• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen |OT| deep down darkness

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Maybe they should just start charging $1.99 for "trophy packs".

I don't understand this. Why? There are games out there where dlc adds trophies, and games where dlc doesn't. Why isn't it uniform is all anyone is asking. It doesn't matter what anyone's personal views are of them. Why do some games have some features and some not?

Abylim

Like piratepwnsninja said, "Trophies are content?"

And just like some of you are already saying, I'm sharing my opinion. You may want the trophies there, they may add to your experience. I don't want them there, they detract from my experience.

Annoying immersion breaking pop-ups that I can't completely disable. If console makers gave me the option of turning them off, then I would have no problem with you getting your "content".

I absolutely agree there should be a way to disable them popping up. I see how that can be annoying, or break immersion. But they are definitely content. Being rewarded for doing something is content. Receiving something, in exchange for doing something. In game stuff was better (Unlock weapons costumes or abilities through doing crazy stuff) but trophies definitely add to my experience.

I dont get how I'm whats wrong with gamers this generation, either.
Gamers wanting something thats become normal is bad? I could understand if I was one of those people who bought games purely for trophies. I have never played a game for trophies. I love gaming. I dont like being ripped off, or rewarding laziness. This is the second time (in memory atleast) that capcom has cheaped out on trophies (RE4 was a joke.)

Look I wont turn this into a trophy thing. I just wanted to voice my dissatisfaction with capcom yet again dropping the ball on something everyone else is doing, and has done, since, what? 2007? I will buy the game, just not right away. I loved DD to tears, bought it and did literally everything I could in the game. There was no reward in game for it, aside from the experience, but I was rewarded with several trophies for doing something I really enjoyed. All I ask is that they do that again. Didnt need a plat, just some trophies for exploring the entire island, or getting new armor sets. Or killing the new badass guy.

In closing, I love DD. I do play games without trophies, but unfortunately it does negatively impact my enjoyment. I enjoy getting something extra from games, this gen has certainly altered the way I game. If that makes me a horrible gamer, and means I'm killing the industry, then I am sorry.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
If that makes me a horrible gamer, and means I'm killing the industry, then I am sorry.

If anyone actually argued this I'd question their sanity. Or at least ask for their gamer card.

Abylim

I don't understand this. Why? There are games out there where dlc adds trophies, and games where dlc doesn't. Why isn't it uniform is all anyone is asking. It doesn't matter what anyone's personal views are of them. Why do some games have some features and some not?

This, pretty much. I understand earlier games dont have them, and it serves no purpose to go back and add trophies into games. But it would be nice to have some consistency.

Anyways I've said enough on the matter. Not my intention to offend anyone!
I'm just sitting at home, with a foot that was just biopsy'd, killing time and enjoying my games. Probably a little grumpy lol.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
I don't mind the lack of trophies but it definitely is surprising. I mean, developers tend to add that stuff for small DLCs, and this is a significant expansion.

I am extremely interested in buying this game in the coming week with one very important point to hinge upon: Is there a way in this re-release to decrease the number of vocal expressions from the pawns? Can you turn off their babbling? Can you at least mute them and not have to mute the entire game? I had to stop playing the original because of them.

Kade

Yes, they are. Sorry, there's no real way to argue they aren't, whether you partake in them or not.

Trophies/achievements are switches the console flips when the player meets the criteria set by the developer for a game. They are also a complimentary feature that is technically not a part of the game's design and are a formalized version of "Let's see how long I can last with 5 stars in GTA!". They are less "extra content" and more of a deviation/mutation of what's already there. 99% of the time they effect HOW you interact with the game instead of WHAT you interact with. It's similar to speedrunning or pacifist playthroughs where you change how you want to approach the content as opposed to what content you are planning on consuming.

Most people consider content WHAT you interact with. It's fine that they exist and they are definitely a great way to deviate from the core game but I don't think they exist for the purpose of being content. They exist in the same realm as cheat codes and arbitrary rules you set up to give yourself a challenge. The only difference is how they are supported.

I was being sarcastic, but I do think that Capcom should have went the extra mile for new trophies if they're going to release an expansion on disc.

Eusis

The fact it's not proper DLC probably muddies the whole thing, especially if either Microsoft and/or Sony are opposed to an updated release getting separate trophies again, especially with saves carrying over. If they had to choose between adding trophies or allowing carryover save data, well, they made the right call.

I'd take more of the anti-DLC thing if it were about a whole game, but as it's just half way I'm mainly apathetic. Given how the Vita allows a lot of customization there I'm optimistic the PS4 will let me specifically disable what I want so I can have my trophy-less experience if I want it. Though I do wish they let you hide games or made them private.

Teknoman

I am extremely interested in buying this game in the coming week with one very important point to hinge upon: Is there a way in this re-release to decrease the number of vocal expressions from the pawns? Can you turn off their babbling? Can you at least mute them and not have to mute the entire game? I had to stop playing the original because of them.

They're just trying to let you know it's weak against fire.

But in all seriousness, I dont think so. Only to turn off cinematic camera angles and pawn subtitles.

I'm an expert

The fact it's not proper DLC probably muddies the whole thing, especially if either Microsoft and/or Sony are opposed to an updated release getting separate trophies again, especially with saves carrying over. If they had to choose between adding trophies or allowing carryover save data, well, they made the right call.

I would most likely agree with you. But this kind of stuff not being communicated to players is what makes the situation confusing. I think the Amalur dlc trophy debacle proves enough. (360 got achievements, PS3 didn't, devs basically said the people they farmed it out to were too stupid to program them in PS3 side)

So in anticipation of Dark Arisen, I fired up the Vanilla copy of the game. Slept at an Inn, and when the "Your Pawn has returned from assisting another Arisen message popped up" 10 or so of the entries where it's suppose to show the person that used my Pawn, it says "Invalid Data" and had no Rift Crystals or anything :(

This happen to anyone else?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
That GregaMan blog said that the Arisen talking with Assalam is not enough to raise his affinity points is one of the changes.

This one made me laugh out loud, hahahaha.

Alucrid

Banned
There are aggro gaining abilities with the shield but generally, nope, not much point. You'll be doing more damage than your pawns 95% of the time so there's no point in being a "tank".

There is a point in using Sword and Board though. Some classes use them to increase survivability while still being able to output a lot of damage.

edit: I used a Fighter pawn early in the game. It helped, but I soon outgrew that need.

Eh, I dunno. The pawns I used that had really good spells sometimes did way more damage than I could depending on the enemy.

So in anticipation of Dark Arisen, I fired up the Vanilla copy of the game. Slept at an Inn, and when the "Your Pawn has returned from assisting another Arisen message popped up" 10 or so of the entries where it's suppose to show the person that used my Pawn, it says "Invalid Data" and had no Rift Crystals or anything :(

This happen to anyone else?

I believe servers are down for maintenance.

Grisby

So yeah in my first go around I mostly hired mage and sorc pawns that had support abilities or the almighty meteor/tornado spell.

I gotta say playing as a mage and experiencing some of the spell effects, like the giant ice pillar and lightning whip, is amazing. I didn't know (or maybe I forgot) that you could chop the ice pillar in half and stand on the damn thing.

~Kinggi~

Banned
I am really looking forward to playing this. It seems to have an odd mix of Japanese and western sensibilities when it comes to old-school rpgs. Been waiting intentionally for this expansion release. What are the DLC other than the expansion thats included?

GAF, help me out here.

I just picked this up for the PS3 – I’ve put in a ton of hours on the original for the 360. I really loved how I made my character and main pawn look. I know it’s obviously not possible to transfer your characters from the 360 to the PS3, but my question is this: can you somehow see your characters ‘stats’ so I can simply copy what I did from the 360? My friend has my 360 copy so I can’t check...and it’s been ages since I played the game so I can’t remember if you can see how you made your characters. If you can't I guess I'll have to just try and copy them the best I can. Thanks.

Wasn't really planning on grabbing this, but now that it's coming out so soon, I think I'll be picking this up Tuesday. Loved the original, and I had a high-level character, so why not?

GAF, help me out here.

I juts picked this up for the PS3 – I’ve put in a ton of hours on the original for the 360. I really loved how I made my character and main pawn look. I know it’s obviously not possible to transfer your characters from the 360 to the PS3, but my question is this: can you somehow see your characters ‘stats’ so I can simply copy what I did from the 360? My friend has my 360 copy so I can’t check...and it’s been ages since I played the game so I can’t remember if you can see how you made your characters. If you can't I guess I'll have to just try and copy them the best I can. Thanks.

Yeah, you need to buy a scroll of metamorphosis for 5,000 rift points from the rift store and after that you save and quit. At the title screen there should be a new option edit character to pull up the character creation screen with the details for your character. If you already beat the game you probably have it.

Quick question, is this a game you can just pick up and play, or do you need to study a bit on the mechanics ala the Souls games?

Either way is fine, I'd just like to know in advance.

Yeah, you need to buy a scroll of metamorphosis for 5,000 rift points from the rift store and after that you save and quit. At the title screen there should be a new option edit character to pull up the character creation screen with the details for your character. If you already beat the game you probably have it.

Nice. Time to get my copy back from my friend! Thanks!

Quick question, is this a game you can just pick up and play, or do you need to study a bit on the mechanics ala the Souls games?

I personally think it hits the sweet spot. It’s pick up and play friendly.....but if you wanna dig the game has quite a lot of depth in it too.

I believe servers are down for maintenance.

That's such a bummer if accessing it at exactly that time will prevent me from ever getting the rift crystals from those 10 people. The message isn't coming up anymore :(

GAF, help me out here.

I just picked this up for the PS3 – I’ve put in a ton of hours on the original for the 360. I really loved how I made my character and main pawn look. I know it’s obviously not possible to transfer your characters from the 360 to the PS3, but my question is this: can you somehow see your characters ‘stats’ so I can simply copy what I did from the 360? My friend has my 360 copy so I can’t check...and it’s been ages since I played the game so I can’t remember if you can see how you made your characters. If you can't I guess I'll have to just try and copy them the best I can. Thanks.

After I beat Dark Arisen (Bitterblack Isle) with my old Arisen on 360, I'm switching to a PS3 copy myself for a brand new adventure! Woo woo.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
It is. The damage has been done for me, though.

It's bloody hilarious, sorry, hahaha.

I always sheathe unsheathed my weapons every time I check-in with him, hahaha. It's good that I don't have to do it anymore.

Although it would be much preferable if they fix the whole romance mechanic altogether.

Just be aware about how the game treats level up in relation to the class system since it *can* screw your character in a bad way if you do not know about it.

After I beat Dark Arisen (Bitterblack Isle) with my old Arisen on 360, I'm switching to a PS3 copy myself for a brand new adventure! Woo woo.

image.php

Sounds good to me!

Eusis

You actually CAN'T make a sorcerer right away, you have to reach Gran Soren first. Not unless that changed.

IJoel

At the risk of being thrown rocks at: Does this XP add quick travel options? I tried to get into the original, but the lack of quick travel (along with the repeated mobs over and over again) quickly took care of my interest in the game.

Eusis

At the risk of being thrown rocks at: Does this XP add quick travel options? I tried to get into the original, but the lack of quick travel (along with the repeated mobs over and over again) quickly took care of my interest in the game.
To an extent. If you have your old save on the system you'd want to play this on you'll get an unlimited ferry stone. If not, you can now buy them for 5000 gold instead, and either way there'll be a port crystal network to tap into.

IJoel

To an extent. If you have your save on the system you'd want to play on you'll get an unlimited ferry stone. If not, you can now buy them for 5000 gold instead, and either way there'll be a port crystal network to tap into.

Sounds like good news. I have the 360 version still so I'll try getting back into it in preparation for the XP.

Eusis

Just be aware about how the game treats level up in relation to the class system since it *can* screw your character in a bad way if you do not know about it.
Missed this. Huh, I wonder how bad of an idea it is to be a Strider right now? I thought it was nice you had the freedom to mess around, but I guess you don't have as much freedom as I'd have liked.

I was a fighter and warrior beforehand by the way, then went to Strider when I was originally going to be a mage or sorcerer until I realized I kinda lacked the funds to get myself good gear, whereas I could bum some of that off of my pawn that started as a strider.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Know of a good place to learn about this? The game seems really interesting.

Missed this. Huh, I wonder how bad of an idea it is to be a Strider right now? I thought it was nice you had the freedom to mess around, but I guess you don't have as much freedom as I'd have liked.

I was a fighter and warrior beforehand by the way, then went to Strider when I was originally going to be a mage or sorcerer until I realized I kinda lacked the funds to get myself good gear, whereas I could bum some of that off of my pawn that started as a strider.

Basically since the game ups your stat based on the class you're in during the level up--and the game does not allow stat reallocation or even doing stat compensation when you change classes--you need to have an end-goal ready in mind in order to map the most optimum way to get there.

For example, say you want to make your Arisen as a Magick Archer (MA). However, almost all of MA abilities use Magic stat as its damage modifier, and MA only gets IIRC 3 magic every time the Arisen levels up. So if you want to maximize MA's damage potential, it would be tremendously a lot better to actually level up as a Sorcerer first since Sorcerer gives 6 magic at levels up. Ironically, leveling up exclusively as a Sorcerer first before turning the Arisen into an MA will give him/her a much more considerable damage boost as an MA when compared to leveling the Arisen as MA exclusively.

Random bandits on the road are destroying me. :(

lol

Love this game. :)

Yep, they're nasty early on, trying to detour you from going up that Hill and beyond! When in doubt, run! You'll be able to bash them up soon enough :D

I'm so excited to hear impressions from those who are playing DD for the first time with Dark Arisen!

Eusis

Basically since the game ups your stat based on the class you're in during the level up--and the game does not allow stat reallocation or even doing stat compensation when you change classes--you need to have an end-goal ready in mind in order to map the most optimum way to get there.

For example, say you want to make your Arisen as a Magick Archer (MA). However, almost all of MA abilities use Magic stat as its damage modifier, and MA only gets IIRC 3 magic every time the Arisen levels up. So if you want to maximize MA's damage potential, it would be tremendously a lot better to actually level up as a Sorcerer since Sorcerer gives 6 magic at levels up. Ironically, leveling up exclusively as a Sorcerer first before turning the Arisen into an MA will give him/her a much more considerable damage boost as an MA when compared to leveling the Arisen as MA exclusively.
This actually does make some sense, most other games (DQ for instance) only allow you to join these hybrid classes after mastering two others. So in that instance I'd rather switch to Sorcerer at least until the vocation's maxed, then switch to Mage Knight to build on my Warrior/Knight levels.

Going to need to look into stat breakdowns though, strider for a few levels probably isn't that bad but I'd have to see if the stats are relevant here or not.

^^^^

Similar situation with Fighter/Warrior and Assassin. Assassin gets the biggest Strength modifier per level, thought its defense modifier is low, so it pays to mix it in even if you want to be a dedicated Fighter/Warrior.

Top Bottom