• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma Limited Edition (JPN) and Berserk equipment screens

Zaptruder

Banned
Awesome @ berserk costumes

Fucking serious @ another dragon statuette with half a body in rock shit.

Look... dragons are cool, but what's the fuckin' point of making them a bust? Give 'em their legs, and have a little mini fig of a human battling it to provide with a sense of drama and scale.

New Dev Blog

Q: How does the player improve the AI of the main pawn?

A: Initially, the AI will improve based on the player’s job and the decisions the player makes. When making the game, we took great consideration to make sure that this was a game about raising an AI, not just programming one. I want to take on a disciple and raise it as my own. I do not want to hire a robot and program it with tedious rules and parameters. So if the player just plays the game as they want to, the system is set up to support this and will train the pawn.

The pawn will attempt to match the player’s job and fighting patterns and start to do things on their own. And if that is not exactly how you would like them trained, simply go to Pawn Guild, sit in the chair, and talk to your pawn. The pawn will then ask the player on what and how they should improve. So if you happen to find an effective way to take down an enemy, the pawn will use the same effective attack style the next time you face that enemy.

Customizing the looks of the pawns does not mean it’s just adjusting its visual appearance. If the pawn is heavier set, then the limit on the amount of weight that the character can hold is increased. If you carry more than what the character’s carrying capacity is, then it will take more stamina to perform any movements and your overall speed will be reduced. The characters weight also has an effect on how soon the spent stamina can be recovered. Also, depending on how big the character is will affect the way the character interacts in the game. Bigger characters will have a longer reach when they attack, but they will also be easier to hit. For smaller characters, they walk slower and the speed at which they move about is different. Not just the size, but the sex of the character can also have an effect on your gameplay strategy. Since the characters’ reach and the stamina are major points, and I think you will experience these when you start playing the game.

We need to have a talk...

JJD

OMG!!! Berserk??????? I need this!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope it's available in the US version!

Edit: YEAHHHHHHHHHHHH it is!!!! Day one!

So this is what came of the Dragon's Dogma and Berserk cross promotion that started a couple of weeks ago.

Although Raider's Captain Guts isn't as interesting as the Black Swordsman or the Berserk Armor, it is a welcome addition to the game.

I was already quite interested in this game and now it is a must buy.

UrbanRats

Where's the real Dragon Slayer, Capcom?

Dragonslayercolour.jpg

Do we need to kill a dragon or not?

Anteater

That pawn system feels like it could make or break the game, I hope they execute it well, I think I would stick with my own pawns though since it seems to require more and more money to rent high level pawns, and it might just break the game if you rent the good ones (or waste money).

Not looked into this game before but just watched a trailer today with the guy fighting a big snake and some eagle thing.

I'm getting a Demons / Dark Souls vibe from it

What kind of game is this? Action RPG game in the vein of the souls series or something else?

Anteater

Not looked into this game before but just watched a trailer today with the guy fighting a big snake and some eagle thing.

I'm getting a Demons / Dark Souls vibe from it

What kind of game is this? Action RPG game in the vein of the souls series or something else?

It's an open world action game with rpg elements (I think), but I don't know how it compares to demon's souls though, you get to build a party with AIs and different classes, etc, it feels a bit light on the role playing but with a heavier focus on combat, they haven't shown much on the leveling aspect/skill progression.

They have their own spin with the open world combat like being able to climb environment/enemies, enemies have weaknesses and so forth.

It's an open world action game with rpg elements (I think), but I don't know how it compares to demon's souls though, you get to build a party with AIs and different classes, etc, it feels a bit light on the role playing but with a heavier focus on combat, they haven't shown much on the leveling aspect/skill progression.

They have their own spin with the open world combat like being able to climb environment/enemies, enemies have weaknesses and so forth.

Wow that sounds really good, starting to get really interested in this game.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
I want that Berserk stuff. What's the word on this game, anyway? Are we looking at a potential kickass game? Crazy fans need not reply.

wait, capcom? oh man, this is a dangerous slope

Anteater

I want that Berserk stuff. What's the word on this game, anyway? Are we looking at a potential kickass game? Crazy fans need not reply.

I think it's mostly ranging from "don't care" to positive, since everyone are just basing it on videos, a lot aren't interested because it lacks coop, since it's Capcom, people are kind of doubting the pawn system and the AIs (AIs in RE5 and LP2 I think weren't that good), the combat and some of the ideas look really sweet though, you could watch some of the videos on classes and boss fight to find out, they seem to have some cool ideas here and there and cool interesting moves.

People mostly don't really like the art though because it looks "generic", but I think they're ok thanks to the decent looking armors and clothing. As far as everything else they seem to look solid, nothing too lol worthy, the world seems a bit barren is also a popular complaint.

Stahsky

I think it's mostly ranging from "don't care" to positive, since everyone are just basing it on videos, a lot aren't interested because it lacks coop, since it's Capcom, people are kind of doubting the pawn system and the AIs (AIs in RE5 and LP2 I think weren't that good), the combat and some of the ideas look really sweet though, you could watch some of the videos on classes and boss fight to find out, they seem to have some cool ideas here and there and cool interesting moves.

People mostly don't really like the art though because it looks "generic", but I think they're ok thanks to the decent looking armors and clothing. As far as everything else they seem to look solid, nothing too lol worthy, the world seems a bit barren is also a popular complaint.

Interesting. I appreciate the response. I do remember not enjoying the art direction, but its not that bad. Not enough to warrant any hate. I think I will look up some class videos and such. I didn't even know there were videos of that.

Thanks my man.

Haunted

Consider this: it's one of Capcoms's biggest internal project to date (150+ people working for several years) - the reason they went to international developers to work on some of their franchises (Bionic Commando/Dead Rising 2) was to free up people inside of Capcom to work on this game instead.

Gameplay-wise, expect an Action RPG with squad-based big boss hunting akin to Monster Hunter.

Where's the real Dragon Slayer, Capcom?

Dragonslayercolour.jpg

Do we need to kill a dragon or not?
Well, the costumes are from the Golden Age arc.

Stahsky

Consider this: it's one of Capcoms's biggest internal project to date (150+ people working for several years) - the reason they went to international developers to work on some of their franchises was to free up people inside of Capcom to work on this game instead.

Gameplay-wise, expect an Action RPG with squad-based big boss hunting akin to Monster Hunter.

Okay, you have definitely won me over. I guess I'll be keeping a close eye on this one.

You fucking dependable man, you.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
This game is now on my radar. I hope it is as good as kingdoms of amalur. Never been one to like medieval type of games but lately kingdoms of amalur and the witcher has piqued my interest.

Anteater

IGN Preview

To facilitate this, Dragon's Dogma employs "stray bosses," as Itsuno calls them. Among the army of wolves, harpies, and other sword-and-sorcery fodder, the world is littered with big and scary monsters just waiting, similar to Skyrim's dragons, for someone to stumble their way. These appear in addition to the main bosses, such as a hydra, griffon, and other mythological beasts. "We want players to try to take down bosses in different ways," Itsuno continues.

This is precisely what I did.

Cast, climb, stab in the face...it's your call.

I tried something different after each death in my many failed fights against a Cyclops. As a mage, my weak magic missiles couldn't kill before the one-eyed enemy closed the gap and stomped on my head. Another time, I tried smacking him while he snoozed, and then climbing up his back when he woke up. The big guy brushed me off his shoulder like I was dust. Finally, I grabbed a flying harpy, steered it above the Cyclops, and dropped onto it. Again, he beat me to a pulp. Even at a low level, I got a great impression of the combat flexibility. Though I didn't succeed in slaying the thing, everything I tried worked as intended.

:lol, that's interesting IGN

Top Bottom