• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma Demo Impressions

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Ah, didn't know that we made a demo thread. Pasting my last post from face sitters here.

It seems like only some normals could be canceled, I wasn't able to cancel a heavy attack. Need to experiment some more.
[] - Light attack
/_ - Heavy
L1 + [], /_, O - specials
R1 + [],/_, O - specials
L2 - Sheath
R2 - Grab

You guys should try light combos with specials thrown in. Like SSx said, timing matters in order to do different combos so don't just mash buttons.
Tell me more about the face sitters.

I will have to queue this up over remote play. Damn you grace Chen.

Derrick01

Banned
Well that was....not very good. I really need to learn to stop preordering games so far out in advance but I guess since there's nothing else coming out in May I'll take a chance. I got credit paying half of this off anyway.

So I think that this happens with the MT framework when the video output of the console doesn't match the game resolution.

Dead Rising and RE5 where 720p, while Dragon's Dogma is sub-hd, so there's no way to get rid of the tearing...

It's less tearing on 720p but 100 percent still there.

Cheech

Downloading the demo to give it a fair shot, but launching a week after Diablo 3 is just god tier stupidity. This is the very definition of "sent to die".

And yes, a PC version would be good. The reason for the black bars, I'm sure, is because they couldn't get the game to run full res at an acceptable frame rate.

What I am kind of curious about is how it compares to Amalur, a game I still haven't bought yet because of a shaky demo. It annoys me that Mass Effect 3 is $29.99 today, but Amalur still hasn't come down to that price yet.

Regardless, looking forward to checking it out tonight. The Griffon fight looked promisingly cool.

ReaperXL7

Have not played the demo yet, but it sounds like what they should have done was take a page from Kingdoms of Amalur for their demo. Give people like an hour or so of unfiltered open game to play with, maybe with a timer. Don't restrict class (this is important imo), and just let people play a chunk of the game and it will impress people more I think.

The Reckoning demo did wonders for that game, I hope more devs take note, because thats the right way to do a demo for an Open world game. Does not seem like a good idea to not let people get a taste of mage gameplay imo.

The Griffon fight looked promisingly cool.

Sadly, and I'm hoping to not burst your bubble here, but it's not really that awesome. Everything's over so fast. :[
The chimera at least gets to do shit before you kill it, the gryphon just got completely destroyed.

Enjoyed myself. The second mission against the Griffin >>> the prologue section though the Chimera fight is longer. Jumping on it, slashing it down, staying on it as it spirals back to Earf, and watching my pawns pounce into action was the highlight of this demo. Combat was fairly simple to pick up since I've watched a ton of footage of this game already, but it was still heavier than I thought it would feel now that I got my hands on it. Character customization was pretty good and I managed to create 2 characters that *gasp* look good.

The letterboxing mixed with the packed HUD is annoying though. I can deal with the bars on 2.39 movies, but with a game it's distracting, for now anyway.

It was all over too quickly, but I know from the streams that these battles take much longer under normal circumstances. Still, I wish they'd done what Crackdown + Kingdoms of Amalur did and gave us 30-45 minutes to free roam and really get a handle on the game.

brickface

Just re-did the prologue quest without any extra pawns - very tricky, and it took so long I ran out of oil for the lantern and couldn't see myself for most of the end of it. So the Fighters have a Skyward Slash that can ground the harpies pretty easily and it's cool being able to combo into the blink slash (I think it's called) kind like Dante going into Stinger.

I don't mind the stuff all over the screen, well maybe the Pawn chatter, but being able to toggle it on an off makes that point moot.

bryanee

I love the combat in this, so satisfying.

Spoiler for the semi boss in the first quest.

The Chimera, twas a good fun battle. It had 3 section each of which had their own life bar so at first I was just attacking random parts of his body but took some damage so I climbed on his back and cut off the snake part in a single blow which was awesome.

I then worked on the goat section by attacking from the sides or on top. And then it was an all out assault on the Lion part. We beat that fucker down.

Second big battle in the second quest

It was against a Griffin. I was fighting some Goblins when all of sudden a Griffin landed on us from the right knocking us all down. I fired arrows at it from a distance to knock some health and when he landed I grabbed on to him and he took to the skies with me stabbing him in the back and head. He fell to the ground and the rest of my team pummelled him.

Gotta say I loved the demo, some screen tearing. The visuals are very nice but also bland but I think thats because of the western look Capcom have gone for but it works well enough, creature design is excellent. The AI is also to be applauded, they never got int he way, always helped, healed at the right times etc.

I really cant wait for this now.

Ricker

Liking it but I fear it will to hard for me...the Griffon fight was a confusing mess,tried it 2 times and couldn't beat him and since there is no difficulty setting in this game and it's suppose to be even harder at night,I sense some frustration I don't like to deal with in games anymore...also the blurry graphics on the 360,on top of those black bars and that annoying blur didn't help...have fun guys but I'm cancelling my pre-order today.

Anteater

Sadly, and I'm hoping to not burst your bubble here, but it's not really that awesome. Everything's over so fast. :[
The chimera at least gets to do shit before you kill it, the gryphon just got completely destroyed.

It's the pawns that's killing it too fast
KuGsj.gif

If you screw around with it a bit it could do some really strong attacks, but if the pawns burn its wings and holding him down it goes down fast

JJD

I has way more trouble with the griffon than I had with the chimera, but both of then were not that hard to begin with.

Liamario

Banned
It'll be a bit of fun, but the screen tearing makes my eyes bleed.
I wasn't planning to get it and the demo hasn't change my mind.

brickface

Ha ha! I don't know if you remember but Capcom did a sort of competition where you could suggest some names for characters in the game and they might be included. So I did and my gamer tag's in there :D Now that is frickin awesome!

Atruvius

I'm loving this demo. I played the Griffin battle for the third time and now with my created character. I actually spent around an hour to create Snake as my character and Raiden as my pawn.

Snake turned out pretty well (considering the character creator), and Raiden looked fairly good in the character creator but absolutely awful in-game.

I think I'm gonna pre-order this today.

sublimit

Banned
So i discovered that the reason i had trouble with the controls previously was because one of my controllers has a problem with the left analogue stick.I switched to another controller and everything plays as it should.

Phew that was a big relief lol.

Anteater

Are there any reasons to make a heavy weight pawn?

I just got my pawn to launch me to the air and she launched me right into its claws when it was doing that that crushing down attack.

RPGCrazied

Downloading now. Just woke up, lol. Nice to hear it has no tearing, I don't put up with that. I'll take low fps over that anyday. Dragon Age Origins for PS3 the fps gets pretty low, seems under 20 sometimes, and it didn't bother me.

taoofjord

Negative impressions? I can't believe it. Capcom has annoyed the crap out of me over the past few years or so but this game has blown me away. It's technically beautiful (the ps3 version has some fantastic antialiasing going on), has a classy art direction (even if you disagree at the very least you have to admit that it's not offensive like so many other fantasy games) is incredibly polished (great menus in a japanese style, tons of options for the end user that most other developers overlook) and creative (great use of a shield in combat, grabbing enemies, climbing, create child and elderly player characters, extremely dark nights). Moving the character around feels perfect and the animation is amazing. There's weight to the character when you turn. The writing is surprisingly well done for a capcom game as is the voice acting.

Few games blow me away as much as this one did. This will likely be one of the highest reviewed games of the year and a major contender for the media's game of the year. And I think that almost everyone coming away with a negative impression will have a change of heart when the reviews hit and the extremely positive player impressions hit that remind people that this is still a western rpg with all the good stuff.

SparkTR

Well that was....not very good. I really need to learn to stop preordering games so far out in advance but I guess since there's nothing else coming out in May I'll take a chance. I got credit paying half of this off anyway.

Nothing else coming out in May? Whaaa?

It'll be a bit of fun, but the screen tearing makes my eyes bleed.

Downloading now. Just woke up, lol. Nice to hear it has no tearing, I don't put up with that.

I'm getting mixed messages here.

RPGCrazied

I heard the 360 version has tearing, and I've seen it in videos. But the PS3 version videos I've seen 0, and people that have played the demo already for the PS3 said it has 0, but does have some fps issues.

Spat_triate

I wasn't expecting much (this game wasn't even really on my radar), but I really liked the demo. One of the few games this year that I'll probably buy at full price.

DrFurbs

such a mixed reception for the game and apparently it has been in development for nearly 5 years according to a video posted in the official thread.

Could it be an early build of the game?

such a mixed reception for the game and apparently it has been in development for nearly 5 years according to a video posted in the official thread.

Could it be an early build of the game?

Since it's gonna be released next month, I don't think it is an early build (unless Capcom wants to fuck with our minds), just a very limited one.

SparkTR

I heard the 360 version has tearing, and I've seen it in videos. But the PS3 version videos I've seen 0, and people that have played the demo already for the PS3 said it has 0, but does have some fps issues.

Well, I guess I have to pick my poison then. I hate both issues equally.

Anteater

So does the 360 run better than the ps3 version?

So people are saying it's the same demo from E3 last year, already know it's the same 2 levels before, but I wonder if it's the exact same build and everything, do they usually have different builds of the same demo? Since the Griffin fight isn't really a section they take from the actual game, Capcom might've just used the same one...

From what I gather, other way around. Unless you don't mind tearing, then it does have a better framerate from what I've seen.

Yeah I was wondering about the framerate

LegatoB

Few games blow me away as much as this one did. This will likely be one of the highest reviewed games of the year and a major contender for the media's game of the year. And I think that almost everyone coming away with a negative impression will have a change of heart when the reviews hit and the extremely positive player impressions hit that remind people that this is still a western rpg with all the good stuff.
"Well, gosh, my experiences with the demo turned me off the game, but, Game Informer gave it a 9/10! They know what I like better than I like! I'd better buy it anyway!"

Anteater

Since it's gonna be released next month, I don't think it is an early build (unless Capcom wants to fuck with our minds), just a very limited one.

Well, it's the same demo from E3, and it's Capcom =P

Maybe it's just me wanting that it's an old build, but I thought if Capcom don't really care to make a better demo that properly demonstrates the concept of the game, I doubt they'd waste the time to make a new build of the same demo with all the updates they did with the full game, since it's still playable, there's no reason to other than for the performance and such the majority won't notice.

Luigiv

So just played a bit of the demo. I went through the character creator and created my character first. I think she came out decently pretty give the options I had (would have liked a better selection of mouths though). After that I played a little bit of the prologue and the field quests but died during both relatively quickly. Gameplay definitely feels more Demon's Souls than Monster Hunter so far.

mujun

Awesome as expected, can't wait to get the full game! I need this to satisfy my RPG/action cravings, Witcher 2 is not living up to my expectations.

Played the demo.

A bit disappointing. Hud is horrible, so many icons and useless text, and it felt more like an action game than an actual A-RPG game.

But I think that will buy it, the archer gameplay reminded me of my role playing character I use with my friends.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
After playing the demo several times this morning, I'd like to offer my mature, detailed, dispassionate dissertation on Dragon's Dogma.

*ahem*

OMFG I JUMPED ON A GRIFFIN AND IT TOOK FLIGHT UNTIL I SET IT ON FIRE. I need this fucking game so bad it hurts. I am honestly amazed at what you can do in this so far...if the rest of the game has things like this, I'm going to be one very happy gamer.

john tv

Loved the demo. Managed to avoid playing this game up until tonight, but wooo boy am I ever gonna be there and ready on day one. It's like Monster Hunter on speed. SO READY

Sephon

The different impressions confuses me greatly, almost sounds as if you're playing different games. But I guess it's all about the expectations.

I tried the game out for 10-20 minutes before heading back to work, and I liked it.
- Combat was pretty much what I expected, with a plus due to the multitudes of combos and special attacks. I liked it!
- The graphics was as I expected, nothing awesome but doesn't turn me off either.
- Character creation was a bit simplistic but still gets the job done decently.

The little bit of the demo was a kick in the balls though, seems way too short and won't entertain me for an entire month while I wait for the comlete game to be released.
I hoped that it'd contain 2 cities and an area between that I'd be able to explore and traverse with at least a cave or so, with perhaps a 1 hour time-limit....

Just 1 month more now... 1 long, painful month... Fortunately D3 will make the last week or two go by faster.

is the demo coming to 360 this wednesday, and if so, is it gold exclusive for a week? I'd rather give it a shot on 360 but I don't have gold.

Top Bottom