• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen coming to PS4/XB1 (fall 2017)

Zeta Oni

Looks like there's nine new achievements/trophies:

Cheat Death
Defeated
Death in Bitterblack Isle.

Conqueror
Defeated
Daimon for the first time.

True Conqueror
Defeated
Daimon in his true form.

Hardened Veteran
Completed game in Hard Mode

Reached LV 100.

Reached LV 200.

Eye Gouger
Defeated the
Gazer in Bitterblack Isle.

The Inquisitor
Defeated the
Dark Bishop in Bitterblack Isle.

The Sprinter
Completed game in Speedrun mode.

The pro enhancements look like it's AA, Lightning and 4k resolution. Will upload screenshots in a few minutes.

Can you say if it's downsampled? Normally you can see it on the spot if a game has super sampling when it looks almost perfect with no aliasing at all.

DAY ONE! Not sure what class i should play though. When i played it on PS3 i played a sorcerer and really loved it. The magic in this game is done right. But man, i wanna climb monsters as well!

If I understand the classes correctly, magick archer allows you to do both- right?

Baalzebup

If I understand the classes correctly, magick archer allows you to do both- right?
Oh, MA has some really fantastic stuff under the belt, but there are plenty of big guns in the magic section which are Sorcerer only. MA is still a kind of a jack-of-all-trades class with all kinds of fun and unusual skills and attacks, some of which are absolute powerhouses, but Sorcerer is the old school hellfire and brimstone calling, walking artillery battery.

Jake2by4

That's a shame. The previous platinum already required two playthroughs but it was fun. Now it's four, and both of these modes are just busywork.

3 playthroughs. Finish the adventure a second time can be combined with hard i think and
speed run
can be done in like 2 hrs.

WITHE1982

DAY ONE! Not sure what class i should play though. When i played it on PS3 i played a sorcerer and really loved it. The magic in this game is done right. But man, i wanna climb monsters as well!

Trick is to play as various vocations to reap their benefits. Just playing as one from beginning to end will severely limit your character. Each vocation levels up different aspects (hp, mp, str, etc...) and unlocks unique abilities.

For example if you just played mage then sorcerer you'd have great MP but be like a glass cannon. You'd have very low stamina, HP and strength.

If I remember correctly my last game I played fighter (10 levels for hp), mage (20 levels for mp), ranger (20 levels for stamina), magick archer (20 levels) then assassin til end game.

This build calculator will help https://stackoverflow.github.io/dragons-dogma-stat-planner/

Zeta Oni

As long as Magick Archer has access to the Militant Dove magick bow, it is easily the best vocation for solo play, closely followed by Assassin (yes even post DA nerf)

There's already plenty of reasons MA is top-tier, but that bow allows free full HP regeneration after any fight with no downsides outside having to stay still while it does its magic and having to carry an extra weapon around, neither of which outweigh the massive benefit. Curatives can be pretty much saved for in combat use exclusively, and don't have a Mage in your party? No worries (for you, anyway).

bobawesome

Looks like there's nine new achievements/trophies:

Cheat Death
Defeated
Death in Bitterblack Isle.

Conqueror
Defeated
Daimon for the first time.

True Conqueror
Defeated
Daimon in his true form.

Hardened Veteran
Completed game in Hard Mode

Reached LV 100.

Reached LV 200.

Eye Gouger
Defeated the
Gazer in Bitterblack Isle.

The Inquisitor
Defeated the
Dark Bishop in Bitterblack Isle.

The Sprinter
Completed game in Speedrun mode.

These were already in the Steam release. You unlock outfits for clearing hard mode and speed run so there’s at least incentive beyond the achievement.

Oh, MA has some really fantastic stuff under the belt, but there are plenty of big guns in the magic section which are Sorcerer only. MA is still a kind of a jack-of-all-trades class with all kinds of fun and unusual skills and attacks, some of which are absolute powerhouses, but Sorcerer is the old school hellfire and brimstone calling, walking artillery battery.

Just to clarify- I can jump on monsters as a magick archer, right?

Tarahiro

My Xbox download finished this morning! Really excited to be able to play this again. I didn't realise how much I missed this game until this got announced.

JayEH

I was not expecting the PSN pre order theme to be...what it is. Got excited when I saw it was a dynamic theme only to be jebaited.

BigEmil

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEQ9IHEIMo0

Looks like someone's first animation project.
Hmm this theme seems too basic and low effort and the fire looks off should've been more viscous, wavy and less flat and circle and Dragon just staying there in one spot is boring and bland, guess I stick to my Persona 5 themes, I like the ambient sound at the end though
LOL yeah.

Truant pixel is GAF's mOdus, a mod here. Disappointed that the theme is so underwhelming. And the nice music stops mid-way too :(
Oh lol

i was considering triple dipping, but I wanted to do warrior and i forgot just how useless they are with this game's balance. I've done nothing but assassins and while super fun, I wanted to give something else a try.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I forgot this was coming out. I never beat the PS3 versions. I actually didn’t get too far in it. My wife beat it a few times already, but she’ll probably go through it again just for fun.

I’m looking forward to giving it another go. I loved what I played, but got sidetracked by other shit and work stuff back then. I’m still busy now, but I should be able to squeeze in more time this time around.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
i was considering triple dipping, but I wanted to do warrior and i forgot just how useless they are with this game's balance. I've done nothing but assassins and while super fun, I wanted to give something else a try.

Warrior got fucked so bad in BBI, hahaha.

Doable, but no doubt the hardest class to complete it with and there are plenty situations where running away is the preferable option.

Too bad, since I legit think Arc of Deliverance is the coolest skill in Dragon's Dogma.

bobawesome

Doable, but no doubt the hardest class to complete it with and there are plenty situations where running away is the preferable option.

Too bad, since I legit think Arc of Deliverance is the coolest skill in Dragon's Dogma.

Really? I didn't know that. I've played through BBI several times as a Warrior (it's the only class I've really played) and I've never had a difficult time.

EGOMON

Hmm i didn't know that, i finished the PS3 version twice using the Warriors class lol
I started as a fighter then switched to Warrior and liked it so kept using it even in the new game+ run.

This time am planning to go different path but will start with fighter then switch to something new.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Really? I didn't know that. I've played through BBI several times as a Warrior (it's the only class I've really played) and I've never had a difficult time.

Hooo, well, I think DD in general is really not friendly with Warriors considering the amount of enemies with high weak spots, physical resistance, high attack damage--which Warriors, unlike Fighters, cannot block, fast moving enemies, etc etc. And the pawns aren't reliable in terms of dealing specific target in range, a pain when dealing with enemies like Metal Golems. Also, Warriors IIRC have bad stamina growth, so enemies that require you to climb for their weak points may cause additional pain. All these issues are especially prominent in BBI.

Doable, but other classes definitely have it easier than Warriors (except maybe Sorcerers)

Hmm i didn't know that, i finished the PS3 version twice using the Warriors class lol
I started as a fighter then switched to Warrior and liked it so kept using it even in the new game+ run.

This time am planning to go different path but will start with fighter then switch to something new.

Actually, I would recommend every player, no matter what their end class preference is, to start with Fighter,at least for the 1st 14-15 levels. The class boasts the best Stat growth compared to the other two during that range.

EGOMON

Hooo, well, I think DD in general is really not friendly with Warriors considering the amount of enemies with high weak spots, physical resistance, high attack damage--which Warriors, unlike Fighters, cannot block, fast moving enemies, etc etc. And the pawns aren't reliable in terms of dealing specific target in range, a pain when dealing with enemies like Metal Golems. Also, Warriors IIRC have bad stamina growth, so enemies that require you to climb for their weak points may cause additional pain. All these issues are especially prominent in BBI.

Doable, but other classes definitely have it easier than Warriors (except maybe Sorcerers)

Actually, I would recommend every player, no matter what their end class preference is, to start with Fighter,at least for the 1st 14-15 levels. The class boasts the best Stat growth compared to the other two during that range.
Yup i felt that naturally the Fighter is the best to start.
But what would you recommend to do next? for someone who likes to be up front and deal melee damage (of course beside a warrior)

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
What is the difference between the two? (Its been more than 5 years since the last time i played this, so my memory kinda fuzzy lol)
I guess both uses Daggers, but the secondary weapon differ?

Strider boasts the most balanced Stat growth among all the classes in the game. If you say, level from 14 to 100 as Strider, no matter what class you may want to change into later on, even magical ones, you will not suffer.

Assassin is full physical. Highest physical attack growth in the game, though suffering in Stat like defense.

Functionally they are somewhat similar, with only a small difference here and there, such as Assassin being able to wield sword as well as shields.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Striders are where it's at. Get your pawn on support, supplying you with healing and elemental weapons, and you'll be a blur of arrows and hot death.

EGOMON

Strider boasts the most balanced Stat growth among all the classes in the game. If you say, level from 14 to 100 as Strider, no matter what class you may want to change into later on, even magical ones, you will not suffer.

Assassin is full physical. Highest physical attack growth in the game, though suffering in Stat like defense.

Functionally they are somewhat similar, with only a small difference here and there, such as Assassin being able to wield sword as well as shields.

Striders are where it's at. Get your pawn on support, supplying you with healing and elemental weapons, and you'll be a blur of arrows and hot death.

Hmm decision decision.. I am not good with arrows but i would like to wield a sword

Exentryk

Some stats stuff for min-maxers:

FxOVsrC.jpg

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Hmm decision decision.. I am not good with arrows but i would like to wield a sword

You should go Assassin, then :) Although I wouldn't recommend leveling up exclusively as the class unless you purposefully want to create a glass cannon.

You will need to carry a mage pawn though out of necessity in BBI especially, considering some enemies are only susceptible to magic damage so if all you have is physical you will have a bad time.

Top Bottom