Gold Member
I was planing to update the thread tomorrow, but looks like reviews will not come out tomorrow, so sorry if the thread doesnt get updated.

Last edited:

Comandr

80-89 is a low score?
Many would consider AAA games getting an 80 to be a mark of death. By your logic an “average” game would be like 50/100. 5/10. Not bad. Not excellent.

50 is not an “average” game. It’s unplayable. I can’t tell if you’re being genuine or not.

Edited for moar: pokemon scarlet/violet scored low 70s, and are some of the worst reviewed games in pokemon history, scoring even lower than the universally hated BD/SP. These games were thrashed for bugs, performance issues, crashing, horrible graphics, etc. Yet they were still 7/10. By that metric, that would be “very good,” right?

I stand by my point.

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Many would consider AAA games getting an 80 to be a mark of death. By your logic an “average” game would be like 50/100. 5/10. Not bad. Not excellent.

50 is not an “average” game. It’s unplayable. I can’t tell if you’re being genuine or not.

Edited for moar: pokemon scarlet/violet scored low 70s, and are some of the worst reviewed games in pokemon history, scoring even lower than the universally hated BD/SP. These games were thrashed for bugs, performance issues, crashing, horrible graphics, etc. Yet they were still 7/10. By that metric, that would be “very good,” right?

I stand by my point.
Where did you grow up?

In the USA 90-100 is an A, 80-89 is a B, 70-79 is a C(average), 60-69 is a D (although below 65 used to be a F, and in most still is), then below 60 is a failure.

Most here follow that same logic applying it to games. 70-79 is average/good. 80+ we go into good/great/amazing as you near closer to 100.

Your Pokemon example means they thought it was average/good, which is reflected by the issues you pointed. 7/10 games tend to have apparent issues, but some of those can be overlooked by fans of the franchise or genre so your mileage may vary.

Topher

Gold Member

I stand by my point.

80 is absolutely a great score. 70, very good. 60 is just ok. 50 is mediocre or average, hardly "unplayable". Below that folks don't really care whether a game is 4/10 "bad" or 1/10 "absolute shit". Most ain't buying it either way.

Last edited:

Comandr

80 is absolutely a great score. 70, very good. 60 is just ok. 50 is mediocre or average, hardly "unplayable". Below that folks don't really care whether a game is 4/10 "bad" or 1/10 "absolute shit". Most ain't buying it either way.
Mm. Disagree. Imagine if ToTK got an 80, or even a 70. No one would be satisfied with those scores. Or if it scored a 30/40 from Famitsu. Percentage wise, that would be about the same score as a 75 or so on metacritic. That's very good/great, right? There would be carnage.

I stand by my point.
I'd argue 70s was too high for those two Pokemon games(on release). 70s should literally be for those 'Swimming in 7s' games that relish in a new idea but simply don't reach the higher highs of higher budget games, either due to slight jank(eurojank games) or being too short, having gameplay/level design that isn't quite A+ in execution, or doing things like relying on a sole mechanic as it's best aspect.

For example, there are some unique games based on anime licenses (like Berserk Dreamcast or Berserk and the Band of the Hawk) that would fit as 7.0 games.

I'd only see Dragon's Dogma 2 ending up with 7s(on release) due to really, really bad optimization and framerate issues.

//DEVIL//

will be lucky if its in the 80s. especially if they talk about the performance during the review. eh will get ugly.

GymWolf

Cannot imagine for the life of me why everyone is banking on low scores. Capcom has been on fire lately. Aside from perhaps performance issues on consoles (which I don't think is a fault of the game); this shit is going to be off the chain.
Maybe because cool gifs are not the end of the story?

If that would be the case, every game giffed by that sunhilegend dude would deserve a super high score.

Also, people played the deeply flawed first game so we keep our score a bit on the lower side.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Any idea if ps+ will be needed for this game ?
The pawns are auto generated anyway right ?
I am getting ps5 version I think. I have a bad feeling about pc requirements. I mean it will run better than ps5 but I think I would prefer dualsense and 29fps

Last edited:

Lux R7

Any idea if ps+ will be needed for this game ?
The pawns are auto generated anyway right ?
I am getting ps5 version I think. I have a bad feeling about pc requirements. I mean it will run better than ps5 but I think I would prefer dualsense and 29fps

https://www.reddit.com/r/PlayStationPlus/comments/1arezkl/dragons_dogma_2_will_not_require_ps_plus_for_its/
- the pawns are created by other players (and the main pawn by you), in the first game if you play offline there are offline pawns generated by the game itself

GymWolf

The Neogaf elitism is so fucking weird sometimes...
Yeah, hoping to play an high octane action game that is not even a looker at 60 fps in 2024 instead of unlocked 30 that go down to low 20s with hell on screen is too elite to handle in an enthusiast game forum.

The hubris on some people who want more than that is frankly unbereable :lollipop_squinting:

Last edited:

Mephisto40

7/10

Liked what I saw in the previews, but the actual gameplay I've seen from leaked copies, it looks more like Dragons Dogma 1.5 than a proper sequel

Happy to be proven wrong, and I will be picking it up once I finish FF7 : R

Last edited:

Portugeezer

I stand by my point.
Mid 80's has always been a great score for a game. 90+ meta is not an easy thing.

I loved the first game and Dark Arisen a lot, although it was definitely more ambitious than what it could achieve at the time.

I hope this is more than just a better-looking version of the first, especially in terms of story, dialog and quests, if so I'd love to play it.

Curious if an Eternal Ferrystone is in the game, or if they decide to make that DLC.

Top Bottom